Chapter 105: Malicious Arrangement
398 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world around Corane was colourless, filled with shadowy mists that mimicked movements and lives but remained dull and inanimate. They drifted like winds and illuminated like radiances, but their quality differed absolutely, having opposite effects. Unlike winds, the shadow winds were hot; unlike radiances, the shadow lights were darkness.

Corane fell from the sky, her hands gripping her chest. The shadow clouds enveloped her body. The scent of death permeated her.

She couldn't feel anything on her chest. She had no chest, for it had been replaced by a gaping hole which revealed her beating heart and broken ribs. The holy power manifested as rays of light. They clung onto her flesh, infested her veins and muscles, purified her corrupted body, and slowed down her regeneration.

For a Condensation Phase Monster Girl, physical injury was not fatal, but the holy power was a hindrance that could threaten her life. Though its quantity was minuscule, its source was the Divine, the embodiment of virtue and purity, the opposite of corruption and distortion, the Monster Girls.

"Undrila, you save me again." Corane smiled. Blood leaked out between her teeth. "But how am I going to save you?"

Entering the Shadow Plane through the Shadow Heart Fragment was risky, even for the Condensation Phase Monster Girls. There were thirteen pieces of Fragments and one Core, each under the possession of the truly powerful. Compared to them, Undrila and Corane were mere weaklings, lucky enough to obtain a piece from an ancient ruin but not strong enough to keep hunting for more.

Even the Broken Empire, one of the most powerful forces of the Monster Girls, dared not openly search for the Fragments. They knew the beings of legends and myths also sought for these Fragments in the hope to receive the legacy of Lady Lilith, the originator of the Monster Girls.

Just the creation of the Shadow Plane alone was enough to show Lady Lilith's might. Her rumoured legacy would be unimaginable, ungodly, and unearthly. However, no matter how tempting the rewards of exploration might be, Undrila and Corane had never entered the Shadow Plane for too long.

Each time they entered the Shadow Plane, their Fragment would ripple, giving out a faint signal to the other Fragments and the Core. This was how Lady Lilith conducted her battle of inheritance.

With the Shadow Plane as the battleground, the inheritors would battle against one another and collect more Fragments until all were united, and the true legacy would manifest.

The Corruption Power in the air surged as Corane greedily absorbed it, trying her hardest to destroy the holy power. Inside the Shadow Plane, there was an endless amount of Lilith's Corruption Power, but one had to regulate their absorption, or they would lose their mind.

Even the Solidification Phase Monster Girls had to be careful.

Corane focused her attention on her chest. Her crystalised flesh gradually regenerated. Her large wound stopped bleeding, but the weariness inside her heart persisted. The quality of the Corruption Power was too inferior to wash away the power of the Divine, not when Corane was in an ordinary location of the Shadow Plane.

"At this rate, I'll require at least a few hours to cleanse my body, and upwards to a few days to recover to my peak." Corane looked in the direction of the Labyrinth of Love. "Undria, why did you give this to me? Without the Fragment, how are you going to survive?"

Even though Undrila had the Carefree Reflection Chamber with her, who said that the Golden Cardinal wouldn't have a legendary artefact with himself?

How can I save her? Is there anything I can do?

"A Condensation Phase Monster Girl with a Fragment?" a voice boomed around Corane. "Are you here for the Core as well, Little One?"

Corane shuddered. She had already cast multiple concealment spells and escaped deep to the forest, but someone still found her, someone who knew about the Fragment and the Core. Someone powerful.

Corane rigidly looked up. Above the forest, below the clouds, a feminine figure stood atop the sky. Her white wedding dress danced with the flowy winds as her fine black hair glittered under the shadowy sunlight. She stared at Corane, her gaze pressing onto the earth with oppressive yet fragile pressure, which threatened to shatter at the slightest touch.

"Esteemed Lady, is there anything I can help you?" Corane gritted her teeth and knelt, turning pale. "I have no wish to take the Shadow Heart Core, for I know my inadequate strength cannot hold onto it."

The Solidification Phase Monster Girl stepped on the air, landed in front of Corane, and studied the beautiful features of the Crystal Dragon Girl. On that smooth skin were patches of crystals growing out of her flesh, like a precious armour cladding her curvy figure, showcasing her natural charm.

The Monster Girl's eyes landed on the gaping hole in Corane's chest. She lightly gasped.

"The holy power is infesting your body and soul, Little One." She tapped Corane's forehead and leant forwards, letting her hair fall onto Corane, entangling them. "If you don't treat it soon, your power might regress. Your mind might even be affected."

Knowing what to do, Corane hesitated but still yanked the Shadow Heart Fragment out of the necklace. Trembling, she handed it to the unknown Monster Girl, who smiled and took the Fragment.

"I love a smart Monster Girl like you. We are of the same origin and thus should help each other." The unknown Monster Girl nodded. "Let us introduce ourselves. I am Nupian, or as the Pure Races called me, Scourge of the Northern Snow."

Before Corane could express her shock, Nupian pressed her fingertips onto Corane's forehead and transferred a droplet of chill into Corane. The freezing power surged inside Corane, stagnating her blood flow, thought process, movement, and even perceptions.

Everything came to a halt. The world stood unblinking, except for the holy power, which struggled like crazy but failed to resist the might that be.

Corane collapsed onto the ground, panting, her healed chest rising and falling, her crystal wings shivering, tensing. The abrupt regeneration took a toll on her. It caused her to feel dizzy. Though the exhaustion lasted only a few moments, the itchiness it brought was unbearable.

"Lady Nupian," Corane said. "I've heard of your exalted fame. You are one of the strongest Monster Girls of this world, travelling wherever you want, whenever you want, without any resistance. But you have never left the Northern Continent. Is it because of the emergence of the Shadow Heart Core?"

"You are good at flattering, Little One." Nupian chuckled. "That is correct. The moment the Core emerged, I tried to pinpoint its location. All the clues lead me here, the Sinking Dark Forest. As a reward, do you want a kiss?"

Corane frantically shook her head. The name Scourge of the Northern Snow was one which the Pure Races had given to Nupian. Meanwhile, the Monster Girls gave her the title Enchantress of the White Night. Rumour had it that a kiss was all its take to fall for her, irresistibly, irreversibly.

As a Monster Girl one realm lower than Nupian, Corane wouldn't want to try the rumour, especially when Nupian's notorious deeds resounded throughout the Northern Continent. She was a player, a wicked Monster Girl that even other Monster Girls avoided.

"Lady Nupian, I'm grateful for your help, but I cannot accept your kiss." Corane lowered her head. "I have a friend who needs me; I must return to her."

"Undrila, right?" Nupian smirked. "She is a lovely one, isn't she? I'm starting to like her."

Corane was alarmed. Though she knew about Nupian, it was because Nupian was at the Solidification Phase, the stage whose fame resounded throughout the world. Corane, at the Condensation Phase, might be famous in the Central Continent, but she should not be well-known outside her circle.

"Lady Nupian, how did you know our humble name?" Corane wryly smiled. "Though we have made a little fame for ourselves, we don't think our names would spread to the Northern Continent."

"Indeed it has not, but that doesn't mean I can't know you." Nupian raised her index finger. "One tap on the forehead, and I already know you more than your friend does."

Sweats appeared on Corane's face as she thought about the implication of those words. Despite Nupian's charming smile, Corane could only see the wickedness radiating from that expression.

Who knew what else Nupian did when she touched Corane? Implanting enchantments? Distorting feelings? Everything was possible.

"Don't be so shocked," Nupian said. "Don't you have a friend to save?"

"Are you going to help me?"

"You’ve given me the Shadow Heart Fragment. If I don't help you, it would be unfair, right?" Nupian snapped her fingers. A stream of milky white energy seeped into Corane, rejuvenating her fatigue.

"Please tell me one thing. Before you meet me, have you seen a Condensation Phase Light Elemental?"

"You mean Sandoris?" The smile on Nupian's face widened. "I saved her. She's already left."

Corane noticed the strange air around Nupian but said nothing.

With her help, Undrila will have a chance at survival. So what if we need to give away the Shadow Heart Fragment? As long as we live, there will be more chances.

...

Amplicia stood alone. Her silvery air brightened the sky. The Archbishops and the two traitor Monster Girls circled her. They remained at a safe distance, spacing themselves slightly.

"Trilal, Lalit," Amplicia said, her voice hoarse. "Why did you betray us? Why did you side with the Divine, when you are one of us? The Divine will never accept you two!"

Trilal and Lalit panted, their faces turning paler and paler. The suffocating power of the peak Condensation Phase Monster Girl pressed onto their bodies, but they refused to bow to Amplicia and raised their heads to meet her gaze.

"We have never betrayed anyone," Trilal said.

"Our hearts are with the Seven Goddesses since the beginning," Lalit said.

"We have always been the devout believers of the Seven Goddesses." The two looked at the sky. "These bodies are the arrangement of our goddesses. We accept their decree without any regret."

"The arrangement," Amplicia said, "of the Divine?"

"That is correct. Everything will fall into their places." Trilal and Lalit made a prayer gesture. "Today, your death will mark the downfall of the Broken Empire."

"Even if I were to fall, I will bring you traitors down with me." Amplicia looked at the sky above and saluted. "Glory to the Broken Empire. May your reign be eternal!"

Without any regard for herself, Amplicia flew towards Trilal and Lalit. She tensed her arms and swung them at her chest. Her fingernails pierced through her body. A blinding ray of light burst forth. As it spread, cracks manifested on Amplicia, leaking out endless radiance, which submerged everything. The earth below became rigid and reflective, while the clouds above dissolved into shimmering droplets.

The Archbishops tried to stop Amplicia, but their speed and might could not compare to the suicidal Amplicia, who temporarily had the power of the Peak Condensation Phase Monster Girl.

They could only protect themselves under the Archbishop Robes when the silver light exploded. Even the Archbishop Robes failed to resist the full might of the silvery illumination, forcing the Archbishops to cast multitudes of spells just to defend themselves.

When the radiance faded and the world returned to peace, Amplicia had already vanished, taking with her Trilal and Lalit. The twin Rose Girls were already severely injured from the holy power they forcefully used and the assaults from other Monster Girls during the betrayal. They also lacked the artefacts and the defensive equipment.

"I'm a little late, aren't I?" Nupian said as she stepped out of the Shadow Plane with Corane. "Now, who’s going to play with me?"

It's playtime!


Special thanks to my patrons: Empress of Iron, Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, Linaith, and Primula Hope!

Like always, you can support me on Patreon, or visit my Discord!

11