Chapter 19: Hidden in Pink Sight
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We started moving down slowly. The levitator was significantly slower than the one that took us up to Sakon. I wasn’t complaining, but this trip wasn’t starting off well. Looking at Mark’s bruises kept making me nervous for what was to come. 

Mark noticed me taking short glances at his face. “It’s fine,” he said. “I’ve been through much worse.”

“That couldn’t have been the last guard. And you’re in no—”

“I said I’m fine.” He wiggled his fingers at me. “See? Nothing broken.”

I rolled my eyes and returned to staring at the levitator door. I couldn’t even tell if the levitator was moving.

About a minute passed. It seemed like we were still going down. I was about to ask Mark when we were going to arrive, but we suddenly jolted to a halt. 

Mark handed me the taser stick. “You’re going to need that more than me.”

I took it without hesitation. Although I was uninjured, Mark was in way better physical shape than me. I could barely make out any muscle on my arms. It’s brain over brawn, I told myself. But Mark wasn’t dumb either.

I looked over at the taser stick in my hand. It seemed like the electricity was running constantly. I could see small little sparks at the tip. You know, this is probably what people call an electric baton

When I looked up, I realized Mark had already left the levitator and was waiting for me outside. Oh. I quickly got off. I needed to stop getting sidetracked. 

We were lucky enough that nobody was guarding this side of the levitator, but I didn’t understand why it felt so surprisingly empty. They probably thought that the first guard would suffice? Well, if it was me, I’d put maybe twenty next to both entrances. 

I looked around. It was a wide, rectangular floor with no doors or windows. Attached to the wall was a small sign that read, Sector 1. Dans was in Sector 4-F. 

There were rows of shelves on the outer perimeter with a bunch of desks towards the middle. On each desk, there were beakers and vials full of different colored liquids all being moved around by what looked like robotic arms attached to the ceiling. It kind of reminded me of a factory with all the automations. 

I saw one of the arms swirling a vial full of red liquid. The liquid then started to bubble and turn pink. Afterwards, the vial was capped and placed on one of the shelves to the side. 

Curious, I walked over and picked up one of the vials.

“What are you doing?” Mark asked.

“I’m looking,” I replied. “What if this is real valuable?”

“We came here to find Dans, Mel.”

“I know, I know.” I looked at the vial. There was only a single red label on it with a picture of an exclamation mark. Poison maybe? I moved it away from me. But if this was really some secret poison they were manufacturing… Might come in handy. I pocketed it under my suit, being careful not to break the vial. I could test it out on something later. Maybe see what this thing really does. 

“Come on, Mel.” 

“Yeah, coming.” 

I caught up to Mark who was already at the other end of the room. He was standing in front of two different doors. One of them was marked with a sign that said, Levitator. I looked at the other door. It was unmarked. 

“Should we open it?” I asked Mark. 

“No, there’s no point. Dans wouldn’t be there.”

“How would you know that?”

“I came here before.”

“You did?” 

“Yes.”

I stared at him. “Not gunna elaborate?”

“No.”

“Alright. Fine.” I decided not to question him. It seemed like it would be more trouble for what it was worth. 

I opened the door to the levitator, but it opened up into another hallway. It seemed like the actual levitator was still farther down. 

I groaned. I hadn’t taken a break since I left the sakoar. I wanted to sit down somewhere, but Mark kept walking without ever looking back. I forced my legs to keep moving. Being left behind was not a part of my plans.

Eventually, we were in front of another levitator. They should’ve just had one going all the way down, I thought. I was sick and tired of levitators.

Mark swiped the stolen keycard on the door lock. The door, however, opened before he could finish swiping. 

We froze. Inside, a guard dressed similarly to Jacob stared back at us. 

I did what I thought was best and I quickly jabbed my baton at the guard’s exposed neck. The guard moved back to avoid my baton, but was instead met with Mark’s body slam. He was quickly knocked out cold. 

“Nice reaction,” Mark called out. “Led him right to me.”

“Yeah…” I held the baton sheepishly in my hands.

We dragged the unmoving guard out of the levitator and walked in. I then thought of a brilliant idea. 

“Mark”—I pointed at the guard’s suit—“wear that.”

“Why?” he asked. 

“Because…” I waited for him to try and understand. 

Mark continued to stare. “Are you… going to tell me?”

Mark, why did you become stupid? I pointed at the suit again. “Suit.” Then at him. “You. Disguise. Get it?”

“Ah…” Mark shook his head. “Yes, I got it. You can stop talking to me like a child—Were you always like this?”

“Don’t care. Just wear the suit.”

“And what about you?”

“I’ll be a prisoner.” I grinned.

Mark let out a long sigh and got to undressing the guard. Before he took his own suit off, he gestured for me to turn away.

“Really? We’re both—” 

He gave an annoyed look and held up the guard suit. “Would you like to be the guard?”

“Alright, fine. Geez.” I turned around. Could’ve said that earlier. What about the guard’s privacy? I literally saw all his bits and pieces just now

After a few minutes, Mark successfully changed into the guard suit. With his buff and tall stature, he looked better than any other guard I’ve seen yet. 

We headed inside the levitator again. This one had traditional elevator buttons with a bunch of numbers. Since Dans was in Sector 4-F, I pressed the button for the fourth floor. The door to the levitator closed shut. 

We were now descending deeper into the depths of Sakoria’s underground. Well, it was more underwater than underground though.

0