Chapter 177: Business Partner
187 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Multiple carriages, each with their distinct design indicating their backgrounds, came to a stop. The passengers of various conducts and races got out. They headed toward the entrance of the auction house in groups, though their gazes occasionally inspected others.

Amidst the crowd, a group of beautiful ladies stood out. Iris, the leader of the Monster Girls and their female attendants, walked in the middle of the formation, dictating the rhythm and pace. Despite her inconspicuous attire, her appearance invited gazes. Her subordinates, notably Secain and Lorient, stuck close to her as if she were a princess of a foreign country, elegantly fragile, needing protective and endearing care.

It was a rare opportunity to see such a large group of Monster Girls, though disguised as Pure Races, walking carefreely. Under the help of The Court’s enigmatic mean, even Monster Girls of the Metamorphosis Phase could disguise themselves; unless probed by a sensitive artefact, these disguises would go undetected.

Monster Girls of The Court could be anywhere at any time, and few people could find their traces.

“Secain, have you been treating Barineer well?” Iris said.

“Her talent awes me, Lady Iris. She’s already absorbed and adapted to our teaching. Her body is yours to use; mine too, if you were to grant me a chance.”

Iris glanced at Secain, who hid her embarrassed face from Iris’s view. “Is my gift good enough?”

“The dagger you’ve given me is my most exquisite one yet. And a few techniques I learned from Barineer allow me to use it effectively. Please command me; I won’t ever disappoint you!”

“Are you afraid that Barineer might take your position?”

“My only fear is your disappointment, Lady Iris.”

“Are you expecting a reward?” Iris smiled. “Do you not fear the jealousy of other Court members?”

The other Court members scrutinised Iris’s every movement while holding their breaths. Though they weren’t Iris’s direct subordinates, they still desired Iris’s favour, for she was one of the legendary senior members.

Knowing their thoughts, Secain grinned and took Iris’s right arm. “Their jealousy will push them to try harder. I’m doing this for The Court, so please reward me a lot.”

Iris tilted her head toward Secain and bit her earlobe, leaving a pink mark on her earlobe. “The mark can be redeemed when the auction ends. You may get more if you work hard.”

Secain took a step back, her cheeks flushed. Blood rushed to her face, turning her neck pink. Behind her, the other Court members looked at each other, surprised and excited.

While they were thinking about the attractive reward, Iris admired the auction house. Unlike the monotonous stone buildings in the surrounding, the Crystal Theatre exuded a magical aura that served as the gate into the fantastical world. The outside couldn’t peer in, and the inside couldn’t sneak out.

When Iris entered the Crystal Theatre, she noticed a subtle difference in the air, in the flow of magic. The influence of the Grand Formation was nil. It couldn’t spy nor interfere with anything within the Crystal Theatre.

Iris handed her invitation letter to a receptionist and followed her to a luxurious lounge, where other special guests came to relax. After she dismissed her subordinates, leaving only Lorient and Secain by her side, she strolled around the lounge. Her eyes swept from a golden statue to a magical projection and finally rested on a group of Beastkins resting near a large pool.

A muscular Beastkin in the middle of the group detected her. His sharp eyes locked onto her. The two maintained their intense eye contact before the Beastkin averted his gaze and walked over.

As his firm footsteps echoed, the surrounding quietened. Most attention gathered around Iris and the Beastkin, eagerly waiting for their exchange. This arrogant Beastkin had a temper; anyone who annoyed him had to deal with his vulgarity.

“Are you the messenger?” He stretched out his right hand. “Give me the scroll.”

Frowning, Secain reached for a dagger in her back pocket. Lorient raised her right hand and clenched it into a fist. While her subordinates prepared themselves to strike down the Beastkin, Iris lightly shook her head, halting their actions.

“Must I read aloud its content?” Iris said. “Within this scroll contains—”

“You dare!” The Beastkin’s thunderous voice faintly shook the ground.

“I dare.” Iris beamed. “Only the representative of your Suppression Sect can converse with me. You are not worthy.”

“Witch, if you refuse to shut—” The Beastkin shuddered. His legs gave up. He collapsed to his knees, his face pale.

Though Iris spoke not a single incantation, she still had other tricks. She roused her Mind Breaker bloodline, using its superior qualitative power to suppress the tainted-blood Beastkin in front of her.

To the Beastkins, this suppression was nigh-absolute.

“Esteemed Guest, please forgive my underling,” a feminine voice resounded.

Arcs of flames spewed out from the torches decorating the lounge. They assembled into a lady in a crimson-feathered dress. Her short orange hair swayed like magma while her pupils burned with golden sparks.

She swung at the trembling Beastkin. Her frail arm sent him flying, hitting the wall, though it also dispelled the bloodline suppression which threatened to suffocate him.

“Will you blame me for teaching your subordinate on your behalf?” Iris said. “His words may sour our cooperation.”

The lady lowered her head. “He deserved it. His disrespectful behaviour has disgraced our Suppression Sect. I hope you will give us a chance to mend this mistake.”

“I’m a mere Transformation Phase Monster Girl while you’re a powerful Grandmaster. How could I still feel upset after your apology?”

The lady silently met Iris’s eyes, which revealed no apprehension.

“My arrogance has made a fool out of me.” The lady opened her palm. A burst of flame appeared and dispersed, revealing two bottles of herbal pills and a vial containing glittering blue blood. “Please accept my compensation.”

Iris smiled but didn’t retrieve the items. Her gaze lingered on the arrogant Beastkin before shifting to the representative, who slightly lowered her head, expressing her respect to The Court and Iris.

“May I know what they are?” Iris said.

“The Surging Vein Pills are precious medicine which could significantly boost the power of a Transformation Phase Monster Girl when consumed. Their only side effect is intense fatigue after their effect wore off.

“The Blood Ignition Vial is created by the blood of a Mythical Creature, Underworld Wanderer. The quality of their bloodline is higher than the Mind Breaker’s. It can strengthen your innate talent. This vial is the most suitable treasure for you, Esteemed Lady.”

Iris gestured at Lorient, who stepped forward and took the compensation. “I’m Iris of the Court of Indulgence.”

“My name is Kasbin of the Suppression Sect.” Kasbin raised her head. “Is the compensation enough?”

Iris nodded. “Shall we return to our business?”

Kasbin took a step back and snapped her fingers. Rings of flames rose and bound the arrogant Beastkin, pulling him toward Iris and forcing his head down.

“Thank Lady Iris for her compassion,” Kasbin said. “If not for her benevolence, your head would’ve been rolling on the carpet.”

The Beastkin trembled. He was about to speak when Iris giggled. “Let us not dwell on a meaningless quarrel. I’m not that petty.”

“Then I shall deal with him according to our laws.” Kasbin turned around and instructed the other Beastkins to take away the sinner. “Shall we make haste to my room?”

“I have no objection.”

Iris and her two followers followed Kasbin. They headed to the premium room area and passed a few groups of Evil Cults and even one group of the orthodox forces, though they pretended not to see each other.

Kasbin knocked firmly on the door, her expression solemn. The Beastkins inside opened the door, revealing the jungle-aesthetic room. Vines and flowers hung from the ceiling, clinging to the stone pillars and wooden beams.

In a small pond in the middle of the room, a bare-chested Beastkin submerged himself under the bubbling hot spring. The other Beastkins appeared modest and respectful toward him.

When Iris and her followers stepped into the room, the Beastkin opened his eyes. Staring at Iris, he smiled, got up, and raised his hands. Two female Beastkins dried his body before dressing him in a large overcoat and animalistic cape. His short brown hair complemented his fierce look, amplifying his dark pupils.

“Has The Court finally sent me a beauty?” he said. “Finally, someone worthy of my attention. If you join us, we’ll offer you whatever you want.”

Iris frowned but said nothing. Kasbin merely sighed, shaking her head.

“Leader, please behave yourself,” she said.

“Why should I restrain myself when faced with such a rare opportunity.”

“Our relationship with The Court requires your modesty. Please don’t create any more mess for me.” Kasbin glared at the leader, her eyes flaring up.

“If you said so.” The leader turned to Iris. “It seems you’ve disciplined my warrior, but your method is too gentle. If you don’t keep them in line, they’ll act up again.”

“He was obedient to Lady Kasbin, but despite her reign, he still slighted me.” Iris covered her mouth with her hand and tilted her head. “Either her authority is fragile, or someone else instructed him to test me.”

The leader ceased his smile. “Charming and intelligent, as expected of the representative of The Court. Indeed, I commanded him to observe you, but his arrogance got the best of him.”

Before Iris could speak, Secain stepped in front of her. “Lady Iris might be forgiving, but The Court won’t ignore your blatant disrespect. Please give us an explanation, or I’ll have to report the moment to the other senior members.”

Lorient also raised her hands. The vines and flowers in the room faintly trembled, responding to her innate talent. Though the Beastkins were superior in both number and strength, Lorient didn’t falter. She placed her trust in Iris, who didn’t stop the two.

Aside from Kasbin and the leader, the other Beastkins, most of whom were at Master-Tier, tensed their bodies. Their bloodline powers oozed out of their bodies, threatening to rupture in a bloodbath. They bared their fangs and claws. Their hostile airs thickened.

The Beastkin leader grunted. His hoarse voice froze other Beastkins. Their explosive powers stiffed, lessened, and dissipated. They lowered their heads, some falling on their bottoms.

“This time,” the leader of the Beastkins said, “I didn’t instruct them to test you. Please forgive them. Their bloodlines influence their temperament; they require more training to control their emotions.”

“The meaning of the Suppression Sect is quite cute,” Iris said. “For Kasbin, I’ll pretend not to see anything. Secain, Lorient, you two will never betray me, right?”

Secain and Lorient bowed and retreated to behind Iris, smiling.

The leader looked at the smug Kasbin and then sighed. “I shall leave the business to Kasbin then.”

Kasbin guided Iris to a small section curtained away from the rest of the room. Inside, only Iris, Kasbin, Secain, and Lorient remained.

“Lady Iris, may I examine the scroll now?”

A little conflict for a little tension!


Special thanks to my patrons: Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, Linaith!

Like always, you can support me on Patreon, or visit my Discord!

8