Chapter 21
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time we get to my house, my feet are aching from walking around all day.

It’s already 5pm – only two hours until we’re meant to meet Jade and his friend Cameron. Jade texted Kitty earlier to say that some of Cameron’s work is on show at an exhibition near my house, so we’ll stop there before grabbing something to eat at the Artisan Foods Market in Byleth Park.

Jade offered to pick us up of course, but Kitty wouldn’t hear of it – on the first date, she says, it’s important to maintain an air of mystery and independence. Arrive and leave on your own terms, insist on paying half the bill, and absolutely no kissing.

I’m sure I won’t struggle with that last one – I’ve never even met Cameron before, after all. We’ll probably just end up spending the night in an awkward conversation, counting down the minutes while Kitty and Jade cozy up to one another.

I’m starting to seriously regret saying yes to the whole date thing. It was a spur of the moment decision, a knee-jerk reaction to Felix telling me that I couldn’t go.

I’d love nothing better than to curl up with a book and a cup of tea tonight. Not only are my feet sore, but my scar is more painful than usual. I’m exhausted, and I feel like it shows.

While Kitty’s in my ensuite shower loudly belting out the lyrics to I Knew You Were Trouble, I scrutinize my reflection in front of a full-length mirror.

I allow the fluffy white towel wrapped around me to slip down to my waist, so that I can see the scar under my left breast. It’s still an angry purple, stinging with remembered pain over the spot where the silver serpent floating in the woods hit me a few weeks ago.

This is the same spot that Felix stabbed me in my dream. The same spot the long shard of shattered glass embedded itself into my ribs during the accident.

The accident.

Maybe it’s time to finally wear the dress.

I let the towel drop the ground, and I walk over to my wardrobe, swinging open the doors before I lose my resolve. At the back of the wardrobe, a single dress hangs apart from all the others.

I slip it off the hanger, bringing it out into the light where I can see it properly for the first time in two years.

A simple, pale blue silk sheath ending just above the knee. I bought it the day before the bus accident, after Mia said that she thought Evan was going to ask me as his date to the Freshman Formal.

The theme was Winter Wonderland, and I’d already put so much thought into my outfit. I even bought a matching tiara to go along with it.

And stupidest of all, I bought a matching bow tie for Evan. I saw it at the formalwear shop where I bought my dress, and it seemed like a good way of making the whole date thing come true. Like if I bought it, and I already had it, the universe would have to make him ask me.

I couldn’t have known then just how differently things would turn out.

Evan’s blue bow tie is at the top of my wardrobe, in a box. The same box the shop assistant put it in when I bought it. I’ve never opened it, and I’m not going to now. It’s too painful.

I hold the dress up, and slip into it, feeling the cool fabric caress my skin like a shower of icy kisses. The silk is like liquid, flowing and light, perfect for the unusually hot evening.

Underwear is an afterthought – I go over to my drawers and select a matching bra and briefs set. No one’s going to see them, of course, but this is my first date ever. Everything has to be perfect. 

Next, I pull a shoebox out from under my bed. Wrapped up in tissue paper, untouched since I bought them two years ago, are the pearly white ballet-style shoes I bought for the dance. They were slightly too big when I bought them, but by now they might be too small.

It sit down on the side of my bed, slipping my feet into the shoes.

“A perfect fit,” I say to myself out loud.

“Sorry to ruin your Cinderella moment,” Kitty says. She walks out of the ensuite bathroom, a towel wrapped around her and water dripping from her dark hair.

“Where’s your GHD?” She asks. “It wasn’t in the bathroom cabinet like you said it would be.”

“I’ll go get it,” I say. Mom must have taken it like usual. It’ll be on her vanity table.

“That’s an amazing dress by the way,” she says. “It’s a bit formal, but not like prom formal. Perfect for the art gallery. I bet Cameron’s going to be one happy guy.”

She winks at me with a sly smile, and I leave the room before she can notice my reddening cheeks.

I walk across the hall to my parents’ bedroom, grateful that both mom and dad are at Biblio by now.

The GHD is on mom’s vanity, as I knew it would be. As I pick it up, I cast my eyes over to the jewelry box.

I click open the latch, pulling a simple silver chain from the top tray. Then I set the tray aside, and carefully pull up the hidden panel. I pick up the ring, amazed once more at the coldness of the metal, as if it were made of snow, not silver.

Slipping the ring on to the silver chain, I hold the makeshift necklace up to the light.

Let’s see how Kitty reacts to this.

I fasten the chain around my neck. The ring lies just below my neck, tiny opalescent scales glinting like a thousand mirrors.

Then I replace the panel, and return the jewelry box to how it was.

I hurry back to my room. Kitty’s sitting at my vanity, outlining her lips with a red pencil in the mirror. The color perfectly matches the black and crimson lace dress she’s changed into. 

I hand her the GHD. She takes it absently, puckering her lips as she fills them in.

She doesn’t seem to even notice the ring around my neck.

“What do you think of this necklace?” I ask her, pointing to my collarbone. “I thought silver would go well with the pale blue.”

I’m watching for any sign of recognition. But there’s nothing. She flicks her eyes over to it with a smile, reaching out for a quick look.

“What’s that, a snake?” She says. “That’s strange. But beautiful too. Sort of like you.”

“Thanks… I think,” I say.

“Anyway, I’m doing your makeup, and you’re not saying no,” she says. “And while I’m at it, you’re going to tell me everything you know about Jade.”

*****

The hot weather turns cooler as the sun sets, but it’s still warm out when we leave the house. There are distant, dark clouds hovering menacingly over the horizon, signaling rain later in the evening. Kitty convinces me not to take a jacket along – if I get cold, my date will give me his. And of course an umbrella is a big no no. I’m worried about getting caught in a downpour later and my carefully applied makeup running, but Kitty assures me it’s all waterproof.

I expected her to give me some dramatic, vampy look with wine-red lips and dark eye-shadow. Instead, she went with a subtle cat’s eye, a good lashing of mascara, and dusty rose lips. I feel the prettiest I’ve ever felt in my whole life, which should be reassuring, but only makes me more nervous for the night ahead.

The art gallery is only a few minutes’ walk away. The whole way there I can feel my heart hammering against my ribs, beating so fast that I feel like it might explode. Doubts swirl around in my head.

What if Cameron doesn’t like me? What if he bails on the date and I’m a third wheel? What if he thinks I’m too quiet? What is he only likes sporty girls, or older women, or girls with sexy foreign accents?

After what feels like forever, we reach the art gallery. It’s dark outside, but buttery golden light glows from within the building. I hear a gentle stream of polite chatter bubbling from inside, and whispers of a violin playing in an upstairs room.

Kitty stands on the sidewalk, peering in through the window for a moment. For all her big talk, I can see she’s slightly nervous as well. 

“Should we go in?” I say.

“No, I’ll text Jade,” she says.

She reaches in to her bag, but before she can get her phone, I see a familiar face. Jade walks out of the art gallery. His sandy blonde hair is tied back, and he’s wearing denims, boat shoes, a Breton stripe tee and a light grey man scarf. I see Kitty do a double take. Jade really is male model material.

“I hope you weren’t waiting long,” Jade says, that same old smile I’ve known for so many years playing on his lips.

A guy in dark jeans, a grey flannel shirt and suede brogues follows him out the door.

Oh my god. That can’t be Cameron.

He’s super hot, much hotter than I expected, and clearly in his twenties – probably twenty-one, like Jade. His hair is dark and tousled, slightly curly, and he has cheekbones that could cut through glass. Most alluring are his eyes – a pale, icy blue, fixed now on me as he and Jade walk over to us.

“You must be Ashling,” he says with a confident smile.

Based on everything Jade’s ever mentioned about this guy, he’s a total player. I can see why now. All that matters is keeping my cool, having a decentish evening, and getting home in one piece afterwards. Easy.

“Yeah,” I say. “You’re Cameron I’m guessing?”

“That’s right,” he smiles, and I notice a lip ring glinting on his lower lip.

“I don’t usually do this sort of thing by the way,” he says, looking to the side as Jade and Kitty pass us by. “Blind dates and whatever. Just so you know.”

“Me neither,” I say, feeling strangely relieved.

“Wanna come inside?” He says, gesturing to the front door. “Look’s like Jade’s gone ahead.”

“Sure, ” I say, walking alongside him into the building.

Here goes nothing.

0