Chapter 17 – Vanessa’s Turn
99 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After my match i walked down the halls to the festival where all the stalls are. I think back to my match and reflect on a few points, my advantage is in experience and stamina. Normally I'd also have the firepower advantage but since we're not killing each other so that's a mute point. I'll be caught off guard if my opponent has a gimmick up their sleeve, while i can react fast enough they're probably gonna het at least get a single good hit in which could put me on the back foot. 

I continue pondering over this and coming up with ideas. This tournament is a good opportunity to show off so i best make the most of it. How about this? Next match i play flawlessly, no hits received and completely dominating my opponent. That should make a good spectacle. Now, what about Vanessa? Her match will be coming up soon but i doubt she'll have any issues with it, i won't see anything new but I'll still cheer her on. As i walked i met someone familiar, Claire. 

-Oh hello Claire. 

-Hi Rezan. 

-What are you doing here? 

-I was on my way to the festival, i wanted to try out the new food stalls that opened. 

-Can i come with? 

-Sure.. 

-C'mon let's go, I'll pay. 

-But I'm the one that's eating. 

-Let me have some pride here, besides its not like i have to worry about my financials. 

-Okay.. 

We walked together to the festival and looked around at the stalls. There was everything from cotton candy to all sorts of exotic and interesting foods to catch the eye. We tried things like fried macaroni with egg to sausages coated with bits of french fries, which tasted slightly nostalgic, not sure from where though. I noticed that aside from food there were stalls for more specific items, some had set up technology showcases or fancy gimmick items and souvenirs. It was among those stalls did i notice a couple of hooded figures, one had a black camo pattern on it while the other had a gold and red color scheme. The gold hooded figure turned towards me and we both stared at each other, he broke off first and continued his business, i decide to let him be, dude deserves a break every now and then. Claire looked at me wondering what happened. 

-Uhm.. Is something the matter? 

-Nah, thought i saw an old friend. 

-Oh, was it him?

-probably, but we should head back to the arena next match is going to start. 

-What's so important about that? 

-The Princess is playing and i want to see how she improved. 

-You mean Princess Vanessa? 

-Yeah, she's a friend who i helped train for this tournament.

-Really? Then i wanna watch. 

-Alright then let's go. 

We quickly made it back to the arena, just in time to get a good seat and watch as Vanessa walked on the arena floor Excalibur in hand. Her opponent was a black haired boy who looked Japanese, looks like the type my brother enjoys throwing to other worlds for shits and giggles. He must be that dagger user i heard of considering the pair of black daggers in his hands. From the reverse grip he's got he should be an ambush style fighter. This could be a bad match up for Vanessa since she relies on the power of Excalibur and pure strength. Her reaction times did improve over her training but I'm wondering if she's able to keep up or even manage to counter a flanking attack. 

The boy bows and the referee asks if they're ready, they both answer and the match starts. The boy charges and Vanessa and prepares Excalibur with a one handed stance, looks like she wants to be as flexible as possible, good choice considering her opponent. Blades clash and Vanessa intercepts one of the daggers but the boy swings the left dagger at her shoulder but before it lands she slams a fist into his stomach, staggering him and buying Vanessa precious time to counter attack. 

She thrusts directly at him, the boy reacts with a swing of his dagger but merely grazes her. The thrust lands perfectly and the two break off to form a new plan. While Vanessa was hit the clean thrust gives her the advantage. This time its Vanessa who strikes first, she uses a downward slash and the boy moves to her left but it turns out that the slash was a feint. She quickly launches an upward diagonal and cuts him across the chest. The boy tries to counter attack but Vanessa quickly backs off. While the slash wasn't as solid as the first thrust it still puts Vanessa well in the lead. 

I look over at Claire and she stares intently at the match. I ask her what she thinks. 

-So any thoughts? 

-That upward slash looks a lot like yours. 

-Oh? 

-While the speed is different the posture and technique is very similar. 

-I guess you're right, she did learn from the best. 

Now its Matchpoint. Both sides know this is when the fight will be decided, either Vanessa lands another solid hit and finishes him off or he turns the tide and clutches victory from the jaws of defeat. Both activate their weapons secondary functions, Vanessa's Excalibur glows bright gold with electricity coursing through it, while the boy's daggers elongate and turn completely pitch black. Its likely his daggers are using gravity altering tech to improve lethality without sacrificing mobility. Interestingly Roberto's rapiers secondary function was actually a passive boost to his nervous system so he didn't have a flashy ability to pull out. 

This could be dangerous for Vanessa, with her reach advantage diminished and the following blows that will hit extra hard she'll have to find a way to overcome the speed difference somehow. Her only advantage is that she can stall while the boy can't, he'll have to attack or run the risk of losing by time. He runs up and starts swinging, Vanessa retreats but with the extra reach and better speed he's catching up and getting closer to landing good hits. Just as he's about to start landing blows Vanessa jams Excalibur into the ground sending a shockwave towards the boy, he's stunned momentarily giving Vanessa enough time for a horizontal slash which puts her at the score limit. 

The boy lands on his ass and the referee declares Vanessa the winner, she helps the boy up and they shake hands before parting to their respective locker rooms. Claire and i get up and head down to congratulate Vanessa on her win. 

4