Chapter Five
43 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The procession was long through the corridors of the royal castle in Garhanna. The noble families had all come, those that could make it in time, to share in the grief at the loss of another King. Caryn’s emotions were torn between the reality of her brother being dead and the knowledge of who had done it or at least who had plotted Marcus’ demise. Lana held Caryn’s hand tightly as they walked into the throne room where the corpse of their brother was being led. The usual rituals of death and burial continued throughout the day and the time for grieving continued well into the week.  

“Caryn, we should go and eat with the noble families, we must put on a strong face,” Lana encouraged her elder sister.

“I cannot face them, not now. We could’ve avoided this Lana, I could have stopped it,” Caryn said through tears.

“You cannot blame yourself, did you plot this? Marcus didn’t listen to you foolishly and now he is dead, we have to worry about Jasper now,” Lana rationalized.

Caryn wiped away her tears and nodded, “we should tell him to abdicate, it is the only way to protect him.”

“Caryn, do you hear yourself? You sound insane, he cannot forfeit the throne. He is the last male Dimmock that can be King; we will be giving up if he does that.”

“But Saber said these men do not fail Lana, they killed Marcus, and they will kill Jasper too!”

“We will find another way, I have been thinking on it for some time. We cannot speak to your Mother on this, she is beside herself with grief, but our Uncle is clear headed as ever,” Lana suggested.

Caryn nodded in agreement with such a plan, as the oldest living Dimmock he would understand their predicament and surely he would be able to help the girls hatch a plan to save the Kingdom from the likes of Duke Saber.

The sisters went to dinner with everyone else, the only ones not in attendance were Helena and Marcus’ widow. The dining hall fell silent when the royal children made their entrance. The noble families had seen little of them after the recent deaths. It seemed now that was the only reason to get nobles together anymore.

“Ah, Princess Caryn and Lady Lana, please join me,” Jasper announced as he was now expected to do as the new future King.

Caryn and Lana made their way over to the high table to sit beside their younger brother, he seemed so out of place, he had not been prepared for this moment in the slightest. Uncle Jack sat beside him on the right; he was guiding him the whole way. He embodied their lifeline at this point.

Once the noise picked back up in the room, Caryn leaned over to her Uncle who sat beside her and she whispered to him, “Uncle, we must speak with you in private tonight, it is urgent.”

Jack just gave a gentle nod to the girls. He cast a look over at Jasper who was being chirped to by Quinwellion. No more than ever Caryn just wanted to stand and yell at him, she knew he was guilty of this heinous act. But Caryn wasn’t sure of the power he carried; he could have every noble family on his side just like Saber.

Caryn began looking about the room, she wanted to see if anyone seemed over joyous at this occasion, who was truly happy to see the King dead…again. As she did, Caryn happened upon the table of the Winstons. Her eyes went first to Zade, the youngest Duke in Cartanin and then to Orion his younger brother. The man she had fallen madly in love with. Her heart skipped a beat as the two young love birds met eyes. All else in the room seemed to fade, all the problems Caryn was facing grew strangely dim in Orion’s beautiful brown eyes.

“Brother, if you’ll excuse me, my appetite is not here tonight,” Caryn said to Jasper.

Her brother gave a nod to let her leave not really paying much mind to her. Caryn smiled and got up from the high table, Lana watched her confused why she was leaving, but once she spotted Orion she knew. He got up from his table and the two walked out of the dining hall separately.

Caryn and Orion rushed to a private spot in the corridor, once there they embraced one another lovingly.

“I feared I would never see you again, Marcus arranged a marriage for me before his death,” Caryn explained sorrowfully.

“I feared the same, but my brother wishes for me to marry you. Do you think Jasper would be more obliged to let that happen?” Orion questioned.

“I shall make it so Orion; I cannot bear a marriage with another man. You are the only one I love!” Caryn declared.

Orion chuckled happily and then the two kissed one another. This reunion was unexpected, but gladly accepted nonetheless.

“You best be careful before someone notices you two,” a voice ended their momentary bliss.

Caryn gasped, ashamed of being caught, they looked to see who it was, twas Zade. Orion sighed in relief at the sight of his brother.

“We couldn’t contain ourselves brother,” Orion admitted.

“I can see that,” Zade chuckled; he drew nearer to them as the two let go of each other.

“I have informed Caryn of our wishes brother,” Orion smiled.

“And what might those be?”

“That you wish for Orion and I to be married,” Caryn said with great joy.

Zade laughed, “if only that was what I said.”

The couple looked at him with confusion on their faces.

“I will propose a Winston marriage to the future King, yes that much is true, but I’m afraid I am first in line dear brother,” Zade explained with a sinister smile as he looked Caryn up and down like a wolf on the prowl.

“Brother, you must be joking?”

“I’m not a jester, Orion. Caryn shall be my wife and I shall become next in line for the throne.”

Zade left the two in utter horror and shock at what they had just heard; he whistled an old tune that echoed throughout the halls. Caryn knew this was a sign that the nobles had truly all turned against her family and almost nothing could be done to stop them from stealing the throne.

0