Awakened- City of Pride stories 1
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brad’s POV

“Community Leader! These are the…” The man held up his hand to him as he spoke.

“I was expecting them, Burk and Brad had contacted me in advance.” Burk looked at us and then back at him. “I would have told you sooner but-”

“No… I should have at least clear it up with you, sooner, Jack. How did they contact you?” The leader taps his head, heh… I’m glad he still had a sense of humor. “Telepathy, huh?” He crossed his arms “You sure he didn’t take control of you and tell you he is your best friend?”

“Sucka!” A woman walks up to him, she is dark-skinned, had a large afro, she had scars and glow green eyes. “Ya know that Braddy ain’t the type to be controlling folks, I would have known  by now if he did.”

“Shandi! Are you taking the word of these strangers? I question your judgement on how-” Burk saw Shandi gave a dark glare, I remember years ago before I arrived in Los Angeles, California, my finance wanted to visit Price, Utah to see her uncle Jack.

Jack married Shandi, an African-American woman who shows that she is tough as nails, good with money, refusing to depend on a man for money, a good friend and the worst kind of enemy to have. I didn’t like her at first when we arrived in Price; I had assumed her to be a gold digger who taking advantage of her uncle.

Shandi, however, dispelled all of that. Raised up in a family of 5 siblings who raised her to be self-sufficient, reliant on themselves and tough as nails to boot. I even learned that she went to the military and held the rank of Captain 1st class. She married Jack because he was a good man who was being taken advantage of by the people being around him, and he loved her because she is not afraid to get her hands to keep her family and friends safe.

She even gave her blessing that we should tie the knot together and we grew closer during that our visit in Utah. But seeing her now…

“You question my judgement on what?” Even Burk knows what she is capable of when she glares at you. His heart quickened. Sweat pours on him like water. A hardened man who has plenty of combat experience knows that you crossed a line when you crossed a woman who has no qualms in settling scores.

“N-Nothing, Shandi…” Shandi is not happy with his response, but when she saw me, her eyes softened and ran across to hug me.

“Shandi! How are you… You’re a…?” it shocked me she became a Sentient like us.

“Braddy! I’m dead all right!” My eyes widen at her snapping response to me. “But you’re dead, too, chump! What happened?”

“Got… Got shot protecting my friends.” I didn’t want to tell her about what happened to Susan and the kids. The memories…

“I know you ain’t trying lie in my face…” Now she is glaring at me. “You ain’t the type going around cheating with other woman, I know…” She walks closer to me. “You killed her something, Motherfucker?!”

I couldn’t look her in eyes… The memories were too fresh for me to bare. When I got home back from work years ago in Los Angeles, my wife… They were….

“YA BETTER TALK TO ME RIGHT NOW OR SO HELP ME…”

“SHE DIED!” I let out a howl. “She died… She died while I was working a job as an office worker. I learned she was…” It’s… too painful to relieve the memory.

“She slept with another man? And you got jealous about it?” Jack was looking at her differently. His eyes felt pity for me since he realized his niece is not with me and the news is impacting him.

“Please, Shandi. He has been through enough and I know Brad is he not the kind that would hit a woman. My niece is dead…” It hits him hard, I didn’t want to tell him this but it would better for him to know now.

“She killed by a group of looters who treated her like she was a piece of meat. They didn’t care about the kids, they just took them out from their prime of life…” I blamed myself, I couldn’t… Protect her.... “I went into their hideout to settle scores… I died as I stepped into the front door.”

“I died when some sucka shot me in the heart and then I rise from the dead.” Shandi looked me in the eye, I saw she had been through it like I had. “Next thing, I can manipulate gravity, I got some of their asses when they saw me rising from the ground.”

“I came back and saw they were getting ready to chop me into pieces… I heard their thoughts swimming through my skull.” Shandi nods at me… I didn’t know that she knew I’ve been through shit. “I learned how to control the bastard’s mind…” I clench my teeth as I recall the grizzly details how it went. “Then I fought my way throughout their hangout, pumping those fuckers with lead… I remembered every moment those bastards had their fun with my beloved… They didn’t care when she screamed or plead with them to stop… They played their hop-pop music like it was a casual fling when… THEY DIDN’T STOP ON WHAT THEY DID… THEY WENT FAR TO TAKE THE LIVES OF OUR KIDS AND TREAT IT AS IT WAS NO BIG DEAL TO THEM.”

“Brad…” Samantha put my hand on my shoulder.

When I found the bastard who was lying in a puddle of his own blood, he looked at me as I was a demon who killed his buddies. I stepped on his chest, gasping for air. Tears ran down my face as I faced one of her killers…. They were only one question on my mind....

“Why…?” I pointed my gun at him. The man shakes for his very life. “WHY DID YOU KILL HER?! WHY DID YOU TREAT AS IF SHE WAS ANOTHER BITCH?! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO KILL THOSE KIDS, THEY WERE CHILDREN! CHILDREN! CHILDREN, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!” I let out the tears flowed. They killed my wife… two young kids… They took my family…

“Why…? Who?” I clenched my teeth… if that man thinks he can play stupid…

“Susan Henrick! Terry Henrick! Cindy Henrick!” I call out of the names of my family, I had wanted to jog his fucking memory. He laughed, my heart rises as I saw it meant nothing to them.

“I don’t give a fuck! Her bitch-ass was a piece of meat.” He licked his tongue. He didn’t just do that. “Those kids… Didn’t want snitching on us.” I threw my gun to the side, I crackled my knuckles… No remorse… Don’t have a care in the world…

“Why my family? Why them, you bastard!” my blood continued to rise, the man continue to laugh at me as if it was one sick joke.

“I thought they got some money, drugs & booze. Had some fun with ya girlfriend, had to take out those kids, they would snitch if we left them.” I heard enough….

I had considered beating his ass to a pulp, but that would be too merciful. A gun would too quick and pleasant, scum like him don’t deserve a quick death. When I heard moans behind me, one of the man I killed, he rose again from the dead. I touch his mind… It was empty... It was like they need to feed on fresh, juicy human flesh.

I walked away as I’ve ignored the man’s cries for help. He was being torn apart by his ‘homies’.

I couldn’t…

I couldn’t stay in California…

When I slept, I saw her face… and the kids. I saw the men took their turns and did not care if she screamed, begs or plead in front of them. I saw myself bound and shackled by iron chains, watched as they drank, party and made a mockery of her.

I took my van, money, food, whatever I needed… I’ve hit the road and head to the city of Las vegas. Planned to lose myself in Sin City in the glamour, glitters and in the slot machines, I wanted to do whatever it took to free myself from the nightmare before me.

“By god…” Jack now knows why didn’t want to tell him… It would break his heart.

“You went to Las vegas? I bet you went to had sex, drugs and drink.” Shandi was incredulous when she learned I went to Las Vegas to escape the nightmares that plagued my sleep.

“I wasn’t getting buzzed… Drink didn’t satisfy me.” I recalled that moment since then.


Met Samantha and the Others

“Pour me another!” I downed another shot, I noticed that the booze hasn’t got me buzzed.

“Friend… You had enough.” The bartender urged me to stop with the drinking.

“One more then! I ain’t even buzzed yet.” I wonder why the alcohol is not hitting my body, man I still feel thirsty…

The bartender was hesitant about giving me another shot; worried that I have been down my sorrows for 3 days straight.

“Excuse me… Make 2 for us, please.” A woman wears a black business suit, she wears sunglasses that cover her eyes.

“Yes, Miss Diggins! Be careful with that drunk there, he been downing a lot of drinks lately.”

“Fuck you, man!” I pointed my middle finger at the bartender, which the woman moved closer to me. “Get the fuck away from me! I ain’t interested.”

“I was buying you another shot, Rest assure I am not here for seduction.”

“Good… Get the FUCK OUT OF MY FACE!” The woman stood her ground, and she raised her hand to the bartender.

“It’s all right, Donico! I got this!” The woman sits beside me. “I am not here to hit on you. Originally, I came for a drink, I saw a man who tearing himself inside and out. “

“Why… Why you want to speak with a drunk like me?”

“Drink does not satisfy… I can tell… 3 shots of Bloody Mary.” I saw she paid with her credit card. With that, he produced 3 shots of the drink.

I’ve downed 3 shots of it… I felt myself energized. But I’m not feeling nothing inside. It was like the joy of a good drink, but only a pipedream.

“Why do you want to talk with me? You look wealthy to get any man you want in your bed. I ain’t wealthy.” It only made her smile when I stated it honestly.

“I’m not looking for one, actually I already divorced my asshole of a husband. Not exactly fishing for another man to ‘sleep’ with.”

After recalling how we met in Las Vegas and had Sam as a confidant, I looked at Jack and others. I still had nightmares about them each night, learned that I became a Sentient after getting shot and now as a zombie even alcohol can’t dull the pain I feel even now.

“So, that how you met? Braddy, I didn’t know that you went through enough shit for one lifetime. I had to get ya talking because it would eat you up should hold it to yourself.”

“You haven’t changed, Shandi.” I smiled she is still the same person she is before the apocalypse began.

“Okay… enough of your sad sob story, zombie! You can stay, I still keep my eyes on you.” I turned to look him in the eyes.

“It ain’t a sob story… I ain’t crying out for fucking pity…” I raise my voice as he didn’t get I didn’t do it to get pity. “And if what your sister is the one that you let some fuckers tear apart, I bet it would piss you off where you want to get your hands on the bastards responsible, would you?”

“Braddy! Enough!” Shandi steps in between us. “Just get going, Burk. And you?” She turned to me. “Chill out! We’ll get you guys to settle for a bit in a few moments.”

“But-”

“But what?” Shandi frowns with me, wanting to drag it out further.

“Nothing… I need to be left alone.” I walked toward the park when I’m stressed and needed to clear my head. It would be a place where I can get away from the world’s problems.


A walk in the park

The park has seen the good days even during the zombie apocalypse, seeing kids playing on the grass, the garden I see is still being maintained by the gardeners. I saw the morning glory in its full splendor today; it reminded me of the first-

“First time that you came to Price, years ago.” Someone spoke behind me… Jack… “I remember you propose years ago to my niece here in the park.”

“I know, I’m sorry that-” I felt a reassuring hand fallen on my shoulder.

“If I had known that my niece would fall in love with a brave young man who loved with all his heart. I should have insisted you stay in the city.”

“True…” I reflect on Jack said… Susan would have been still alive and I wouldn’t be like this.

“Brad! When are you going to talk with me?” I turned around… Jack is usually soft-spoken and polite. What has gotten into him?

“Jack, I’m sorry about earlier. I had contacted you earlier but…” Jack motions for me to walk with him.

“I know Burk can be overzealous with his role, but did you know he broke into a sweat when Shandi looked at him.”

“Oh yeah! It is good to still see Shandi being the firecracker we love and know.” We laughed as we recalled the good times.

“Also, it was her decision to make him leader of the militia since he and his group are well-trained against the dead.”

“Despite us, Sentients not trying to do anyone harm.”

“The thing is Brad… Some folks have a deep contempt for the dead. Granted that, it was the zombie apocalypse that increases the hatred of the walking dead around them.” That remind me of his response earlier.

“Also, the survivors don’t want to take the chance that one of their own would turn one into the dead.”

“My wife is one of the fortunate ones since objects were floating around her when she turned into a Sentient.” He looked away from me. “During a gunfight, I became distraught when she got shot in the heart at the time we defend the settlement.”

“She came back and I know she went ahead tore them up!” I smiled, which Jack did the same.

“The thing is, my old friend. When society collapsed, the entire town quickly banded together, established trade routes that would keep the town’s economy going. We even took in those that are like you, but we need to get creative with them.”

“I know we cannot consume food like the living do and technically… ”

“You need to feed on fresh blood or human body parts.” He took the words out of my mouth. “Thankfully, we have some folks here that create some flesh blood here so the dead folks would not have worry about starving here.”

“It feels that we have to eat as cannibals…” I felt we had little to no option consume fresh blood or parts. “When we get into areas of the mist, that is when we can consume foods again.”

“Only for a short time, am I right?”

“Yeah…” I admit, I wish it can be permanent it would eliminate the need to feast on blood and body parts.

“So, Brad? Are you going to stay for a bit? I know you need to head Wyoming, your old home.”

“Yeah, I want to take the time to catch up.”

0