Chapter 167: Prime Archive
197 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Iris exited her home, a soothing perfume followed her. It permeated her body, imbued her silky skin, and enveloped her pinkish silhouette. Her disposition radiated softness like a princess who stood before her clandestine partner. She appeared meek, yet no one could look down on her.

While reminiscing, she touched her engagement ring. The cold sensation comforted her. Everything felt different after the proposal. She was now Ludmint’s fiancée, Ludmint’s authentic, heartfelt lover.

If I didn’t need to visit the Prime Archive, I might not be able to leave. Iris chuckled. It’s bad; she’s gotten me. I fear the new height she’ll push for, and I fear more how much more I’ll allow her. Is it too late to flee?

Prime Archive was not too far nor too near. As the only passenger in the carriage, Iris leaned on the window, viewing the shifting streets and visitors. All were oblivious to her, a Monster Girl capable of upending their continuation.

Their existence depended on illusory stability.

Like them, she too was fragile when compared to the truly powerful. Though she had the protection of the Court, she couldn’t rely on her friends forever.

She was supposed to be the protector, not the protected. She had to grasp all opportunities she could, and the first step was to visit Prime Archive, to hopefully find valuable information regarding Pale Tempest Ocean.

When she alighted the carriage, a large, monumental building greeted her. It reminded her of the pagoda treehouse within the Labyrinth of Love, but this architecture was vastly more majestic and well-built. The stone bricks, mixed with the glowing crystals and lush vines, composed an atmosphere solemn yet comforting.

It was the place for scholars and the likes to contribute and obtain knowledge, yet it was also a place for tourism.

Six floors, six privilege levels. When I become a member of Prime Archive, I’ll be able to access the second floor. But now, as a visitor, I can only walk the first.

It was terrible, a shackle that bound her knowledge. Unable to do anything, she repressed her annoyance and went to a receptionist. Though primary a library, Prime Archive was more like a massive hotel, with luxurious areas and faculties.

The receptionist, a pretty lady dressed in a maid-like uniform but with a sleek look, flashed a radiant smile befitting the professional. Even the standard employees of the place worked with grace. As expected of the imperial family.

“Esteemed Lady, how may I help you?” The receptionist observed Iris’s demeanour, scent, and appearance before adjusting her behaviour.

Cute. Ludmint would be jealous if I told her about this girl. “Today is my first time. I would like a visitor pass and a guide to tour me around. Will you help me?”

“Of course, Esteemed Lady.” The receptionist took out a golden card and presented it to Iris. “Please take my identity card. For the duration of your stay, I’ll fulfil your requests to the best of my ability. If you need anything, please press firmly on the card, and our teams will arrange everything for you.”

“All my requests?” Iris tilted her head.

“Yes.” The lady looked at Iris, lowered her head slightly, and smiled. Her determined eyes revealed nothing but respect. “Your satisfaction is our job.”

Iris fell silent. She didn’t expect the receptionist to answer with such eagerness. Had her perfume been exceptionally effective?

“Please take good care of me,” Iris said. “When shall we begin?”

“Please follow me to make your visitor pass. Is there someone who recommends you?”

Iris opened her mouth but stopped herself. Jania was of high nobility; if Iris announced her arrival, she might fail to catch Jania again. As someone of similar birth, Iris wouldn’t allow another failure.

Her pride wouldn’t allow it.

“A friend of mine told me, so I decided to visit. Reading has been one of the hobbies to which I keep coming back.”

The receptionist didn’t inquire further. She led Iris through tall double gates, on whose sides stood two guards in the knight uniforms, one male, another female. They greeted the visitors but remained in their place, their posture firm and steady despite having been standing there for hours.

At least Official Knight, and they’re just the front guards. Just how powerful is the imperial family? Will a Grandmaster be overlooking here?

Reaching the customer service section, the receptionist opened the crystal door and led Iris through. Inside, Iris conversed with the archivists, who recorded her history, appearance, and a few essential details. They efficiently worked, and in a few minutes Iris spent chatting with the few free attendants, they finished her visitor pass.

After paying a few months’ worths of income for a middle-class worker, Iris returned to her guide with her visitor pass. There were a life-like engravement of her silhouette, a few basic information, and the date of registry on the card.

“Esteemed Lady, before we begin our tour, is there anything I could help with?” the receptionist said.

“Call me Iris. There is one thing.”

The receptionist straightened her back.

Iris leaned forward, holding the pass between her fingers. “I need to know your name. I refuse to remember you only as my guide.”

“To call you by name is too presumptuous, but please allow me to address you as Lady Iris.” The receptionist took a step back, maintaining her distance. “My name is Zici Monalin. You can address me as Zici.”

“Zici, a lovely name.” Iris nodded. “Let’s not waste our precious time. We shall rediscover the wonder of knowledge together.”

“As you wish,” Zici said, chuckling.

Following Zici, Iris walked through the massive complex, whose interior morphed and diverged as if it were a portal to alternated realities. Each sector of Prime Archive, divided by the general topic of the books, presented to the visitors its unique design: oriental, futuristic, rural, ancient, and imperial.

From the ruinous world of the history section to the aroma-filled world of the cutlery section, Iris experienced dimensions after dimensions, and not once had she found herself bored. It was a fantasy world within a fantasy world, something that dazzled even Iris, who had seen many a great view.

As the guide, Zici patiently explained the concepts of the sectors and recommended some of the most admired books within reach. Despite Iris’s numerous questions, Zici smiled through everything and clarified her words, gaining Iris’s admiration.

Compared to the naive, clumsy Tundra, Zici was a league above with her mature charm.

“If the first floor is already this diverse, what is on the second floor and beyond?” Iris said. “I’ve been to multiple libraries and archives, but I have not once seen anything as comprehensive as this place.”

“The Prime Archive is a collective effort of our great ancestors from the olden time to the present imperial family.” Zici led Iris into a restaurant. “However, we dare not claim the title of the greatest. Even within the Garcient Kingdom, the Vault of Scripture is a strong contender, let alone the mythical Tower of the Hallowed.”

“To be able to look up to Tower of the Hallowed is a feat of colossal proportion.” Iris shook her head. “If only we could see its regal glimmer, even if from a distance.”

“And the mythic pink sky and crystalised rain of youth? Sometimes I wonder if these myths were mere stories. Perhaps only the Deities know what happened during the Mythwalker Era.” Zici sighed, getting rid of her overrun emotions. “Apology for that tangent. I shall answer your question now; the second floor and above are similar to the first floor, though the knowledge will be increasingly more advanced and in-depth.”

“Unfortunately, most of the ordinary people will never get to see them.” Iris walked to sit on a cosy chair and gestured for Zici to sit opposite her. “We’ve been walking and talking for a while. Let us dine our fill.”

Zici rested with her hands on her lap, her back straightened, her lips smiling. “There is no need—”

“You’re of great help.” Iris took out the golden card. “It’s only natural for me to treat you well. You’ll ruin my experience if you’re tired and hungry. You don’t want me to complain, do you?”

“You tease, Lady Iris.” Zici wryly smiled as she called for a waitress. “Please get me—”

“If what you have are less than what I order, there is no need to continue our tour.” Iris received the menu from the waitress and handed it to Zici. “Look through it carefully and choose your favourite.”

With a wicked smile, Iris watched Zici go through the myriad desserts. Many times, she almost slipped and chose the cheaper end of the deals, but the gleams in Iris’s eyes penetrated her thoughts. She had to follow her heart, or she would regret it.

After ordering a few modest yet appetising plates, she handed the menu to Iris, who took it, glanced at it a few moments, and handed it to the waitress.

“Esteemed Lady, will you not look at the menu?” The waitress blinked.

“I’ve already made up my mind.” Iris leaned backwards and ordered her dessert, some of them specific, some mundane, and a few the same as Zici’s.

“Please wait a few minutes; we’ll get your order ready immediately.” The waitress frantically wrote down the order and went to the counter before coming back with a few desserts and fruits. “Meanwhile, please rinse your mouth with our free plates.”

Once the waitress went away, Iris picked a cookie and nibbled on it. Its sweetness simmered in her mouth, and she let out a satisfying sigh. Zici, too, took a piece of sliced melon and ate it.

“Zici, I wonder: there are many guards regularly patrolling the Prime Archive; important officials must have come here frequently, right?”

Zici nodded while peeling an orange. “A few people of importance regularly visit us. However, their identities are confidential.”

Iris waved her hands. “I have no intention of visiting them. Compared to their high-maintenance life, I very much prefer this style.”

“I wish I could think like you, Lady Iris. I, too, must learn to appreciate what I have.” Zici picked a piece of orange and handed it to Iris. “Please accept my gratitude. If you refuse, I’ll count it as my negligence.”

“Using my method against me, you’re brave.” Iris grasped Zici’s hand and bit gently the orange. Her lips lightly grazed Zici’s skin. “Thank you for the flavour.”

“These fruits and cookies are all yours, Lady Iris. You only gifted them to me, and I merely repaid your kindness.”

As Iris was about to reply, she furrowed her brows. Though there was no commotion, she detected hints of intimidation, subtle suppression. The restaurant, once filled with chattering, gradually quietened. When the old customers left, many new pairs came in and occupied their seats.

They appeared unrelated, but their occasional eye contact betrayed their familiarity. Their positions, though inconspicuous, formed a formation that could easily obstruct anyone from moving in and out of the restaurant.

As she was in the middle of the Prime Archive, Iris dared not explode with her Corruption Power. She could only sit and watch while preparing to protect her Zici.

While surveying for an escape route, a fond scent attracted her attention. She slowly turned around, and there Jania was, entering the restaurant, smiling.

The wild Jania appeared (again)!


Special thanks to my patrons: Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, Linaith!

Like always, you can support me on Patreon, or visit my Discord!

7