Chapter 1: A strange place, strange doctor
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For an unknown amount of time, Hao Xu finally woke up.

His body stings all over. Legs tied, the elastic of his hair shrivel and even the band of belts was unbuckled. But nothing hurt as much as his head. It was exhausting and the pain took its toll across his body.

Blurriness alongside with dizzy sensation was clouding his vision. For a moment, Hao Xu felt like fainting again.

The fuzzy white ring of light hanging above the ceiling kept him distracted as he attempts to support his body with his arm, only to realized that no matter his effort, he felt something strap onto his body.

Where am I… I only remember error. Then changing of coordinates… Planet B203.

“Subject Number 01. Report Status, Alive. Checking brain wave — Possible case of Amnesia. Checking Body Condition — Mid-Grade D.”

Hao Xu fuzziness eased, his surrounding became increasingly clear to his sight.

The room was white in its tone, with questionable tools laying on the tables along with computers along the side of the wall.

‘Are these people researcher? Illegal human study?’

Countless question filled his mind, but no one came forth to answer his questions, unable to come to term with his own puzzled solution.

“How’s the subject?”

Through one of the doorway straight ahead, Hao Xu could faintly distinguish a tint of sound, seemingly buzzing in his ears, fading and fuzzing as it become blurry, then clear.

“Commander Moriarty!” A researcher dressed in white lab coat and black masked salute.

“The subject is the first to be injected with [Vial D], a new fluid developed by the Union from the data gathered through the experimentation of abnormal mutants and captured Stellar. His status is normal except for part of his brain. As for his body, just as expected, it has gone through a qualitative change in state.”

After a period of time, he understood his situation. His name is 01,, an experimental subject injected with [Vial D]. The place he’s currently located is one of the many Twilight Union base… As for the effects of [Vial D] and goal of their experiment, he does not know.
What he does know, unfortunately, is that he’s trapped somewhere underground, possibly an old industrial factory located somewhere out in the rural.

Hao Xu withdrew his gaze and closed his eyes, attempting to open the user interface with some hope.

[User: Hao Xu]
[Level: 9]

[HP: 78/102]

[Energy: 100/100]

[Class: Marksman]

[Grade: D]

[Skills:

Marksman Composure: A natural ability to compose themselves in any situation. +10% Increase in accuracy when holding a rifle. Passive: Grant calming effect to the mind.

Low Grade Weaponry Efficiency (lvl0): Grant 5% (+0%) increase in damage and accuracy when holding a rifle. Skill scale with levels (0.5x), max level of 10.

Focus Shot (lvl0): A basic marksman ability to focus his shot toward a single point. Consume energy to fire a focus shot, increase trajectory speed and penetration. The more energy is consumed, the greater the power. + 5% Trajectory speed (up to 50%). + 2% Penetration (Up to 30%). Energy usage minimum (5) — up to 30 (Energy Increase as Level Increase). Scale 1x per level, max level: 20]

Marksman? Grade? Skills? Question marks appear around Hao Xu like buzzing flies, but he could not seem to remember what happened before he was flung here.

The sound of metal clanking in the background, riddled with old rustic machine sounds, Hao Xu found himself thinking clearly, yet at the same time, couldn’t answer his own question.

He looked through the options, unable to locate the [Escape] function, an emergency option in case of dire situation, where one’s capsule is hacked illegally.

Hao Xu is dumbfounded to see that there’s no escape, merely a game status screen. Yet even more intrigued by his own illusion of calmness despite losing the only escape path.

After closing the interface, he came up with various ideas.

“...” For one, he could attempt to escape through force. But looking at the two guard outside holding guns, Hao Xu didn’t have the courage to do it.

Another was using hostage to escape. Commander Moriarty is the highest ranking officer in this room, with such close distance, he believe there’s a good chance of making it work.

Hao Xu looked back toward the encroaching person, eyes wide opened for a split moment before returning to normal. He felt a cold bucket of water dousing away his dream.

[Level:???]

The level above his head was all ‘???’. There was no way for him to tell the level of the person standing in front of him!

Or the last option… Continue being a lab rat, hoping that he could somehow squeeze his way out.

Hao Xu shook his head to himself upon exploring the thought of being a lab rat, and while he was momentarily stunned by the gap in power, this didn’t discourage him much further since he was already assuming the worst possible case.

With his hand tied along the fact that his enemy is unfathomably hard to grasp, he could only rethink the conversation between the researcher and this commander.

Vial D. Amnesia. Grade D. Hao Xu brain sprung to action as he thought of countless scenario.

The researcher and Moriarty believe that he might have amnesia, if he acts like he does not have amnesia, what will their response be?

They will most likely keep him alive to question any effects and feeling he might have. More importantly, the odds of them monitoring his action will be high. His odds of escape would slowly decrease overtime. Worst case scenario, he would be injected with more drugs, or even get butchered on the same day.

Since his interface opened, only a minute or two has passed, he finally thought it through.

He made up his mind.

“W-Who Am I?” His brown iris shrivel, giving out a blank stare as he gazed at the ceiling. His head sway left and right, finally landing onto Moriarty.

A researcher swirl his pen onto a small notebook placed in his palm, his sight was narrowed between Moriarty and Hao Xu, as the sound of tackling filled the quiet room.

At this moment, Moriarty reached out his slick hand toward Hao Xu.

1