Chapter 7
16 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked at a stream, where an old bridge used to be. In its place, a series of small ponds had formed. Even so, after collecting in the pond, the water in the stream overflowed back down its original path. 

“I guess nature always finds a way.” I said, looking at my reflection in one of the ponds.  

Short auburn hair fluttered in the wind, pink lips curled into a smile, and eyes, like green emeralds, looked back at me. I recalled the mirror Narses had made for me when I first came to this new world and I wanted to make one of my own. 

Trying to make a mirror was one of the first things I tried that wasn’t just another explosive projectile. However, the mana that was used only ever formed the mere shape of a hand mirror. Its head, where a reflective surface should’ve been, was a disc of shining light. It was certainly something I didn’t want to stare at for too long.  

I formed a small ring over the palm of my hand, and, by making spin it as fast as I could, found that it gave off a very light breeze. Proceeding to add several layers of those same rings and spinning them also, every breeze each layer gave off cumulated enough power that it could be compared to a small hand fan. 

It was the same shimmering orb I had shown to everyone at breakfast, but its spin was much, much faster. It was easy enough, despite Narses’ remarks on how something slower proved something about my skill. So, why can’t I make a damn mirror? 

While staring at the pond, a realization dawned on me. Moving mana could affect the air. Even the balls of light I had used as projectiles made noise as it cut through air. That’s not even taking the resulting explosions into account. 

In a sense, mana was like an element, able to affect the physical world around it, but it was, first and foremost, something that I could manipulate at will!  

Using mana, I might be able to purposefully manipulate the air. If I could do that, then I could also manipulate the water vapor naturally present in said air as well. Perhaps that’s how Narses conjured his mirror. 

Instead of starting with water vapor, however, I used the pond that already reflected my image back at me. It required an extra layer of concentration, but it was less intensive than I expected. 

As water raised up from the surface of the pond, I discovered the particulates in the water had begun to filter out! The resulting water was so pure that, when I sloshed it around in my mouth, I could only taste myself. Still, I couldn’t help but gulp it down until there was nothing left.  

Hmmm... there shouldn’t be any bacteria in it, right? I guess I’ll know if I get diarrhea or something. 

I collected more water for my experiment and formed the water into a flat disk. However, nothing was reflected. On the contrary, I could see right through it! But, of course I could. It’s pure, clear water. I don’t know why I thought it would work. 

Perhaps it would work if I added some backing to it. Dirt was as good a backing as any, right? It was very plentiful and was what formed the foundation of the ponds and their reflective surfaces. At least, that’s what I thought as dirt flew up from beneath me.  

When it did, only small insects filtered out, but the amalgamation of dirt remained intact. I got pure water from the pond, but dirt is just a compound of sorts. Peculiar, but not important right now. 

Dirt clumped together on the back of the water disc, but it still didn’t work. Light was just reflecting off of its surface and into the dirt backing. To counter this, I tried adding walls around the water disc, until I was looking at it through a small tunnel.  

It worked. I guess. The still surface of the water disc reflected my image back to me, but the image was blurry and highly dependent on the light around me. 

I mean, I get it. Mirrors reflect images made from light bouncing off of objects, but the water disc hardly qualifies as a mirror. It’s far too cumbersome to use it the way it is. 

When Narses made his mirror, it was an actual mirror! Not this lame dirt and water bullshit! So, how did he even do it? I’ve got no clue. 

Without any other ideas, I concluded that the experiment was a failure. I clenched my fists in frustration as I wondered to myself. Is making dirt and water float the only thing I’m good at?  

“I just want to make a mirror!” I yelled, then I saw the water and dirt collapsed in on itself. My pseudo mirror construct became smaller and smaller, almost like it was disappearing into some hole in the fabric of reality. 

However, when the last of the water and dirt disappeared, a piece of flat glass with incredibly reflective silvered backing was left in its place. 

“This... it’s a mirror, isn’t it? Oh fuck, did I just do some alchemy?”  

I recalled learning about mirrors in school, it’s how I know how mirrors work. Maybe it was physics class, but I don’t remember. Still, I had completely forgotten what composed an actual mirror, but here it was, reflecting my stupefied face back at me. What did I even do to make it? 

I focused on the mirror, intent on making more of it. A flat pane of glass with silvered backing, that’s what I want. I even clasped my hands together and formed a circle with my arms. It’s the only way I know how to show my seriousness with this alchemy stuff going in! 

The mirror hungrily devoured all the dirt and water it was fed and steadily grew in size. Then, I wondered why I was limiting myself to just dirt and water. So, I fed it some rocks and even parts of a nearby tree. 

Eventually, I was faced with a mirror that was almost as tall as I was. Impressed with my work, I admired my reflection in the mirror. If I could make a mirror, what else could I make? 

“Huh, did I get stronger?” I said to myself as I flexed my arms. My muscles felt harder than they used to be, but I didn’t do anything that would warrant such growth. How strange. 

I picked up a rock and threw it at a tree as hard as I could, to test my strength, but the impact was too strong! It blew a hole into the tree as it shattered and fragmented into the trees behind it! I’ve got a damn cannon for an arm! 

My legs felt rather strong as well. It made me wonder... I crouched down and jumped into the air with as much force as I could and I shot up far above the trees.  

In hindsight, I should’ve thought against it more, because I found myself quickly descending towards the ground. Again.  

Narses wasn’t here to save me, though, so I tried to make myself float. It was the first thing I thought of, but it was too late. I grit my teeth as I crashed into the ground, face first. 

“Blehh.” I spat out the dirt in my mouth. It tasted foul and felt crumbly in my mouth, but I was still alive. “Oh fuck, that was something. I better be more careful next time. That was no joke!” 

I climbed out of the hole I was in and patted myself as clean as I could, but my clothes were tattered and had holes in them.  

Maybe I could fix them with magic. Dirt from the ground flew to the holes in my clothes and so did the dirt that was still stick between my teeth. Thank goodness I checked. I also pulled away the dirt that still remained on my clothes, effectively cleaning them. 

I watched as the holes slowly closed, like my magic was healing a wound. It was fascinating to watch. Was this how clothing got patched up in this world? 

I looked down at what I was wearing. It was fixed, sure, but it was so boring and drab! 

Over my linen underwear, I was wearing a red, long sleeved shirt that hung just above my thighs, a white shirt underneath, and brown pants that can only be described as such. They’re just pants. No, actually they’re worse than just pants. They have no damn pockets! 

It almost made me wish I still had my purse from Earth. It could carry so much stuff in it, but then again, my leather belt had some fairly large pouches on them. None of which carried anything at all. 

It used to be Lionel's when he first started adventuring, when he was a young teen. It explains all the pockets. My leather boots were his as well. They were both very old, but they seemed better than no pockets and sandals, so I swapped them. 

I’m sure he won’t mind. After all, he’s dead. I felt some tears roll down my cheek. While I can sympathize with Alex’s feelings, I wiped away the tears and carried on. 

What was the fashion around town, anyway? Alessa and Rose both wore dresses, so maybe that was the norm for women. This world seemed rather medieval, despite having access to running water. Maybe that was part of the reason why Narses told me to grow out my hair.  

I searched Alex’s memories. Am I in one of those places? 

Will I stand out too much if I wore ‘men’s clothing’ around town? Oh fuck, would they judge me for it and refuse to help me take down Dahlia? Fortunately, nothing in Alex’s memories indicate such a thing, but perhaps the archives are incomplete. 

At the very least, I would like to do something about the texture. It’s just so rough. Hmm... That’s right! I can just make it softer. If I could make a mirror, why couldn’t I make silk? Not just synthetic silk either. Real silk. The idea of having soft clothes again made me laugh with excitement as I made the mana in the air travel around me. 

The fabric that comprised my clothes soon become light, airy, and, most importantly, luxuriantly soft! I rubbed the fabric and it was so smooth and utterly gentle on my skin. What bliss! The question now is, does it also look as good as it feels? 

Looking around for my mirror, I found its shattered pieces scattered on the ground. I suppose it simply fell when I was no longer focusing on it, but I need it whole again. I want to look at my reflection.  

Thank goodness Narses isn’t here. I’d rather appreciate my work without his usual style of commenting. 

The mirrors broken fragments floated to me, but there were several dozen pieces. Fitting each piece together would have been a pain, I didn’t even know where to start, so I’ll treat each piece like clumps of dirt and water.  

It’s magic, why not? Right? And so, I made them melt together, reforming my mirror with ease. It was almost exactly as it was, but some pieces might’ve been lost. I should be careful where I step if I don’t want my foot to get stuck with broken glass.  

However, broken glass wasn’t my most immediate concern. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, hoping to admire my new and improved silken clothes, but I could hardly see it at all!  

It was completely see through! 

My eyes darted around to my surroundings as I covered myself with my hands. Really. Thank goodness Narses isn’t here. 

Although, would he even be able to enjoy a situation like this? Could he even get it up? I should ask. Actually, no, I’m not going to ask him that. He might offer to show me something I don’t want to see. I mean, he threw out a barrage of magic when I teased him for his drunkenness. Things might get drastic if I question his manhood. 

Yet, I didn’t want to turn my clothes all the way back to its linen material. Why would I, when I can settle for reverting only the outer most layer? That way, the linen on the outside can keep me covered up and the silk on the inside can keep me nice and comfy. Especially my underwear and my socks. 

Ah, magic. To think I could make such wonderous things and it hardly costs me for than some dirt! 

1