Chapter 7: Unfinished business
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After their encounter with the beast Yggdrasil Master and servant left the stronghold and the factory under which it had been built. Sin walked in a confident stride, while Maria continued to look over her shoulder. "Are you sure this is, you know, safe? Wont they be able to notice us?" Sin dismissed her worries with a wave of her hand and opened the door of "their" van. "This is where your inexperience is of benefit to us, my master. You have not yet connected with your power strongly enough to be noticeable. The enemy would have to stand right next to you to even have an idea. And as for me-" She started the engine and leaned back in her seat, a wide grin on her face. "I am Sin. It would take one of those cowardly elders to notice me if I don't want to be seen." 

They quickly left the dilapidated quarter, blending into the daily afternoon traffic. As they waited at the traffic light Maria looked over to her servant. "So, besides home, where should we go?" Sin tapped her fingers on the steering wheel, her head swaying left and right to a rhythm of her own. "Some supplies for the stronghold would be useful, and there is someone who I would like to pay a visit. They may be able to help with finding a mentor. " With the light turning green they drove on, eventually landing at a parking lot close to the city centre. Here they left the van and took to the streets. It was a bright and warm day and it was appropriately full. People were walking in an out of stores, buying ice cream at small stands, enjoying the weekend all under the eyes of watchful heroes. Maria kept her eyes to the ground, her hands clenching to fists whenever they walked past one. Sin kept a clear head, her voice a mere whisper. "I would recommend doing our shopping first, it may give you a bit of time to prepare for your return home. I can understand that it must be very hard, but-" 

"Hey Maria, long time no see!" A loud, male voice caused them to stop. Maria froze up, her eyes widening in shock. Very slowly she turned around, Sin following her lead, her hands folded behind her back. A young man ran towards them, a hero. His outfit was in bright white and red, with a long cape. Maria bit her teeth together as she looked him in his face, a more than obvious sense of jealousy at his golden blonde hair and bright blue eyes. "Hi, James. Or, what do you go by," she motioned over his outfit, doing her best and least convincing attempt at a smile. "now?" James laughed and slammed a hand on his muscular chest, beaming with pride. "Unbreakable! Cool, huh? They actually took me in on graduation day, I'm sorry I couldn't congratulate you there 'cause of that, anyways, I am really glad you are okay." His smile began to fade, making way for a serious gaze. "I'm sure you heard about what happened to Elizabeth?" Just the mention of the name caused Maria to grasp her chest, her breath going uneven. "No, no I did not, is, is she okay?!" was all she could stammer out, the panic more than genuine. James, or now Unbreakable, nodded. "Yes, luckily. Some crazy villain attacked her home like some sort of living blender, it was gruesome." He gulped, disgust written clearly on his face. "I didn't think I'd have to see something like that on my first job but, no she is alright. Luckily she was out for a meeting. We didn't get to catch the killer, from what we could gather it was a woman, about as tall as you, long pink-red hair and some really scary yellow eyes." While he spoke Maria's eyes widened in terror, every fibre of her being wanted to look over to Sin, but she managed to contain and stop herself from doing so. "If you see anyone like that, please call me immediately, alright? Don't-" Maria interrupted him, bitterness filling her voice. "Yes yes, don't try doing anything, I'm weak, I know." She shook her head, and it was not clear if her trembling came from fear of discovery, or because of resentment. 

"Well, I mean I'm sorry Maria, I'm just, worried you know? If you need anything just, call me alright?" He gave her a last awkward smile. "I'll always have your back, I owe you that much! But, yeah." he scratched the back of his head. "I got to run, I still have a lot of questioning and patrol duty to go, I hope you have a good day!" With that he passed her, disappearing into the crowd. Maria just stared at the ground until she was sure he was gone, then at Sin. "How, on earth, did he not see you?" Her servant answered her with a chuckle and a shrug. "He is quite strong, disgustingly so, I must admit. But he is blind, like all these other heroes. Not without years of training could he hope to perceive my presence if I do not want him to." 

After this excursion their journey was uneventful, they managed to reach the mall without issue. Sin staid hidden at her master's side while Maria passed by the  isles. Their basket filled quickly with their basic necessities. Then Maria stopped by the hair products, staring across the plenitude of hair dyes. "Sin, could you maybe, I." she took a deep breath and grabbed a packet of blonde dye. She stared back at Sin, who was looking at her expectantly. "I want to look more like her." Her words caused her servant to smile, who answered with a small bow. "I never had much privilege to attend her majesty personally, but I shall do my best. Though if I could ask, why not have it be done by someone professional?" Her words caused Maria to avert her gaze. Silently she added the dye to their other purchases. "I don't trust people with blades close by my face." Her answer left Sin without a reply. With their purchases done they left the mall, with Sin now carrying things for her master who had been struggling with the weight. Sin was already turning to return to the parking lot, but Maria grabbed her hand. "I want to walk, it isn't, very far." 

Her voice was filled with such melancholy that Sin did not even take a moment to reply. She merely lowered her head and followed her master silently. They took the same road that Maria had sped across just two days ago, when her mind had been consumed with nothing but the chance to see and talk to Elizabeth, the woman of her dreams. Her insides turned cold when she remembered, cold sweat coating her hands. "What do I tell dad, I never even left for a night, I, how do I tell him what happened, do I tell him anything? Should I just lie, say I got a job, or a place? On such short notice?" The closer they got the faster her heart was beating, her body tensed and she felt about to throw up. Finally they reached home, a small and unassuming house in a quiet, peaceful neighbourhood. They walked through the  little garden and Maria's eyes began to tear up as she looked around her, and stopped there. She began to wander, stopping by a young cherry tree. It was in full bloom, and her heart felt like it was about to burst. "Mom planted this one when I was a child, we used to sit here and she'd tell me stories, though I usually just pestered her to tell me ones about princesses." Her voice began to falter as she looked past it and at the meagre little vegetable garden. "And dad started this one after, after she was gone. He isn't really, good at it." She tried to smile, though her lips quivered too hard to make it out. "He never really liked it before either I, I just think he, wanted to keep something of her, I-" her voice finally broke, devolving into a stammering wail. Sin staid by her side, only inches away. Straight as a statue she had her hands folded behind her back, her feelings hidden under her mask of an expression. Finally Maria turned to face the house, her home. Her legs were quivering, and she began to shake her head. 

"I can't, do this, Sin." 

Her servant looked her in the eyes, then slowly got down on one knee, taking her hand. "You do not have to. Please allow me to handle this in your stead. I will tell him a sweet and wonderful dream, so that he mustn't despair." Maria stared at him for a few agonising minutes until her sobbing began to subside, until she finally regained control of her voice. "Yes, please." 

Without another word Sin rose back onto her feet and took her masters hand. With her help she made it to the front door, where Sin knocked for her. It took only a few seconds for the door to burst open, and Maria immediately began to tear up as she finally saw her father again. Before he could even begin to open his mouth, Sin stepped forward. The servant went onto her tip-toes and laid her hand on his forehead, his eyes turning hazy. In a soft and gentle voice she began to speak. 

"Maria has been fine, there was no need to worry. She was accepted into her college and was out of town to prepare everything at her dorm. Her roommates are very nice and friendly young women who like her and accept her. There is nothing that has gone wrong, and nothing to worry. She merely came over to get a few last things." 
With that she took a step back, looking at her master. "I will stay here, take as long as you need, my dear master." It took a few moments for her fathers eyes to regain their focus. He looked a little surprised for a moment, then his wide smile returned. "Oh Mary, I am so happy to hear that everything is going so well and-" he was interrupted as Maria surged forward and wrapped her arms around him, her tears once more streaming forth. "I missed you so much." He looked at her in surprise and began to carefully pat her head. "Well there there, it's hardly been a few days. You'll need to be a little tougher you know, college is pretty far out and the way is long." Maria shook her head, her grip as tight as it could be. It took her almost a minute to let go, and all wiping her face with her sleeve did nothing to stop her tears. "I uhm, I just wanted to, grab Sir Screech." Her father let out a hearty laugh and gave her a pat on the back. "Ah he is just where you left him you know. He's been waiting patiently, knew you wouldn't just leave him." He closed the door as the two entered, and Maria looked around her old home. Everything was still so familiar, the smell of the wooden stairs, the old furniture from her grandparents, the door of the fridge that to this day was still filled with the countless little scribbles and drawings she had made as a child. All of it hurt, beyond compare. She could not take it. 

Swiftly she took the stairs up to her room, where her feelings only ruptured her soul even more. She had left her bed a mess, and now it was neatly tidied up, with Sir Screech, her plush owl laying on the pillow with a little note attached, reading. "Welcome home, princess." It was too much. Her legs gave out under her and she screamed, she wailed. Clawed at her face, the ground, leaving her cheeks and fingers bloody. Her body convulsed and shook as she cried for everything she had known, that she had loved, that she would have to leave behind. She cried in despair of the dark thought that consumed her mind, until it was all she could think, erasing any last shred of reason. 

"I wont ever see this again, will I?" 

She did not know how long she staid up there, only that the sun had begun to set when she returned to her senses. She crawled over to her bed and took Sir Screech into her arms, holding him tightly, a lifeline connecting her to her old life. With shaking hands she folded the note and put it into the breast pocket of her vest, standing up with her legs still trembling. Without a sound and looking back she went out of her room and down the stairs, poking her head into the living room. Her father had fallen asleep in front of the tv, snoring peacefully. She could not bring herself to take a step into the room. Because she knew that if she did, she would never be able to leave again. So she made her way to the main door, clutching sir Screech for dear life, and left. The sound of the door closing behind her, their welcoming bell ringing, etched themselves into her mind. Sin was standing at the exit of the garden, looking back at her silently. 

Every step Maria took felt as heavy as the last, her shoulders were slumped forward, more lurching than walking. As she passed Sin her servant lowered her head in deference. "Would you wish to return to the stronghold, or meet with my contact? She works day and night, the time makes no difference." Maria stopped, resisting every urge to look back homeward. "Let's just get it over with. Lead the way." 

Sin bowed and turned down the street. "It is not too long, she is a very business-centred woman so-" 

"Sin?" The tone, or lack of any in her master's voice caused her to turn around immediately. "Yes, my master?" Upon looking her master in the eyes, every hair on her body stood up. 

"I either win and become queen, or I lose and I die, right?" Sin furrowed her brows, but nodded in agreement. "Yes, my master. There is no alternative to this." 

Maria took one hand off of sir Screech and stared down  at it, clenching it to a fist. "I don't want one. I will never, ever." her nails dug into her skin, but at this point she did not even feel the pain. "Forgive them. If it is Coronation or decapitation, then that is how it will be. Bring me to that woman, Sin." 

Once more Sin answered with a deep bow, trembling just lightly under the gaze of her master. "Your will be done." She replied, her voice filled with pride. 

0