24: An Unexpected Visit
1.1k 12 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I lay atop my bed staring blankly at the ceiling. Had I connected the dots earlier would today have played out any differently?

'No,' I shook my head. 'It would not.'

The charge was short-lived, ending anticlimactically with a few aerial and long-ranged attacks from George's Pokémon. We decisively chose to end our mission then and there, to return to Fiore, lest the howls had alerted members of the main pack.

By the time we arrived, it was early afternoon. After waving off concerned trainers at the gate and a brief check-up at the nearest hospital where I drank a nasty-tasting medicine. Although nothing had been broken, George was adamant in me taking a rest while he took care of the mission pokeballs.

So that's what I did.

After healing my Pokémon using the healing system in the Centre and switching Beleric out for Synin, I returned to my apartment, took a shower, and exchanged dirty clothes with fresh, clean ones.

I had no worries that George would pocket the money since the mission is registered under both our names. I checked.  Furthermore, patrolling trainers had seen us exiting and entering the southeastern gate together so his reputation would take hit if he did so.

Still, George was right. I nearly did a Bradley there. Without his timely intervention, I would have suffered potentially heavy losses. I had half in mind to burn down the forest using Incinerate to notify my position, a SOS for help.

I know not how I managed to knife the beast in the eyes. Only that I had no regrets. Aside from the initial dread where I froze up and the slight discomfort in my stomach, I felt nothing.

Still, what exactly is this strange yet – *Knock knock* –­­­­ I groaned and got up. Zatanna just rolled over, taking over the spot I was on. I just shook my head at her and went to the door passing Synin's perch. He cocked his head curiously as I opened the door half-naked without a top.

From the hallway a beautiful blond woman stood with a dainty girl behind her. "Young man! That is not how I tau-!" I shut the door and galvanised into action, dressing up properly, making sure that my studio was presentable, hiding away the materials that needed to be hidden away etc.

Surprise visits from your parents/ legal guardians were the worst. Like University all over again.

I opened the door and sure enough, Aunt Helena stood outside mostly unimpressed through her cheeks, oddly enough, were a bit red. Rosa stood behind her trying her utmost to stifle her giggles which is to say badly. I invited them in eagerly, closing the door behind them and directed them to the living room, warning the lass not to touch Synin's feathers lest she get bitten.

Grabbing a few chairs from the kitchen area, the clamour woke up the sleepy fox next room. When I had finished setting up the chairs, Zatanna was already in Rosa's lap.

Traitor.

"What are you doing here in the trainer district?" I asked.

"I was fed up with all your excuses about why you couldn't visit us," she retorted. "I decided if you wouldn't visit us then we would. There is no law that says civilians can't come to the trainer district. I went to the Centre and asked about you. They gave me your address. You should have told me you have your own apartment. I would have helped you move in."

I did not expect that. She was right about there not being a law preventing civilians from visiting the trainer districts. I certainly did not expect her to work up the courage to visit me here.

"Do you want something to drink?" I managed to say. "I have water or milk."

"I'll take some milk," Rosa finally spoke up.

"Water will be fine," her mother said.

I went into the kitchen and got drinks for them. I poured some tap water for my aunt and a glass of milk for Rosa. I brought their drinks over and carefully placed it in front of them.

"Thank you," Aunt Helena said.

"Yeah, thanks," Rosa said, immediately taking a sip.

"...So," I said. "How are you? Everything still okay at home?"

Aunt Helena frowned. Rosa just kept her eyes on Zatanna, absentmindedly stroking her fur.

"What?" I asked. "What's wrong?"

My aunt sighed. "I need to know what happened between the two of you," she said finally.

"Oh that," I said casually. "We just had a small disagreement. Nothing serious."

"Nothing serious?" she exclaimed. "I didn't buy any of your excuses about why you didn't have the time to visit us, and I didn't buy any of his excuses about why he hasn't spoken to you since your last visit, Dexter. I need to know what happened."

Since she was here now, I didn't see any point in hiding it any further. I told her everything that happened that day and the agreement we made. She listened to me without making any comment, but I could see her eyes grow cold as I spoke. Once I was done, she sat quietly for a moment.

"I thought it was something like that," she said finally. "To think he would put you through that. Wait until I get home. He and I are going to have a long talk."

"Don't," I said. "I don't want any problems between you. Just let it go."

"I will not let it go," she said. "As part of the family, he should support you no matter what. I will not stand by and watch him put you through anymore hardships just because he is afraid of you."

"Afraid of me?"

She nodded. "That's the only reason that I can think of why he is behaving like an ass," she said. "Don't worry about it. I'll handle him. Tell me how your missions have been. Have you captured any new Pokémon? Are you doing alright?"

"I'm fine," I said, a white lie, distracting them with my most recent missions and captures, leaving out certain details that would be a cause for worry. Once I was done talking, I turned to Rosa, raising an eyebrow at her silent demeanour. Usually, she would be pelting me with questions by now.

"You've hardly spoken. What's the matter?"

Aunt Helena frowned again. Rosa hesitated for a moment.

"I've been alright," she said without her usual chipper tone.

It was my turn to frown. I narrowed my eyes at her. "Something's wrong," I stated. "What is it?" I said, more of a demand than a query.

Rosa wouldn't look at me. My aunt stared at me before sighing again.

"She's been having a hard time since your visits," she admitted.

"...What?" I asked.

"A few days after one of your visit she let slip to some of her friends that you released your Pokémon in our house and let Rosa play with them," she said. "Word of that got around and now most of the parents of her friends won't let her spend any time with her."

"It's not your fault," Rosa said after the awkward silence.

My aunt nodded. "It's not," she agreed. "It's the parent's fault for behaving so rashly. It's not as if Rosa has any Pokémon herself. I tried talking some sense into them, but they refused to listen."

"So, you have no more friends?" I asked.

She shook her head. "I still have some friends," she said.

My aunt nodded again. "Not all the parents are punishing Rosa because of their ignorance," she said. "She still has a few friends like Aerith."

"Aerith?" I echoed.

"You don't know?" Rosa asked, before giving me a generic description of a brunette with emerald eyes. "Aerith Lorne? Her mother sells flowers?" she added.

I stared blankly at her for a moment. The name did sound quite familiar, but I was never good at remembering people's faces and names unless I was in constant contact with them like my cohort or they had somehow left a deep impression on me. By now, I could only name a few ex-classmates, all of whom with anime hair colours like lilac, light green, and vivid blue, apparently en naturale.

"Nope," I shook my head. "No clue, at all. Rubbish description by the way."

"Really?" she said wide-eyed.

"Yes, really," I snarked back.

"Ugh," she groaned with a dramatic facepalm. "Why is Dex such a blockhead?"

I rolled my eyes. "Remember, " I said slowly. "Who was the one who believed that 'idiots don't get sick' because the book said so."

"Hey!" she protested adorably. "I'm not an idiot anymore!"

"...Oh?" I smirked. She makes it so easy. "So, you were an idiot before ~"

"I was seven!"

I teased her a bit more until Aunt Helena finally interrupted us.

"Now, now that's enough." she chided softly, clearly amused by our antics. "I'm sure everything will work out fine. I'm getting hungry. Why don't you introduce me to your three friends that you were telling us about and head over to the commercial district. I'll treat everyone to a nice meal."

I agreed but not before stating that I would always have the high ground. I chuckled at Rosa whose annoyance was as clear as day and lead them out of my apartment, recalling Synin and Zatanna in-between doing so.

While Caitlyn and Vivian were both in their apartments already, Bradley was not. Fortunately, we did not have to wait long for him, and soon we made our way towards a nice restaurant located in District 5, hand-picked by Aunt Helena, where we had a rather enjoyable evening.

With a few promises to uphold such as shoulder/back massages, baked goods, and storytelling among others, we parted on amicable terms, a kiss for the fair ladies on each cheek.

So why was it then, as I waved back to them, that I felt uneasy, chills down my spine?

9