Oneshot
50 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shiori stared blankly out the window of the moving car.

She and her father were moving houses to Tokyo and in the back where she was sitting was completely filled up to the point where she could barely move.

But she didn’t really feel like caring about it.

She took a cursory glance over at her father, maybe hoping for something. He hadn’t spoken a word to her for the entire trip.

Shiori returned her gaze to the outside of the car as she watched the passing scenery.

 

******

 

Shiori came home late today.

She was out all day with her friends. I’m glad she can be out of that lonely house, if only for a moment longer.

Of course, I was with her the entire time.

The cafe she went to served crepes and parfaits. Shiori made the food look so delicious, her face was all scrunched up in delight.

I’m happy for her. She rarely gets to relax and let her true feelings show.

 

Shiori took out her mirror from her bag.

She stared into it, seeing only her own reflection.

I’m home Shiori.

The house was dark and empty. No one else was home aside from Shiori.

Well, I better start preparing dinner for you and father. Hopefully he gets home soon.

Shiori knew she’d probably leave a plate of food wrapped up on the table to be reheated later as usual, but she didn’t want Shiori to hear such things.

She always tried her to speak her best when Shiori was with her.

Shiori quietly ate dinner with the mirror beside her on the table.

She only had Shiori to keep her company in the lonely house.

Shiori went up to her room after eating to study, and whenever she was stuck on a problem, she’d consult Shiori about it.

Even if she couldn’t hear Shiori’s response, she usually managed to figure it out soon afterwards.

 

I’m concerned for Shiori.

Like just today for example, she knows all the answers to the questions, but always has to stop and ask me about them.

Of course, I know all the answers too.

Well, it comes as no surprise really. Shiori’s always been diligent, even if she refuses to admit it.

I know there’s no helping it if her dad doesn’t ever come home, but she still manages to keep the house running, even if she’s the only one who’s ever here.

But I wish she wouldn’t stay up so late at night. She still needs to get a good night’s sleep if she wants to grow!

 

Shiori was beginning to feel tired from all her studying. It was pretty late, but her father was still at work like usual. Knowing him, he probably volunteered for more overtime work again.

She sat down at her bed and stared into her mirror.

Goodnight, Shiori.

She gently whispered into the mirror before turning off the lights, and falling asleep.

 

I watched as Shiori’s breathing calmed.

Her sleeping face was so cute and angelic.

She looked so calm and relaxed.

“Goodnight, Shiori.”, I gently whispered back to her.

 

***

 

“Good morning, Shiori!”

A small girl jumped up and hug-tackled into Shiori.

“Watch out where you’re going, Yui.”

Shiori peeled the clingy girl off her waist.

“Aw, you’re no fun as usual.”

Yui’s attention turned to the next person coming into the class room.

“Good morning, Ayano!”

Yui ran up and jump-hugged another girl.

Unlike Shiori, Ayano hugged Yui right back, squeezing her tight and shaking her about.

“Ah, I just cannot get enough of this cuteness!”

Shiori was reminded of a hamster, considering Yui’s short, cute stature and hyper energetic personality.

“Good morning Hasebe-san.”

Shiori coolly greeted Ayano with a wave of her hand.

“Morning Shiori! I thought I said you could call me by my first name though?”

“I’ll think about it...” Was Shiori’s only response.

As Shiori walked over to her desk leaving the two to their antics, she passed by a girl sleeping face down on her desk. The girl groggily peeked her head up as Shiori passed her by and tugged on her sleeve.

“Good morning Shiori~”

She half yawned and half spoke as she greeted her seat neighbor.

Shiori gave a small sigh and replied back.

“Good morning, Okada-san. Could you let go of me now?”

“He he~ You shouldn’t be so tense all the time~”

“Versus what, being asleep all day like you? Seriously, school hasn’t even started yet and you’re already asleep?”

“He he~”

She gave a small, lackluster cheer.

“It’s nice to know you’re worried about me~”

“I’m not worried for you! It’d just be a bother if the person next to me was asleep all the time.”

Shiori turned around with an indignant sigh as she freed herself and sat down in the neighboring seat.

She was about to take her mirror out from her bag when she noticed a small annoyance coming straight towards her.

Unfortunately for her, Yui and Ayano were done playing around at the entrance of the classroom and were now headed her way.

“Good morning, Hitomi!”

Yui brightly greeted the still half-asleep Hitomi before turning to Shiori.

“The crepes we had yesterday were delicious, weren’t they?”

“Yeah, they were okay.”

“They were better than okay!”

“Delicious~”

Ayano and Hitomi both chimed in, finding Shiori’s nonchalant attitude to be dishonest.

“You should’ve seen your own face, Shiori! You looked so happy!”

“Well, I do admit that I enjoyed myself a bit, but definitely not as much as you say!”

Ayano chose that moment to chime in again.

“Really? Then what do these pictures I secretly took of you say?”

She showed a picture from her phone of a happily smiling Shiori to the group, a wide grin on her face.

“I thought you said you didn’t like to smile?”

Ayano teased Shiori some more.

Rather than lunging for the phone though as Ayano expected, Shiori just turned her face away, not wanting to show the others how red it was.

 

Hee hee, Shiori looks so cute with her friends. I’m glad she’s finally starting to open up to them.

When she first came to this school, she seemed so cold and distant. It probably didn’t help that everyone else was probably scared off by her dyed, brightly blond hair.

I think it makes her look quite pretty though, the way it glistens in the sunlight, swaying freely behind her back.

Yui was so nice to her though, when they first met each other.

Shiori was sitting alone under a tree eating lunch when Yui came flying in with her signature hugging tackle.

She was so surprised, she nearly dropped her food!

I could seen her coming from a mile away, but it’s not like I would’ve done anything about it though.

But anyways, since then, Yui been sitting and eating lunch with Shiori.

I’m really happy she’s finally started calling Yui by her first name.

She’ll come around sooner or later with the other two girls Yui introduced her to as well.

 

Shiori sat at her desk, staring into her mirror.

She quietly whispered so that only Shiori would hear her.

We have a test today, Shiori. Thanks to you helping me last night, I know I’ll be fine.

Shiori carefully put her mirror back into her bag.

She turned around to see someone staring straight at her.

“Oh, hello Akiyama-san.”

Shiori politely greeted the class rep.

She lightly sighed in response.

“How is it you’re able to get such good grades, Hayami-san? All I ever see you doing is staring into that mirror of yours. Not to mention with your blond hair, I thought you were just a troublemaker at first.”

“That’s because Shiori’s really nice and smart, Saya!”

Yui piped up from behind, startling Saya.

“Ahem, Nakamura-san shouldn’t go around popping up from behind people like that. And besides, she doesn’t look like the type to study at all. But just how did she manage to score higher than me!?”

Saya had a look of extreme vexation on her face as she recalled their scores on the last test. She turned around to see Shiori’s head facing away from them.

“Shiori’s really weak to compliments you know. She’s probably blushing right now.”

“I’d like to think she’s grinning rather wickedly instead.”

Saya turned around with a huff, leaving Yui and Shiori. The two turned towards each other and had a light hearted laugh together.

 

Yup, Shiori is really smart.

She nearly got a perfect score on the last test, you know?

That other girl doesn’t stand a chance against my Shiori.

But I can tell she’s a good girl at heart. She’ll make an excellent rival for her. I’ve heard that people need to have others to compete with to grow.

Oh, it looks like she’s starting the test now. Let’s see...

Yup! Looks like I know almost all of these.

Shiori will do just fine.

 

***

 

“So how’d you do on the test?”

“Fine. How’d you do Yui?”

Yui proudly showed off her test to Shiori.

“I passed!”

Shiori stared blankly at the paper held in front of her.

“Barely.”

Yui tilted her head cutely.

“Huh?”

“A few more questions wrong and you’d have failed!”

Shiori sighed out in exasperation.

Yui was unperturbed in the slightest by her score.

“It’s still a pass, right? Where’s your paper?”

Shiori had her exam paper turned face down on her desk.

“Show me!”

Ayano had sneaked up from behind Shiori and snatched the paper off her desk. Her jaw dropped as she stared at it in shock.

“I- I can’t believe it! You got a ninety seven!? I thought you were dumb like the rest of us.”

Yui spoke up at that moment.

“I told you Shiori was smart! I always see her studying by herself in the library!”

Hitomi also chimed in, showing her score to her friends, with her body slumped over her desk.

“I passed too~”

Ayano looked at Hitomi’s paper and soon spouted another expression of disbelief.

“How’d you get an eighty five! Not to mention you’re always sleeping in class anyways! How come I’m the only one who did badly!?”

“I sleep learn~”

“Not helping!”

Ayano snuggled up to Yui demanding to be comforted.

“There, there.”

Yui obliged with her antics and petted Ayano’s head.

“We can all go studying together, right? Let’s stay over at my place next time we have to study!”

“Okay~”

Hitomi, already falling back asleep answered with half a yawn.

Shiori on the other hand looked a bit apprehensive about the possibility of staying over at Yui’s house, but thanks to the constant pestering by Ayano for help, she eventually caved and agreed to the idea.

 

Shiori’s finally going to be staying over at a friend’s house!

I’m so happy for her. Having friends to talk to is a great thing.

Little by little, she’s slowly starting to open up to her friends. They’re all really kind to Shiori.

I’m still here with her, of course.

Though I wish she could fall asleep without saying goodnight to me every night.

But I guess she still needs time.

I wish I could be there for her.

I wish I could comfort her, talk to her, listen to her troubles and fears.

But I know I can’t.

All I can do is look back at her when she looks into the mirror.

“Goodnight, Shiori. I love you.”

 

***

 

Shiori had a dream about the past.

She dreamed about her mother. She missed her every day.

She was little again, hugging her mother in her arms, tears softly rolling down her cheeks. It was a dream, and she thought it’d be okay to cry a little.

She looked up at her mother’s hazy, dreamlike silhouette.

“I’m sorry mother. It’s all my fault.”

Her mother comforted Shiori, holding her small body close to her own. She gently patted Shiori’s head.

Shiori looked up. She could faintly see her mother’s lips moving, but couldn’t make out the words she was saying. She stared blankly at her mother.

She could see her mother was trying to tell her something, but couldn’t hear a word she said.

The bright, yet hazy world of the dream soon faded away, replaced by an inky blackness.

 

Good morning, Shiori. I had that dream again.

Shiori stared at the mirror sitting beside her on the nightstand, her head still a bit foggy from having just woken up.

She saw the image of her reflection staring back at her. Shiori was with her, just as she always was.

Comforted by the fact, Shiori sat up from bed and checked the time. It was still quite early in the morning. Figuring she’d have trouble falling back asleep, she got up and changed into her school uniform. She then walked downstairs to the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

As usual, the door to her father’s room was left open. Shiori assumed maybe he had already left, or maybe he hadn’t even come home the previous night. Usually it was either one or the other.

Shiori quickly ate her breakfast and packed up a bento for school before leaving the house. She didn’t really want to have to wait there until the usual time she left for school.

The first rays of sunlight were just barely peeking over the horizon as she walked down her familiar route to the school. The world looked different with the early morning mist covering the landscape. She took her time, appreciating the serenity of it all. It was a different kind of quiet than she was used to hearing. The silence in her house didn’t contain the sounds of birds chirping, or of the nearby river slowly churning along the banks. She could hear the wind rustling gently through the branches of nearby trees.

She faintly smiled to herself, hoping that maybe she’d be able to forget all about the dream she had.

 

***

 

Shiori looks like she’s cold.

She’s all bundled up, wearing a thick coat over her uniform, and I can’t believe she’s still walking to school in this weather.

Her coat and scarf and mittens all look so very nice on her, though.

 

“Good morning, Shiori! Happy New Year’s!”

Yui came running up to Shiori and jumped up into her arms.

“I’m so happy to see you again!”

Yui squeezed Shiori even tighter.

“It’s good to see you too, Yui.”

Shiori smiled gently in response to Yui’s passionate bear hug.

It had been some time since the last she had experienced such an energetic morning like this. In a way, she was glad the school break was over, even if she didn’t show it on her face.

“Yui! I missed you so much!”

Ayano came running up to them, her arms spread wide open as she called out Yui’s name. She ran up to Yui, who was still clinging onto Shiori, and embraced the both of them in a big group hug.

“I missed you too, Shiori!”

Ayano quickly added in that last part.

“Good morning to you too... Ayano-san.”

Shiori could only manage a wry expression on her face as she struggled to free herself.

She thought to herself that maybe she wasn’t so fond of such hectic mornings after all.

 

It’s really fun to see Shiori enjoying herself with her friends. She was so lonely during the break, after all.

She’d only talk to me the entire time, and while I’d be all too happy to be there with her if I could, what she really needs is to spend more time with other people. Maybe the next time there’s a break, she could spend it going outside with her friends instead of staying cooped up in the house studying all day.

 

Shiori was finally released from Ayano and Yui’s grasp, but only because class would start soon and they had to get to their seats.

She found herself looking over at the desk next to hers. As usual, Hitomi was slouched over the top of her desk with her eyes closed.

She opened them slightly, noticing Shiori’s stare, and smiled a sleepy smile at her.

“Good night, Shiori~”

“You mean good morning. And yes, it’s nice to see you too as well, Hitomi-san.”

Hitomi just giggled at Shiori’s curt behavior before nodding off again.

 

I’m glad to see Shiori finally starting to open up to others.

In fact, she’s even started calling her friends by their first names!

I’m so proud of her.

But she still speaks way too stiffly with them. It’d be nice if she learned to relax a bit more, you know?

 

Shiori discretely opened up her bag and pulled out her mirror in the short break between classes.

Shiori, did you see me? I’m using their first names now. I’d have never been able to do that before, at least not without your help.

The expression reflecting off the mirror was one of pure joy.

 

***

 

Shiori immediately reached for the small hand mirror on the nightstand beside her as soon as she woke up. She clutched it tightly to her chest and stared into it with a slightly panicked expression.

I saw you in my dream, Shiori.

Shiori paused a moment to breathe and recollect herself.

No, I suppose I saw mother? She looked just like you. It wasn’t like the other dreams I’ve had. It felt like I could see her much more clearly than before.

Shiori saw in her reflection that she had tears gently running down the side of her face. She hastily wiped her eyes using her sleeve.

I’m sorry Shiori. I don’t know what to do right now. I know I’m not thinking straight, but I just wish I could be rid of this sort of feeling.

Shiori soon stopped crying into the small mirror after a moment or two.

She got up out of bed, and walked over to her desk, pulling out a notebook at random from the cabinet before sitting down. She carefully opened up the notebook and began to fill its empty pages with words.

 

I could only look on bitterly at Shiori’s pained expression as she told me about the dream she had. I could do nothing for her but offer up my unspoken yet heartfelt love.

I tried to speak to her, to comfort her, but I knew it wouldn’t help.

My words could only fall on deaf ears.

 

***

 

A new school year was starting. Shiori was happy to find out that she was once again in the same class as all her friends.

“Yay, we’re sitting near each other!”

Shiori found herself in the seat right in front of Yui, who wore an excited expression on her face.

Unlike Yui though, Ayano had a miserable expression as she stared at them in envy from the other side of the classroom.

“I wanted to be with Yui, too...”

Ayano muttered under her breath, only for a sleepy voice to chime in beside her.

“I’m sitting over there too~”

Hitomi walked past Ayano’s desk and across the classroom before falling asleep at the desk next to Yui’s.

Ayano’s weary voice could only cry out in despair.

 

Shiori’s been looking happier lately.

She’s finally back in school with all her friends to talk to. I was worried she’d spend all her time cooped up studying like last year, but now it seems like she’s been enjoying herself more.

It’s been really fun seeing all the places they went to.

I’m so glad I’ve been getting to see Shiori smile more often.

I just wish she would realize for herself that it’s okay for her to be happy.

 

Shiori came home late, after finally fulfilling a long overdue promise with her friends to visit the local amusement park.

She recalled Yui’s shocked expression when she told her that she’d never been there before. Yui had insisted that they go there, all the four of them together, and after a few weeks of making up excuses to not go, Shiori found herself practically dragged away from her house by Yui and the others. Looking back on it now, it seemed so silly how she kept on refusing to go with them.

Shiori unlocked the door to the house and stepped into the entryway. Immediately she noticed the pair of shoes laying on the floor of the entrance.

She took off her own shoes and sneakily rushed over to the living room.

Shiori saw her father by the altar. This was the first time she had actually seen him in weeks. He was usually always at work and rarely came home at a reasonable time.

She could see him talking to her mother’s portrait. He just sat there as if in a daze, continuing to talk to her.

Shiori didn’t know what she had expected. Even after all these years, her father still hadn’t come to terms with his wife’s untimely passing. She was certain that he blamed her for it, even if he never said anything about it.

Shiori tore her eyes away from the scene in the living room and walked over to the kitchen. She made a small dinner for the both of them, but quickly ate up her own portion, leaving her father’s on the stovetop for him to eat later.

She passed him in the hall as she went upstairs to her room. He didn’t say anything and left with his head bowed down. Shiori thought he was looking older and more frail every time she saw him, but she ended up not saying anything as she quickly walked past him.

As she dejectedly closed the door to her room, Shiori took out the mirror from her bag.

I’m sorry Shiori. I’m sorry. It’s all my fault father is like that, isn’t it?”

Shiori felt like she was crying, but no tears came out.

Why can’t father speak to me! All he ever does when he’s home is speak to mother! Why does he act that way!”

She felt frustrated and tired from her outburst. She crawled into bed and fell asleep, hoping to forget about everything that had happened.

Please Shiori, tell me why...” Shiori muttered from beneath the covers, despite knowing there were no answers.

 

I’m useless.

I can’t do anything for her. I had thought that it’d be okay to just be always by her side. That it’d be fine if I could just silently comfort her from nearby.

I wish I could do more for her, at least to tell her that everything will be alright. But I can’t. Because she herself doesn’t know if anything will be alright.

I know she can’t hear me, but still I gently whisper to her, hoping she can at least get a peaceful night’s sleep.

“I love you, Shiori.”

I looked at her from the mirror.

“I’ll keep waiting for you until you can do the same for yourself.”

 

***

 

The first term of the school year was about halfway through and the rainy season was starting to come along.

Shiori could see grey clouds forming in the late afternoon sky as she looked out the window of the classroom.

“Hey, Shiori!”

Yui called out to Shiori, waving her arms up in the air causing Shiori to turn away from the window to face her. Yui noticed how she had a slight smile on her face, most likely from the good news she had received just earlier.

“How come you never told me anything?”

Yui asked, her eyes full of curiosity.

“I just found out myself, yesterday.”

Yui interrupted Shiori before she could continue.

“I don’t mean that! I mean about the novel you wrote! You should’ve told me you were doing something fun like that sooner!”

Shiori just giggled , trying to downplay herself.

“It really wasn’t anything, Yui.”

Ayano and Hitomi entered the classroom carrying snacks and drinks. Well, it was mostly Ayano carrying everything. She dumped a bag full of food on a nearby desk, while Hitomi only carried a single can of juice.

The four of them were in the classroom after school, to celebrate the award Shiori had won. It was just a minor award, but it was still quite the accomplishment nonetheless. Shiori’s friends had been surprised, but they went with the flow and held a small, impromptu celebration in the classroom, much to Shiori’s initial protests.

“But still! That means some editor or someone thought it was good, right? Right!?”

Ayano excitedly shook Shiori by the shoulders. Hitomi on the other hand simply sat slouched over at her desk, watching Shiori’s head bob back and forth from Ayano’s shaking.

“Sooo, when can we read it?”

Yui had managed to calm down some after her initial excitement and asked the question weighing on everybody’s minds. Ayano stopped shaking Shiori in order to let her answer the question. Finally freed from Ayano’s grasp, Shiori took a moment for her dizziness to go away. She looked at her friends with a faint smile.

“The company said they’d start publishing it in about a week or so.”

“So, do you think you can get us all a free copy?”

Ayano shamelessly asked Shiori only to be pulled away by both Yui and Hitomi.

Shiori could only laugh at her friends’ antics.

 

I looked over at Shiori. She looked like she was having fun. Her face was laughing and smiling away. It seemed like she’d been having less self doubts about herself lately.

I’m glad she has her friends there to help her.

I’m really, really happy right now.

 

Guess what, Shiori?

Shiori immediately took out her mirror from her bag on the way home from school. She could see the clouds growing darker in the distant sky. It looked like it might start raining soon.

She turned back to the mirror.

My book won something. I won something. That’s good, isn’t it?

Without waiting for an answer, Shiori put the mirror away and hurried back home just in case it began to rain.

 

***

 

“I really enjoyed your novel!”

A boy was bowing in front of Shiori with his hands outstretched, a small book clasped firmly between them.

Shiori was flustered by the sudden event and could only give a hesitant murmur in response. As far as she knew, she had never met this person before in her life. The two of them stood there in silence, neither knowing what to say to the other. Thankfully, they didn’t have to wait that way for too long.

Yui popped up from behind Shiori, beaming like a ray of sunshine.

“Hello, Kouta-kun!”

Yui called out to the boy, breaking up the awkward silence.

The boy stood upright after hearing her words. Now that she could see him properly, Shiori noticed the thick rimmed glasses on his face. He looked to be of an average build, if not a little on the short side. She could only think that he looked very plain and rather unremarkable.

 “Good morning to you too, Nakamura-san...”

He quietly responded to Yui’s greeting but faltered towards the end, not knowing what else to say.

Seeing as he wasn’t going to be saying anything else, Yui introduced him to Shiori in his place.

“This is Shinozaki Kouta! He’s in the same class as us, you know? He sits two rows behind Ayano.”

“Oh, I’m sorry for not recognizing you sooner, Shinozaki-kun.”

Shiori politely greeted Kouta with a short bow now that she finally knew his name. Yui then turned towards Kouta.

“So!” She declared pointing straight at him. “You liked Shiori’s book too, right?”

“Ah! Y-yes. I thought that your novel, “Constriction” was really good! My grandpa showed it to me at his store! He said he enjoyed it too!”

As if a stopper had been undone, Kouta continued to ramble on and on about everything he thought was good about Shiori’s novel.

Yui could see Shiori’s ears begin to redden and quietly laughed to herself.

 

***

 

Shiori was dreaming.

The scene was so vivid this time. She could feel the wind bushing the side of her face, coming in through the open window. She looked up towards her mother, sitting in the driver’s seat of the car. Shiori called out to her. Her mother smiled back at the young Shiori and waved.

Shiori looked on at the scene in despair. She knew what was about to happen next. She tried to avert her eyes, but she found she couldn’t move her body.

Shiori’s small body suddenly jerked forward, stopped only by the seatbelt, and her vision went black.

When she next opened her eyes, she could feel her body was suspended sideways in the air. She looked around in a panic, and saw that she was inside the car. She turned her head to the front of the car with a hollow gaze in her eyes. She could see her mother’s face looking back at her from the reflection of the car’s front mirror. Shiori saw a look of relief pass over her mother’s face upon seeing that she was safe.

Shiori heard her mother say something. She could see her lips moving in the reflection. But she was still too lightheaded to clearly make out what she had said. She tried to call out to her mother, but no words would come out of her mouth.

She felt the scene darken and fade as she felt herself falling through a void. She tried to scream out, reaching out for the image of her mother, but soon, all she could see was darkness all around her.

 

I saw her dream.

I’ve seen it many times, and I know what her mom said.

She called out her name.

“Shiori.”

And I know how she answered her back as she stared into her reflection.

Shiori.

 

******

 

Shiori’s stuck.

She keeps telling me she can’t think of anything.

I think she just needs a change of pace, though.

She’s been doing this for a few years now. She should know she can’t expect to be able to pump out ideas at the drop of a hat.

Honestly, shouldn’t she try doing something else for once? Like maybe going outside?

She stays cooped up inside all day long, just sitting at her desk. I don’t want to sound all nagging, but she needs more exercise! More sunlight!

Oh, I know! Her friends invited her to go out just the other day!

She certainly hasn’t seen them in a while.

 

Shiori checked her clothes in front of the mirror one last time.

She had chosen to wear a casual outfit and had her hair tied back in a long ponytail.

She could feel slight jitters coming from her stomach. It had been what, maybe a year since the last she had seen everyone? She lightly slapped her face with her hands to try to psyche herself up and left the small studio apartment where she now lived.

Before leaving, she waved back at her reflection.

Bye, Shiori. I’ll be back later!

She then made sure to firmly lock up the door and left for the train station.

Shiori was looking forward to seeing everyone again. She boarded the train car, thinking of how Yui had called her earlier that week to suggest a restaurant near her place. According to her, the food there was delicious. Shiori continued thinking about what kind of food the restaurant would serve as she sat in the swaying carriage of the train. She was full of anticipation by the time she arrived at her stop.

When she exited the station, Shiori was surprised to see Yui waiting for her outside, but had recognized her instantly. Yui didn’t appear to have changed one bit, height included.

Shiori tentatively waved at her, to which Yui responded with her face brightening up instantly and running over with her arms outstretched.

“Shiori!”

Yui cried out as she jumped in for a hug.

“I almost didn’t recognize you! You changed your hair!”

She immediately pointed out Shiori’s black hair, a stark contrast between the light blond she previously had back in school.

Shiori could only give a wry grin at Yui’s reaction.

“Well, it’s been a while since I stopped dyeing it. But you don’t look like you’ve changed at all, Yui.”

“Wrong! I’ve grown one centimeter taller since the last we met!”

Yui proudly boasted of her newfound height with her hands on her hips and her chest sticking out.

After a moment of silence, they both ended up having a big laugh about it as they made their way to the restaurant.

 

See, I knew she’d have fun!

Heh, just wait until she shows off her hair to everyone else! I bet they’ll all be shocked!

But I was so glad when she stopped dyeing her hair. Now we match perfectly!

Well, I’ve always remained the same, for that matter. But its not like she ever wanted me to change, though.

Shiori’s perfect just the way she is, too.

 

When Shiori entered the restaurant, she saw some familiar faces, but also a few she didn’t recognize all seated together at the same table. Her face stiffened up momentarily and she took a short breath to regain her nerve. Hoping that no one had noticed, she followed Yui and sat down across from Hitomi.

It was easy recognizing her as she was the only one asleep at the table after all. Seeing her like this allowed Shiori to relax a little. It made her think that some things would never change. Hitomi lifted her head up slightly and gave an apathetic wave to Shiori.

“Hello~”

“Long time no see!”

Ayano on the other hand waved wildly from the other side of the table, her cheeks already flushed and a bottle of sake in her hand.

Yui apologized to Shiori.

“Sorry, we already started a bit early.”

“No, that’s okay.”

Shiori giggled a little.

“I didn’t realize Ayano was such a drinker.”

“Well, she’s just stressed that she still hasn’t found a job yet. But anyways...”

Yui paused as if for dramatic effect.

“I also invited a bunch of our other classmates!”

She gestured to all the others gathered at the table. Naturally, they were all chatting away in their own small groups.

Now that Shiori had a closer look, she realized that there weren’t too many others at the table, and at the other end she thought she saw another familiar face.

“Saya’s here too?”

“Yeah, I invited her too! And Kouta and all their old friends too!”

Shiori turned her head as Yui gestured to each of them in turn. With so many more people, the atmosphere was much more energetic than what Shiori had been expecting. She looked over at her old acquaintances and shyly waved at them. They warmly greeted her back and then continued on with their previous conversations with each other.

Yui pulled on Shiori’s sleeve, seeing that she was finished and pushed a plate of food in front of her.

“Come on, eat up! I ordered this just for you!”

Shiori thanked her before taking a small, tentative bite. To her amazement, it was delicious. Even better than the way Yui had described it.

Yui had a carefree smile on her face as she watched Shiori happily eat her meal. She glanced over the rest of the table, her gaze stopping just briefly on Kouta. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. She was glad to have gotten everyone to meet up with each other.

 

It looks delicious.

Really, really delicious.

But it’s enough just to see Shiori’s smiling face.

I’d still like to try some though if I could.

 

As the meal neared its inevitable conclusion, a few people began to get up to go, leaving behind their share of the bill. It was getting late and most people still had things they needed to do the next day.

Shiori waved goodbye as Hitomi sluggishly carried out the nearly passed out Ayano. As they left, Kouta walked up to Shiori.

She noticed he held a book in his hand and he held it up to show it to her.

“U-um, long time no see, Hayami-san.”

He stammered a bit and looked somewhat bashful.

“I-I really enjoyed your latest work.”

“Oh, um, I’m glad you enjoyed it...”

Shiori looked away, seemingly just as embarrassed as he was.

They both stared away from each other a few moments before Kouta cleared his throat. Having worked up his confidence, Kouta asked Shiori to meet him outside. Shiori glanced back towards Yui, but she seemed busy dealing with the bill. Not knowing what to do, she followed him.

Shiori found Kouta waiting outside, standing stiffly with his back straight and his arms at his sides.

“I-I really like you, Hayami-san!”

He meekly shouted out.

“I-I’ve liked you from even before I read your very first novel!”

Shiori was stunned and at a loss for words. She thought something was wrong.

“...Me?

She hesitantly asked as she weakly pointed at herself.

“...Why me?”

She didn’t know what else to say. A moment or two passed in silence. Unable to bear it any longer, Shiori quickly apologized to Kouta and turned around, leaving him without a clear answer.

 

***

 

Shiori needs another break.

Ever since that day she been mumbling to herself. Well to me, really.

Does she not believe me yet?

I tell her every day that she’s lovely. That she’s beautiful, kind, and sweet.

But she never hears me.

 

Shiori stared out the window of the moving train, quietly watching the passing scenery.

She tried to relax her mind by clearing her thoughts, but her mind drifted to thoughts of her destination instead. She had abruptly decided to visit her old home up in Niigata, and had told Yui about the trip, just in case. She still held a lot of old memories of the place where she had grown up. But now that she was actually on the long ride up from Tokyo, she wondered just why she had decided to go there of all places.

She stared at her reflection in the mirror.

Do you know why I’m going there?

She didn’t hear an answer to her question.

 

I’ve never seen the sea before.

It’s calming, watching the waves as they rush up to the shore.

I feel sleepy...

 

Shiori stood looking out over the sea. The sand shifted beneath her feet as she made her way closer to the water. She could hear the gentle crashing of the waves along the shore. She looked up at the reddish sky. She couldn’t remember the last time she had seen the sun set over the sea.

It was much more beautiful than she remembered it being.

She thought back to the times when she had come out here with her family. She and her mother would race each other across the sands down to the water, while her father would look on with a gentle smile as he set up an umbrella nearby. She had almost forgotten just how happy she had before. She thought back to many other old memories of hers, thinking of all the happy moments she had enjoyed with her mother and father by her side and she realized something.

She hadn’t been happy. Rather, she hadn’t allowed herself to be happy in a long time. Shiori stared out over the water, breathing in the refreshing sea air. She reminisced about her past memories, including her more recent ones. She thought that maybe she should face her friends properly for once instead of the passive way she had been before. She sighed, feeling confused and unsure of what to do.

She stared out into the ocean, letting the sound of the waves wash over her. Her heart felt lightened for the first time since she could remember.

Shiori took out her mirror and remembered the day she had received it from her mother. It was the last gift her mother had ever given to her.

She held it up facing away from the sea, causing the reddish brown color of the dusk sky to be reflected back in the mirror. The way her reflection looked in the sunset lighting reminded her of an old photograph of her mother she had seen before and she felt her heart stir in a way she couldn’t fully understand, but knew something had changed inside of her.

Shiori felt that now she could truly see herself in a way she hadn’t been able to before. She looked out over the water once more before returning her gaze to the mirror.

You’ve always been here with me all this time, haven’t you? Thank you for having been with me all these years. I think I’ll try to move forward now.

Shiori thought she heard a familiar voice, whispered in the passing breeze.

She heard it clearly this time and responded with her own voice.

“I love you. And, I think I’ll try to believe in myself too.”

 

“Goodnight, Shiori. I love you too.”

4