Chapter Two
49 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mother, he basically attacked me,” Caryn cried explaining her recent encounter with Marcus.

Helena, the now widowed former Queen, looked at her daughter lovingly; she sighed and stroked Caryn’s hair. The still beautiful Lady of Garhanna had barely spoken since the recent deaths of both her husband and her eldest child, Jamison.

“Caryn, you know how Marcus is, you cannot test him,” Helena whispered in her gentle way.

“But Father promised me, surely Marcus would respect that?” Caryn reasoned.

Helena sighed again, she of all people knew that her second born was not a man to be reasoned with. He was a jealous child from a very young age, always wanting to best his elder brother, Jamison. He often sought the approval of his Father, but nothing ever seemed enough for Marcus even when his Father doted on him with highest praise.

“I am afraid there isn’t much I can do, I will speak with him, but if he is already so enraged about it he will not easily change his mind.”

“I just need time Mother that is all I ask for.”

“Time for what, is there something you’re not telling me?”

“Nothing I can explain now. Shall we head to the dining hall, Marcus is holding a banquet for Duke Saber,” Caryn said with disgust in her tone.

“Don’t speak of him that way; he is now as much your sibling as Harmony is.”

“He could never be a Dimmock. Speaking of Harmony, why didn’t she come with him, I haven’t seen her in ages.”

“Apparently the Duke did not wish to have his impregnated wife on a ship for several weeks and I for one am definitely in agreement with him on that.”

Caryn rolled her eyes, but nodded understanding the sense behind it. It still didn’t stop her from missing her younger sister at all. It seemed just like yesterday to Caryn that the whole Dimmock family was together and doing so well. Everything seemed perfect and everyone was happy, Marcus was sulky just like his usual self, but nevertheless they were all together as one.

As the two walked to the dining hall together, they remembered some of their fondest memories from the past. It was again; just more reminders to Caryn that nothing would ever be the same. Her Father and Jamison were taken from them so young, it seemed so unfair.

The doors to the dining hall were wide open, but a man stood near the door announcing the names of the people that entered. One of Helena’s ladies whispered in the man’s ear, he announced their names and into the dining hall the two went. Their ladies dispersed, it was their time to be free after all. Helena and Caryn walked up to the high table where the royal family sat, normally joined by their honored guest. Tonight that was Duke John Saber of The Lone Islands, the furthest reach of the Cartanian Kingdom.

Caryn sat in between her half-sister Lana and their younger brother Jasper, the youngest member of the royal family. Helena sat beside Jessica, who was Marcus’ wife, a Williamson girl from the noble Williamson family who lead the neighboring city of Garhanna, Hiltest. The Duke sat at the right hand of the King and beside him was one man, Marcus’ chief adviser, Seth Quinwellion. He was a peculiar man who stood taller than most every man at the court, certainly taller than Marcus. His beard reached his collarbone and his hair was a haunting black. His eyes were piercing and the shade of light blue; the court almost seemed to fear his vicious gaze even though very few really knew the man.

“Have you thought anymore on what we spoke of earlier?” Duke Saber asked the King in a whisper, there was really no need to be so discreet, the music in the dining hall made it hard to hear much below a shout.

“I have, sorry for my distraction, I’m sure you know how my sisters can be,” Marcus replied with a sigh.

“Yes, but Harmony is quite amiable,” the Duke said lovingly.

“I remember, I do miss her,” Marcus admitted.

“I as well; so what, pray tell, is your answer?” The Duke prodded.

“I am of course sensitive to your predicament being so close to that mutinous king, I wish to speak with my Uncle on the situation, he knows those waters well,” Marcus replied.

“Well, I must get back to the Islands, I fear an attack my King,” the Duke explained.

“I should hope it will not come to that, the last thing I need is another battle to fight and so far from Garhanna.”

The Duke sighed and nodded, he understood where his King was coming from, but he knew the Pirates were not going to be content very much longer.

“I have to get back home, what should I do next?” The Duke asked politely.

“Once I speak with my Uncle I will send him to you, wait for him at the Islands,” Marcus instructed.

“I will do my best,” the Duke complied.

Caryn had finished eating her food; she looked about the dining hall everything seemed to be winding down for the night. She glanced over at Marcus and Duke Saber; they had finished their discussion that she had so desperately wanted to spy on.

“I think I shall retire,” Caryn announced so that everyone at the high table could hear her.

Marcus gave her a gesture to let her know that was all right, once Caryn stood her scattered ladies gathered together and followed her out. They went to Caryn’s chambers and began helping her get ready for bed for the night. Caryn remained silent the entire time her ladies were present, her mind was preoccupied with deep thought. Her situation seemed so much graver now, even her Mother thought there was nothing to be done to change Marcus’ mind. Caryn knew there was only one option if she wished to be with her love, Orion Winston, she had to run away.

1