Chapter 66: Strangeness
597 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Artium swayed from left to right and hummed a happy song as she gradually savoured the roasted rabbit meats. Her fatigue and injuries had healed, only the sobering sense of grief remained. With Serinda by her side and Iris in front of her, she felt happiness surging in her heart.

"Sister Iris, you're the best," she said. "You came into the floor in the middle of a test and broke its rules. You're indeed the special Monster Girl. I now understand why Serin wanted to team up with you so badly."

Serinda, who was leaning onto Artium, coughed, her ears turning pink. Her dry laughter brightened the atmosphere, giving Iris an urge to tease her. She was really cute, playful like Vilia, but not as mature, though as pretty. Iris curbed her wandering thoughts while glancing at Artium, who sensed something amiss and stared at Serinda.

"Why are you staring at me? I didn't do anything." Serinda averted her gaze, yet she still peeked at Iris's soft figure. "I haven't done anything. We're in the middle of a test; how could I be so senseless?"

"You're always senseless, Serin, especially regarding the matter of passion. Your heart will race, your mind crumbled, your body melted. I know you more than you know yourself." Artium gently pinched Serinda's cheek. "Have you already forgotten who combed your hair after those messy nights? I spent much more intimate time with you than you realised."

"Don't say that in front of Sister Iris. You're embarrassing me. You're disrespecting me; I'm your leader!" Serinda tried to cover Artium's mouth, but Artium lightly bit on her fingers, making her cry a strange noise.

Iris was stunned but didn't do anything. The two teased each other before Serinda messed up and tumbled onto Artium, falling to the ground. They froze as their faces hovered in front of each other, smelling their burning scents, feeling their heated bodies, watching their flickering eyes. Iris licked her dry lips. Her heart was racing, but she had to stop the two.

She intentionally clapped loudly, shifting her gaze away from the two.

"The sun is nearly at its peak," Iris said. "The darkness of the night has dispersed. Don't you think it's a good time to take a stroll?"

Serinda realised that Iris was watching and sprang away from Artium immediately. She huddled in a corner, mindlessly rubbing her sensitive tail, feeling unsatisfied yet guilty. Her pitch-black scales glowed in the dark, giving her a mature appeal that grew more intense as time passed.

Artium exhaled and lightly slapped her cheeks. Her excited face calmed down as she glanced at Serinda, then at Iris, also feeling unsatisfied. She had confirmed that Serinda did not do anything with Iris, but she wanted to use such an excuse to play with Iris too.

She wanted to tease both but ended up getting nothing.

"The test told us to survive for five days, and the exit will manifest somewhere in the town," Artium said. "Sister Iris, we have three more days of free time. Why don't we relieve our stress and deepen our bonds? Though the good night rest had healed my physical body, my mental health needs further attendance."

"Artium, how could you do this? I ask her first," Serinda said. "But I didn't lie to you. I haven't done anything with Sister Iris yet."

"I know, which is why I'm curious." Artium turned to Iris. "Are we not good enough for you? Are our experiences not up to your standard, or are our appearances too plain? Can you teach us what we're lacking?"

"I," Iris said, "I didn't say any of that. You two are beautiful, lovely, charming. I won't deny it that your appearances appeal to me. However, we are not in a Safe Zone or the Labyrinth of Love. We're in the Puppeteer Legacy Ground, in a deadly test. Do you have so much drive that you can even do such acts here?"

"Isn't it exciting? We Monster Girls pursue such thrill, don't we?" Artium grasped her breasts and caressed them, holding them up for Iris. Though they weren't big, their size fitted her delicate hands. "Sister Iris, you're strong. We submit to you; you protect us; we repay you. Our bodies are precious good, worthy of entertaining you. Why don't you try us once?"

"You're saying you two have done this kind of thing before? You need to treasure yourself, Artium, Serinda. A Monster Girl's body is her greatest asset. You'll regret it if you don't cherish your body."

"We've never done it, Sister Iris. This is our first time!" Artium smiled. "I'm as clueless as Serin, but isn't this more appealing? The first time is the most interesting. Even if we are clumsy and confused, you'll remember us and our bodies. When you become famous, please don't forget today’s embarrassment."

"Why do all of you wish to have me in your bed?" Iris sighed. "I can't understand it. Isn't it a virtue to take care of yourself, to take care of your heart, to take care of your body?"

"To give my body to you is a virtue, Sister Iris. How is it sinful, or dirty, to give yourself to someone whom you admire and love?" Artium coyly looked at Iris. "It is a virtue to express yourself to the fullest. I'm sure you would delicately take care of my heart, my body, and my soul."

"You have your ways with words, but you may not twist my statements and misrepresent my stance. The act of love and admiration is righteous, but the act of carnal desires is indecent."

"Carnal desire is the raw, untainted expression of love. Who can say that it is not just? If our feeling is mutual, why must we suppress ourselves? Is it not aberrant to deceive yourself with an appearance of abstinence?"

Iris stared at Artium. Her mind raced through multiple reasons, but she could not counter Artium’s pure, flirtatious belief, which Iris found acceptable yet too afraid to accept. Her heart reminded her that it was wrong, but she couldn't discern why it was wrong. She only had an uncomfortable shame that clung onto her chest, telling her that she must not give in to the temptation; such action was immoral.

"No means no," Iris said. "I don't want to do it. You can't force me, for I'm the strongest here. Even if you don't feel shame, I do. Want to change my mind? Make me then."

Iris trembled as her chest hurt. The conflicts in her belief pained her, pinching her with guilts of deception, of hypocrisy. Yet she couldn’t refuse the accusation, only turning away and closing her mind. She was afraid of what she had slowly become, afraid that she would change, afraid that she would accept the change.

"Sister Iris, you're being unreasonable!" Serinda shut her eyes and turned away. "You promised me. How could you do this?"

"Promise?" Iris tensed. "I would never break my promise, but I'm really shy; I'm pathetic, inexperienced. It's shameful, so shameful I couldn't even imagine how I could do it. Am I the strange one? Am I the unreasonable one? Am I still myself?"

Serinda trembled as she turned to Iris, who was on the verge of crying. She didn't expect Iris to break down suddenly; it was her fault. She slithered to Iris and grabbed her hands, shaking her.

"Sister Iris, you're not strange," she said. "You're just modest and pure. I didn't want you to cry; I didn't intend to hurt you with my words. If you truly don't want to do it, I won't force you. Love must be mutual."

"I'm sorry," Iris said. "I couldn't do it. I'll try my best. We'll first hold hands; is that too little?"

Serinda blinked and shook her head, agreeing with the suggestion. Though it was nothing compared to what she had done, the new feeling was exciting, too exciting. She held Iris's hands, staring at them, feeling their delicate warmth. It was insignificant, yet it moved her heart. A lukewarm sensation gushed out of her chest.

Maybe her past love wasn't true love but physical love? She wanted to explore more about this new love.

Artium wouldn't stay on the side and Serinda took Iris. She giggled and lay on her bed, knocking on the dirt, producing muffled noises that attracted the other two's attention. She remained smiling, exuding a carefree yet passionate air.

"Sister Iris, if you're shy, why don't you sleep with me? Shyness stems from inexperience; I can guide you along the way. After a few times, you'll abandon your reserve and adapt to our carefree, joyous way of living."

Iris smiled.

"No. Handholding is enough for me. I didn't promise you anything of such sorts."

"I need your healing affection, Sister Iris." Artium pouted. Her lilies fluttered as she expressed her unhappiness. "I'm the injured one, so bad that I couldn't wake up to enjoy your embrace during the night. Serin is fine; she has an unfair advantage."

"All is fair in love and war," Serinda said. "You'll need to try harder if you want to take Sister Iris from me."

"Since when have I become your property?" Iris said. "Don't get too arrogant, or I'll have to discipline you. Do you want to fall asleep again?"

"I’ll gladly sleep if you are to join me, Sister Iris. I don't need your hug, just you by my side is enough. We'll rest in silence; no one would hear us. There is no risk involved, only tranquillity."

"You're more dangerous than Artium, you know?"

Before Iris could tease more, she suddenly frowned and pulled back her hands. Her solemn expression made Artium and Serinda stop their conversation. Silence gradually returned to the shelter, revealing the serene noises of nature, of chirping birds, of whistling winds. The sunlight glaring through the crack landed on Iris, illuminating her slimy body.

"Did you hear it?" Iris said.

"I hear nothing out of the ordinary." Artium frowned. "That's right; I hear nothing. Why is there nothing?"

"What do you mean?" Serinda whispered. "Is it an ambush? But Sister Iris had already scouted the surrounding. We also left no evidence of our existence."

"No. It isn't an ambush. If those black puppets knew our location, they would have destroyed us, not waiting for us to prepare ourselves." Iris walked to the crack and peeked outside. Her enhanced perception found no disturbance. "They couldn't have used magic. If they did, we wouldn't have heard the sounds of nature."

It was unthinkable that the entire war would stop for an ambush. The other answer was also equally strange.

"They vanished?" Serinda said. "Sister Iris, perhaps you might know something?"

Iris shook her head. A bad feeling surged in her heart. It was like a pair of eyes were staring down her back, scrutinising her every move, guiding her towards an inevitable trap. The Overseer had made his move, but Iris didn’t know how to resist it.

"Serinda, Artium, do you trust me?" Iris said.

"You're our leader. Whatever you demand, we accept," Serinda said.

Artium gravely nodded.

"Good. Stay close to me, as close as possible. Don't ever leave my side." Iris gestured for them to stick with her. "Don't ask because I don't know the exact detail, but I have a bad feeling about this. I swear I'll get you two out alive, so I'll protect you to the best of my ability."

"What should we do? I don't think this place is safe anymore," Serinda said. "I think we should go out to see what's wrong. Sister Iris, you're our leader. Please choose our next action."

"Your suggestion is wise." Iris nodded. "I'll go out first. If I didn't say anything for five minutes, come out. Otherwise, stay inside until the commotion is over. Don't worry. I'm way more resilient and stronger than you two."

"Be careful, Sister Iris. You should take this rifle with you," Artium said. "If we can't help you fight, you should prepare yourself as much as possible. We need to rely on you; only you can save us."

Iris smirked.

"No need. I already have my rifle." She raised her hand and clenched her fist, her eyes gleaming with subtle excitement. "Well then. Let's see what the floor has in store for us."

Whatever the Overseer planned, Iris would shatter it with her power. It was not arrogance, but confidence, not in herself, but in Quasi.

Time to fight back!

Read ahead up to 10 chapters and support me on Patreon, or come join my Discord!

18