Chapter 30 – The memoria of darkness
44 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 30 - The memoria of darkness

It was a cold dark prison, Elise knows she was dreaming the moment she catches sight of the metallic smell of blood. The stinky pavement and the yellow ashes of a fire on the edge of her cell. It was the day today when the prisoners were bestowed a glinting light by their capturer. 

The children adjusted well, there are no more tears, sobs, or asking for help. It's been a long time since they accept fate and the false hope of being saved. Elise sighs, she sleeps for hours but her muscles are still stiff. The water was so cold that it burned her fingers to freezing ice. 

The snowflakes were pouring outside, she somehow felt it. The feather-light flakes dumped at the surface and how Elise heard the grunting sounds from her co-prisoners. The dirt is already their comfort, Elise is surprised that the kids haven't caught a cold yet. 

She watched her cell. The pillows used were hard causing a stiff neck on her neck. The breeze is controlled, Elise hopes to follow the tiny wind that seems to caress her cheek. It was soft, like a lullaby causing her to tear up. The fragments were scary, Elise felt how miserable it was inside. Nothing but darkness and loneliness. 

The guard schedules for that day and gives them food. Soup for cold weather, they were treated like prisons in the modern world but perhaps, Elise was also confused. 

"The cook resigned today, but we managed." The blonde guard mumbled, he looked at the children without empathy, just doing his job. 

"I don't understand why we need to do this." He mumbled, no emotions showing in his words. 

"You shouldn't question the Lord," another guard muttered. 

"But... It's winter and they will die of hypothermia," 

"You idiot, have you seen that thing? It will take them away from the cold." 

"Let's go, I hate the smell here and was not allowed to stay." 

Elise closes her eyes to the glinting fire that seems to be interesting to watch. It was a hazy blurred lamp bruising her vision but she can't fight the sleepiness. Hoping that she won't wake up. 

Hence, Elise woke up at the sound of crying. It was warm today, there were people outside the cell. Elise's eyes flicker, two men? The child is shaking from fear, blood flowing from her arms. The droplet is painful in her ears. Here we go again. 

Elise hugs herself in a lotus position, covering both of her ears while her eyes are shut tight, hurting her eyelids. She can hear the scream and she pretends it was not from her friend that surely will lose a life again. It was a chain scenario and Elise was tired, she wanted to wake up. She hated her situation. Why is it always her that experiences hardships? There are so many people in the world, why her? 

No, why would she wish other people harm but it was unfair! Why her? She was a good person, she accepted her fate, and she never hurt anyone. Why does she feel so miserable day by day?

Elise closed her eyes and she heard a serenade, a soft voice of a lullaby, it only for seconds. Exactly 11 seconds and it made her feel calm, the tightness of her chest vanished into thin air and Elise can breathe again. 

The next day was different, there was no light existing, and it was cold from top to bottom, her feet were frozen and the kids were quiet, voices long gone caused by the thunderous pain. Elise's eyes flicker, wanting to create something that could help them from freezing. Did they abandon them? For a moment, she wished they would. It was better that way. 

Elise squatted, her muscles were stiff and she couldn't move her limbs anymore. She mumbled words and a light came to the surface. 

"It was painful." Said the light but glowed beautifully in her cell.

"E-Elisa...." a soft voice 

Elise doesn't understand what's happening but the pain disappears, she smells the flowers and the grass. The wind is also present gently brushing her skin. It was a haze, Elise's eyes were gold, and the kids also felt lightheaded as if they were healing. It happened so fast that they fell asleep at the fluffy feeling. 

The next day is empty, the cold is back and Elise is convinced what happened yesterday is a dream or maybe an angel took pity on them and visited their humble souls. It was magnificent, the heat wasn't totally forgotten. She seeks the same light feelings. Where did the angel go? 

-

Elise wakes up sweating. It was another dream. She checks her surroundings and the familiar room from Rj's manor came to comprehension. 

"What is it?" Bwi nuzzled out from Elise's embrace, his paw touched her trembling hands, and Elise blinked realizing she was not in a cold cell anymore. 

"I had a dream," Elise mumbled, still out of the daze. 

"What dream?" He asked, two golden eyes turned crescent. 

"Bad dream." Elise's lips quiver and it took him another minute to calm down her shaking veins. 

"Is it scary? I'm here. I will make you warm." Bwi sits on her chest and Elise lets out a small whimper before she hugs the small cat and feels his warmth. 

"The dark is scary but I think I managed to escape," Elise mumbled, it was still dawn and the people were sleeping. 

"You are destined for greatness Elise," The cat purr, and Elise caresses his back. 

"I doubt it. It's been hard since I came here or maybe because I was fated for the unfortunate." Elise giggles

"Maybe?" Bwi sassily uttered. 

"Yeah, but I heard unfortunate people are the bravest." 

"You know... They have nothing to lose." She whispered in the air. 

Elise checks the cat but he was already asleep in her embrace. 

"In this life, I have so many things to be confused about hence fate seems to collide expectantly." 

"I told you, you are meant to be happy," Bwi mumbled and Elise was already dozing off, not hearing the cat's speech. 

"She will protect you." 

End of chapter 30.

2