Chapter Five
178 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

A few days passed and the 3 week mark of the King’s disappearance came around. Wang Bao received another update on the guards he had ordered to search for his brother but the information was zilch again. Queen Mother had also started her take over from the shadows, she played it off as helping the Country stay safe while the war was on hold.

 

Unknown to Wang Bao, Nakai’s body had become fully adjusted to the medicine he received daily and now his body was unaffected, his leg had also healed quicker than the Old Doctor expected and he could tell she was becoming curious about the Giant’s DNA. If it weren’t for Raia being held in an unknown area, Nakai would’ve left once his body had regained its full strength. Wang Bao walked into the room wearing a floral silk shirt and shorts. His attire had become more casual after avoiding the eyes of the palace staff. Wang Bao sat down while holding a large pot filled with a savoury grain porridge.

 

“Eat up quickly, I’m sick of eating cold food.”

 

The atmosphere between Nakai and Wang Bao had softened but Wang Bao wasn’t close to liking the person on his bedroom floor.

 

“Tell me where Raia is.”

 

“Who is this Raia? I won’t tell you unless you tell me where my brother is.”

 

Usually Wang Bao would ignore whenever Nakai would speak to him but he was getting impatient with the same questions everyday. Nakai sighed inwardly, also feeling impatient.

 

“My beast, where is she? Is she well?”

 

Wang Bao scooped another spoon full of food as he thought of the large cat he had befriended.

 

“She is well, we’re very close.”

 

Nakai almost choked on his food as he stared at Wang Bao in disbelief and the conversation ended there. After the quiet meal Wang Bao left to visit Raia. He was forced to change the way he walked towards the stable and had to walk through the dungeon in order to avoid being seen, though this was the longest path he didn’t mind too much. With a flushed face Wang Bao walked down the corridor to where Raia was staying. On his way in he gathered the head harness and reins. 

 

“Kitty~ A little someone told me your name is Raia. How about we go on a walk today?”

 

Raia perked her ears up at the mention of her name and Wang Bao felt the change in her demeanour. Seeing the change, Wang Bao couldn’t help but scoff. Did you hate the nickname that much? Raia laid down silently while Wang Bao worked on clipping everything together, once everything was set up, he launched his body up Raia’s side to sit behind the beast’s gigantic head. Wang Bao gripped the reins tightly but didn’t pull them as he let Raia wander out of the gate slowly. Once in the corridor, Wang Bao spoke in an amused voice.

 

“Guards, I’m taking Raia for a walk, you may take a break.”

 

Wang Bao knew it would be best to warn the guards ahead of time since it would be sad if Raia were to become injured again but the guards freaked out anyway and swiftly reached for their guns. Raia saw this and narrowed her four eyes angrily while a loud growl erupted from her chest. Wang Bao felt his whole body shake and he did his best to calm everyone.

 

“Easy, easy. Put the gun’s away, she won’t hurt anyone.”

 

The guards found what Wang Bao was saying hard to believe but they put their guns away anyway. Raia calmed down a little and walked her large body down the stable corridor, once she reached the outside she looked around slowly. After taking in the warm sun she suddenly sprinted forward, Wang Bao almost flew back but he was able to hold on to the reins and steady himself. Raia weaved in between the large trees surrounding them easily, Wang Bao didn’t know for sure but he believed she was happy. 

 

Raia hadn’t been able to stretch her legs in so long and it was clear in her demeanour that she enjoyed having the freedom. Feeling the warm wind brush through his long hair, Wang Bao laughed happily for the first time in a long while and looked around in a daze. In the moment the sun felt warmer and the trees seemed greener. Raia suddenly sped up before leaping up a large tree, her sharp claws digging into the old wood as she climbed higher.  Wang Bao shouted in shock as he tried to wrap his legs around Raia’s large body. He was on the verge of falling when Raia arrived at the top of the tree, resting on branches with ease. Wang Bao was left breathless as he shouted.

 

Ha~Ha~ That scared me you silly cat.”

 

Raia leant her head back gently to press against Wang Bao to calm him. Her eyes widened to search her surroundings at the same time. Wang Bao was busy clinging to Raia like his life depended on it until he noticed where they were.

 

“Head down now, we’re too close to the palace.”

 

Raia did as she was told but her way down almost caused Wang Bao to have another heart attack. She leapt back with incredible power turning the world upside down before landing on her feet lightly. Wang Bao felt his stomach gurgle and tried his hardest to hold his breakfast down. There was no need to guide Raia as she returned to the stable after Wang Bao caught his breath and the nausea passed. The guards stared in shock as they watched Raia walk back into her pen. Wang Bao felt a little dizzy while he walked back outside. As he walked past the guards he instructed them.

 

“Give her worms alongside her dinner, she earned a treat.”

 

Back In the bedroom Nakai was crouched beside the window, the sight of seeing Raia was a relief to him but it didn’t mean he could leave so suddenly; he had to come up with a plan first. With the sound of the door opening, Nakai swiftly yet quietly sat back against the large bed where he had been left. Only a couple seconds later, Wang Bao walked in and sat at the foot of the bed.

 

“Answer honestly, do you know where my brother is?”

 

Nakai answered in a lazy voice.

 

“Why aren’t I being interrogated like a prisoner? Shouldn’t I be chained to the ground while various tortures are bestowed upon my body?”

 

Wang Bao was used to Nakai skirting around his questions but his safety in the palace was running lower each day that Wang Lei wasn’t around. Nakai leaned his head back lazily as he feigned ignorance. Wang Bao felt the walls of the room shrink, a shallow suffocation crept up throat and he strode out of the room. A few seconds later, Wang Bao stormed into the room again and hit Nakai over the head with a vase, a loud shattering noise sounded in the room before a scary silence. Nakai clenched his fists as he pretended to be paralysed. Wang Bao’s shrill voice pierced his ears thanks to his silence while blood trickled down from a small cut.

 

“Don’t you realise my life is at stake?! Tell me where my brother is!”

 

Nakai clenched his jaw tightly, ignoring Wang Bao. Seeing the Giant ignore him made Wang Bao feel defeated and he strode out of the room. Wang Bao kept walking until a maid came to him and beckoned him to follow her to see Mother Queen. Wang Bao felt his mind hadn’t been able to take a break ever since his brother led the royal troops out, so he took a few deep breaths to try and settle his pounding head. The maid ignored the Prince's ill appearance as she led the way to Queen Mother’s room. Inside the room, he was met with the same stern glare as usual.

 

“Sit.”

 

Mother Queen’s voice was cold as she held up a letter, a large white bird sitting on her shoulder. Wang Bao sat stiffly as he stared at the ground. He felt he had been meeting his Mother too often lately.

 

“I received a letter from the injured soldier. He wrote that not only is our King missing but the General and Prince from Giant Country have also disappeared.”

 

A maid suddenly grabbed a fistfull of Wang Bao’s hair from behind and wrenched his head back. Mother Queen threw the letter off to the side as she walked forward. The heavy scent of flowers hanging around her tall frame paired with the cold stare made Wang Bao feel nauseous, his nausea was so intense it made his eyes water. Once Queen Mother was staring down at Wang Bao’s pale face, she spat out angrily.

 

“The letter also stated that you were the one to order everyone to stay silent about this. Tell me, Wang Bao, did you plan an attack on your brother?”

 

The accusation hurt Wang Bao’s heart and he forcefully threw his head forward to get out of the maid's iron grip. For the first time in his life he stood up against his Mother, roaring angrily in her face.

 

“Of course not!”

 

The bird on Queen Mother’s shoulder cawed loudly before flying towards Wang Bao’s face, their talon’s leaving three long cuts along his cheek. Wang Bao tried to defend himself but he was too slow. Queen Mother stepped forward too and held her son’s bleeding face with long nails, the pain causing Wang Bao’s face to distort.

 

“You were the cause of your Father’s death and now you want to get rid of your brother? How long will it be before you turn towards your own Mother?”

 

Wang Bao was speechless and his body froze. Nobody had dared talk about his Father’s death in the three years that he had been deceased. Queen Mother dug her nails into Wang Bao’s cheek deeper until he cried out. Wang Bao’s cries were cut with his Mother’s next jab.

 

“Why did termination fail with you?”

 

With those final words Queen Mother pushed Wang Bao away, his feet tripped over one another and he fell to the ground. A maid quickly walked over to Queen Mother and wiped her hands free of the blood, nobody walked over to Wang Bao and he forced his trembling legs up; without looking at his Mother, Wang Bao walked to the door while holding his bleeding cheek. With his free hand on the handle, Queen Mother’s chilled voice carried over to him and all of the blood in his body froze instantly.

 

“You have 6 days, maybe instead of sending you to war, I should send you as a sacrifice to the gods. Maybe then I will be able to live peacefully”

 

Wang Bao quickly shut the door behind him, his breathing was uneven as he started running down the empty hallway. His loud and rapid steps echoing off of the cold stone walls. Wang Bao was about to run to his room but the thought of seeing the Giant was too much. With The last of his energy, Wang Bao headed towards the stone spiral stairwell and ran up the small steps. He didn’t stop until he broke through his study door, collapsing to the ground in fear. Wang Bao shook uncontrollably as he cried on the floor. The window and curtain were all shut, keeping out any light of the afternoon. His mother’s cold threatening voice replayed over and over while he wished for his brother to return.

 

“Lei….Lei.”

 

. . . . . . . . .

 

The light outside slowly faded. Wang Bao had cried himself to sleep and was awoken by Mr Liu calling his name softly. The light in the room was too much for his swollen eyes and Wang Bao curled back into a ball, shielding himself from the bright light. Mr Liu caught a glimpse of Wang Bao’s cheek and froze.

 

“My Prince, your cheek! Who did this to you?”

 

Wang Bao’s voice was raspy as he slowly sat up

 

“Who do you think?”

 

Wang Bao’s long hair was a mess matching the rest of his body. With the help of Mr Liu he stood up and limped to his desk, leaning against the wood heavily. Ever since Wang Bao’s Mother found out about Lei, his body hadn’t been able to recover and it was taking a toll on him. Mr Liu, who walked around and opened a drawer, pulled out a small bottle of ointment before applying some to the cuts on Wang Bao’s cheek. Mr Liu’s hands shook along with his voice as he asked quietly.

 

“Has Queen Mother also found out about the Giant? I was delivering your lunches when I saw he had a cut on his ear and scalp.”

 

Wang Bao’s reply caused an eerie silence to appear in the room.

 

“I did that, if Queen Mother knew I was hiding a Giant in my bedroom, my face wouldn’t have a small cut. I would be dead already.”

 

Saying it out loud, his own words reminded Wang Bao of his Mother’s threat and his heart became uneven again. Mr Liu finished applying the medicine; afterwards he tried to guide Wang Bao out of the room so he could have a proper meal then rest but Wang Bao refused to move.

 

“I have something I need to do. I’ll make my own way back.”

 

Mr Liu was reluctant to go but he listened and walked away so as not to stress Wang Bao too much. Once he was alone, Wang Bao tiredly moved to sit in his chair and opened the bottom drawer with a key hanging from a chain around his neck. Inside the drawer were keepsakes given to him by his Father and brother. Sitting on top of the pile was an unopened letter. Wang Bao had a feeling the key to finding his brother was written on the letter he hadn’t read but he was hesitant now. Wang Bao wanted answers but what if those answers were something he didn’t want to hear?

 

The letter stayed in the open drawer as Wang Bao stood up, an unopened bottle of alcohol sat on a nearby shelf surrounded by books. Without bothering with a glass, Wang Bao removed the cap and drank a few mouthfuls. The drink burned Wang Bao’s raw throat and he grunted in pain. Sitting back down, Wang Bao stared at a picture of his Father and brother, they were smiling widely as they sat on top of their horses. A small Wang Bao could be seen sitting in front of his Father.

 

. . . . . . . . .

 

The Old King was still full of energy and life even though he raised Man Country to be the great place it was today. Every summer, he would take his son’s out to hunt wild beasts. Their horses would carry them close to the border of Winged Country in hopes of catching new prey. Wang Bao had never been interested in hunting, he would rather watch the animals and see how they lived, what they ate. 

 

Wang Lei was a youth only several years older than his Brother but he held his sleek hunting gun confidently, peering through the scope he focused on his target. The Old King watched proudly as Wang Lei pulled the trigger, the bullet pierced through a large scaly beast, the sound of the body dropping to the ground could be heard clearly even though they were a distance away.  Wang Bao jumped at his Father happily wanting to be picked up as the trio made their way over to the dead beast.

 

The sight was too much for Wang Bao though and he clung to his Father while Wang Lei crouched down to inspect the shot. A guard followed behind closely waiting in order to move the dead beast onto a cart to take back to the palace for the summer equinox feast. Behind teh young boy, the Old King spoke gently.

 

“Well done Lei, this is your biggest hunt.”

 

The Old King rubbed his eldest son’s long hair fondly while still carrying Wang Bao. A small croak could be heard not too far away. Wang Bao suddenly jumped down from his Father’s arms and wandered towards the strange sound. His father and Brother followed behind lest he became lost or injured. Hidden behind an old log, a baby of the beast they had just killed was crying out for its mother. Wang Bao didn’t hesitate as he crouched down to pick the creature up. However Wang Lei was quick to stop his brother as he stared at the creature.

 

“They are carnivorous, leave it. They leave the nest at a young age anyway.”

 

Wang Bao didn’t want to listen and he stepped onto the log, his Brother keeping a firm grip on his shirt. The creature's cries got louder and louder until it suddenly launched its small body at the two young boys. The Old King reacted swiftly and shot at the small creature. Wang Bao’s face was sprayed with blood and he trembled in fear. The Old King was quick to react and he crouched down, a hint of regret on his kind face.

 

“Baobao come here.”

 

Wang Lei was tugging on Wang Bao’s shirt but there was no reaction, he resorted to wrapping his arms around his brother's waist and pulled him down from the log, setting him down gently. The royal clothing was made of the most expensive materials yet Wang Lei didn’t think twice to wipe the blood from Wang Bao’s face. Revealing a very pale blank expression. The expression scared Wang Lei and he spoke in a quick voice.

 

“Don’t worry BaoBao. It had to be killed, if Father didn’t do anything you would’ve been injured.”

 

Wang Lei rubbed Wang Bao’s cheeks gently in hopes of soothing his brother. Wang Bao suddenly blinked quickly while staring up at his brother, his heart fluttering with every swipe of his brother's thumb. He nodded dumbly before returning to his Father’s side.

 

. . . . . .

 

Wang Bao blinked to wet his dry swollen eyes, he didn’t know how long he had been reminiscing for but his eyes drifted to the letter sitting in the open drawer. With another mouthful of alcohol, Wang Bao reached down and opened the letter. He recognized his brother's neat writing with only one glance.

 

My beloved Brother,

 

I am writing this letter the night before I will lead the troops to face the Giant’s soldiers. To be honest I am a little nervous. It has been three years since our Father’s death and it has caused a hole in my heart as I’m sure it has done the same to you.

 

Not only has it taken a piece of me but Father’s death has filled me with regret, guilt and shame. I have always known the bullet that took Father’s life was not shot by an ally with the Giant’s but instead of proving this fact I used it as a shield. I wish I had chosen another way, I also wish I had treated you better. You accepted Mother’s hatred in secret thinking I didn’t notice when I have known for some time. I was just too weak to do anything.

 

My heart is holding a heavy burden as I write this letter but I hope you can accept my apology even though I am not there to give it in person. I had also planned on taking you with me but time was not on my side and too many eyes had started to watch me, second guessing my every order and decision. I hope we can meet again in the near future BaoBao and I will make sure to apologise properly.

 

Yours always,

 

Wang Lei.

 

P.S Don’t blame the Giants, they are our friends not the enemy.

6