Chapter 21
352 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bai Fang seemed to have run out of serious things to discuss. This was fine by Bai Li. If his younger brother brought up more difficult topics, he wouldn’t know what to do.

Bai Fang grew up in a comfortable and loving home. If not, he would not have this personality. Bai Li noticed that there didn’t seem to be one decent adult around him or his siblings.

They moved onto the couch after the floor became uncomfortable. Bai Fang was talkative. He didn’t run out of things to say. They were on a dramatic retelling of a gym class that ended up with one of his classmates having a bloody nose.

When told by Bai Fang, the drama seemed better than a blockbuster movie.

He didn’t have to contribute anything to the story. He wouldn’t have any stories worth adding anyway.

That was how Bai Tao entered the room to find them.

Bai Li felt hesitant to send his brother to Lee Shan. He didn’t have good experiences with his mother. He didn’t want the overly intuitive Bai Fang to realize what happened.

It was already a blessing that they did not argue in front of their son.

“It won’t be a problem,” Bai Tao guessed why his eldest son was showing reluctance. “It's time to head upstairs for dinner.” He kept his tone light when he spoke. It was an indescribable feeling to see both his sons lying together.

“Is big brother coming?” Bai Fang sounded hopeful.

His little brother was cute, but he wasn’t that cute. He wasn’t willing to sit through an uncomfortable dinner. “You can come here to play after school tomorrow.”

Bai Fang contemplated the merits of the offer. When he made up his mind, he jumped off the couch and raced to the door. “Bye, big brother.”

Bai Li considered himself to be in good shape, but he didn’t want to move after playing with Bai Fang. Just jogging wasn’t enough. It would be good if he took up a sport.

“Dad, I need to talk to you when you have time.” Bai Li needed to strike while the kettle was hot.

“I will come back later.” Bai Tao said. “What are you going to have for dinner?”

Bai Li had checked the kitchen earlier. It was fully stocked. “I can make something.” He wasn’t the best cook, but he learned how to feed himself when he went to college.

Haha. He forced an awkward laugh. “I’m not ready to eat from other people.”

His dad’s expression darkened. “Can you cook?” There was nothing he could say after getting that reply.

“Well enough. I won’t be surviving on ramen if that is what you are worried about.” Bai Li watched as Bai Fang’s limited patience started to run out. “You and Bai Fang can eat with me tomorrow so you can judge for yourself.”

Bai Tao was content with that.

Bai Li let out a relieved breath when they left.

He didn’t mind the company, but it was good to be alone.

Having a space that was his.

Bai Li went directly to the door. Changing the passcode as well as put it in his fingerprint. He scoured the entire apartment for listening devices and cameras. Thankfully, technology wasn’t at a point where things were wireless, or he would have needed an RF detector.

The apartment had much more space than he needed. It was due to the large size why he felt like he could breathe. No one could enter this space without his permission.

Moving to the kitchen, he hummed as he made dinner.

It was three hours before Bai Tao turned up. He only raised an eyebrow when he realized that his passcode couldn’t open the door anymore.

“How was dinner?” Bai Li asked to be polite, more than because he wanted the answer.

Bai Tao gave a dry laugh. “It was delicious.”

It was a miracle that his father didn’t have digestive issues.

“Who is Julian?” The question plagued him since he met the doctor.

“He is your cousin.”

Bai Li was not close with any of his father’s side of the family. Since Ping An isolated him, there wasn’t the opportunity to get to know them.

That explained Julian’s attitude. As a doctor, he wasn’t professional. As a family member...he was still crappy.

He remembered all of the important people, so Julian must not have played a significant role in his last life. It didn’t seem right considering the amount of faith his dad put in the doctor.

“We need to talk about Bai Fang.” Bai Li tested the waters. When his father didn’t raise his guard, something in him loosened. “Bai Fang is smart.” Bai Li saw pride start to creep into his dad’s expression. “He is too smart.”

“What do you mean?” His voice was neutral.

“Bai Fang listens. He can understand what is and isn’t said.” Bai Li took out his phone and played the conversation they had.

Bai Tao dropped his head into his hands. His shoulders slumped the more he listened.

Bai Li wouldn’t do more than this. “You need to clean that up.” As a son, it wouldn’t be right to get more involved in his father’s affairs.

“How do you like your brother?” Bai Tao asked. He knew what to do. It was already bad enough that his son had to point it out.

“He is so straightforward I can barely handle it.” Bai Li had a hard time handling his brother’s direct approach. When you behaved a certain way, it was hard to think that everyone wasn’t the same.

That was why scheming people had a hard time. It was impossible for them to think that not everyone was plotting against them.

They also did well because they prepared as if everyone was targeting them.

Bai Li didn’t want his brother to learn about manipulative and scheming people. He would have to be hurt for it to be an effective lesson. Bai Tao would still need to go through it. Bai Li wouldn’t stop it or interfere.

It was just the same with Bai Wei. She needed to learn to be alone and how to depend on herself.

“What did you think of Lee Shan?”

He thought about it before answering. “She is a pitiful person that has potential. She would have done well as an ordinary man’s wife. As a mistress, she is the worst possible choice.” He did not censor his opinion.

Bai Li gave a piece of unwanted advice. “You might want to start toughening her up if you want to maintain your relationship.” Lee Shan would not have the time to mature before she had to confront Ping An.

“I am happy that it wasn’t her idea and sad that it was not her idea.” Bai Tao said. If Lee Shan was smart, it was a problem. If she was stupid, it was a problem.

There were no perfect relationships. It would be up to his father to decide what he wanted. Lee Shan developed into a suitable partner for Bai Tao that might not happen this time around.

It wasn’t his problem. This stepmother or another stepmother didn’t make much of a difference.

“Are you bringing Bai Mei in?” Bai Li asked.

Bai Tao was conflicted on what to do. He met with his former secretary. She stuck with her story, but it was impossible she didn’t realize something was wrong. That meant she kept quiet on purpose. “Do I have a choice?”

Bai Mei was tricky. She wasn’t entitled to anything, but if she lived with them, she might grow to think she was. The only saving grace was that she was still young enough. She would forget what she was taught.

Bai Li didn’t think for a moment that Rose Jones wouldn’t give up her daughter. While it was not what she originally planned, she was smart and flexible. The minute she realized she had been used, she cut all ties and left the country.

It was hard to know what she would do since her daughter was still young, but the decisive way she left Mei in the past made him think she always had it in the back of her mind that she would need to do that.
In the end, Bai Li couldn’t contain his curiosity. “Aren’t you worried about leaving her with Lee Shan?”

“I wasn’t before, but I am now.” Bai Tao did not think that would be a big issue. He did not cheat on Lee Shan, but at the same time, Lee Shan was not in a position where she could hold him accountable if he did.

Ping Zen would not care about Bai Mei. It might be best that she went to live with the Bai Family. She might have her grievances, but she would have an easier life.

“We can take Bai Fang with us.” It would be better to show Bai Fang in front of his grandfather. “Bai Wei Should not be introduced to him yet.”

Bai Fang would need his grandfather’s protection. Bai Li realized that his mother’s scheme this time was to remove him from that protection.

Ping Zen would not interfere within reason. His mother wanted to act beyond her father’s bottom line.

21