Chapter 2: If Only The Hands of Time Could Rewind (2)
288 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: If Only The Hands of Time Could Rewind (2)

 

'Today, dad gave me a book and told me to write down things about my life from time to time. He said it was because I caused too much trouble and was loud...I don't think I was that loud though...I don't like writing, but if Dad thinks it's important, it must be because dad is always right!'

'I met one of my dad's friends today again, his name was Uncle Ren. He brought over a girl called Shiho, my best friend. It's been so long since we met, but she told me that she and her parents would be moving in their old home near our neighborhood soon. We played the entire day together, but when I asked if she wanted to play again, she said it would be hard because she had to practice in something called a dojo owned by her grandpa. If she has to be in one, does that mean I can never meet with her again? I didn't know what would happen, so I asked dad, but he just laughed and said he would sign me up for it with her. Dad warned me it would be hard and to not 'regret' it. I don't know what he means.......but I think everything will be worth it if I can meet her again.’

'When I first met Shiho again, she looked surprised, but her eyes lit up and she seemed happy, that made me happy too. I've trained with her at Grandpa Ryu's dojo for about a week now. It's very hard work and every day, my arms and legs burn. It's scary when the usually smiling Uncle Ren becomes strict and glares, but it's way scarier when her grandpa glares at me......to be honest I feel like he glares even harder when Shiho smiles at me. I also think I might be sick. Whenever I'm around Shiho, my chest always hurts. When I went to the doctor's once with my mom, the doctor said that chest pain could be a sign of a disease. I'm a bit worried. When I asked my mom about it, she just smiled and laughed. I think my mom thinks I'm joking with her. I don't know if I'm sick or about to die, but no matter what happens to me, I think I won't mind as long as I'm with Shiho.'

'Today, my parents and Shiho's parents helped us build a tree house. We worked the entire day on it before we were able to finish it. It doesn't look as good as my house, but to me, it's more important because it's my house and Shiho's. We promised to meet there at least 4 times a week, but I wish it was everyday.......'

'After our lessons today, Uncle Ren told us an urban legend about the huge Sakura tree near the dojo. He said it was a legend passed down his family for generations. If two people promised to love each other forever under the tree, they would be together forever and would marry like my mom and dad did. I'm not to sure what it really means, but once we heard we would be together forever, me and Shiho immediately made a plan. During the night, we both snuck out and ran to the tree to make our promises. There, we promised that we loved each other and that we would always be together. Under the moonlit sky, we've made a promise we will never break. I'm not sure if we can turn back, but at the very least, I don't think I will regret it.'

'Today on our training in the mountains, we got lost. Shiho sprained her ankle when we were in the middle of nowhere. It was day out, so I knew no one was coming to search for us that quickly. Because of this, I offered to carry her back, which I did. The whole time back, my heart kept beating......was I sick again? I also noticed that Shiho's face was red too afterwards, maybe I spread my sickness to her by accident.......'

'Recently, another boy has been walking with Shiho more often, his name is Reizo. I don't know why, but I feel annoyed when I think about it. When I told this to my dad, he just simply smirked and said that I was jealous of the boy and that I was in love with Shiho. When I asked him what he meant, he told me that love was something that just clicks, a feeling ingrained inside myself for someone else, a feeling of desire to be with and to treasure someone. I didn't know what to make of this. I do enjoy being with Shiho, but do I really love her? I was confused, but recently, Shiho's been spending less and less time with me and more with him....I think I may be feeling jealous'

'Today's the first time that Shiho's missed an entire week of our routine meetings at the treehouse. I've noticed, she seems to be avoiding me and instead choosing to be with Reizo. Perhaps I did something wrong? When I asked Uncle Ren about it, he simply just stared at me dumbfounded and bitterly smiled, saying it was nothing to worry about. His smile seem to be hiding a bitter expression, and when I further drilled him about it, he brought me to the dojo. There, he dug through a few boxes and scrolls before handing me two pendants, white and black respectively. When I gave him a quizzical look, he began to explain their origin. Apparently, they were family heirlooms passed down from his clan, the Ryu clan. He said that they were for me and Shiho. There was apparently a tradition where the family's heir and their beloved would wear the necklaces. They would be connected through it in a way. They would essentially swear an oath of love before wearing the necklace, forming a bond that transcended death. There was a catch though. During the formation of the bond from both ends, the process required two years. If love was not reciprocated from both oath bearers in time, then the liar would be condemned to eternal damnation. After saying this, he told me "You two will be fine. I don't really believe in legends like these but promise me , promise that you will treat my daughter well. You better watch your back if you hurt her, all hell will break loose." It took me some time to realize what he meant by that. I think he just sold me and his own daughter off......'

'I've kept tally of the total number of days she's missed at the treehouse, its exceeded 100 days already. I don't necessarily believe in legends or anything, but thinking back on what Uncle said, I think it might be worth a shot. In my melancholy, I've sworn my vows. I think tomorrow, I'll...I'll finally tell her I love her. Maybe then, this void I've felt for this past week will be filled. I don't know if she'll accept........but that promise witnessed by the stars and blossoms, that had to mean something........right?'

'........I think I've messed up big time. I don't really remember how our argument started, but I do know it revolved around me feeling that Reizo's presence was a bad influence. I've heard rumors from everyone else these past few days, rumors that he himself hires the thugs and jerks that attack the girls that become infatuated with him. Apparently, he sets up 'scenarios' to take advantage of the girls by playing the hero. Rumors aren't always trusted, I realize that, I didn't think much of it at first, but I myself was a witness to him making a deal with one of those gangs on my way to Shiho's. It was thoroughly revolting. So I headed off to find Shiho immediately, knowing what a scumbag he was made me feel relieved, something I am ashamed to admit. I finally found her and confronted her about it, but it was less than a joyous occasion. Unsurprisingly, she didn't believe me. Things happened and the arguments escalated, looking back, I probably sounded like a jealous idiot. But, she has to have noticed something off about him.......there's just been too many red flags. Evidently though, everything is ignored in her rose tinted view of him......she always has admired heroes, I think that's what’s causing her to ignore everything else. I'm pretty sure she hates me now, I should probably apologize. I just haven't been in the right state of mind to do so. Her last words have haunted me the most, I remember it so vividly I can't find it in me to approach her. "Why are you always so irritating?! I know we made that stupid childhood promise and everything, but that was something idiotic we did as children. Look, I know you're jealous and all but don't slander the few good people left in this world! Are you really that jealous? Don't.....don't ever talk to me again. People that act like you..........should just go die". 

I'm not afraid to admit that those words have hurt me more than anything else in my life. I don't know what to believe anymore, she looked somewhat hesitant and regretful after saying that, but nothing more. No apology no nothing......maybe her words do hold some truth......' 

 

'We've stopped having any contact. She never takes lessons with me anymore. No visits to each other, no walking to and from school.......nothing. I......I never really envisioned something like this happening. To feel so isolated when we live right next to each other...so isolated when we even have the same classes. I........think she really hates me now, she's avoided me in the past...but I feel like she's just cut me out of her life now. But...... even if she hates me to the bones, no matter how battered I am, I don't think I can ever forget the bond we once shared. She may not have chosen me, she may see me as nothing but  bother, but no matter what, as long as a shred of me remains, I'll protect her always. It doesn't have to be me by her side, I think.........it'll be worth it as long as she's safe and happy.....no matter what happens to me. As long as I'm here, I'll protect her from Reizo and any other danger........even if she never realizes it. Sadly..............................I don't think I can forget.'

 

 

 

'.......Something strange happened today. On the way back from the dojo, something unexplainable happened. As I was contemplating on a future tournament, an odd red light began to surround me. In front of me, the air itself...seemed to shatter like glass. I tried t escape but to no avail. As I could only look in horror at the dark light, I fell, deep into the dark abyss. I awoke in a foreign space, reminiscent that of a castle enshrouded in darkness. I seemed to be in a secret hideout of sorts, looking around there was a grand library, several bedchambers, a kitchen, but strangely no windows or exits. In my confusion, I gathered my belongings. Nothing but my clothes, this book, and my schoolbag. But, I eventually reached a room that appeared to be a study room. There, I found a strange book, I don't know what possessed me, but I opened it. The moment I did, a great surge of information rushed through me, the book turning out to be from a proclaimed demon king.......as I processed the information, I've come to learn.......this............. isn't Earth......'

'I've learned that this world is one called Aldinea. The castle that I reside in is the former castle of a maou...the first demon king. Unexpectedly, the demon king was not a cruel or terrible person, just a solitary man forced onto an evil throne and status from those who despised him, jealous of his talent. During one of his adventures, he was seriously wounded, forced to create a sealed space to recuperate. Unfortunately, he succumbed to his injuries before healing, an event which caused a space time fluctuation..........one that brought me into this world. The dying regret he had was being unable to reconcile humans and the mazoku. The transfer from the book let me not only gain his memories, but his magic and skills as well. Perhaps......this is a sign, a purpose for me. Maybe I can put my past behind and forget the pain.

I probably won't write much in this book anymore, but, maybe I can live and forget, and maybe one day, we can meet anew.'

 

 

 

 

 

'........I thought I put it all behind me, how wrong I was. A year after I arrived in this foreign land, I consolidated my rule over the mazoku, who welcomed me with open arms. Saving villages and seeing my people smile, it gave me a sense of warmth I've though I've lost........but......I've lost that too now. After I became king, Eldeich, the biggest human empire and the Church of Light reacted quickly. They prepared a summoning ritual, bringing forth a group of teens they called heroes, people from my class on Earth. It was then I learned that they were here as well, Shiho and Reizo. A war was formally declared. Bloody battle after another, I tried to find a way to end the bloodshed. Eventually, I caught the heroes. As I prepared to kill them to end it all, I saw her.

So, I requested a treaty, a mistake that cost me everything. Everything was peaceful and fine for a time, I thought it had all ended. Eventually, even that proved false. They betrayed the peace pact and slaughtered everyone, no village or individual spared. I've realized this now, I was never able to forget her,.and because of that......everyone else suffered. I was played for a fool. Was it really necessary!? All those unnecessary deaths, the betrayal!? Their very decisions costed the live of thousands! And now I stand, a lone survivor in this forsaken hell .If I ever have a second chance.......I'll throw away all my hesitation. I'll slaughter the Church of Light, I'll personally raze the corrupt nobles of the Empire. I......I should have never fallen for someone as cold-hearted as her. If there will be a second chance, I'll throw all those emotions away. I realize this now, I'm was nothing but a fool when I was needed the most.........sadly, I couldn't forget.'


 

Shiho POV

"You never really no how much you cherish something until you've lost it...."

At this moment, that quote I once thought stupid resonates with me deeply.......

I........I never knew how much I meant to him. Time and time again, I've let him down. As I clutched onto the tattered book, I've realized one thing. I never once hated him, I.....loved him too.

The book I held onto was full of tear-stains and bloodstains. It was ripped and on the verge of collapse....almost exactly like how he was after my words. I should've been there for him.......I should've realized it sooner....but it's far too late. 

I remember it now, that promise under the sky. Why was I so stupid to have avoided him? I was too caught up in my admiration of heroes, a trait that never left with my childhood. This caused me to admire that false mask of his. I've realized it now, Reizo was far too suspicious and strange........but I don't think I ever loved him. But, in the end, I still pushed Kuroko away.......when did it all change.......?When did we become so distant that I addressed him by his last name, when had we grown so far apart that he was but another passerby to me?

I used to hate him nagging me........used to hate how he told me to sleep early or to do my homework...I hated how he would act like a parent. After he stopped that.......I've realized everything he did was all for me, only now do I know how much I cherished his attention and worry...even after everything I told him.......he would secretly help me, but I was always blind to it...Looking back now.......he was a fool...but maybe that was why I fell for him........but it's all gone.......At that thought, I tightened my grip on the book. From there, an item silently dropped.

I slowly picked it up........and I froze. In my hand lay a small, intricate white pendant......At the sight of it I once again broke into tears........Of course he kept it......the dolt..........holding it......I felt like I knew what had to be done.

Placing the necklace on my neck, I slowly unsheathed my katana. I slowly placed it in front of my chest and I silently thought............I've always been a fool, always blind and inconsiderate. But if that's true.......let me be a fool once more.......from now on..........I'll be your fool.......so if there is another chance...please forgive me. And with that I plunged the blade. As the warmth left me I silently swore.

"I love you too,  idiot. No matter what.......If I had a second chance, I swear I would never let you go. Maybe then I could tell you it all, I never once hated you, and no matter what happens.................I love you."

And with that, my world descended into darkness.


As a light quietly dimmed, another began to relight. In a small room far away, a sleeping man's face contorted with pain. It struggled with what an intensity, but eventually, the room regained it's tranquility. As the moon began it's descent, the black-haired man suddenly awoke. With crimson eyes gazing at the moon, he arose once more, his name was Kuroko.......Kuroko Kurochi.

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note

Sorry for the late update. Things kind of happened and I had to do several things. Summer school and driving lessons being some of them. I'm sorry though, I have no excuse for such a large delay. But as I said before, I plan to continue this until the end. So, no matter what happens, the story is not dropped......even if there is a large delay like this time....I'm sorry I'll try to avoid it, but hopefully this longer thank normal chapter can make up for some of it......no promises though because school will be hard to deal with on top of volunteering and writing. With that, thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy my amateur writing~

 

 

 

9