Chapter 3- The Princess
261 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vanessa's POV

Boring 

That's how i would describe my school life so far, boring. Ever since i was young I've been regarded as a prodigy, given the best education and training available to the royal family. I've excelled in both my studies and in my swordsmanship and everyone praised me. I'm not going to say it was lonely, i did have genuine friends and my maids are people I'd treat as family. I just wished for something to grab my attention, something i had to work hard and struggle to obtain, maybe even someone who could make my heart flutter perhaps. 

Ever since i was born i had the ability to see the flow of photons, i could tell how things worked, it was as if i could see the flow of electricity in an old smart phone. I could even see the photons inside of people, a regular person was like a dim and small light, while someone who could channel it was bright, every person was different and most weren't interesting. Except for my mother, she had a shine that fascinated me, it was the largest and brightest i ever saw, well until today that is. 

There was a boy who sat next to me, he was... Well mediocre, he looked plain, had no personality and it seem that he would just disappear if i didn't pay attention. One day he had a rather terrible run in the class bully, or rather delinquent would probably fit better, suffice to say he had a concussion and lost consciousness. I didn't really care about him since while he did have a rather large light it as dim, so dim i wouldn't have realised he had potential unless i looked closer. The next day however he came in class completely different, his hair and eye colour were changed, his face went from plain to as perfect as humanly possible even while his facial structure still was the same. I wouldn't have recognised him if it wasn't for his light, it was as bright as the sun. It nearly blinded me at first but now i couldn't help but stare, it was the first time i ever saw someone who shone brighter than my mother. 

He had an air of swagger and cockyness that while off putting was eye catching, i couldn't believe that plain kid next to me became that confident renegade overnight. He easily accepted the duel that Kyle challenged him to. I went to the duel arena to watch and when i saw him pull out his sword my eyes widened, i didn't see where it came from. I'm usually able to see where the storage device is based on the flow of mana, but all i see is its coming from him, as if he himself is the storage. He was so confident that he wielded the sword with his left hand, taunting Kyle and letting him have the first move. 

The fight was one sided, and even then that would be an understatement. He easily beat Kyle in physical strength and parried and repelled his attacks with ease. Eventually he looked bored then slashed Kyle's club in half, something I've never seen done to a photon weapon before. After knocking him out he simply left the arena. 

During class i snuck glances and stares at him, I'm sure he noticed but i couldn't help it, it finally seems I've found someone who was a bit interesting. So i decided to ask him for a duel the next day. 

The next day when he came to class i got up and walked towards him, the entire class whispering about my motives. He looked me in the eyes and asked. 

-What is it your highness? 

-If i may, would you mind if i asked you for a duel? 

-Sure, I'd be happy to face off against a princess. 

He answered with full confidence as i expected. I wonder if he'll still have that when we fight? During lunch break we left for the arena with many people watching in anticipation, i drew the royal family prime treasure "Excalibur" one of the earliest photon based weapons that over the generations been optimized and enhanced becoming one of the most powerful blades in the world. Its design is a simple two sided blade similar to what legends described king Arthur's sword but with a blade made of light. Finally he draws his blade, i still see the flow of photons come directly from him, his sword looks to be a single straight blade with the tip being curved towards him, the hilt is angled in the shape of a golden angel wing. The whole sword seems angelic and graceful, i wonder how Excalibur will fair? 

-Well then Princess, who goes first? 

-I wouldn't mind if you did. 

-Very well then Princess, I'll take the lead. 

He dashes towards me in a blink of an eye, i barely managed to react by parrying his strike though not without my hands starting to go numb. Just one hit. One. And he managed to make my hands start to numb. I have to take this fight to him, i start with using Excalibur's secondary function. I point the blade at him and fire a strike of lightning at him, he shouldn't be able to dodge or block it and it'll even the odds by paralysing him temporarily. To my shock he reacts by blocking the lightning with his sword. 

-Not bad Princess, let me return the favour. 

I feel a shiver down my spine and i roll to the side, it was a good decision since he slashed from the ground up launching a lighting wave back at me. I barely avoided the attack, that was dangerous. Since he's able to counter that I should close the distance. Just as i put that plan in motion he rushes me again, i barely manage to parry the hit. I decide to take advantage of the split second he backed off to go on the offensive. 

I strike fast and strike hard and yet he still maintains a calm expression. He perfectly predicts my attacks and counters it at the last second. This exchange continues for 20 seconds before i back off. 

-Show me. 

-Show you what Princess? 

-You're holding back, I know it. Show me your full power! 

I yell at him, i know he's holding back, i wanna see his full might. For the first time in my life i found something to struggle and work towards. I want see my goal. I want to see how far i have to reach. 

-Hmm. 

He has a pondering look on his face. I wonder if he'll actually show me. 

-Very well then. 

He stabs the ground and holds the grip with both hands. 

-Imperial decree, fifth prince. 

A massive pressure descended on the arena, in a desperate attempt to stop my self falling on my knees i use Excalibur as a way to hold my self up. From the way the audience looks it seems the pressure is only affecting me. Suddenly the pressure disappears and i completely fell to my knees. I see him walk up to me and offer a hand to help me up to my feet. I take it and he pulls me up to my feet. 

-My apologies princess, i should've warned you before i did that. 

-I.. Its fine, i wanted you to show me anyway. Uhm how about an afternoon tea after class? 

-Sure, its not often you'd get the chance to drink tea with royalty. 

-Wonderful, I'll tell the guard to let you in later then. 

I watch him leave the arena while i stare at his back, his light still so bright as if he hadn't just wiped the floor with me. 

note to self: family meetings are not conducive to a good writing time. Hopefully the larger chapter size will compensate

 

10