Awakened- Chapter 6: Showing the Ropes
53 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brad’s POV

“Then where are you guys heading to?” Jason asked about our destination.

“We are heading to Green River, Wyoming. Hoping to see my folks there in the county.” I’m still worried about my folks living there.

“Is it in the Rocky Mountains? I know Wyoming is a cowboy state with a slower pace of life.” Jason surprises me with the knowledge of other states that he knew of.

“Yep, the cowboy state!” I beamed with pride. “You think I was born in Cali?”

“You ain’t, given the southern drawl and smooth tone, I say you are definitely not a Cali boy.” I looked at him as if he somehow knew who I was.

“No, duh! If he was, he would have been ‘sup, dude!’” I notice Jenny is starting up stuff again.

“No, you are right. But he was born and raised, but why move to California?”

“Because my fiancé there wanted us to move there for the opportunities.” I chuckled at the idea since I knew living there would be expensive there. “But we were homeless and had fallen on hard times. If it wasn’t the kindness of some strangers and my wife found a steady job to pay, I doubt I wouldn’t have met you guys.”

“But she is dead, and they made swiss cheese out of you.” Samantha… do you have to be blunt with everything.

“Okay, then what about you?” I was expecting her making an excuse to deny it.

“Born to wealthy parents, had a high-powered office job and had married to a husband who was a brute.” She said it fact, like it didn’t matter to her. “It wasn’t until the apocalypse came and changed all of that… I was arrogant then. Foolish.”

“You did whatever it takes to survive, knowing a woman like yourself, you wouldn’t want to be idle or depend on any man to do anything for you.” Jason is psychoanalyzing as if his studying a person before he’ll interact with them.

“... Got bitten by an asshole who tried to force himself on me. I killed him, yet died the next day later. I woke up like this and next thing I knew…” Samantha looks from us a moment.

“We won’t force it, some stories are better off for another time. I know you would rather discuss it.” Samantha glares at him with a dagger in her eyes.

“Oh, I’m sorry maybe I failed to understand for a man with no memory. You think you know people that well?” Samantha moves toward him, drawing out her blade out. “You know nothing about me! And you don’t decide when it is convenient for me to share!” She puts her blade to his throat, I’ve moved to step in, but I notice Jason is not moving, he knew that he said something that he shouldn’t.

For a moment, she puts it away, I’ve never seen Sam that angry, not especially when she explains her story to anyone. I’ve turned on the ignition and continue to drive out of town.


Stopping in the town of Lehi

After that, it was silent with no one saying a word. I suspect no one wanted to test Sam’s patience on the matter. Last someone did… They lost a limb or two.

“Hey everyone! Why is everyone so quiet today? It’s just one argument!” Jenny… That’s not exactly the way to improve the mood here.

“Brad, Stop right there at the gas station.” She points to the gas station as it came to us in our way.

We parked on the right side of the car so I can start fill on gas, Jenny gets the snacks, more ice for the cooler and batteries for the car and her Walkman.

“Jason! Come with me for a moment!” Samantha called Jason over.

“Where are you going, Sam?” I called out as she sets off with Jason.

“To train!” She smiled as she grabbed Jason and ran out of my vision of her. Heh… She is a handful.

0