Chapter 2
409 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Bai Li stood outside his father’s office. He used to feel terrified every time he thought of his father. Since he was reborn there was a sense of comfort at the stable meanness his father exuded. He never knew what to expect from his mother, with her constant mood swings and he was waiting for his sister to cut his throat while smiling. It was only his father who remained unchanged in his hate. The devil you know was always better than the devil you didn’t.

 

Knocking on the door he waited. 

 

“Come.” Bai Tai’s voice was hoarse. 

 

This did not surprise Bai Li, if you shouted that much it would be more surprising if his voice didn't show any side effects after.

 

“Father,” he said as he entered the room. He couldn’t see the dislike in Bai Tao’s eyes that he expected. “Father. I do not like and you do not like me. So let us end this relationship.”

 

Bai Tao stared at him. It was the first time he saw his father at loss for words. “What do you mean?” he sounded incredulous. 

 

Bai Li could see his father trying to figure him out. After all, he was the first person to oppose his father. Although he was only 15 at this point in time, he had styled himself as the man of the house. Certain of his position as successor and protector. He was spoilt. Even with his toxic home situation, he lacked for nothing. His decision to leave his mother and sister to fend for themselves was the most inconceivable thing.

 

Bail Li had a choice and he was choosing to save himself. At first, he was plagued by guilt. His decision seemed selfish even to himself but after thinking he realized that he was just a child. His parents were supposed to protect him not the other way around. 

 

“I will not fight father. I already know father has a son outside.” Bai Li saw his father’s eyes darken dangerously. “I will not stand in the way of him inheriting.” Shock crossed his father’s face, followed by an incredulous gaze.  

 

Two reasons existed why he wouldn’t fight his brother for Wen Shi industries. One, he had already done that in his last life and won. He didn’t need to do it again or take up the problems involved in a giant company that was rotten at its core by the time the fight concluded. Two, he was a reincarnated businessman, wouldn’t it be a waste if he couldn’t make a new life and company for himself.  

 

Bai Li knew he should have the upper hand. Yet he couldn't shake the feeling that he didn’t have all the information. “On the other hand. Father will support and pay for all my expenses until I am twenty. I am tired and see no reason to pointlessly carry on. Neither mother nor Wei Wei should be my burden.”

 

“Bastard,” Bai Tao said with a hint of something in his voice.

 

“En,” Bai Li agreed. “That’s how we know I’m your son.” 

 

For the first time in both his lives, Bai Li saw pride in his father’s eyes. He doubted his decision for a second before remembering what protecting his family and discarding himself cost him in his last life.

 

Bai Tao leaned back. His hands crossed over his chest, appraising everything. “And what exactly am I paying for?”

 

Bai Li was prepared. Walking forward he put a document on the desk. It took him a long time to draft this document. The first version was too polished. It took several revisions before it was neither too childish nor too professional, yet still leaving no openings for his father to exploit. “Read it through and have lawyers on your end draw up the provisions.” 

 

There was a surprised look in his father’s eyes when he saw the 40-page long document. He seemed amused before he picked it up and started reading. A perplexed look took over Bai Tao’s face. After a moment a glint appeared in his eyes as he got serious. 

 

“If I fought with Bai Fang for Wen Shi industries. I would win.” Bai Li saw no point in hiding this. He won in his last life with hard work and being more ruthless. His brother who grew up sheltered and loved couldn’t compete. In this life, he had more experience and the answer to the questions and situations he might face. How could he lose? 

 

“You even know his name. Not even my father knows.” Bai Tao said. He seemed calm and oddly proud.“Who knew you were this smart.”  

 

Bai Li laughed. “You know what the worst thing an unwanted future heir could have?” He moved and looked out of the window. After his father left he took over this office and spent countless lonely nights with this view. He didn't hear his father answer. “Potential. I didn't want to die young. So I could only be average.”

 

“I might have liked you more.” Bai Tao said reading the document. His gaze looked contemplative.

 

He got the urge to laugh again. Bai Li remembered when he graduated early in his last life. He had done it behind his father’s back. The pain of being thrown down the steps was still clear. “You would have been the first one to break my neck.”

 

Bai Tao didn't bother refuting but seemed to disagree. 

 

“Can you bear to abandon Bai Wei?” Bai Tao seemed to be searching for something. He looked up from the document ever so often, his gaze intense.

 

Bai Li looked at the man he would grow to resemble, almost to a scary degree. The face he always loathed looked worn out. “She is my sister, not my child. Why should I die for her?”

 

“Your mother will not change, and I will not treat her better. Bai Wei will have no one to comfort her. She might go crazy.” Bai Tao was testing his resolve. 

 

Bai Li laughed, there was a strange comradeship between him and his father. He loathed it but at the same time couldn't stop the happiness he felt inside. He’d always wanted to be like this with his father. “She might go crazy even if I protect her. All we know is insanity. With two selfish parents and bastard brothers as examples who would expect any different.” 

 

They stayed in silence, Bai Tao going through each page of the document he’d been given.

“Thorough, innovative, and greedy.” Bai Tao’s assessment spoke exactly to Bai Li’s business persona. “I’m not sure I want you competing against Bai Fang. Who will take over Wen Shi isn’t decided though.”

 

It was ironic that the most he’d laughed since being reborn, was in a conversation with his father. “Why would I do such a tiring and thankless thing?” Why didn’t his father’s responses match his expectations? 

 

“Your mother is holding onto Wen Shi for you.” Bai Tao was still fishing for something. The document slipped from his finger. He leaned forward and tapped on it twice. “This cuts you off from inheriting. Even if you regret it later.”

 

God this was so funny. “No, father. Mother is holding onto Wen Shi for you. She had us, as a way to make sure you couldn't leave. When grandpa dies Wen Shi will be the only thing left of use in her arsenal. Why would she leave it to me knowing how much it means to you? After all, my mother can’t have any more kids, isn't that right father?”

19