The Fam
138 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey," I said, stepping into the hall to join Mom, Dad, and Lin. They gawked, taking in the horrid sight that was me. And I gawked back. Blood still painted Dad's flannel and Mom's violet cashmere. Most of it was mine. Mom's jeans were in tatters from the knees down. We were one happy family that looked like we'd walked off a murder scene.

I waved. "I'm awake."

No, duh, I was awake.

I sucked on my tongue, hoping to alleviate the dryness in my mouth and help with my awkwardness. It didn't help. 

Dad released the doorknob, knelt, and pulled me into a hug. The pressure sent fire shooting through the gashes in my arms. I grit my teeth to keep from screaming and waited for the ordeal to end. I refused to show that I was hurt: not after Mom's outburst.

"I'm so proud of you, Soren!" Dad said, pulling away and standing back up. "How are you feeling? Should you be up?" 

"Soren," Mom cut in before I could answer. "I'm so glad you're safe. I'm sorry. You weren't supposed to hear... that." Her voice wavered. 

I shrugged. "It's fine," I lied. The bright hall spun around me. "No need to worry. I'm chill... the med students don't need to look at me."

I didn't - still don't - want anyone knowing that my fingers were useless. My parents didn't need more reasons to worry about me. I'm sick of people fretting about me. And Mom was right. What could students do? Nothing I couldn't do myself, right? And it's not like it's safe for me to go to a human doctor.

"You need stitches, Kiddo," Dad said. 

"Exactly," Mom added. "And you're going back to bed until then."

"Uh. Yeah. No thanks." I winced, thinking of a needle pulling thread through my flesh. "Where are the avians I saved? Gotta talk to them."

"This isn't up for discussion, Soren," Lin said, her yellow eyes boring into mine with an intensity that should only be left for the sun. "You're injured, and the pack's med students are studying for situations like this."

"I'll clean my wounds myself," I said. I'd find a way.

"No. You won't," Lin said. "I will not risk the chance of an infection."

I stepped back and swallowed a growl. I wanted to tell Lin to back off and stop worrying about me, but the wolf in me needed to obey my alpha. And the rest of me was too tired to fight it. My autonomy wasn't my own in her presents - a curse of being part-werewolf - and I hated it. It scared me. 

Another wave of nausea and dizziness hit me. I tried to fight it, but my legs were noodles. My knees hit the embroidered carpet, causing a sharp burn. 

"Soren," all three adults called in unison. Mom and Dad knelt and hovered their hands over me as if I'd faint at any second. 

"I'm fine. Really. Just need a minute." Panting, I forced my face into a smile. "Where are the avians?"

Lin's pruney face flickered between concern and a blank slate as her gaze continued to bore into me. "Patience, Soren. It's my responsibility to keep my pack safe. You're part of that pack."

"Huh?" I asked. "Meaning?"

"Meaning, you need rest. You lost a lot of blood. And after the med students look you over, you can I can have a chat about what happened with the avians." Lin looked between my Mom and Dad as she continued, "Your parents can be present for that."

Mom nodded then offered me a hand. I ignored it and forced myself to stand. I stumbled forward but caught my balance. 

"Guess I'll find the avians on my own," I said, trying to step around the adults and escape down the hall. But my body felt as if it were moving through syrup, and I only made it a few steps. The dryness in my mouth raged, and the world refused to stop spinning. I was gonna be sick. 

"Soren," Lin said. "I understand that you want to see the teen you saved, but you can't."

"Yeah. Seems I'll have to meet them after I sleep for a century," I admitted. It took everything in me to keep my voice from shaking. 

Lin's face hardened as she looked between my parents, as if asking an unspoken question.

"Tell them," Dad said. "No point in hiding it."

Mom nodded, and Lin nodded back before crouching to look me in the eyes. Every muscle in my body seemed to tense. I tried to look away but couldn't. We were talking. My heart pounded. 

"Are they dead?" I asked.

"No. But I have something to tell you once you're back in bed," Lin said, ushering me back towards the guest room.  

I frowned but allowed her to lead me. The bed was miles away. My feet were lead. Lin didn't try to help me as I stumbled along. Part of me was grateful; another pitiful part craved her help. My parents followed, trusting Lin to take charge of the situation. I let out a sigh of relief when I sat on the bed and slowly rested my head against the pillow. The desire to sleep tugged at me, but I forced my eyes to stay open. 

"Tell me," I demanded. "About the avians." 

"Are you sure now is the right time for this conversation?" Mom asked. "Sweetheart, you look like you're about to pass out." 

"Now's fine," I said. "Tell me, or I won't sleep."

"While the reason is unknown, avians have attempted to kidnap werewolf pups in the past. And Moray mentioned the escaped avian used a hunter's ring," Lin explained. "Until the pack understands why the avians are here, all pups are to be kept away from them. That includes you, Soren."

I blinked, taking in Lin's words. Hunters: a coven of mages that specialized in capturing and killing magical creatures for the right price. They're also known for turning jewelry into weapons. However, there was only one glaring problem with the great-alpha's theory. "Yeah, hunters aren't real," I said. I would have rolled my eyes if they weren't burning. Hunters are like the illuminate: a story.

Lin frowned.

"Soren, don't be rude," Dad snapped.  

"Soren," Mom said. "You saw the lady avian use a hunter's rings."

"Yeah, the lady-avian probably got them from some mage pretending to be a hunter, or whatever. And if anything, she's the villain. She tried to kill her family! What kind of sicko does that?" I said. My voice started to slur, but I still added a snarl. "Stop being so overprotective and let me talk to the kid I saved."

"Soren!" Dad growled.

"Easy, Gael," Lin said, looking at my Dad. "I'm glad your pup isn't worried. It's for the best. But," she said, looking back at me, "it doesn't change the fact that you can't see the avians."

"What?" I demanded. "They're your prisoners now?"

"No. Don't jump to conclusions. The avians are welcome to leave any time," Lin said. "They're simply to be kept under watch and away from the pups while they choose to stay here." 

Swallowing a growl, I let the weight of my eyelids win. I didn't have the energy to fight anymore. 

"The guest room is yours as long as you need it," Lin said. 

"Get some rest," Mom said. "I won't be far."  

I grunted. 

Lin gave a short, soft laugh. "Your child reminds me of another pup determined to help a pair of half-mermaid twins." 

I frowned. This was nothing like my Dad helping my Mom. The kid I saved was escaping getting slaughter by his mother. And after all that trauma, the pack dared to treat him as an enemy. It was messed up. I swore to find the kid. Together, we'd take revenge on his mom. 

0