Chapter 100: Hope from Within
399 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Flamira swung her spears and parried the strikes of the Walkers. Her blades crashed against the dark grey carapace, creating bright sparks which momentarily illuminated the dark pit. Though the Walkers were mindless, their cooperation made them dangerous. If Flamira weren't a Slime Girl, she would have been in a much worse situation.

Still, she couldn't stop to rest. The other Monster Girls were of flesh and blood. They could not endure as much punishment as her. She had to cling to her determination and push through.

The difference between life and death is but a few instants. I can't do anything, but that doesn't mean Kurion and Noviscar can't.

Everything depends on them now.

Behind Flamira, Serinda and Artium had almost become one. They leant on each other as if they were merging. After spending their time fighting for survival, they had already refined their mastery over their innate talents. Their power over dream and shadow complemented each other, raising their might more than the sum of their parts.

However, no matter what they did, they could not change the situation. Their powers could not fight the whole army by themselves, not to mention the two Dwellers, who sat at the edge of the pit, watching the scene silently, joyously.

Though motionless, their presence alone firmly suppressed the Monster Girls.

The other Monster Girls also stayed together to fend off the Walkers, but they were comparatively less exotic in their means than Serinda and Artium. Nevertheless, most had an artefact with them and could close the gap created by numerical disadvantage.

Even then, they and Flamira only amounted to half the battlefield, the other half occupied by Kurion and Noviscar. Compared to the two strongest Transformation Phase Monster Girls, Flamira was not worth mentioning. For each of Flamira's strikes, Kurion could wave her hand and restrained more, and Noviscar alone could suppress tens of Walkers at once.

"Is it not romantic?" the female Dweller said. Her soft yet sharp voice echoed throughout the pit. "These Monster Girls, struggling against insurmountable odds. Are we the evil, the ruthless monsters?"

"Maybe we are, Iona. Maybe we are." The male Dweller, Juin, pointed at Kurion and Noviscar. "Those two must be the heroes, the underdogs. In the moment of despair, they will rise with newfound might and sweep away their opposition. Their distance from the Condensation Phase is merely a hair length."

This was why Iona and Juin did not engage in the battle. They feared that the Monster Girls might have a few desperate treasures or tricks that, if pushed to the limit, would destroy themselves and their enemies. Instead of taking the risk, the Dwellers bid their time for the best opportunity.

Even if Kurion and Noviscar broke through, they would not have the chance to catch the Dwellers off guard.

This is bad. Flamira thrust her spears forwards and channelled her Corruption Power. The blazing flames morphed into snake silhouettes and slithered towards the Walkers, melting their carapaces. If we do nothing, the Walkers will exhaust us. Then, those two Dwellers will end us.

An opportunity. Kurion and Noviscar need one, just one.

Flamira thought of Iris and her situation. Main Body is dealing with an even greater enemy than these two Dwellers. If I were to fall here, who would be the bearer of good and bad news?

Flamira took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and let go of the spears. They burst into a wave of fire and engulfed the surrounding, passing through the Monster Girls, burning only the Subterranean Creatures. Their heat turned the pit crimson, attracting all attention.

Even the Dwellers placed their gazes on her.

Flamira raised her hands and pointed skywards. Her blazing red armour melted into an oozy liquid. Her clothes dissolved into orange slime. The flames around her rapidly merged into a flow of dark purple Corruption Power surrounding her.

As she slowly spun, the Corruption Power surged inside her, seeping through her delicate, bouncy skin. Her petite figure gradually turned azure, with dark purple tints mixed inside. Her inner flesh softened into slime while her skin condensed into a translucent membrane.

When the fire died down, she had already returned to her Slime Girl appearance. Though her presence was wicked and alluring, another aura dwarfed it. In her hand was a green sword, whose handle had a glowing jade embedded on it.

With her two hands, Flamira gripped the Flourishing Nature Sword and raised it above her. The power of nature erupted around her as green light blazed upwards, forming a pillar of forest fragrance. The brilliance hit the ceiling and rained down as droplets of condensed energy. When they touched the ground, they gave birth to the colours of trees and flowers.

"Sister Noviscar, Sister Kurion, this is the best I can do," Flamira said. "If I fall, please tell them I'm sorry."

Iona and Juin dropped from the edge of the pit, landing in the middle of the Walkers. Their evil auras flooded their surroundings, driving away the Walkers, decaying some that failed to escape. Even though they were of the same races, the Mutators and the Walkers were mindless; the Dwellers didn't consider them worthy.

"What is your name, Slime Girl?" Iona said. "I'll give you one chance. If you obediently surrender, I'll give you a chance to join us. We possess a way to turn other races into one of us, but the pain during the process is unbearable."

"I am Flamira, and I can't abandon my sisters."

"Iona, why are you so hellbent on going against the imperial decree?" Juin said. "Do you want me to behead you? Treason is a legitimate charge, especially against you."

"Try me if you will. I've always wanted to battle you, Juin." Iona raised her claws. They trembled with expectation. "You've been a Dweller for far longer than I am, but I don't think I'm weaker than you."

"Not everyone is a battle junkie like you." Juin eyed Iona. "But if you look down on me, I'll show you that physical strength isn't the only factor in the battle."

Chuckling, Iona shook her head and focused on Flamira, who was shaking from the overwhelming strength inside her.

The Flourishing Nature Sword was Greenwood Swordmaster's most praised weapon, a weapon capable of unleashing the power of the Condensation Phase. Even Greenwood, whose power was equivalent to Peak Stage Transformation Phase, died after releasing its strongest attack.

How could a fragile Transformation Phase Slime Girl endure it?

Despite standing still, Flamira looked as if she was bouncing. The green light surrounding her crept outwards and painted the bottom of the pit lush green, filling the grey cracks with grasses and vines. The Walkers and the Mutators retreated as the toxic plants emerged and captured them, devouring them alive.

The pressure on the Monster Girls abruptly dropped as everyone concentrated on Flamira, waiting for her next move. Her silhouette still froze in place, yet her aura fluctuated between strong and feeble, giving her a sense of instability, fragility. It was unclear if she would erupt in an all-toppling impact or fizzle out in a whimper.

"Noviscar, are you afraid of death?" Kurion said. "You can protect me while I break through."

"Why should I be afraid?" Noviscar smiled. "Flamira has promised us. I've been with her long enough to know that her promise is precious beyond mere wealth."

"That's what I thought too." Kurion placed her fingers on her lips. "This excitement must be what Oriente told us. Only, this time, we will emerge victorious."

Kurion closed her eyes and reached deeper inside her mouth, her hand going down her throat. Her arm turned foggy as it entered her body, passing through her flesh, reaching towards her heart. Her pitch-black Corruption Power quivered, condensed into black mists, and covered her like a cocoon.

Within the darkness, her body dissolved as she clutched her heart. Inside her, endless pains and pleasures mixed, spreading everywhere. The oblivion of darkness gripping her mind as she pulled out her heart, severing its connection with her soul.

Meanwhile, Noviscar raised her hands to the side and closed her eyes. The flowers and vines encircled her pale figure and merged into a pure white lotus, which closed its petals, protecting its lover from all harm.

Alone, Noviscar immersed herself in the soundless song inside her heart.

Since her previous life, her dream had always been to sing for everyone. She practised everywhere she could, and she did it without any complaint.

Despite how her family disapproved of her naive idea, she left the village to roam the world, wishing to find more people to sing for. She knew the vastness of the world and knew that, somewhere out there, people were waiting to hear her voice.

In the end, she had travelled to multiple towns and sung for multiple events, yet she could not reach her dream. No matter how hard she tried, some people would never get to hear her voice. The deaf and the uninterested would never feel the emotions she put into her songs.

With such conviction, she headed everywhere to find someone who could help her. During her journey, a group of Monster Girls attacked her caravan and captured the few unlucky survivors. Seeing the Monster Girls for the first time, she found them alluring and mystical, evoking the emotions so familiar to her.

Thus, she sang for the Monster Girls, and that day, she became a Monster Girl, with her dream becoming bigger, from just humans to all beings.

Now, with the next step forwards, my dream will become reality.

"Flamira, you want to sacrifice yourself for them?" Iona narrowed her eyes. "Once we kill them, your death will be wasted."

"Then make it quick," Flamira said. "Do you think that I'll exhaust myself to death before those two can reach the Condensation Phase? Are you willing to bet against my odds?"

Iona glanced at Flamira, then Juin, who nodded. The two Dwellers didn't want to risk it, but if they lost their bet, they would have to deal with potentially three Condensation Phase Monster Girls. By then, they would not get any chance to complete their mission.

"Flamira, you force us." Iona leant forwards, assuming her battle stance, her claws hovering in front of her chest. "I really don't want to kill you. A Slime Girl is a cute pet to have, but sadly, it must be done."

As soon as her words faded, Iona sprinted towards Flamira. The ground beneath her feet collapsed into a chasm as shockwaves echoed outwards, sending the nearby Walkers flying.

Behind her, Juin flicked his hands, tossing a pile of blackness. It dispersed into a black swarm of locusts. They quickly multiplied into a wave of darkness, eating everything they swept past. Even the Mutators and the Walkers were not safe from their all-devouring appetite.

The black swarm and Iona reached Flamira simultaneously, the black swarm above, Iona at the front. Each of them carried the might which shook the ground and the crystal ceiling, capable of annihilating Flamira with just a fragment of their full power.

Unlike their violent speed, Flamira merely closed her eyes and swung the Flourishing Nature Sword groundwards. Her slow swing came to a stop in front of her feet.

An endless wave of power of nature ruptured.

100 chapters! Time seems to fly fast. Hopefully, I'll continue to write more!


Special thanks to my patrons: Empress of Iron, Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, BLACKYVult, Skyler Flores, and Linaith!

Like always, you can support me on Patreon, or visit my Discord!

9