24: Courting
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Daphne admired herself in the mirror as one did. When a master craftsperson had devoted hours of their life to creating art, it was only proper to take a moment to appreciate its beauty.

“Prince Hadrian will be left stunned,” Maid said, making small adjustments to the gold needles keeping her hair in a perfectly styled bun.

Daphne let out a smull hum of satisfaction. She was dressed in resplendent golden silk from head to heel, looking as if molten gold was flowing down her body. A cloak of stormsilk fluttered behind her, kept perpetually floating aboveground by the object’s innate cultivation. As she understood it, the object was infused with such powerful wind qi that it required no prompting from her to fulfill its purpose.

Just as well, for Daphne had never considered branching out from her training in water qi. Blaise was doing his best to teach her now, but she would not dare call herself adequate quite yet.

This realm truly does have wonders and secrets, Daphne thought. To produce such artifacts who had no purpose beyond mere decoration... It showed how confident these people were that the cultivation path they walked could afford to invest so much time and effort on trivialities. For what else could it be called but arrogance to climb towards immortality, to step heavenward, yet still insist on these small vanities.

It was an arrogance Daphne could respect, even if her old master would have been apoplectic at what he’d perceive as waste. What was the point of doing something if one could not look good while doing it?

There was a knock on the door and Maid rushed over to open it, while Daphne turned around to look at the doors. With a look, she signalled to Maid to open them.

“Your Excellency,” Daphne said, curtseying, as the people of this realm called their version of kowtowing.

“There’s no need for that between us in private,” Hadrian said, a slight smile turning the corners of his lips as he stepped into the room. “We’re engaged now, aren’t we?”

“I’ve been led to understand by my cousin that such an arrangement needs to be formalized,” Daphne said.

Hadrian scoffed. “Formalities. My mother won’t object, of course, neither will my father. Do you see any complications arising from your end?”

Daphne considered what she knew of her parents, before slowly shaking her head. “My house would be honored to be joined with yours.”

“Then we’re as good as engaged, aren’t we?” Hadrian said, silvey eyes shining bright. For the briefest of moments, her qi sense honed in on that pair of stars. There was power behind them that did not belong to Hadrian himself. An imposition of will, a spell placed heedless of time by his ancestors. It was the lingering traces of legacy.

His qi remained as she’d remembered, not being particularly noteworthy in itself, but she was surer now than ever that his bloodlines remained locked. Perhaps he wished to deepen his foundations first in the four elements? There were some bloodlines and clan techniques which could interact unfortunately with one’s foundations. If he were taking such a prudent path, Daphne could only commend him, for many rushed to the next breakthrough without consideration for the larger picture.

Of course, she’d never ask him that until they were intimate! It was impolite to ask such things about someone’s cultivation even between path friends.

“Lady Daphne?” Hadrian asked, taking a few steps towards her. “Are you feeling well?”

“Perfectly fine,” Daphne replied.

“You looked distracted by something,” he said.

“Really, I’m fine,” Daphne said.

Before he could take another step closer, something green and spiked fell from the ceiling. Alice landed between them, upright as if by magic and no worse for falling. Daphne had learned many things about her catcus, including her remarkable ability to climb walls using those thorns of hers. They’d learned that the first time Maid had tried giving catcus a bath. 

Hadrian stared at Alice. “A catcus? I wasn’t aware you kept one as a pet.”

“Alice is my familiar as of yesterday,” Daphne said.

Hadrian knelt and held out a hand to the catcus.

“Be careful,” Daphne said. “She’s not fond of other people.”

On cue, Alice let her spikes show, pricking Hadrian’s hand and poking his most outstretched finger. Daphne spotted a thin pool of blood forming as she strode forward. “Alice, no!” Daphne said, as her large eyes peered at Daphne, asking if she’d done well. “Prince Hadrian is a friend.”

Alice slunk away, in search of the warmest corner in the room. Daphne rolled her eyes as Alice settled on where her favorite silk cushion lay, perfectly positioned so that the light of the morning sun hit it.

“I’m sorry about that,” Daphne said. “I haven’t quite figured out how to get her to stop pricking anyone other than me.”

Hadrian chuckled. “Don’t worry about it. I should have known better really. Uncle’s catcus is much the same and they like being touched as much as pineapple’s do.”

“At least let me take care of this for you,” Daphne said, taking off her gloves and pressing her skin against his. He was warm to the touch. Water qi sprouted out of her fingers and covered his wound, willing it to knit itself shut. A unique application of water qi, to say the least, and one she’d quickly mastered upon learning of its existence. “I have to ask, what made you come visit me today of all days? It took me quite by surprise.”

“I hadn’t seen you in a while,” Hadrian said. “And with the tournament coming up … well, I’d hate to distract you from your training, but also be deprived of your company. Now seemed like the best time to see you.” His eyes locked with hers. “I hope I didn’t cause any inconvenience?”

“None at all,” Daphne said smoothly. They’d decided not to continue with today’s training anyway after speaking with the archystor. The old master who’d be supervising them from now on couldn’t make it today, but had promised to carve out time for them each day for the entirety of the coming week.

He stood, and pulled her up with him, before leading them to the sofa.

“Would you like anything to drink?” Daphne asked. It was a shame that she didn’t have any aphrodisiacs on hand, but that was no excuse to forget her manners. A small mercy that Tracey was not around though, or she might think Daphne a hypocrite for not following her own advice on courtship.

“A glass of water would be lovely,” Hadrian said.

Daphne nodded to Maid, and she left to see to it. His hands had never left hers, and Daphne couldn’t say she honestly minded.

“Was it really so surprising that I’d visit you?” Hadrian asked.

“We don’t know each other very well,” Daphne said. Not that that was a necessary basis for romance between jade beauties and heroes.

“Then all the more reason that I do visit,” Hadrian said with a full smile that reached his eyes. “We’re only going to spend the rest of our lives together.”

“Assuming the engagement is formalized,” Daphne said.

His smile wilted. “Do you find the thought displeasing?” he asked. “I don’t mean to impose on you, despite how quickly things might seem moving.” His laugh was full of nervous energy. “I realize in hindsight it must be quite a shock that I’d ask you to marry me upon our second meeting.”

Well, at least you asked, Daphne thought wryly. Some men never bothered even, and just took it for granted that any jade beauty would gladly dual cultivate with them. Such affairs were far more fun when both were willing. “I’ve no complaints about marrying you,” Daphne assured him. “Only…”

“Only?”

"A proper suitor would have brought me to a restaurant by now," Daphne said.

“Oh?” Hadrian asked with furrowed brows, his ringed fingers intertwining with hers now. “I didn’t think you’d like dining in the city. I can make arrangements.”

She wasn’t particularly fond of restaurants, but did you really know someone until you’d seen them smack down an arrogant young master? Where better to find them than a restaurant?

“Maybe not today,” Daphne said. “After the tournament, when I win perhaps?”

“After the tournament, whether you win or not,” Hadrian bargained.

“Whether I win or not,” Daphne acquiesced. After all, she was confident of winning, so really meeting him halfway was just giving him some face and not real surrender.

0