Chapter 2
211 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What is a regressor? In a sense, it is someone who goes back in time with their memories intact. At least, that is how it was portrayed in the novels he has read, along with those he created.

It was an excuse to make your protagonist powerful without making them seem all that strong. However, knowledge is power. With the knowledge the protagonist had, they gained strength beyond belief. The only plot hole, or at least the biggest irk he had with this type of setting, was that the protagonist who regressed always managed to remember ten or more years of memories. How was that even possible when he could hardly recall what he had for breakfast four days ago?

Yet, this did not stop Billy from touching his neck only to find it was all in one piece.

[Regressor.]

[When you die, you go back to the beginning. This could either be a fresh start or a lifetime of hell.]

He was now a person who defied all logic and went back in time to when the tutorial was first beginning. It was a strange feeling, if he had to be honest.

There was still the lingering pain he felt on his neck after that wolf attacked him. Although he was now in his prime condition, that did not mean his body did not recall those moments seconds ago. It felt as if he was bleeding, but he was not.

Calming himself down, he had to behave somewhat normally.

Anything that he did now would change the future. It was common because it was the butterfly effect. Acting differently now would forever change the future. He knew of this, but Billy was still unsure of the future. After all, he did not even last five minutes once the safe zone was gone.

He did know that he needed to reach that black door and be one of the first ones inside. A weapon, he needed to grab at least something to protect himself with.

No one was paying attention to the door at all; instead, they were focused on the pale-skinned man.

At that moment, Billy slowly made his way to the back of the crowd and stood a few feet away from the door. He also made a note of the pale-skinned man during that time, seeing if his words were any different from before. They were not.

"Here's to hoping you survive until the end."

The pale-skinned man said as he pushed the black door open, allowing Billy to take a closer look inside. There were a lot of weapons inside, but clearly not enough for everyone here. The same could be said for the food that was in a barrel.

He did not waste any time; slipping inside the room, he went to the weapons rack. Billy was not strong, so anything that brought him close to monsters was a no-no; however, a bow couldn’t be used by him. He was never trained on how to use one, so he knew his accuracy would be atrocious.

Sadly, that meant he could use none of the weapons here. So he changed his mind and picked up a spear. Although he would have to be close to the monsters, that did not mean he would be within their range. The spear had a wider range than the other close range equipment here, meaning he could keep his distance.

Picking it up, he examined the weight and found that it was not really heavy at all. It was just a plain silver spear with a sharp tip.

With a weapon in hand and some time to spare, Billy grabbed a few packs of food and a canteen of water.

He left before the room became crowded and stood away from everyone else. Why? Because he knew that there would be an attack as soon as the safe zone was gone.

He needed to recall those moments before his death. What was the area like? Was there a path for escape?

Sadly, there was none that he could remember. It was an open plain, and wolves surrounded them.

In the moment that Billy’s mind was rethinking his plan, a young man appeared before him. He could be considered a high schooler by the way he was dressed - still in his uniform.

This was a new development. One that never occurred before.

“Hello, uncle!”

The young man smiled as he bowed slightly.

From his features, Billy could tell he was some kind of Asian but was unsure of which. From the phrase uncle, he might be Korean or Chinese. As they addressed people, they were unfamiliar with in a similar manner - with respect.

“Hello.”

Billy greeted the young man back.

The teen did not have a weapon, food, or water. Maybe he assumed that Billy was easy and he could take his items away. But why would he think that when the safe zone did not disappear yet?

“Why are you over here by yourself?”

The young man asked with a curious gaze.

“I do not believe I have a reason to tell you that.”

Billy responded as he sized the young man up and down.

Not expecting Billy to answer in such a manner, the young man could only laugh dryly. He did not move; instead, he stood in front of Billy.

“Sorry, sorry. You are right, but you do not mind if I stay here with you, do you?”

Thinking it over for a second, there was nothing wrong with that. If things became too hard for him, Billy could always throw this young man in front of him to the wolves. That would buy him some time to escape.

“I do not care.”

Seeing that Billy did not mind his presence, the young man seemed to breathe a sigh of relief.

“I am Song Chang Wook.”

“Ok.”

There was no need to get attached to him, as the two of them may only be together for a moment.

Hearing the tone in Billy’s voice, Chang decided not to bother him anymore. At least he earned himself an ally.

Time elapsed, and before anyone knew it, the safe zone crumbled.

His caramel-colored hands clenched the shaft of his silver spear tightly. He would not die lightly again.

His behavior did not escape Chang’s eyes. Seeing how Billy was preparing for something, he knew that his choice was the right one.

With the safe zone gone, and those black-furred wolves with golden eyes surrounding them, Billy knew that things were only beginning.

“Quit your crying. It’s just a bunch of mutts!”

That key sentence that Billy recalled from his last life emerged. That was when it happened, and sure as hell, it was happening again. The wolves darted forward, but this time, Billy was prepared.

Thrusting forward with his spear, he felt a weird sensation on his arm as the spear tip went through the wolf’s flesh. His stomach was turning upside down, but he kept his wits about him.

Now was not the time.

A weapon made this all easy; at least, he was less afraid.

“To the right!”

Chang’s voice emerged, and Billy instantly turned his head. Another wolf was coming, and it was fast.

The first wolf died easily; it was now time for another to fall victim to his spear.

Withdrawing his spear from the wolf’s dying body, he got ready for the other wolf approaching. Except, he moved too slow, and the spear seemed to be stuck.

‘God damnit!’

Billy cursed his luck as he rolled to the side to avoid the wolf’s attack.

He already witnessed the jaw strength of those wolves, and there was no need for him to waste his life trying to keep his weapon.

From the corner of his eye, he saw something strange for a moment.

“Tanks, hold the line!”

“Melee DPS attack after the initial charge.”

What he saw in that split second stunned him. There were people out there that were organized. Each one had a key role to play.

It was odd that they established a command so fast, especially considering the time limit they had. Still, they were faring better than himself. 

“Watch out!”

Chang shouted and pointed behind Billy.

‘Why are they not attacking him?’

Billy asked himself as he saw that Chang was safe from the attacks. 

Before he even got an answer, Billy’s head slammed against the ground. He never got up from his roll in time, so in that short second, he was still finding his footing; another wolf managed to ambush him from behind.

It took a chunk out of his neck, and with that, Billy’s consciousness faded.

“Welcome to the tutorial!”

There it was again, just like clockwork. That voice that sounded amused.

[Title change.]

[Regressor of the 2nd life has been upgraded to Regressor of the 3rd life.]

‘Fuck me, man.’

8