Chapter 5- Monotonous Day
352 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ella notched an arrow and aimed at the boar resting on a clearing inside the forest. Just as she was abour to fire, she noticed movement on her right, behind the boar, she lowered her bow and waited.

It was a wolf. It didn't seem to notice her.

She looked around to see if there are any other, there were none. So she watched the wolf.

The wolf creeped towards the boar, its body almost hugging the ground. The boar is blissfully unaware, its attention on the grass its eating.

The wolf is just a few meters away from the boar. It pounced, biting at the boar's neck. The boar struggled, and tried to break free. The wolf's bite proved strong however, and the boar stopped moving after a few moments of effort. 

The wolf released its bite when an arrow hit its forelimb. Roaring in pain, it tried to move, but a second arrow went straight through its eye.

The wolf collapsed, its last sight a pair of eyes, cold and unmoving.

Ella approached his two catch.

"I better butcher them fast," Ella took out a knife. She stored the meat and skins in different sacks of bags.

She heard a roar near her, "Welp, time to go."

She got out of there and reached the edge of the forest.

It's been three days since John left the village.

... ... ...

Ella entered the guard's post and placed the the bags she was carrying in front of Greta. "Three boars, and a wolf as a bonus."

"Okay, that's one done," Greta stamped a paper before posting it on a bulleting board.

"Where's the captain?" Ella asked, organizing the meat and storing them.

"He was called by the village chief. I don't know why." "Oh. I'm off to patrol then."

"Good work."

Ella walked out the guard's post and approached the a stall in the village center, "Two sticks."

"Here you go," an old woman gave two sticks of barbeque.

Ella continued walking. She saw a group of children sitting on the ground, in front of them is an old man on a wheel chair. He was telling a story.

"Good morning, Lady Ella," a soft, gentle voice greeted her. It was a young priest, he is watching over the kids.

"Hi," Ella replied. "Want some?"

She held out a stick. "I'm fine, thank you."

"Okay."

"Little by little, children are recovering," said the priest, looking at the children with a faint smile on his face.

Ella looked sideways then at the children, "It'd be worrisome if they didn't."

The priest smiled wryly at her, "Yes, I suppose it is." Ella smiled back.

"Well, keep up the good work I guess," Ella waved as she walked away.

"Of course. Have a good day." The priest waved back at her.

Ella walked east and approached the fields. She saw people herding sheeps at the distance while there are people harvesting grains.

"How's the harvest?" She called out.

"Could've been better," an old man replied. "If only some empire send some aid!"

"You're still complaining?" "YEAH!! Fuck'em!!"

The people around the man laughed.

They are recovering too, maybe. Ella thought and sighed.

"..." 

She continued her walk, proceeding south. Meeting and talking to people.

It was late afternoon when she found herself standing in front of the pillar.

"..." She sat.

"What you thinking about?" A burly man sat beside her. It was the captain.

"Nothing. I just found myself here." She replied.

"Really... so how's your day been?"

"Not bad I guess. I got a wolf in my hunt," Ella answered.

"Good for you. I got chewed out by the chief," the captain said.

"You destroyed a farm?" 

"It was already destroyed when I was there. And why is that the first thing you say?"

"What's the difference?"

"Me being there didn't mean I did it!"

"Yeah yeah." The two bickered.

"Hey," a voice from behind interrupted them. "Let's go eat." It was Greta, she was wearing an apron.

"Okay." "I'm starving." They both replied and followed Greta.

... ... ...

Jonathan found himself riding a dinghy, he immediately looked up.

"This is." Above him were numerous bridges of light. Stars, planets and galaxies were floating in the sky.

He looked around him. Behind him was a figure in a black cloak, steering the dinghy. Surrounding him were other boats, with similar figures steering them. He noticed no passengers on the other boats.

"I'm back," he whispered. He laughed.

He turned to the figure behind him and asked, "Can I ask where this place is?"

The cloaked figure looked up, ignoring him. Curious, Jonathan followed suit. He saw the sight and admired it.

I know this is only the second time I see it, but wow. He forgot everything else as he continued looking at the sky.

It was then he noticed it.

"WHAT THE FUCK!?"

7