Chapter Three: A Day with The Team
1.9k 10 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Esmeralda could feel her body as if it was growing a bit, she was still a hand-size baby dragon but she can now control her wings to flap as she wish, it's more about the shoulder bones then to clenched your entire back she learned. She also tried a lot but still can’t find a way to use her abilities, the best one she wanted to use is Fly which is still unavailable, Hardened Scales seems boring as frick.

The people that adopted her was a team of four adventurers, calling themself “The Freedom Group” which was a bit weird. With Marc Omal, her mom being the leader of them; yet he seems to be the young one. The Freedom Group was living together in a wooden two-story house they bought in a small village. Next to the house—apart from other houses—are farm fields, barnes and noteworthy: a really nice river. Where they occasionally practice at, with the eyes of children and fangirls nearby who was curious about adventurers.

Today, Esmeralda sat on a fence nearby while Marc practiced his swordsmanship next to the riverbank. Marc is wearing a normal leather shirt with short sleeves which really shows his masculinity which was usually hidden behind heavy iron armor. Though being the only swordsman and melee fighter in the team; as Esmeralda observed, he seems to be quite friendly and laid-back, shown by how he spent more of his time around town working than to actually practicing.

What caught Esmeralda’s attention in a bad way though, wasthe townfolks around, who keep kept her and touching her wings in curiosity.

“Kekkk!” She yelled at a you town girl who tried to touch her head. Having the girl pedalled back a few steps but still was giggling. It was when something caught their attention again.

“Longsword Move: Divine Slash!” Marc said exhaled loudly and clenched his grip on his iron sword.

The thing was covered by a black mis- no, dark roaring flames are raging in pain and bloodthirst on the blade of his otherwise normal longsword. He slashed; Esmeralda saw air molecules being ripped in half, space and time corrupts on where the powerful slash passes through. He carefully avoided any human or tree nearby, aiming for the river’s flowing water.

The water got splitted in half, the quote on quote wound that left seems unrecoverable. It took roughly eight second for the water to recover  itself and flow again, as if it never understood that it died.

“Hah… Let’s not… do that again.”

thud

Marc fell on his back, visibly exhausted and out of breath, sweats began streaming down his face, back and stomach. His eyes were getting dim as he tried not to pass out from that.

“Ek?” Esmeralda panicked, she jumped down from the fence she was sitting on and ran towards Marc with four smol limbs, jumped on him, continuously jumped and stomped on Marc’s chest as an attempt of CPR.

“Ha, I’m not dead yet my daughter.” Marc chuckled, coughing a bit then spreaded his arms out to the floor rest. In response, Esmeralda immediately snuck inside his shirt and used his leather shirt as a blanket to rest aside him.

“Oh my heavens, they are so cute together ahhh!” Fangirl screams can be heard in the near distance.

...

“Say, Vel... What do you think about us?” Marc said, using his index finger to rub Esmeralda’s skin.

‘Mom, you do know that I can’t speak right? And my official dragon name is Esmeralda?’ She thought, closing her eyes to enjoy them rubs.

“I never thought I would be a leader, all I did was gather people around and somehow we just got stronger, taking on more and more dangerous commissions as time flies.”

Marc sighed, he continued while Esmeralda looked up at him.

“Everytime we succeed at taking on a strong enemy, I’m proud to announce ourselves as the best team working team. But in the end, all I did was charge in first while Pearl, Mei and Rina do the rest. I know it’s important for me to vanguard my team, but what If I fail..?”

“...Eik?” Esmeralda climbed up Marc’s face and hugged his nose. Trying her best to comfort him with his sharp nails.

“I know, being negative isn’t going to help with the situation, what we have to do is quite the opposite, look forward and try our best!” Marc smiled calmly, it’s like he’s monologuing. “Well it’s lunch time love, they should be grabbing you any second now.”

Right after he said that, the front door nearby opened and Rina Wenswood—the elf with dark golden hair—walked out.

“You two are getting emotionally attached I see, single father and daughter relationship is cute, but also can cause misunderstandment.”

‘Actually, he’s my mom and I’m technically a male that got gender bender so…’ Esmeralda thought, thinking about how she’s more interested in Marc and not Rina or Mei, does that mean she’s gay? Or is it just hormones and completely natural? Gender bending is a weird concept.

“Come on honey, we’re having porkchops today.” Rina kneeled down and reached her arms out. Marc quietly lied still so Esmeralda could get off, running towards Rina and to jumped onto her arms. Sadly Esmeralda couldn’t jump that high and almost fell face flat on the ground, which Rina was able to react and caught her foot dangling mid-air.

“I don’t know if we’re raising a dragon or an undeveloped kitten to be honest.” Rina laughed loudly as she turned around and walked towards the house. But Esmeralda noticed Marc who was not coming.

“Eek!” She called out for Marc

“It’s okay, I’m join later!”

“For the last time Mei, we’re taking the B-Rank commission for crying out loud. We can’t live on bread and river water all day, doing low life stuff like killing slimes and wolves.” Pearl facepalm himself with a lowered aggressive voice.

“Oh, so I guess you’re the leader now mister Magmal? We can’t even probably do a lower tiered Rank dungeon without getting wounded and having to use at least 3 healing potions! We don’t have a healer can’t you see?”

“Uh… guys?” Rina said, covering Esmeralda’s eyes

“Yes I can see and I’m totally fine with that, if you’re so worried about it, maybe go learn some basic healing spells!”

“Of course you’re fine with that! It’s only Marc who got hit, all you did was throwing rocks and beams at the ogre!”

“Shut up, there are children here you two!” Rina said, throwing an apple on the table towards Pearl, which he caught.

“There are? Where?” Mei, tired of the conversation she just had with Pearl, immediately changes her tone and walks towards the dining table.

“Rina Wenswood and Esmeralda. Two beautiful children right here.” Rina pointed at her cheek, completely ignoring Esmeralda who is sitting miserably on the table, confused.

“Hello everyone, is lunch ready?” Marc opened the door just in time when Mei was plating the food for everyone. Everyone except Esmeralda, who would be sitting on Marc’s lap and get spoon feed by him.

It’s time for a family lunch.

“Esmeralda, say ahh.” Mei cut out a small piece of porkchop that is heavily seasoned with fresh salt that she added in and fed it to Esmeralda, who gladly leaned in and took a bite.

“Marc, there’s some sauce on your face man.” Pearl said, using his fork to point at Marc’s chin who is sitting across the table.

“Oh, you like the bone?” Rina said, holding a piece of leftover bone in front of Esmeralda’s face for her to chew down.

‘It’s juicy and tender, mhm!’ Esmeralda thought, happily biting on it.

That same evening went by pretty fast. Pearl practiced at the riverbank, trying to get a grip on air magic: his arch enemy. Rina stood and trained him as elves are known for their good connection with the wild, most notably air and woods. How does she train Pearl you might ask? 'A secret is what made a woman woman.'

While that was happening, Marc and Mei head into town for a nice walk, with Esmeralda peeking her head outside of Mei’s hip bag and admiring the bustling, lively yet friendly city street around her. Squeaking her voice as she saw a skewer stand, which Marc and Mei gladly stopped to buy some for her.

Soon, night falls.

“Okay, good night everyone!” Marc said, with the tired Esmeralda lying on his shoulder.

This two story wooden house has six rooms, a kitchen, a dining room, a bathroom and three bedrooms on the second floor. Mei and Pearl, being siblings, slept in the same room, but they insist on different beds, probably sibling rivalry. On the other hand, Esmeralda is sleeping with her mom, Marc.

Pocket and gleam of the moon shines through the uncovered window, wolf howled and cricket chirped are the only things audible in the shallow empty darkness.

It’s just another quiet night, which will pass shortly. But with an extra twist.

“So… heavy…” Marc wakes up in the middle of the night, feeling like some tons are being pressed against him, pinning him down on bed. 

He opened his eyes and looked under his stomach, where there supposed to be Esmeralda, now appeared to be… hair.

“Wha-”

A young girl was lying on him.

“Hey… Who are you?”

She opened her eyes to look at Marc. Tiredly rubbing one in confusion.

She appeared to be a teenage girl, with short dark greenish hair, her eyes is orange-yellowish, with the black irises being a sharp dot going downwards, not a round circle like normal irises does, her eyes looked like a reptile while her body was cold.

Most important of all, she’s completely naked up and down, lying on Marc’s body.

“Mom…” The girl said, expressing her confusion and then took a moment of realization “Woa… I can speak now…”

Marc, being visibly worried and dumbfounded, took a moment to look at the girl top to bottom.

“Is that you..? Esmeralda?”

66