Chapter 172: Meeting Her Highness
220 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Iris narrowed her eyes. Though the concealment spell was still working, the methods of the Broken Empire was beyond her understanding. She couldn’t guarantee that there was no mighty presence staring at her soul.

“Her Highness calls for this lowly me?” Iris tilted her head. “Her Highness rarely invites me, but she always informs me in advance.”

“It is a matter of grave importance, Lady Iris.” The Monster Girl butler turned to Pallorn, who was fixing her soaked, messy clothes. “My apology for interrupting your moment.”

“We’ve already finished.” Pallorn licked her fingers. “But we require some time to cleanse ourselves. Will Her Highness allow us?”

“I dare not speculate, but Her Highness is magnanimous.”

Iris lowered her head. “Please inform Her Highness of our trouble and tell my family to go to the dining hall. I shall make myself presentable in the meantime.”

“As you will, Lady Iris.” The butler deeply bowed and left.

Iris and Pallorn carefully closed the door and locked it. Their gazes met, and their thoughts grew still. Their silent regret flooded the room and, despite their intangible appearance, stuffed the atmosphere with suffocatingly viscous air.

“It’s unusual,” Pallorn said.

“Such is life. We cannot control it, yet we must follow it.” Iris sighed. “Let’s bathe. We don’t have much time.”

“Are you afraid of their knowing our little affair?”

“I am . . . not theirs. And they know we are intimate. You and they are families. We are family.”

“Fear it is not, but shame it is,” Pallorn said. “They would have asked to join if they knew; you fear your answer.”

Iris stared at Pallorn and then ignored her. She undressed and went to the bathroom attached to the bedroom, sinking herself under a pool of warm milky liquid. Not long after, Pallorn also entered. They washed each other under the blurry steam.

When they emerged from the haze, their bodies radiated cleanliness. They took excellent care of their skins, which glowed like smooth marble under the brilliant light. Iris sniffed the back of her right hand. Pallorn’s lovely, sweet scent was no longer there.

“Is it my scent for which you long?” Pallorn said. “I can give you more, forevermore.”

“And I will revoke your privilege to enter my room.” Iris narrowed her eyes. “I’ve been neglecting my other sisters because of you. I have more reasons to dump you and compensate them.”

“Unfortunately, I am the only one who knows your secret, the only one with whom you confine your worries.”

“It’s your fortune but my misfortune. However, if you tell others, it will cease to be what connects us.”

“Of course, my Goddess. I am yours; I would never betray you.”

“Even if before me is Lilith herself?”

Pallorn mulled over her decision, but she failed to make up her mind. Iris shook her head. She expected more resistance, or a deflection as a joke, but Pallorn seriously considered the choices and didn’t reject it immediately.

“Thanks, Pallorn.” Iris leaned on Pallorn and kissed her cheek. “For your dedication.”

“I would go through the world for you, my Goddess.”

“Now, your motive is impure.” Iris wrapped herself under her soft towel and opened the bathroom door.

In her messy bedroom, a group of Monster Girls walked around. With curious gleams in their eyes, they inspected every little thing they found, trying to find evidence of Iris’s sin.

Lenmia, the only one sitting on the bed, looked at Iris. “You sure know how to enjoy yourself, Iris.”

Everyone had already gathered, but it was way faster than Iris anticipated. “I . . . didn’t expect you to come to me this quickly. Did she not tell you all to meet up at the dining hall?”

“She told us you were with Pallorn,” Lenmia smirked. “How can we miss your little rendezvous?”

“Sister Iris,” Reta said, her eyes teary. “You rarely play with us anymore. I want to play with you more, but you always have something to do with Pallorn. Are we not cute enough?”

Varda bit her lips and lowered her head. “Iris, Sister Iris, you . . . made me like this. You . . . must take responsibility.”

Facing these eyes, Iris couldn’t bring herself to dismiss their dissatisfaction. She indeed had been neglecting them, not because she hated them, but because she was busy preparing herself. If she could tell them, she would have already done so. But it would be selfish and dangerous. She couldn’t let them know her plan.

If she failed, she would fail alone. Their lives wouldn’t be affected, except for the transient grief she would bring. It was a risk she had to take.

“I didn’t neglect you, willingly, at least. I’ve been superbly busy; if I could, I would have stayed with you at all times.” Iris clenched her fists. Her cheeks reddened. “You . . . won’t blame me, right?”

“No. We blame you, and you will have to compensate us a lot, a lot.” Dulcie walked to Iris and grasped her arms, tickling her soft flesh. “You’re most unfair. Pallorn and you have been staying together for too long. What about us, your most precious family?”

Iris opened her mouth, yet no words worked their way out of her throat. She didn’t want to lie to them, but she also didn’t want to tell them her reason. “I . . . there is something that requires her help. Only Pallorn can do it.”

“Is it dangerous?” Lenmia narrowed her eyes. She ignored Iris and turned to Pallorn. “Pallorn, are you doing something you shouldn’t?”

Pallorn flapped her wings. “Eldest Sis, I know what I’m getting into; Iris and I aren’t in danger. I always make sure of such.”

“I already told you!” Iris pouted.

“And I don’t believe you.” Lenmia pointed at her own heart. “I’m the first to meet you and the first to learn your character. You’re lovely and honest, but your understatement about your situation is a constant.”

“I would not place myself in excessive danger. I would never hurt your feeling!”

“Your definition of excess is worrying. I reckon you’ll only consider such when you reach the point of despair.” Lenmia moved to Iris, standing too close to her. “Am I right?”

“Why would I be such a fool?”

“Because love blinds,” Tardi said. “Though your eyes aren’t in the shape of the heart, your blushes are visible, Sister Iris.”

“Tardi, you’re teasing your elder sister.” Iris pointed at Tardi, who stuck out her tongue. “You betray me.”

“You take away my sister first, Sister Iris. I want Big Sis back.”

“Tardi, I’m sorry, but I have—” As Pallorn tried to explain herself, Iris clapped her hands.

“We should no longer delay Her Highness’s meeting. She’s never requested our presence so abruptly before. It must be of great importance. Our . . . quarrel can wait.”

Varda coiled around herself and grabbed her tail, playing with the tip. “I agree with Sister Iris. We shouldn’t . . . bully her.”

The rest of the family looked at Lenmia. Their large, lovely eyes pleaded for forgiveness for Iris. Lenmia could only reluctantly drop the matter.

“This time, you slip away because of them, but if you don’t cherish their affection, there will be a day where they feel you need to be punished,” Lenmia said.

Iris lifted her hand and showed her pinky finger. “Will my measly promise be enough?”

“Your promise is most sweet, Iris.” Lenmia licked Iris’s fingers. “Sweet indeed.”

Iris blushed, but she didn’t struggle. Before the atmosphere turned strange, Lenmia separated from Iris and went out of the room.

Forced to stay in the middle of the group, Iris endured, or enjoyed, the teasings of her family. Her guilt prevented her from resisting. Her desire, too, convinced her to accept the punishment. It was compensation for her selfishness, something she must do. Why defied it?

It was a long walk that felt short. Iris reached the main hall with her face flushed, her chest burning. She inhaled and exhaled, extinguishing the flame in her heart, but she couldn’t do so fast enough. Still, no one stared at her; all were familiar with such a scene.

The two Monster Girl guards opened the gate. Golden light seeped through the creaks, illuminating the dim corridor with a bright, lively atmosphere. Inside the main room, a few Monster Girls cladded in royal guard armours stood along the line of purple carpet. Their discipline radiated the might of the fallen imperial family.

The Second Princess sat on the diamond throne. Her elegant dress glittered under the flickering lantern light, its loose tail flowing down the stairsteps. Despite her petite silhouette, she appeared aloof; her monumental aura enveloped the entire room, compelling all Monster Girls to prostrate before her.

“We greet Your Royal Highness.” Lenmia bowed. Everyone followed.

“There is no need for such formality.” The Second Princess nodded. “You may rise. Make yourself comfortable. I stand before you not as royalty, but as an ally of a Monster Girl.”

“How could we lower you to our status, Your Highness?” Lenmia said. “We are your subjects, the citizens of the Broken Empire.”

“The glory of The Empire resides with its people.” The Second Princess stood up and descended the throne. “The Divine Empire of the past served the people of light, but light itself banished us. Now, the Broken Empire serves the people of darkness!”

“The Divine Empire for the Divine. The Broken Empire for the Broken.” Iris lifted her head and stepped forward, overtaking Lenmia. “Your Highness, you hold supreme authority over the Broken Empire, along with Her Majesty the Empress, but there is something I found strange.”

The Second Princess’s profound azure eyes gleamed in faint, indescribable light. Her dignified demeanour turned gentle. “Iris, please voice your curiosity.”

Lenmia and others held their breaths as they watched Iris, unable to find any way to stop her.

Iris flashed a bright smile. “Forgive my impudence, but even the Empress is a Monster Girl, but why are you, the darkest jewel of The Empire, of Pure Race?”

The imperial guards gripped their weapons. Their stirring Corruption Power distorted the atmosphere. A suffocating pressure permeated the main hall, threatening to strike down all who disrespect the Second Princess.

Lenmia raised her hand, frowning. Before she could do anything, a powerful gush swept the hall, dissipating the oppression. Tranquillity returned amidst the stillness. The imperial guards fell to their knees, their faces pale, shuddering.

“How dare you threaten our Iris?” The Second Princess’s voice was cold, unlike when she spoke to Iris. “Her status is akin to mine. If anyone blemishes her, not only them but their relative and superior will have to face the consequences.”

Iris narrowed her eyes. “I . . . do not take offence, Your Highness. They are the capable soldiers of The Empire. Their job is to secure your dignity. Please do not chastise them for doing their duties.”

“If you wish so.” The Second Princess giggled. Her gentle demeanour returned. “You all may rise. But if you reveal any disrespect toward Iris and her family, your status as the imperial guards will be no more.”

The imperial guards shouted their gratitude and got up. Their manners instilled security and confidence into the room once more.

As Iris opened her mouth, the Second Princess raised her hand. “Before you ask any further, let us change our location. The main hall is for those who wish to see the imperial family, but I am not meeting you as one. How about we indulge ourselves a little?”

Princess Iris?


Special thanks to my patrons: Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, Linaith!

Like always, you can support me on Patreon, or visit my Discord!

7