Chapter 36
498 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bai Li couldn’t believe the week passed that quickly. He had a firm grasp of the social hierarchy in his grade and the school.

For his class, Anne White was the queen among the women. She didn’t stand out much, but she had undeniable control of all the girls. The girls turned to her for advice and to sort out conflict. She organized the group while still maintaining her innocent persona. Without the knowledge from his last life, he would have been fooled by her act.

The situation on the boy’s side was messier. There were several cliques but no definite leader. On one side, there was Marcus Share, and on the other side, there was Eddie Black. Not all the boys were willing to join either group, so there were small factions littered around.

Bai Li coming in was detrimental for both factions. Don’t misunderstand this to be simple high school politics. These friendships and hierarchies carried over into their adult lives. With everyone spread out for college, these connections could only be formed in high school.

During his last life, Bai Li was a wrestler who didn’t hold weight in these people’s eyes. In this life, he was willing to find a few good friends, but he had no interest in the rest.

Bai Li had been targeted by the dumb ones, and the smart ones offered themselves up on the second day. He would take his time to get to know the intelligent ones before he decided which one to let near him.

How did that saying go? No eternal friends or enemies, only eternal benefits? Friendship was best when you were on a similar level, it was only then that give and take happened naturally, without anyone feeling slighted or dependent.

Bai Li wasn’t interested in either Marcus or Eddie. If he hadn’t let go of Wen Shi, these two would be good to have in his social circle. Since he wanted a more relaxed life, he needed to avoid these two.

After today the dynamic would switch again.

The car carrying Ping Zen, Bai Tao, Bai Fang, and Bai Li pulled up. This was bound to send another shock wave through the school population. All these students would take the news home. Sending a flurry through the upper class.

It was good. When people scurried around, it was a good opportunity to make money.

A group of bodyguards came forward. The whole group dropped off Bai Fang before accompanying Bai Li to the high school section.

Parents rarely showed up to the school conferences. Instead, they sent secretaries or family members. On this day, they would spit blood when they realized they missed the chance to form a connection with the Bai and Ping family.

The parents that did show up were rejoicing. It was a natural environment. There was no way they could have staged a meeting here. If they chose the right words, they would not leave a bad impression in people’s minds.

Start talking about children and then move on to business. Bai Li saw all of this but turned away. Neither Ping Zen nor Bai Tao was easy to manage.

Everything flowed smoothly. His grandfather and father spoke to his teachers and interacted naturally with Bai Li. This would not be enough to remove the rumor about Bai Li not being favored by the family, but it would be enough to make restless people think twice.

The parents left, and the children went to lunch. Classes would resume for the afternoon session.

Bai Li returned to school after having lunch with his grandfather. Bai Tao had been shooed off, forced to return to work.

Taking a step into class, he was amused by the silence that greeted him. These kids were too cute.

The dumb ones were shooting him concerned looks. The guy who came over on the first day was glaring at Bai Li. This dumb one was not resigned to the change in their positions.

Anne was the first to come over. She batted her eyes twice. Bai Li would have thought she was interested in him. He wondered, how many men would fall into that trap?

“Bai Li. We are holding a welcome party this evening. Do you want to come?” She kept her voice light.

The whole class had their ears tilted in his direction.

“Sure.” Bai Li said with a smile. “Where is it?”

Anne giggled. “It’s at the Blu Parrot.”

Bai Li nodded to show that he heard. He smiled at Anne and saw the smile freeze on her lips.

The Blu Parrot was a famous spot. Bai Li was a staple there during his middle school years. This spot was chosen to test him. He didn’t think Anne knew, or if she did she was pretending not to.

Bai Li laughed. Her eyes danced to Eddie before she winked. She sent herself over to get a blade on purpose. Anne was the type that could wrong herself to get the most benefits. Should he steal her over to work for him?

She pushed her brother and father out after she’d been pushed to the edge. Bai Li wouldn’t mind pulling her over when she needed it.

He added her to his plans. He would wait to see if there was an opportunity to make a move.

Class for the day ended without a fuss. He went home to drop off his stuff and change before heading back out.

The car pulled up to the Blu Parrot when he got a call. It was from Knox. He hadn’t heard from him in a while.

“Bai Li, what are you doing back in that place?” Knox asked.

“There is a gathering for school. What does it matter?” Bai Li asked. He didn’t get upset at the intrusion. Knox wouldn’t call just to bring up this small thing.

A deep voice tickled his ear as Knox laughed. It wasn’t the man’s usual laugh. This laugh had a sinister flavor.

“How interesting. Your good friend from middle school also brought over his friend from high school to play. They even change venues at the last minute.”

“I know.” Bai Li said simply. He’d already gotten people to look into the gathering.

Eddie was still too inexperienced. Someone in his group had suggested Blu Parrot as a way to test Bai Li. He didn’t even doubt if the other person had any other intentions.

There was silence on the other end. “Isn’t this risky?”

“Is my mother still busy?” Bai Li countered.

“Yes. She has no time to focus her attention elsewhere. She also has to lay low less she attracts unwanted attention.” Knox had only just found out the reason that Bai Li went to the hospital. It wasn’t his place to get involved, but he could not stand by and do nothing. Lead poisoning had serious complications. Bai Li’s life would have been damaged for life.

“Since she is busy, I should take the chance to clean up the people around me.” BAi Li watched the people going in and out of the bar.

“Shouldn’t you lie low?” Knox asked.

That is what I would like to do. Bai Li couldn’t help the wry smile that tilted the edge of his lips. “Ping An is not a forgiving woman.” The day Bai Li left her on the floor of his father’s office was the day they became enemies.

He would be a fool if he didn’t start preparing for when his mother returned. Lying low would not work. Ping An would be coming back to clean him up.

“Bai Li.” Knox had a lot to say, but he didn’t continue. He wasn’t in a position where he could recklessly give advice. “I know the owner of the Blu Parrot. He will be looking out for you.”

Bai Li was shocked, he didn’t think he would be receiving more help. Interacting with Knox was dangerous, but it was too comfortable. “Thanks,” he said.

The call continued for a while longer before coming to a natural end.

Getting out of the car, Carpenter fell into step with him. There were other bodyguards in the area and some who had already entered the Blu Parrot. They would be behaving like regular patrons unless something happened.

With a look around, he could tell that he wasn’t the only one being extra careful.

He found the room where his classmates were gathered. The first thing that caught his attention was that the classes were already on the table, in front of a seat.

“Bai Li,” Eddie called.

Bai Li took a step into the room and didn’t protest when he was guided to a seat.

Let the games begin.

17