Chapter 1 The Cemetery
87 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Some of the greatest adventures that had ever happened starts in an accident, but I guess that’s just how fate and winds decree it”

-Ignia Falco, Daughter of the Sephiroth Chief of Nidus 

 

The sky was painted red, purple, and gold, the falling leaves from a distant Oaktree mirrored the same colors. He could feel the chill in the air as evening approached. His breath coming out in cold white huffs. William knew that it was now late autumn, the tell-tale signs of Christmas creeping in the corners as the Halloween decorations were being swept away and placed back into basements to hide again for another year, only to be shown the light of day when Halloween comes again.

The young boy of 14 years of age walked on the cold street of their town. He had just finished school about an hour ago and was now walking back home.

The building and stores he passed by bathed his body in warm lights and the noisy voices of the customers inside filled his ears. He watched as children his age formed groups and walked together on the cobblestone path. They laughed at the jokes they told each other and they smiled so wide that William wondered how come their cheeks don’t hurt.

He pushed bitterness that threatened to overflow from his chest and picked up his pace. The sight of the building around him started to lessen as he continued his walk. His house was not located in the busy part of the town, but rather near the borders.

So every time he walks back home he passes by the park and even the cemetery, which is now right in front of him.

Sapphire-colored eyes observed the cold silver of the gates towards the cemetery, William could see the numerous headstones placed in rows. Back then, every time he passed by this place, shivers ran through him as goosebumps appeared on his pale skin. But now he was used to seeing the sight and didn’t bother to cower or whisper prayers under his breath.

Yet it seems that today was going to be like usual, on the corners of his eye he saw a movement.

William froze a bit in surprise but still continued to search for the origin of the movement. He walked towards the cold and rusted gate of the cemetery to take a peek inside. This cemetery was a public one so anyone could come and go as they liked but no one really bothers unless it’s for visiting a loved one or middle school kids looking for a good scare.

‘After all, no one likes hanging around with the dead’

The boy thought as he pushed the gate open.

A shrill noise similar to the screams of the crows that inhabit the cemetery erupted from the old weather-beaten gate but he paid it no mind.

The minute he stepped into the cemetery it was as if he was transported to another space. The silence permitted in the air and the chill in the air got even colder.

Autumn looked like it had gotten here sooner than the rest of the down based on the withered trees and piles of dried brown leaves. 

They emitted a loud crunch underneath his foot, the smell of wet earth and death made him scrunch up his nose.

Then a near-silent sound of something falling appeared on his right. William immediately looked at the origin of the sound to see……a cat?

They’re staring at him with slitted glowing red eyes was a feline. With slick fur the color ink that reminded him of his hair and a thin and slender figure. The cat didn’t look like it was a stray but there was no collar on it either.

He tried to go near the cat to see if it had any accessories that might point him to the owner however before he could the cat ran off. Out of instinct, he ran after the cat.

Their chase lasted for about ten minutes before he managed to corner the act on the cemetery walls. Tall stone blocks formed the wall and made it strong even after centuries after it had been built.

Sweat clung to his clothes as haggard breaths came out of him. The chase had wrung him out of his already limited stamina, William isn’t an active person and never will be.

“That’s it you smug cat, this is the end of the line”

He grumbled with clear exhaustion and annoyance lacing his voice.

The young boy glared at the self-satisfied feline who looked like it wasn’t even close to tired and was busy licking its paws.

His limited patience that came with being a teenager was long gone and he practically lunged on the cat.

But then he suddenly felt the ground he stepped on slowly crumble under his feet, the wet soil and dried grass fell to pieces. His eyes dilated in fear as he felt sudden weightlessness seep into his body. The last sight he saw was that of the evening sky being drained of its colors as darkness swallows it along with his consciousness.

 

0