Chapter Four
201 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Wang Bao was still a young child when his Father gifted him the stable. The stable had become his safe place on the palace grounds since the only living people who knew about this place were himself and his Brother, along with a handful of palace staff he trusted. At first Wang Bao liked to keep rabbits, birds and dogs but as he grew older he became more interested in beasts and wild creatures surrounding the different humanoid countries. By the time Wang Bao arrived at the stable, his legs had begun to ache again forcing him to walk with a limp. The guards bowed at him before opening the door. Loud hissing and growls could be heard coming from the end room. One guard took it upon himself to warn Wang Bao.

 

“Your highness, the Vet has left for lunch, the beast won’t stop making a racket and has refused to eat anything. Don’t get too close, your Highness; two guards have already been treated by the Doctor, it wouldn’t be good for you to be injured as well.”

 

“I understand.”

 

Wang Bao smiled gently before stepping into the wooden stable. He had stopped hiding animals here once his Father died 3 years ago. He had also stopped trying to achieve his licence in medicine back then. Wang Bao looked around the aged wood sadly, his slow steps eventually taking him to the end stable. The large beast was trying to claw at the large metal gate holding her inside but it was no use. Once she caught sight of Wang Bao, Raia crouched down, ready to attack. Loud growls rumbled from her chest before she pounced at the gate. The strong metal shook violently as the beast landed on her feet, she shook her head before regaining her position again. Wang Bao chuckled to himself before holding his hands up in surrender.

 

“You’re just like your Master. Stubborn and violent.”

 

Raia stayed low while her four eyes narrowed at Wang Bao, he noticed how the beast could understand what he was saying and became curious. Wang Bao took a small step closer to the gate, his arms still raised. Raia started to growl again but quietly as she watched Wang Bao move.

 

“Your master is resting, after eating a delicious meal. Would you like to do the same?”

 

After taking two more steps, Wang Bao was standing directly outside the gated stable. Raia stopped growling but her stance was still showing her unease in a new environment. Wang Bao smiled happily seeing the cooperation. He took out a small screen from his pocket and took a picture of the beast. The screen started showing him various information sites about the beast.

 

Hmm, you’re a Monstrum Feline. What do you eat though?”

 

Wang Bao kept scrolling through various sights until he finally found one talking about diet. He leaned against the heavy gate as he quickly read through the article. Once he was finished, Wang Bao rolled his sleeves up. He quickly turned his head as he felt a warm breeze against his neck and saw Raia pressing her face against the gate. Wang Bao jumped back out of shock then chuckled.

 

“Aren't you curious? Don’t go anywhere, your food won’t take long.”

 

After calling a few staff, the guards outside received Raia’s food and Wang Bao walked towards them. The guards looked down the walkway in shock as Wang Bao hummed to himself. The ominous growls and hissing had stopped, giving them severe disbelief. While Wang Bao walked back to Raia he asked sweetly.

 

“I’m back~ Did you miss me?”

 

Raia turned around and swooshed her long tail as if she wasn’t waiting by the gate and sat by the end wall. Wang Bao smirked as he set down the large bowls onto a nearby table. He sighed heavily while he looked at the fifty large eggs he had to crack.

 

“Kitty, you’re lucky you’re pretty. I’ve never prepared a meal for anyone other than my brother and father.”

 

Raia hissed at the nickname but her lazy bread loaf posture didn’t change. Wang Bao worked as quickly as he could but it still took 20 minutes to crack the large eggs. In the meantime Raia had moved from the end of her room to stare through the gate again. Wang Bao felt a strong gaze on his back but whenever he looked over his shoulder, Raia would be laying on the ground staring at the wall. With the last egg finally cracked, Wang Bao poured in the large jug of milk.

 

Ha~ All done. Should we eat together?”

 

With his hands full Wang Bao turned and looked at the locked stable, although it seemed like the beast didn’t hate him he wasn’t silly enough to open the large gate. Wang Bao placed the large bowl down, then took the keys from a post and opened the small feeding door. However as soon as Wang Bao tried to push the large bowl through the door he found that the door wasn’t big enough.

 

Fu~ Wang Bao stood up and stared at the beast that was staring back at him. 

 

“Do you promise to not attack me?”

 

A peaceful silence answered back, Wang Bao sighed again as he changed keys and unlocked the large gate, Raia moved away as the gate opened towards her while Wang Bao moved steadily as he bent down and lifted the heavy bowl. He kept his eyes on the beast while he stepped inside the pen. Luckily the guards were busy eating outside otherwise they would have come running in to stop him. Wang Bao slowly pushed the gate shut then placed the large bowl down. Raia didn’t move as she stared at Wang Bao. There was a slight tension but Wang Bao quickly diffused it as he took out a medium metal box from his shirt.

 

“Don’t worry, I won’t eat yours. I have my own.”

 

The metal box was still warm and Wang Bao sat down on the hay covered ground. Raia walked forward slowly while Wang Bao shook his container. The meat and grains mixed together inside. Once she saw Wang Bao eating heartily she began lapping at the egg and milk mixture. Wang Bao couldn’t help but chuckle at the sight.

 

“Should I make your lunch everyday? You are actually nice to eat with.”

 

Raia ignored the talking man as she focused on filling her empty belly. Once she was done she picked the empty bowl up and walked over to Wang Bao, dropping the dirty bowl on his clean pants. He felt a little bitter with the poor treatment after going through so much effort but he quickly realised she was still hungry.

 

“I’ll get the kitchen to crack the eggs for me this time.”

 

. . . . . .

 

Only once the sun was beginning to set did Wang Bao exit the stable. Raia was reluctant to see him go but he assured her, her master was fine and he would return the next day. Thanks to Raia, Wang Bao was able to walk back to the palace with lighter steps and a free mind. Once he arrived back at his door however, the weight from earlier pressed down on him and his smile stiffened. Mr Liu greeted Wang Bao with a serious face as he handed over a letter from his Mother. Judging from Mr Liu’s face, the contents of the letter weren't good.

 

“What is this?”

 

Wang Bao skimmed over the words written in his Mother’s writing before scrunching the paper.

 

“She can’t do this, declaring to the citizens that the King is missing will only be an invitation to not only the Giant’s, but all the other Humanoids to do as they please with us.”

 

Mr LIu understood Wang Bao’s anger and quickly tried to calm him down with more information.

 

“The maids have said this isn’t set in stone yet. However, Queen Mother is becoming anxious. The King’s disappearance is affecting her mind, causing her to not think about the kingdom.”

 

Wang Bao started pacing; After the third minute of stressful walking and muttering, Mr Liu grabbed a hold of his arm firmly.

 

“Do you have any ideas, my Prince?”

 

“Has the doctor altered the paralysis medication yet? Maybe the Giant has news about my brother.”

 

Mr Liu’s face fell and he shook his head.

 

“She felt it was safer to paralyse the Giant’s whole body after the situation this morning, she will be coming again tomorrow morning to change the medication.”

 

Wang Bao felt another wave of stress hit him, they were closing in on 3 weeks without the King being in the palace. If they didn’t have any good news by the end of 3 weeks, people would start to become anxious and ask questions. Wang Bao sat on the sofa closest to him and rubbed his temples before rubbing his tender legs. 

 

“Okay, all we can do then is wait and hope something good happens soon. You can leave now Mr Liu.”

 

. . . . . . 

 

In the bedroom, Nakai was lying peacefully since he couldn’t do anything else. Thanks to Wang Bao’s loud panicked voice, he could clearly hear the conversation happening in the other room. Nakai breathed deeply, he was surprised the doctor hadn’t realised the advanced healing happening within his body yet.  Nakai tried to wiggle the toes of his almost healed broken leg. An odd sensation of pins and needles crept up his leg but he couldn’t feel any movement. Just as he was about to try and move his hands, Wang Bao entered the room. Without turning the lights on, he walked to his wardrobe. Nakai watched silently as Wang Bao changed into a robe then exited the room. Wang Bao didn’t spare even one glance at the large Giant lying on his floor, however instead of closing the door on his way out it was left open.

 

Nakai soon heard the sound of water running before silence came over the whole area. The young Prince must be bathing. Nakai tried moving his fingers and the same odd feeling of pins and needles ran up his arms. He made sure to stay alert to the sounds happening outside the room in case Wang Bao entered the room again. By the time Nakai heard Wang Bao walking outside the bedroom, he could wriggle his fingers and toes freely. Unfortunately these efforts had caused a thin layer of sweat to cover his body but to his surprise Wang Bao didn’t enter the room again, instead Nakai heard Wang Bao moving about slowly then groaning. Nakai instantly  stopped wiggling his phalanges and focused on what Wang Bao was doing. With all his might he was able to turn his head slightly and peered into the lounging area.

 

Wang Bao had set up a makeshift bed on one of the long sofas. His long limbs looked cramped and painful while he slept. Nakai watched curiously. He must be angry about this morning. Nakai continued to try and move his body while staring at the sleeping Prince, once he had regained the ability to move his hands and feet Wang Bao stretched out on the cramped sofa and gasped lightly.

 

Nakai froze and he kept his whole attention on Wang Bao. When he was about to start his motions again a few minutes later, Wang Bao curled into a ball and quietly groaned. Nakai stopped trying to regain the strength in his body as he tilted his head sideways a little more, as he had thought Wang Bao was having a nice dream. He scoffed at the scene before him but the next few seconds made his smirk freeze in surprise.

 

“Ahhh….Lei.”

 

The words were spoken in only a breathy whisper but Nakai heard them clearly. He watched more curiously as Wang Bao turned over, grunting a few times before the room returned to its peaceful silence. Nakai stopped trying to free his body now, instead he thought about things. I wonder if Wang Lei knows about his little brother's thoughts? 

 

. . . . . . . . 

 

By the time the doctor and guard entered the room the next morning, Nakai was able to move the majority of his body but he acted as if he was still paralyzed. Wang Bao watched with a slight scowl on his face until the group of people left. Mr Liu was watching as well but he was more nervous than angry. Once the doctor and guard left, Wang Bao turned to Mr Liu.

 

“Mr Liu, prepare a large meal for the Giant and I. Once the meal has arrived you can take a stroll outside.”

 

“Y-Yes my Prince.”

 

Mr Liu walked out whilst looking over his shoulder nervously. He didn’t want Wang Bao to be in any danger. Wang Bao walked across the room and sat beside Nakai while facing him, a large gap between them. 

 

“The doctor said the medicine from yesterday would still be in effect so listen first. My brother, the King, has gone missing. Your troops are also aware of your disappearance. Let’s work together. If you give me information on my brother's location, we’ll return you and your beast to Giant Country and end the war before it gets worse.”

 

Wang Bao thought the Giant would be stubborn and refuse such an offer but what he heard in response chilled his body.

 

“Does your Brother know about your feelings towards him?”

 

Despite Wang Bao’s ice cold body, his cheeks burned to a bright red. Nakai smirked at the sight while continuing to run his mouth. 

 

“If I was your brother, I would run as far as I could. A dead Father, crazed Mother and a brother that wants to bed him. No wonder he ran away.”

 

The words leaving Nakai’s mouth sprouted a seed of darkness in Wang Bao. Before he could think, his body lunged forward and rained multiple blows to Nakai’’s face and chest. In return he received a light laugh.

 

“You’ll have to hit me harder if you want it to hurt.”

 

Wang Bao quickly regained his composure and he sat back, his eyes were red with tears while he wiped the spit from his chin. Nakai laughed again at the sight of Wang Bao. Before the situation could get any worse, Mr Liu returned to the room, pausing his steps.

 

“My Prince, is everything okay?”

 

In a huff Wang bao stood up and ordered Mr Liu angrily.

 

“Throw that food out, he doesn’t deserve to eat.”

 

Mr Liu stayed frozen to the spot as he watched Wang Bao leave the room. His gaze then turned to Nakai laying on the floor peacefully. He felt a little caught in the middle and didn’t know what to do. Wang Bao stormed out of his living quarters, feeling a mix of anger and embarrassment. His strides were more like stomping until he bumped into his Mother’s maid. The woman bowed before speaking in a light voice.

 

“Queen Mother requests your company in the garden.”

 

Wang Bao wanted to pull his hair out and scream but instead he bit his tongue and made his way to the Queen’s garden. The scent of sweet flowers grew stronger with every step. Outside in the garden, multiple maids were wearing white uniforms as they tended to the delicate flowers. Queen Mother was sitting at a small table drinking floral tea while a young maid braided her hair, every so often adding a flower as decoration. When Queen Mother heard Wang Bao’s loud steps, she spoke in a stern voice.

 

“Sit, I have something I need to tell you.”

 

The scene before him made Wang Bao uncomfortable and he walked over to the table. Once he was seated, a maid came over and poured him a small cup of dandelion tea that he wouldn’t be touching. Queen Mother wiped at her red lips delicately before looking at Wang Bao, a hint of disdain in her black eyes. 

 

“I have decided that I will step in and take the King’s place as ruler until he is found. I have also sent guards out of the palace to search for his location. This announcement won’t be made public until the third week of the King’s disappearance.”

 

The breath in Wang Bao’s lungs stopped as he stared back at his Mother in surprise before quickly looking around at the maids surrounding them, they continued on with treating the flowers as if they hadn’t heard the woman's statement. Queen Mother enjoyed her son’s silence and prompted him.

 

“Do you have any objections?”

 

Wang Bao turned back to face his Mother, butterflies fluttering around his stomach as he held the woman’s gaze that had no Motherly love for him. A future with this woman in power flashed before Wang Bao’s eyes and he turned a deathly pale while answering quietly.

 

“N-No, of course not your Majesty.”

 

Queen Mother grinned at the sight of Wang Bao’s anxious appearance before finishing her cup of tea. Only after a tense silence did she continue talking.

 

“You will do all you can to stay out of sight until I say, also the war between us and Giant Country has been declared as a cold war but should we need to go to battle whilst the King is still missing, you will be leading the troops to battle.”

 

“....Yes, your Majesty.”

 

Wang Bao struggled to breath as he abruptly stood up, he bowed deeply before walking away. He didn’t care if he hadn’t been dismissed yet and it seemed his Mother had nothing else to say since he wasn’t forced back. Wang Bao struggled to stay on the path because his legs trembled in fear. Once he was far enough from the potent garden, Wang Bao broke out into a sprint. His breath was raspy as his shaky legs carried him to the forest edge on the opposite side of the palace land. The guards standing at the entrance of the stable stared in shock at Wang Bao as he ran past them. Once he reached Raia’s stable, Wang Bao fell to his knees in exhaustion. Raia heard the loud gasps and walked to the metal gate to peer through. She let out a soft growl similar to a purr when she saw Wang Bao’s pale appearance. Wang Bao struggled to his feet and stared at the large beast, choosing to tend to Raia rather than himself. 

 

“Are you hungry?”

 

There was no energy left in Wang Bao’s body and he was thankful to see the large bowl of already cracked eggs sitting on top of the small table already. Picking the large pitcher up and pouring the contents in with the eggs, Wang Bao then unlocked the large gate and carried the heavy bowl inside. Raia moved aside to let Wang Bao in and sat beside him as she ate her lunch. Wang Bao had no appetite as he leaned against Raia’s soft fur. He could hear the loud thumping of the beast’s heartbeat. By the time Raia had finished her bowl of food, Wang Bao had calmed down enough to breathe properly. Although he had calmed down, it didn’t stop a wild thought from crossing his mind.

 

Raia watched lazily as Wang Bao walked out of the pen, leaving the gate wide open. Wang Bao grunted as he struggled to drag the saddle that Raia had been found with. In the end he couldn’t move the heavy leather and removed the reins and head harness instead. The guards stood oblivious as Wang Bao gently attached the head harness to Raia. The large cat laid down to help Wang Bao reach since he only reached the bottom of her chest while she was standing. Once the harness and reins were attached, Wang Bao wriggled his way up onto her body but to his surprise Raia didn’t move.

 

“Kitty go, the gate is open.”

 

Raia yawned as she rolled to the side causing Wang Bao to land on the ground. He quickly stood up and tried to sit back on the beast but Raia rolled onto her back before he could. Wang Bao stared down at the beast, defeated.

 

“Okay, we won’t go riding today.”

 

Wang Bao reluctantly removed the harness before returning them to where he found them, the whole time the gate was left open but Raia stayed inside. When Wang Bao returned, he stared inside a little confused.

 

“Why don’t you run away or attack me? You could’ve escaped multiple times.”

 

A soft yawn came out of Raia’s large mouth again as she rolled back onto her feet. She walked over to the very edge of the gate and stared at Wang Bao deeply, her large head lowering to Wang Bao’s head height. Wang Bao stared back before resting his forehead against the beast’s head.

 

“Your master must treat you well.”

 

After spending a little more time with Raia, Wang Bao returned to his room, he chose to take the back entrance since his Mother had warned him to stay out of sight. By the time he had returned to his room the sun was beginning to set and his stomach was painfully empty. Mr Liu rushed over once he caught sight of Wang Bao to hear his orders.

 

“Prepare dinner for me and the Giant. I’ll be eating in my room.”

 

Wang Bao walked over to the bathroom and ran himself a bath without looking back. Mr Liu had heard about the Queen Mother’s decision and walked out of the room with a sombre expression. With his long hair still damp, Wang Bao walked into his room. Mr Liu was guiding four struggling guards into moving Nakai into a sitting position. The four men all grunted as they pulled at Nakai’s arms. At the end of it the four men were all red faced and breathless. Mr Liu quickly set down the large pot of beef stew for Nakai while Wang Bao’s bowl was waiting for him on a small table. Mr Liu was about to spoon a large amount of stew into Nakai’s mouth when Wang Bao dismissed everyone for the night. Now that Nakai was no longer fully paralysed, the guards were hesitant with one asking.

 

“Your Highness, should we stay behind in case something unexpected happens?”

 

The large guard that spoke suddenly stood beside Wang Bao, his hand on the gun resting around his waist but his offer was declined. Mr Liu wanted to stay back too since Wang Bao was clearly not feeling like himself but he was rejected before he could open his mouth.

 

“I’ll see everyone tomorrow with the Doctor.”

 

Wang Bao slowly sat beside Nakai and picked up the large spoon usually used for serving food rather than feeding people. Before he brought the spoon to Nakai’s mouth he said in a warning voice.

 

“I want this meal to be quiet, keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself.”

 

Wang Bao didn’t expect the Giant to agree but he was surprised again by the Nakai’s question.

 

“Where’s Raia?”

 

This name was new to Wang Bao and he pushed the spoon past Nakai’s lips instead of answering. Nakai ate heartily since he hadn’t eaten in 10 days. The IV he had been given wasn’t even enough to satisfy the hunger in his baby toe. Nakai felt his hands itch to grab the spoon from Wang Bao and stuff the contents of the pot into his mouth, but he held off and sat peacefully while being fed. Once Wang Bao had fed Nakai the last of the stew his own food had cooled but he didn’t care as he sat at the small table a few feet away. He slowly ate while he stared out the window, the moon was shining through the room illuminating everything and everyone inside. 

 

Wang Bao was almost finished with his meal when he heard Nakai speak.

 

“Why the change of heart? You starved me this morning because of my words now you personally feed me.”

 

Wang Bao sat his empty bowl on the table then laid back on the soft carpet beneath him, the moonlight shone against his pale skin and black hair beautifully but his heart felt a mix of complicated emotions. Nakai was only curious and didn’t care whether he was answered but after a while Wang Bao spoke quietly, a hint of loneliness in his voice.

 

“Don’t take it to heart, I’m merely distracting myself.”

6