Chapter 10 Waiting
30 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Cultures and traditions could be categorized into two ideas. They’re either important knowledge given by our ancestors or peer pressure from dead men. It just depends on your perspective”

-A rebellious Cetos fingerling  from the Azure Lagoon

 

It took them about another three days to reach the Azure Lagoon. The whole travel there, they were completely on guard and ready to run or fly in case that creature appears again. But thankfully it didn’t and the whole journey there was relatively safe.

William again saw many wonderful things but he wasn’t in the mood to appreciate them since he was too nervous and scared of the possibility of that creature emerging again to drag him off to its domain.

These three days, the idea of going home seems to have grown bleaker. Because back then without this Abyss mess, they were only half sure that the Cetos seer knew a way to send him back.

But now with the arising of the danger of the Hollow Woods being overtaken by the Abyss his chances of going home soon was slipping from his hands like sand.

When the Cetos find out about the situation then they would undoubtedly be busy trying to find a solution and what time would they have left to help out a stranger then?

His hopes were crumbling and only the existence and knowledge that his parents were worried about him made him keep on holding on.

Ignia had told him that they were near the end of their 7th-day travel.

He was grateful and relieved that the long journey was done. The boy was sure that his feet were already callus and cracked with the long distance he had walked.

Ignia led him through an opening in the trees to see a magnificent sight.

In front of them was a lagoon with serene waters and an aquamarine color so pure it looked unreal, so crystal-clear that you can see the waterbed even in the deepest parts.

At the northern side of the circular lagoon was a cave that leads downwards. The tunnel inside was quite large and William had no trouble imagining a giant enter through the large cave.

“That’s only the entrance of the Azure Lagoon, the real domain is hidden underneath. They’re kinda like the Mundus and live under the earth. But before we should enter I should give you a warning”

He looked at her questioningly with caution in his eyes but seeing Ignia give him an easy smile he knew he shouldn’t worry much.

“While the Mundus absolutely hate getting out of their domain, the Cetos are kinda the opposite of that”

She hinted before walking towards the Lagoon and dropping down on one knee.

“They like going out?”

He hesitantly guessed before walking towards the Lagoon too and sitting on its shores.

“Nope! The truth is, they actually hate the idea of letting other creatures go inside their domain”

She nonchalantly said as if she didn’t imply that they were probably not going to be able to go inside then calmly scooped up some water on her palm and drank it.

“Wh-what!!? Then how are we going to do“

“You're probably an exemption though, considering what you are. The Cetos are extremely protective of their home because of an accident a while back when some Mundus affected by Abyss rocks went crazy and almost killed some of their fry. Since then, no other possibly dangerous creatures are allowed inside the Lagoon, not that I blame the thought, my tribe would have probably done the same if someone tried to hurt our hatchlings”

She stood up again and flew lightly towards the cave and strongly pounded on the cave walls. She then flew back to him and stood in at the shores

“When the stone cave outside is hit strong enough, sound vibrations are directed on the bottom of the tunnel and tells the Cetos that someone’s here for a trade. Those fishes might be possessive over their home but they’re actually a pretty friendly bunch as long as you act according to their customs”

“Customs?”

William carefully listened to Ignia’s explanation of the Azure Lagoon and the Cetos. He was glad that he had Ignia to help him out in his journey because he was sure that he wouldn’t last a day otherwise.

“Yes, the Cetos value their customs and traditions so it’s better for me to explain while we wait for them to resurface,” she remarked while keeping an eye at the entrance of the cave. 

“First is don’t disrespect them and try to cheat them at the trade, no one really does that since the shame of a person is the shame of their tribe but there’s still plenty of faulty feathers out there so that rule is in place. Although pretty much every tribe has that rule. Second, no one touches them. Cetos consider physical touches to be very intimate so no touchies. Third, no dirtying their waters. They hate getting their waters dirtied so if anybody dives in the water they better have bathed earlier. Blood is also very much not allowed in the waters. Cetos are omnivores and eat fishes, so blood in the water awakens their hunting instincts''

“Wait! They eat fish? Isn’t that kinda like cannibalism?”

William had heard of the topic of creatures eating their own kind back at his science class. Their teacher had explained the Black Widow spiders and praying mantises as examples.

“What’s cannibalism?”

Ignia just looked at him surprised and completely clueless as to even how to pronounce the word.

‘Looks like the table had turned’

William happily thought to himself, remembering his first meeting with the teen and her correcting him at the name of their kin.

“Cannibalism is when creatures of the same species eat each other. It’s really gross and scary”

He watched as Ignia processed what he had said, then the corner of her mouth raised into a mocking smile.

“You do know that treating Cetos as fishes is equivalent to treating us Sephiroths as birds, right?”

She grinned far too sharply for his liking as her eyes twinkled with amusement. William backed away a bit before clarifying his thoughts.

“I don’t mean to bring up your race in this Ignia but aren’t Cetos bipedal fishes?’

Ignia looked about ready to start laughing right there and then as she stifled a burst of laughter that escaped her mouth. She looked like she clearly enjoyed making fun of him.

William crossed his arms and glared at the older teen with great annoyance. He disliked being made fun like this but he saw it happen a lot with his other classmates so this must be something that was normally done by friends but he was still embarrassed at being the end of a joke.

“Yes, you are technically correct but” she dragged her words out to add a sense of suspense and William was about ready to strangle the information out of her, “What do you think a Cetons would look like William?”

His face scrunched up in confusion before answering honestly. He didn't know where Ignia was going with this but he really wanted to know more about the Cetos so that he knew what to do to not offend them. After all, he needs their help to get him home.

“Um, fishes with legs and arms?”

William imagined the Cetos as fishes about the size of a tuna that somehow has arms and legs with scales. It wasn’t a pretty sight but that was what first entered his mind. He might have imagined a prettier sight of mermaids if they told him that they had fish tails, but according to the Chief they were ‘overgrown fishes with arms and legs’. 

Upon hearing his answers, Ignia finally couldn't take it anymore and burst out laughing. She clutched her stomach as she laughed loud enough to scare off the birds that were perched upon the tree not far from them.

“Father isn’t one for descriptions so I don’t blame you for making that conclusion but damn, your in for a surprise”

She had managed to say in between her laughter. William felt his face heat up at being laughed at yet as he watched her continue to laugh, he couldn’t help but join in as well.

“What kind of surprise”

He had asked after they had their laughing fit and were now calmly sitting on the shores. 

While waiting for the other’s response he heard sounds emerging from the cave. Loud thumps of footsteps echoed on the cave walls and spread outside.

“One in the height of 8 feet”

0