Chapter 14: Purity of Purpose, Purity of Mind
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the Stronghold Maria laid down on the sofa, the rest of her strength leaving her body. While Sin entered the bathroom to prepare her master's bath, Elaine staid by her side, sitting down on the ground by Maria's face, her head and gaze respectfully lowered. With the entry gate closing Maria could finally feel herself relaxing and her eyes trailed on over Elaine, noticing the small, thin thread-like scars across her limbs. She laid a hand on her servants head, running her fingers through her hair. "I didn't think a beast would be this short, honestly." The touch caused Elaine to glow up in joy, eagerly she leaned into her touch. "It is the easiest way to contain myself, my beloved master. I can grow or change as you wish, in whichever way I would best suit your needs. I can be just as tall as our dear elder sister, if you so desired. My function is to always be at your side, so I wish to best fullfill my purpose." 

In excitement Elaine slurred her voice, overwhelming Maria quickly and having her just smile and continue patting her head. "You are, fine just the way you are, Elaine. I am glad to have you by my side." The shine in Elaine's eyes at her throwaway niceties was enough to tug at Maria's heartstrings, though her mind was speechless at such an overpowering, unquestioned devotion directed at herself. 

The bathroom door opened again, a thin veil of steam following Sin as she stepped outside and returned to her master's side. "Your bath is prepared, my master. I will now instruct Yggdrasil, as per your desire." While speaking Sin remained in a deep bow, which she did not break as Maria got back up. "Good, return to me when you are finished and report to me, alright? You may stand." First now, at her master's permission, did she rise. "Your wish is my command, my master. I will ensure that your will be done." As Sin left for Yggdrasil's chamber, Maria made her way  to the bath, with Elaine following her silently, only stopping at the bathroom door when Maria did, who looked at her with a light blush. "I, would like to be alone for, this, Elaine." 
Her servant looked back at her with an expression of pure heartbreak, distraught she folded her hands in front of her. "I am to leave your side so soon, my beloved master? Is my dress this inappropriate, did I behave too unsightly in your service?" Very slowly the short beast got down on one knee, lowering her head. "Please do not cast me aside, my beloved master. Let your servant not wallow in the dark when she has first now seen her light again." 

The lamenting was nothing if not effective, Maria heard herself speak before she had even made a thought. "No, not at all, you can come if it means that much to you, I'm sure you could use some cleaning as well." From one moment to the next Elaine was back on her feet, beaming with joy as she followed her master. The bathroom was quite expansive, befitting the royalty that had once called it her home, with multiple drawers and a large tub, already filled and prepared. Thick steam from the warm water had filled the room,  a welcoming feeling that finally had Maria notice just how sore her body was feeling after the trepidations of the past few days. Elaine had already gotten undressed, and Maria followed suit, albeit with a little more reluctance. Together they sunk into the warm water and Maria's eyes immediately fell shut at the overwhelming comfort and merciful warmth that spread through her body. Elaine staid on the other side of the tub, her knees pulled up to her face with her arms wrapped around them. Not for a moment did she  take her eyes off of her master's face. 

Maria began to lose track of time as she laid in the water, her mind at ease in this setting that was at once familiar, but so radically different. For the better, she found. With her troubles far away, blocked out by walls of stone and magic she still did not understand, surrounded by the first people outside her family that she could call trustworthy and loyal, her mind began to wander to better places. She could see herself, dressed in immaculate clothing, black and golden with a beautiful tiara on her head, surrounded by her beasts and flocks of admirers and courtiers. Hear the steady, calming sound of marching drums and a thousand steps in total unison, the cheering of the crowd who acclaimed their new beloved queen. A wide, serene smile spread across her face as she imagined a white, immaculate castle of ivory, towering above a beautiful, orderly city. Her dreams grew darker, though without losing her feeling of joy, as she imagined the lines upon lines of heroes in chains, ridiculed for their stubbornness, arrogance and defiance against the true and just order. The thought of them all needing to bow as she ascended the steps towards the castle gate caused her heart to feel warm, full and complete, free from the thorny spread of resentment she had carried with her all her life. 

And then the door opened. And while Sin was quick to close the door behind her, the one quick breeze of the colder air brought Maria back into the here and now, back to her duties, her unaddressed resentment. Sin looked at Elaine in surprise, narrowing her eyebrows with a disapproving "tsk": "Do you not consider it unsightly to use your looks in such a way? Without giving the other beast another look she made her way to Maria's end of the but, batting her eyes as she approached. With the silence broken and her addressed, Elaine let out a chuckle, rolling her eyes. "You know well my function, dear elder sister. Our beloved master has been going through much, I am sure, her shield should not leave her side and provide comfort whenever possible. Was that not my purpose?" 

Before Sin could reply Maria rose a hand out of the water. "Don't, please just, let it be." While there was no commanding strength in her voice, Sin restrained herself. Without raising her gaze she continued. "I have instructed Yggdrasil to monitor the outside world as you wished, my master. She will compile a report and devise a possible course of action, but asked for the night to do so. I would believe it to be an understandable request, if you agree, my master?" A light nod was all Maria could muster to her words, her gaze drifting off into a corner, which she stared at without seeing it. "That is fine, I do not want to do, much anymore tonight. You can tell her that." 

Without a clear dismissal Sin looked to the tray of lotions she had prepared, and a weak, if sincere, smile spread across her face. "You have not washed yet, my master. I would believe due to your exhaustion, yes? Would you like me to do so for you?" Before she could answer Elaine stood up, staring at Sin with a furious glare. "And why do you believe that you get to do so, dear sister? Such intimate a task falls into my responsibility, of course it does!" Her loud voice caused Maria to bite her teeth together, and at this slightest sign of discomfort Elaine was quick to resume her position, lowering her gaze in shame. "Please, forgive me, my beloved master, I, submit to your wishes." After her outburst it was silent in the room, none of the servants daring to agitate their master further, who finally spoke. "Sure, Sin, go ahead." With the rest of her strength Maria sat upright, folding her hands in her lap. 

As Sin looked at her master, her expression softened, a wave of unspeakable nostalgia drenching the eldest beast. Very carefully she cupped up water of the bath with her hands and let it run through her hair, drenching it. Not daring to overstep her line again, Elaine staid silent and stiff as a statue, scraping over her fine skin with her nails. "Sin," Maria began as her servant began to rub shampoo into her hair, relaxing under the surprisingly gentle touch of her servant. "Rea, she lied." The unspoken ",right?" was plain for both servants to  see, and both dismissed it outright. "She was an enemy, eternally hostile and eternally false, my master. Your sight is both true and sharp, to see through her this way." Sin took the shower head, testing the water temperature over her hand before holding it over Maria, careful not to let any run down her face as she washed out her shampoo. "It was a great test, worthy of a queen of much more experience, my master. Your ancestor had the privilege of a family that stood by her until the end. That you managed to defeat them despite your bonds shows your wisdom and perseverance, you are truly an example of an indomitable spirit." 

Word for word reached Maria's ears, adding to the pleasant warmth of the water and near causing her mind to wander once more, though the touch of her servant was enough to keep her anchored in reality. "I didn't want it to come to that, though. I much rather would have had them join me instead, well, Rea, not, him." She gritted her teeth at the mere memory. "That he lied to me all this time after murdering mom, I can never, forgive that."  With her hair done, Sin turned off the shower head again, carefully running her hands through her master's hair once. "If you could stand up, my master, so I can continue?" Her words had Maria pause for a moment, shame and embarrassment running amok in her mind until she looked back at Sin, her batted eyes, her weary smile, and the feelings vanished. "Just, be swift with it, I really want to lay down." she managed to mutter, and stood up, water running down her body. Even without her sight she could feel the jealousy of Elaine as Sin began to coat her body in lotion, doing her best to be speedy, but thorough, never raising her gaze. 

First after starting the shower and finishing to rinse her master clean did she look back at her face. "You have grown far beyond what I could have wished for in my most passionate dreams, my master. It warms my rotten heart, more than any slaughter could." She began to drain the tub and swiftly went to one of the many closets, producing two towels for them, handing one to Elaine and carefully wrapping it around her master. Maria held onto Sin as she stepped out of the bath, but did not let go when she was firmly on her feet. Her mind raced as she stared at Sin, who returned her gaze with growing confusion. Finally Maria embraced her in a tight hug, resting her head on her servant's chest. "Thank you, Sin. For everything you've done for me. I promise," for a moment her voice cracked. "I will make you proud." 

Her words left Sin at a loss for her own, all she could do was lay a hand on her master's head to comfort her. They staid locked like this for what felt like an eternity for both, before Maria began to shiver at the cold. "I'll, go to bed now, please help out Yggdrasil if she needs assistance, we can't know too much about what's going on outside." With that Maria darted out of the bath, her face a deep crimson, followed by Elaine, step by step. 

Sin staid in the bath for a while, staring down at her scaled hands and sharpened nails. "Not even once did you flinch, my master." She shook her head and turned to leave as well, though she made sure to wipe her face first. "How a beast feel anything but pride in the service of such brilliant and merciful a master." 

Maria had leapt into her bed, hiding her face in her hands out of embarrassment, her body trembling. "Oh god what did I, how did I, ah, Elizabeth." Her heart was a storm of feelings, of unrequited love, fear and yearning that was only broken when she felt the soft and familiar touch of plush. She took her hands away from her face and looked into the yes of Sir screech. Elaine was holding him up to her master, her gaze averted. "He has your scent over it more than I thought possible, he must be very important, I thought." Maria took her plush and clutched Sir Screech tightly to her chest, nodding with a crimson face. "Yes he is, my best, friend, well, my only one." Her voice trailed off, without effect on Elaine. "I see, my beloved master. I would say that you need no others, now that you have us, your beasts, but I understand that this may be something I cannot understand." She turned to leave, a light tremble running through her body. "I would, assume that, you wish to sleep undisturbed, yes? If so I shall, guard the door." 

Before Elaine could take a step, Maria reached out and grasped her arm, shocked at how soft and forgiving her body was. She could feel no bone, not even strains of muscle. Only unknown mass, encased in pristine white skin. "I, am fine if you want to stay here with me, Elaine. I'll rely on you a lot in the future I am sure so, I would be, happy if you could stay." 

Maria could not see, but imagine the tears that streamed down her servant's face. Without a moment of hesitation she turned around and slipped under the covers, nudging right next to her without touching, hesitation still clear in her eyes. Maria sighed and wrapped her arms around Elaine, pulling her in close along with Sir Screech. "You're mine, Elaine, right? You and the others will never abandon or, turn on me?" 

Elaine returned the embrace, nestling into her master, glad that she did not seem to mind her lack of a pulse. "We live to serve you, my beloved master. There is nothing else for us, nor  would we want for anything else."

0