Evolution- Chapter 28: Onward to the town of Jackson
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Brad! Talk to me, please!” Samantha blocks Brad’s path. “What has gotten into you?”

“I notice you went to fight off a group of zombies with a wrench and baseball bat. You were fighting like a demon-possessed man who had no care in the world. We held trying to talk to you. We feared that you would have swung at us, mistaking us for enemies. Let me ask…” Jason puts his hands on his shoulders. “How do you feel afterwards?”

“My parents were alive, didn’t know they left town long ago. I felt angry when I saw the dead trashing the backyard.” Brad looks away. “I’m not sure you guys know this, but I am the last of the Henricks.”

“We definitely need to sit down and talk!” 


The Discussion

As the group sat down to eating dinner during the mist which it was possible because of Brad using his skills of repair things breaking down, he got the oven working again. Samantha used the choice of chicken legs, wings, and breasts to cook a fine meal for dinner. Jenny also assisted them by using a can opener on Yams, Green beans- French cut and Whole Kernel corn.

After having set down for dinner, they ate their meals.

“Hmm… This is good!” Brad takes bites of his chicken breasts and yam.

“Luckily, with the mist that covers the town, we can consume normal foods instead of the usual consuming of blood.” Samantha cuts her chicken into smaller pieces to consume.

“Brad, you mention you are the last of the Henrick, correct?” Jason eyed on Brad as he had eaten some kernel corn.

“Yep, I am the last…” Brad stares briefly into the distance, remembering all that transpired. “Had a big brother who was the rock of the family and he was someone to look up to. My folks however, had an issue with his preferences.”

“You mean sex?” Jenny’s question has raised eyebrows as she spoke. “What? Wouldn’t hurt it to ask?!”

“No, you want to ask.” 

“Jenny… Yeah, my big brother always had a thing for strong men. My parents pressured him to marry a woman in his life. You can say my parents ain’t big fans on who he sleeps with.”

“What happened to him? He should be allowed to express his love toward anyone in his life.” 

“He left town one night, not before telling me, his little brother on why he is leaving. Our parents and folks in Green River wouldn’t accept him as he is. I’ve begged him not to leave us and that my parents cannot have any kids anymore.”

“He knew that being a homosexual would be dangerous around these parts of town. And he didn’t want to drag you into it should it get out.”

“Next thing, he told me to move with my life and not worry about him. He never told me where he is heading afterwards.” Brad took bites of his green beans and yams. “Got no letters from him either or phone calls after he left town.”

“Now you are the only one left… You know you can ask Sam for sex and pop out some kids?” The room is in shock at Jenny’s comment.

“What? No! Not really, no!”

“But Brad, you’re last in a line of your family! And if you die-”

“Jenny, I’m dead. I can’t exactly pop out more kids and even if I can, being sentient would not make that possible. And no, I ain’t fishing for another woman. What is with you today, Jenny?” Jenny shrugs at the question.

“I suppose you have an interest in Brad, Jen?” Samantha lets a sly smile show on her face.

“What? No way! Brad is like a big brother to me, and why I want any interest from him? He is old enough to be my dad.” Brad is amused that Jenny thinks of him that way.

“Interested in Girls?” Jenny’s eyes widen at the mention of it.

“No way. I swear you are making this up, Sam! I bet you were sleeping with a lot of men.” 

“I do.” She doesn’t deny or hide the fact.

“Okay, ladies. That is enough on that. But back to the subject, my parents aren’t gonna be able to have any more kids. Susan and I got married, gotten 3 kids… Then the apocalypse happened, and it took that away from me.” Brad's mood darkened on the subject. “Even though, I took revenge on the men who killed my family, I would never see her face again or the smile when I went to work.”

Everyone went back to eating their meal while listening to Brad on the matter.

“I’m glad to meet all of you, you guys are family to me as well. At least, I can take comfort in that fact.”

“Then the plan is to head to Jackson, see your parents, and we’ll head on to Colorado?” Jason asked him if that is the plan.

“Yep, we might also get more food, info, supplies and maybe build a relationship with the people, providing if they are going to kill us.” Brad is in good spirits, he felt his team understood on where he is heading to.


Leaving Green River

After eating, they took a shower to fresh up for the journey ahead. They waited for a couple of hours to make sure the food inside digest before they headed out. They went to hit the highway to Jackson via US-191 S, taking in the view of the mountains and plains on their way.

“Will take at least 3 hours to get there from Green River.” Brad announces how long to get there. “It is a good that Jason suggests we carry oil cans to make sure we stay fueled. We don’t know if we can find another gas station from here.”

“It was a wise idea. You suggested it, Jason.” Samantha sounded pleased at the suggestion.

“Thank you, but I wanted to ask you about your thoughts once we arrive at Jackson.”

“I’ve never been to the Rocky Mountains before and I love the atmosphere out here. I got to Las Vegas via plane.”

“Private Jet?”

“That is correct! But my father has cut me off from my inheritance and cash by the time I arrived there.”

“Wait! You two were in las vegas?!” Now Jenny is curious about what is going on.

“Yes, Brad was the one who offered me a ride, since he was heading to Wyoming. I was hesitant about accepting rides from stranger.”

“She even thought I was thinking about taking her to my place and having sex.” Samantha raised her eyebrow on him.

“Oh, were you?”

“No, I’ve been through pain for one lifetime. And I ain’t cheater just sleeping around with other women. The only person who I still love is Susan and the kids.” Brad assures himself despite feeling the pain of loss. “I don’t want to go into another relationship and hurt myself after that. I wish I had said sooner, Sam.”

“No offense taken. She would still be proud of you if she was still around. A good husband to have around.”

“Unlike the one you used to have.”

“My husband is a scumbag who cared more about his status, money or how many women he slept with. Do you remember what I said about him, Jason?”

“How could I not forget? He is a grade-A Jackass.” Jason remembers that all too well.

“What I didn’t tell you is that i had 4 affairs with other men on the side including the nice guy that my ex nearly killed. The reasons are that he treats me as a possession, his trophy wife, he doesn’t spend more time to get to know me and that he forced me to have sex with no say so in the matter.”

“God… I can work with affairs or dalliances but a man forcing his wife to have with sex is just…”

“He has also beaten me to an inch of my life even when I sleep with him.”

“That when your mother saw the hiccie and had you trained in Martial arts. It was that or keep being your husband punching bag.”

“My ex-husband wasn’t the only one, Jenny. I had an affair with a man from the military. His name was Taylor. He was the opposite of my ex, Charming, wit, hard-working and treat his fellows as an equal.”

“What about the one whom you saved from your husband’s wrath?” Jason reminds her about the other one.

“We parted on good terms. He was friendly, but I had to break it up. Knowing my husband, he would end him should he find out. He was understanding about it though.” Samantha paused for a bit. “Back to the other two: I haven't seen for years since I’ve become a Sentient, which Taylor had to distance himself from me. And the other guy i’ve dated, had a few screws loose, and he was ambitious.”

The others remained quiet; it surprised them she had 4 affairs and a marriage that went poorly.

“I’ve broken up with him when he got clingy and jealous of whom I talk to. He was far worse than my ex, since he would make fun of me in public, and he would be even more demanding. I called it off with him, it was at the same time that I divorced my ex.”

“It was your jealous ex-boyfreind that attacked you when you got back.” 

“Touche! Yes, my crazy lover was the one who attacked me that was before I was a sentient. Thankfully, I could hold my own against him and he was recently turned into a zombie.”

“How did you survive, then?”

“Mutual Kill. Lured him over with the offer of sex and grabbed him by his neck. Broke it like this.” Samantha showed how she killed her crazy ex-lover. “Not before he bit me in my arms and scratched at me.”

“His last parting gift, if he can’t have you… no one can.”

“Last I knew, I was going blind and begin going into seizures. Then wake up the next morning, I became a zombie like him.” Samantha grits her teeth at that memory. “At least my ex is dead gone.”

The rest of the way was quiet, they were few zombies in the area. Even though the zombie apocalypse ruined the world 10 years ago, they were nature still around in Wyoming as well.

When they went past Hoback on their way to Jackson, they notice a crowd of zombies blocking their way.

“Zombies… There are a lot of them.” Brad noticed the horde in front of them.

“No, I’m seeing empties on this side as well.” Jenny seen the horde on their side. “It’s not even the mist, but why are they here?!”

“We’re trapped. Something or someone is controlling them. Be alert!” Jason pulls his own bio-blade.

“Jason? How did you…?” It amazed Samantha that Jason can pull his own bio-blade. She shakes the thought. “I’ll ask later.” 

0