Chapter 9 – Negotiations
172 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Things are getting interesting, GRM would certainly be interested in acquiring the patent and ownership over my design. While I'm sure I'd be paid handsomely for it i have no need of cash right now so they'll have to pry it from cold dead hands. I've spent the past few days with Claire finishing the design and now we're working on the prototype, a gun with ability to fire either a bolt of lightning or spew flames like a flamethrower. We've used parts from multiple weapons to actually build it since the 3D printers in the R&D department are being used by other teams and Claire and i agreed we should keep it secret till its complete. Wouldn't want spies from any nation or corporation to harass us. 

Now Claire and i are in the testing range test firing the prototype gun. 

-So do you want to fire it first? 

-I think you should have the honors. 

-Thank you Claire. 

I shoulder the gun and aim at the target around 50 meters away. I squeeze the trigger and. 

BANG! 

Target hit. I fire it a few times to ensure it works before swapping to the lightning mode. 

-Let's see if this works. 

BOOM! 

A lightning bolt hits the target, i start checking for any issues with the reactor or any of the other parts. So far so good so i swap to the third mode, the flamethrower. 

-Third times the charm. 

A spray of high temperature plasma spews out from the end of the barrel and scorch the walls and floor of the testing range. 

-Oh shit! I think we set the temperature up too high. 

-Looks like it, are there any issues? 

-Looks like it's okay, though the barrel is a bit scorched but that shouldn't be a problem if we lower the temperature. 

-Should we continue testing? 

-Nah, let's do some repairs and fix the temperature issue. 

-Okay then. 

We head back to the lab and start working on flamethrower function, i say flame since the plasma burst wasn't intentional. If we wanted the plasma we would need much better materials for the barrel and furniture to withstand the heat. After a half hour of working on the prototype we return to testing range and try again. This time instead of plasma flames came out. It looks like it works. 

-Yay! We did it! 

-we sure did, but now comes the hard part. 

-Huh? 

-The patents and legal documents, Countries and companies are going to scram to get their hands on the design. 

-Oh... So what do we do? 

-Let me handle it, i have a plan. 

-O-okay then. 

I store the prototype and blueprints in my storage and we leave the laboratory. Claire and I go our separate ways. As i walk through the Academy grounds i get a call from Epsilon. 

-Sir, we're all set for the plan. 

-Good. All that's left to do is wait for the fish to bite. 

I file the patent and other documents into the UN catalogue of patents. Since the design was made on Academy grounds and by Academy students the patent goes under UN jurisdiction which applies to every country. I expect copy cats but since the patent is only theoretical they'll have to figure out how to actually design and build it, and if they want to be legally distinct it'll take them even longer. I wonder how the world will react to this. 

The next day i open my mail inbox to see it flooded with emails, all from companies asking to meet me and negotiate for the either purchase of the patent or at the very least royalties to use it for their own use. Of course I'll just let Epsilon handle it. As i walk to class i see Claire run up to me. 

-Rezan! 

-huh? What is it? Calm down. 

-My uh... Mother wants to see you. 

-I see, what time? 

-uh.. Here she gave a letter to give you. 

-Thanks. 

I read through the letter, the meeting point is a hotel in the city and the meeting time will be in the evening. Looks like they're trying to lure me in the lions den. Unfortunately for them they invited a dragon. 

The rest of the day was business as usual till after class i leave and head to the hotel when a black limousine rolls up and the door opens, i see Claire and a brunette sitting inside. The driver comes out and tells me to get in. I oblige and sit across from Claire and the Brunette. She looks at me before opening her mouth. 

-Let me introduce mys-

-Your professor Winthrop aren't you? 

-Yes, looks like you did your homework. 

-I did more than just homework but let's leave it at that shall we? 

Sasha's POV 

I had Claire invite the boy who she help develop the compact reactor. I'm curious what kind of character he has, from what Claire told me he's managed to keep up with her erratic thought patterns and other personality quirks. Now that he's sitting across me with air of confidence that makes me wonder if he's stupid or actually has a plan. After our short introduction we arrived at the hotel and ride the elevator to the meeting room, the most luxurious suite in the building. 

There's a table with three chairs on each side and a large screen at the end. Looks like the board of directors aren't sending a representative and want to negotiate this themselves, they're that serious about this deal. I seat down on the seat diagonal from the screen and Claire does the same. The boy will have to face the screen himself. As we sit the screen switches on and shadowy figures appear, the board really do like their scare tactics. The mechanical voice speaks out to the boy. 

-25 million. 

-25 million? Pathetic, i want 20% share in the company. 

-Denied, accept the cash. 

-Really? What if i don't? 

-You won't be able to sell it to anyone but us. 

-I know that much, you'll buy or bankrupt anyone who buys this, but are you really willing to let this go? Also that smug attitude is really something you shouldn't have right now. What would your illegitimate son in kansas think Mr. Anderson? Or what of your mistress Mr. Clarke? I wonder what the media would think of your drug addiction and frequent orgies Ms. Rachel? I have plenty more to say but I'll let you think about it. 

The room goes dead silent, this boy managed to get his hands on the dirty secrets of the directors. How did he. No, that's not important, well that explains his confidence earlier. How will the board will react? 

-..... Fine, we shall accept your terms. 

-Wait, i also want a seat on the board. 

-.... 

-Unless you want me to spill the beans on your little dungeon Sir Scott? 

-.... Very well, welcome Director Rezan. 

-Thank you, pleasure doing business with you. 

He managed to out play the directors, now that's impressive. I walk up to him. 

-I guess your my superior now aren't you. 

-I guess i am. 

-So i guess I'll have to hand you my report on Claire, but i guess you already know that. 

-Yup, i already have access to every database GRM has. 

-That's how you knew the directors secrets. 

-Exactly, i plan to some rather drastic things to the company. If you stay out the way I'll make sure your research goes on without issue. 

-Thank you director. I believe this will be the start to a fruitful relationship. 

I see him leave the suite and when i look out the door he's already disappeared. Looks like Claire has caught quite a troublemaker. I wonder what he'll do next. 

8