Chapter 128: First Mission
356 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Iris placed down her quill and rearranged the scattered pages on her desk. After her notes became neat, she glanced to the side. Outside, soft yellow sunlight glowed. It peered into the window and glittered on the tucked curtains to the side, shimmering the quiet room with a sense of tranquillity, stability.

Iris got up and tidied herself. She wore thin orange pyjamas. Her skin shone under the silk fabric, taking in the refreshing morning breezes, which occasionally invited themselves into her room. Her bedroom was on the third floor, and she had set a few simple spell formations around it. No one could see her beauty without her permission.

It had been a week since Iris had officially become a senior member of the Court of Indulgence. During this peace, she spent her free time condensing and digesting the content memorised inside the Puppeteer Legacy Ground.

In the morning, she stayed with Ludmint and learned fine control over her spell and Corruption Power. In the afternoon, she went to the nearby libraries and read about the general knowledge and unusual pieces. After a few attempts, she found herself most comfortable in the nearest library, Auburn Leaf Library, in which Tundra was a part-time librarian.

In the evening, Iris returned to Ludmint and helped her with some experiments or exchanged some information. Towards midnight, Iris spent her time reading Speculative Divinity and writing notes about history. She also observed the stars in the sky, but she lacked the knowledge to predict their movements.

She only knew that her star was too far away; she could not connect with Flamira.

Unknowingly, I've digested another book worth of content. At this rate, it's going to take me a few more months to comprehend everything. However, this much knowledge is enough for me to become a historian. I should start drafting my first paper soon. With Ludmint as my editor, I'll be able to meet the requirement of most academic committees.

As Iris was contemplating her future path, a few knocks resounded. They were firm, rhythmic, yet playful, not something too serious or too carefree. Iris spun around and looked at the mirror. Though her appearance was alluring, she did not blush nor change her clothes.

It's too comfortable, and Ludmint won't mind. After all, we have to act like a couple. Letting her see a part of my charm is natural for a couple.

Iris giggled and walked to the door. After a week of living with Ludmint, Iris had accepted the situation and grown mischievous. Teasing Ludmint and getting teased by Ludmint were a part of her routine; it reminded her of her other friends, whom she could not see right now.

Maybe their spirits have finally influenced me. Well, if it makes me closer to them, I don't mind. Monster Girl I am, Monster Girl I'll be.

"Ludmint, why are you up so early?" Iris opened the door. "Did you not sleep again?"

Ludmint stared at Iris's revealing pyjamas and perked up. "I was feeling sleepy, but your beauty rejuvenated me; I can go without sleep for a few more days now."

"Go to sleep. You're so tired that you start to speak nonsense now." Iris sighed. "Though I can divine your safety for your void exploration, it's only for when you have sufficient rest and aren't reckless."

To repay Ludmint, Iris helped her in the void exploration experiment by casting the destiny spell to foretell any danger. Though she could only detect those below the Solidification Phase, she had helped Ludmint avoid multiple accidents and quickened the process.

"This time is different!" Ludmint fiddled her hair. "I promise I'll get more rest. My research has reached a critical point!"

"You also said that three days ago. If you keep this up, I won't divine for you anymore."

"Sister Iris, please!"

Panicking, Ludmint stepped forwards and grasped Iris's hands. She leaned on Iris and hugged gently, nuzzling Iris, rubbing her smooth, delicate body. Iris tensed up for a moment, then relaxed. She also embraced Ludmint, feeling the warmth and tingles.

"Shameless," Iris said. "If you target my weakness, how can I punish you?"

"On the contrary, you should reward me." Ludmint slowly moved away, smiling. "I didn't lie this time. My research has borne fruit."

"You lied to me the other times?"

"Don't focus on the insignificant matter." Ludmint faked coughing. "Let me show you my recent breakthrough. Don't worry; it's free. Your contribution is actually enough to become the co-author if I were to publish it."

"How flattering. I'll let you off the hook this time." Iris beamed. "However, you need to sleep more. Even if we Monster Girls are extraordinarily alluring, sleepless nights will still ruin your face."

"If you let me sleep with you, my sleep quality will approach infinity. Just a look at your figure is enough to revive me."

Iris led Ludmint into her bedroom and sat on the bed. Thankfully, I always clean up my room. If Ludmint came in and saw that the room was a mess, I would be too embarrassed and get teased.

After calming herself, Ludmint closed her eyes and raised her hands as if she were grasping at something. Her green Corruption Power coiled her fingers and seeped into the fabric of reality. Tiny cracks manifested.

"Voids Creatures, beings from nothing and nowhere, heeds my call," Ludmint said. "My messenger, you who rupture and reform, you who travel through the void undetected and space unhindered, appears before me!"

Above Ludmint's palms, a small rift opened. A Void Creature floated up. It was an aggregation of translucent bubbles, continuously rupturing and reforming. Inside the bubbles were mist-like eyeballs, which moved erratically and observed everything around them. The Void Creature stared at Iris, then at Ludmint, and hovered around Ludmint.

"You can summon a Void Creature as a messenger?" Iris circled the Void Creature, looking at it from different angles. "Is the incantation the requirement for this type of Void Creatures?"

Ludmint nodded. "I called them Eye Bubbles. They are fast, inconspicuous, and have an appreciable regenerative ability. Now, if you want to reach me when you're far away, you can summon this messenger and write a letter to me. With its speed, even if we're countries apart, it'll only take no more than a week to reach me."

"Let's test it." Iris went to her desk, wrote a sentence on a piece of note, and handed it to the Eye Bubble.

It stared at the paper for a few moments before its bubbles extended and engulfed the letter. It then turned around and moved to Ludmint, who reached inside the bubbles and pulled out the intact letter. After sending the letter, the Eye Bubble sank into the fabric of reality and merged back with the void.

"Dear Ludmint, what do you think your reward should be?" Ludmint read. She looked up and smiled. "Can I have a night?"

"You know the answer." Iris smiled back.

"What if I only sleep with you and won't do anything indecent?"

"There will be consequences if you go back on your words." Iris thought for a few seconds. "I'll trust you."

"Then, tonight, you can come to my room, or I to yours."

"Yours has a king-sized bed. Mine is too small for two Monster Girls."

"We can sleep cuddled."

"You won't be able to resist it." I won't be able to resist it. Don't test the devil inside yourself, Iris!

Ludmint smirked. "You don't have to worry. You'll fall asleep fast tonight. After all, today, you'll finally get to participate in a mission."

"A mission?" Iris's eyes flashed. "The Court of Indulgence finally has something for me to do?"

Ludmint went to sit on the bed and leaned her head on Iris's shoulder. "You're our newest senior member. Though you're still at the Transformation Phase, your circumstance and background are unique and precious. Your mission is to represent our will and contact a fallen noble family."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner? What's the detail? Is there anything I should keep in mind?"

"Iris, you're asking a lot." Ludmint chuckled. "I also just knew about this. It's an emergency meeting, so the chance of leaking information is minuscule.

"The fallen noble family you're meeting is the Babille Family. You're meeting the current Family Head, Gantil Babille. She is a relatively famous Master-Tier Pirate active in Yilon Archipelago. Her request is to obtain a poison antidote for her daughter, Mantil, from us.

"You don't have to worry. The one who poisoned Mantil is Two-Fold Wind Order. Gantil came to us because our Morbi, that senior member you met a week ago, specialises in poison and diseases."

Iris nodded. In the past week, she had grasped much common knowledge of the Eastern Continent.

Yilon Archipelago is one of the closest groups of islands near the mainland. Due to its special wave phenomena, it's also a treasure trove for ruins and legacies. Pirates and outlaws ran among in such place, with many riches and mystical items appearing and disappearing.

"What is our aim?" Iris said.

"Let Gantil eat a Seed of Corruption. That's our lower limit. If possible, build a friendly, even better if it's intimate, relationship with the Babille Family. Though they're a fallen noble family, their connection still proves useful to us, especially Gantil's. Her network in Yilon Archipelago will broaden our reach significantly."

"A Seed of Corruption?"

"Our speciality, created by our founder," Ludmint said, her voice eager. "It's imbued with Corruption Power. Like a time bomb, we can detonate it, and it will corrupt its host, turning her into a Monster Girl! Of course, the purification magic can dispel it if it's yet to detonate, but the host will also lose their amplified beauty and charm."

"It sounds evil. How hard is it to detect its presence?"

"If the host wishes to expose it, it'll be detectable. Otherwise, it is nigh-undetectable." Ludmint sighed. "To avoid detection, the amount of Corruption Power inside is also little. To a Master Tier and above, a Seed of Corruption will only arouse them, unless they let it corrupt them."

Iris nodded. Even as a Monster Girl, I feel relieved when the seeds aren't too effective. If they had no such limitation, the Court of Indulgence would have sold them as beauty supplements and turned all noble ladies into Monster Girls! Another Broken Empire will surface, and I'll see more beautiful Monster Girls beside me.

Don't even think about it. Iris shook her head. "When is the meeting? I need to get prepared. It's my first time, after all."

"Do you need a hug to cure your anxiety?" Ludmint grasped Iris's hand. "Two in the afternoon. We'll go to our secret place around one. From there, a carriage will drive you to the meeting location."

Once Iris and Ludmint finished discussing, Ludmint bid farewell and left Iris inside her room to tidy herself. Iris couldn't hide her smile at the thought of representing a Secret Organisation and dealing with a noble family, acting mysterious and all-knowing.

This will be my first mission as a member of the Court of Indulgence. Even if Ludmint and others have accepted me, I still need to put in my all. I must not let them down. Everything will be perfect; I'll show them how capable I am!

Now, before everything, I need to take a bath and change my clothes. I'll be there not to seduce but to make a transaction. I need to keep up the profound atmosphere, and it starts with neatness and cleanliness!

After a few moments of contemplation, Iris took off her pyjamas and wrapped herself with a towel. She went out of the room, passed Ludmint's bedroom, in which Ludmint was sleeping, smiled at its door, then entered the bathroom. She mumbled a hymn of happiness as she cleansed her body, immersing herself in the cold water and warm air.

What, then, should I prepare? Iris smiled as her thoughts scattered and converged into a specific image.

Preparing for the first mission!


Special thanks to my patrons: Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, Linaith, and Primula Hope!

Like always, you can support me on Patreon, or visit my Discord!

10