Curse in the Family
54 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Greetings, Random-Corner-of-the-Internet,

I'm not entirely sure why I'm writing this. Probably a mixture of things. The main one being my mother's insistence that I need an outlet for my angsty teenage mood swings that doesn't involve piercings or black hair die. Words have always been Mom's jam. And based on the memoir she wrote while expecting me, she's always been an avid writer. So, here I am, wallowing in her shadow and giving this writing thing my best shot. And maybe it will help with my teenage angst. Or maybe not. Who knows?

But being the freak that I am, I'm not sure how anyone could expect me NOT to be angsty. Dad's full werewolf. Mom's half mermaid. And I'm not normal. It's making puberty... um... well... You - Random-Stranger-On-The-Internet - don't need to know about my puberty.

Moving on.

The other main reason I'm writing this is that I'm trying to make sense of yesterday. I was curled up while playing Animal Crossing in my bedroom. Well, "bedroom" is a strong word. It's a storage space above the family RV's cockpit so tiny that I can't sit up in it. But the point is, I was home alone when a shriek made me jolt.

I paused my game. Holding my breath, I listened as seconds passed in silence. Just as I thought that it was my imagination, a deep voice trembling with fear shouted, "Stop! Stop it! You're going to kill him!"

Dropping the switch, I rolled down from my cubby and scrambled out the passenger door. I bolted along the forest trail towards the source like an idiot. Adrenaline, hot and alive, kept me from thinking. There was no time. My senses were alert. The trees groaned as the wind rattled their branches, and I caught the metallic scent of blood over pine and ocean spray. The wolf in me growled and demanded I prepare to fight.

My panting and footsteps drummed in my ears. The closer I ran, the clearer the scents became. There were three strangers, and two were bleeding. But they weren't werewolves, mers, or humans. Their smells were musky and similar to raptures, like owls or eagles.

Brown wings fluttered through the mossy trees as I rounded a corner. I skidded to a stop. Two avians - flying human-like creatures with talons for feet - glaired at each other in the path before me. The trees boxed them in, leaving little room for their wings. Yet the woman, blood caking her hair and face from a gash in her head, hovered over the ground. Ferns and pine needles danced in the wind from her giant wings.

The man stood in her shadow with his wings and arms spread out as if protecting someone. Behind him, partly hidden by the forest, a teen with black wings lay curled up in a fetal position. The branches above him were bent as if he'd crashed through them. Blood oozed from gashes his left-wing, creating a growing puddle.

"He's our son!" the man shouted. "Help me save him!"

"I can't," the woman answered. "Not like this."

"Please," the man begged. "I know you love Cain."

"I don't. He's not worth losing my mind over and over," the woman said, her voice so calm and dripping with disdain it made me shiver. "Move and let me end this. Please."

"No," the man said.

The woman dove talons-first for the teen. With a flap of his enormous wings, the man launched herself into her path.

It was my time to be a hero. Pack helps when possible, and like my dad asks, 'who doesn't like kindness?' Growling, I sprang for the unconscious avian as his parents collided in the air. They screamed and cawed. The scent of the father's blood mixed in the air. Feathers and pine needles rained down as I jumped over the unconscious teen's wings.

"Your mother's insane, and I'm saving you," I told the teen, grabbing him from behind.

His head rolled back to reveal a hollow and gashed face half-hidden by matted hair speckled like eagle feathers. His eyes were shut tight, making deep wrinkles in his forehead.

He was a ragdoll as I trudged backward and pulled him deeper into the woods. The trees would keep the adults from flying and add protection. Despite being tall as an elf and his massive wings unfurling and dragging over the ground like a limp shadow, he was light. My arms barely strained under his weight.

"Please, please don't be dead," I pleaded.

The woman's gaze snapped down at me. Her face twisted in fury as she flew up. Her wings snapped branches. The man chased, but she reached her hand out in front of her and shouted, "Cast!" A ring on her middle finger glowed like a galaxy then disintegrated into a vapor that swarmed the male avian.

The man jolted as the vapor disappeared into him. Voice slurring, he shouted, "You really used a hunter's magic? Against your own kind? Against your mate?"

"You left me no choice," she answered. "I'm sorry."

As if invisible strings holding the man up were severed, he gasped and crashed into a large branch. His fingers twitched, but he didn't move.

The woman's attention snapped back to me.

Swearing, I stopped to grab a branch off the ground. My arms strained under the weight; it was almost heavier than the teen. My heart raced, and I had no idea what I was doing. Dumb as it was not to back off, the wolf wanted to protect the teen.

Glaring at me through the trees, the woman landed on the path and folded her wings. "Drop the boy and get out of here."

"No!"

"This doesn't concern you," she said, stalking towards me. Her steps were silent.

"You're in pack territory. Your son is now under our protection," I said, hoping it was true. The pack took in my mother, after all.

"Then I'll be quick," she hissed.

As she kicked at her son's throat, I leaped in between them while swinging my weapon.

Her talons sliced through the wood. The bits thudded to the dirt. I heard myself scream as terror froze time.

She was going to kill me. I'd messed up.

I raised my arms as she swiped for my head. Her talons tore through my forearm, pushing me back. My blood, warms and sticky, splattered against my face. My arms were ice.

A rifle's bang echoed through the forest.

Screeching, the avian collapsed to her side. Blood pooled from a bullet hole in her shoulder. Her chest rose and fell as she wheezed.

"Oh gosh! Oh shit! Oh fuck!" I spat, stumbling backward. I tripped over the teen's wing and fell on my butt.

The salty scent of my mother - Moray - mixed with those of gunpowder and my blood.

"Soren!" my mom screamed my name. She raced towards us from the trees with a rifle in her grip. "Soren, get back!"

The avian reached her shaking hand out in front of her then rasped, "Cast." A ring on her other middle finger glowed like a sunset as it dissolved into a vapor that absorbed into her own body. Her wounds seemed to vanish, leaving only blood. She sprang to her feet and flapped her wings, sending bits of debris flying.

A second gunshot rang out, but Mom missed. Branches snapped as the female avian flew up and escaped through the canopy, shrieking, "My family will kill you!"

0