Chapter Ninety Four
62 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Nakai was driving to Queen Mother’s cell for the fifth day in a row, it was closing in to her execution but her will power and sound of mind was still strong. Nakai was shocked at how well Queen Mother could carry herself but determined to see her break, as he cut the engine and stood out of the car, he thought of a new plan and called two guards to follow behind him. Inside the cell, Queen Mother was sitting on the ground since her bed had been taken away, her feet were calloused and bruised from the constant squatting she had to do for hours on end. When she heard Nakai come in she sighed and looked at him with disgusted eyes.

 

“Still visiting little old me, shouldn’t you be at home, with that disgusting thing that is carrying your child?”

 

“Wang Bao is fine, thanks for asking.”

 

Nakai sat on the usual chair that was in the middle of the room, the guards waiting anxiously to see what they would be forced to do today. Nakai crossed his arms and cocked a smile before he carried on talking.

 

“I’ve been observing you for the past five days and found you're quite the tough woman.... But I know your anchor.”

 

Queen Mother was unbraiding her hair from her night's rest but stopped once she heard Nakai’s words, just like that, Nakai knew he was right and he sent the guards forward.

 

“Put her in the submission position but wait in here, she won’t be in it for very long.”

 

Nakai watched with interest as Queen Mother struggled for the first time since their first visit, her hair was forced around her ankles and wrists until she was pushed into a deep squat. Her feet that had been forced to hold her weight on the cold ground looked grotesque from the purple shade they turned quickly. Once the hood was draped over her head, the guards drew back to stand behind Nakai and watched as Queen Mother screamed horrifically. Nakai waited to see if she would calm herself like she did when they first met but her screaming went on until her voice had turned hoarse.

 

The guards felt they were being equally tortured by the banshee cries of Queen Mother, they almost ran out of the room to get away from the sound. Nakai was the only one unfazed by the sound, he found it satisfying to hear the strong woman that carried herself highly be broken down into a pitiful woman who could only scream. After two hours Nakai nodded towards the woman who could no longer scream and the guards rushed forward, when they went to untie her hair, Nakai put his hand up and the guards stopped.

 

“Cut her hair off.”

 

Queen Mother’s face was deathly pale but once she heard the words she had feared Nakai would say, her entire body flushed with red from her anger. Her voice was barely audible but it didn’t stop her from cursing Nakai for her torment.

 

“You think you can break me?! Go on, cut my hair! It won’t stop the fact that Wang Bao is a ticking time bomb and it’s only a matter of time before he snaps. I’m sure you’ve seen glimpses of it already.”

 

The guards stopped, unsure of whether they should continue but Nakai narrowed his eyes coldy at them before stating through his teeth.

 

“Cut. Her. Hair.”

 

The guards withdrew their knives and slowly cut the hair tangled around Queen Mother's body, they cut close to the knots to lessen the chance of cutting Queen Mother. Although there was only a palm’s length of hair cut it was still angering for Queen Mother to see, her body thrashed from side to side in an attempt to push the guards away from her but her body was too weak after being in the submission position for two hours. Nakai was only satisfied once he saw Queen Mother free of her hair, the black strands still laid on the floor delicately but the cut was uneven, making it look less beautiful. When the guards left, they left the dead strands that were no longer attached to the woman’s head, Nakai watched as Queen Mother tried to act indifferent but for once, he saw through her mask. 

 

Behind her dark cold eyes was the look of a broken girl. There was no point dragging on any longer, Nakai stood up to leave. He walked to the car with Queen Mother’s raspy voiced words ringing in his ear. He thought Wang Bao’s outrages had only started after they had met, but it seemed that this wasn’t true. Nakai believed Wang Bao had been getting better but now he wondered if that was all the calm before the storm.

 

. . . . . . . .

 

At home Nakai started focusing more on Wang Bao’s small habits and little changes. He didn’t want to treat Wang Bao like this but if it meant potentially saving his lover from himself or even their child, then it was for the best. Every morning when Nakai would come in with Wang Bao’s breakfast before stating that he would be back soon, Nakai saw the fleeting fear in Wang Bao’s eyes before it was masked over with hunger. When Nakai would get back after dark, he would always find Wang Bao asleep on the sofa. This was nothing Nakai hadn’t noticed before but now he was seeing smaller details, Wang Bao would tap his finger anxiously if he had nothing to do or shut the windows if he got the faintest smell of anything floral. Nakai noted that there was nothing with a scent in Wang Bao’s living quarters, the bodywash and everything else used in the bathroom was scented with very earthy scents, bordering on musky. When Nakai started to really focus on Wang Bao and pick out all the small things about him, he finally noticed that Wang Bao wasn’t as calm as he led people to believe.

 

. . . . . . . .

 

Everyday after the first cutting of Queen Mother’s hair, the same process carried on. When it was four days away from Queen Mother’s execution day, her hair was cut to a length that would no longer allow her to be tied with, the straight strands of hair fell to just above her waist. Nakai watched as the woman was trying to hide the fact that her hair was getting to her but the mask was shattering slowly everyday. Usually Nakai would leave after revelling in Queen Mother’s despair of her hair cut but today was different. With a whistle, two guards brought in a long stand with a metal bucket attached to the top of the stand. Nakai explained as he watched the guards enter Queen Mother’s cell and set up the device.

 

“I heard that Wang Xei is immune to the poison of the flower you sent to Prince Rara. I also know that both Wang Bao and Wang Lei have bad reactions to the flower, especially Wang Bao since he’s had more exposure to the poison. I’m curious as to how your body will react.”

 

Queen Mother allowed the guards to cuff her ankles and wrists together before moving her body to sit under the bucket. The sickly sweet scent of the flowers covered the air in the room until the stench was almost too thick to breathe. For the first time, Nakai stood up once the guards had left her room and entered the cell, his large body towered over Queen Mother as she squatted on the ground. On the side of the bucket, there was a small handle and Nakai twisted it a couple millimeters. Slowly a drop formed where the nozzle came out of the bucket and dropped down onto Queen Mother’s head. Nakai didn’t notice any changes in her reaction to the water and figured her sensitivity to the flower mustn’t be as strong as Wang Bao’s. The water droplets were set to drop at random times and Nakai walked away once the device was set. The guards waiting outside were given orders to not enter the room until Nakai returned tomorrow and with that Nakai left the site. The sky was beginning to darken when Nakai returned, surprisingly when he parked theocar Old LIu was waiting for him.

 

“His Majesty has asked to see you.”

 

Nakai wasn’t surprised and walked to Wang Lei’s study, inside Nera and Wang Lei were waiting for him. Wang Lei looked tired and worn down after spending so much time and effort over the past few months but he still forced his body to keep going when Nakai walked in.

 

“I hear you cut Mother’s hair.”

 

En, if I hadn’t, she would still be the same woman from the start.”

 

Wang Lei knew more than anyone how important the length of the royals hair was since he himself had been forced to grow it. To think that the shred of his Mother’s identity was stripped away from her, made him realise how smart Nakai was but also how cutthroat he could be. Wang Lei wasn’t upset at Nakai or feeling guilty for his Mother’s treatment, in fact he moved on to a different subject right away.

 

“I haven’t been able to see Bao lately, is he okay?”

 

Nakai gave a simple nod before moving on to his own question.

 

“...Growing up, did Wang Bao ever lash out or become uncontrollably violent, similar to when the two of you reconnected?”

 

Wang Lei thought about it seriously since Nakai looked concerned.

 

“There was one time where Father was taking me out hunting, this was after Bao stopped wanting to attend the trip. He was angry at Father for not spending time with him and when we both went to say goodbye to him, he attacked Father. He was only small at the time but still caused Father to have a black eye.”

 

“No other time?”

 

Wang Lei shook his head, Nera listened silently before interjecting.

 

“How many times has he lashed out around you, Nakai?”

 

“A few,. I want to know what causes him to tip over the edge.”

Nakai leaned back in his chair as the last of the light disappeared. He didn’t want to stay too long since he was missing Wang Bao so he got up and left, still thinking about Wang Bao’s temperament. When Nakai pushed the door open, he walked in to see Rara and Karo fighting with sticks while Wang Bao nowhere to be seen. When the kids caught sight of Nakai, they ran over with their sticks pointed at him. Nakai had heard about Nera’s teaching and thought it was a good idea but when the sticks were aimed at him he was not so pleased. Rara aimed high at Nakai’s thighs while Karo went low for the ankles, Nakai darted around the small kids to avoid the hard strikes when he saw Wang Bao sitting outside, his hand rubbing his stomach absently. Sensing that the children chasing him weren’t going to let him get away, Nakai turned around and caught the both of them in one swoop. Both Karo and Rara laughed loudly while their sticks dropped to the ground.

 

“Have you two eaten?”

 

Both boys answered in unison.

 

“No~”

 

Nakai looked at the time and frowned, he quickly walked to the sofa and dropped the children before making a call to Mr Liu to heat up four servings of food. Rara and Karo tried to jump at Nakai again but he was wanting to see Wang Bao and stopped them from lunging at him.

 

“Settle down now, when Mr LIu gets here, let him in.”

 

“Okay”

 

Nakai left the boys to play by themselves before leaving through the closed doors that led to the small garden area. Wang Bao was sitting silently with his eyes unfocused, Nakai didn’t announce himself at first, instead he leaned against the wall and watched Wang Bao. While sitting silently, Wang Bao rubbed his round belly. The size had gotten so large that there wasn’t much of his thighs visible when Wang Bao sat. Although it took alot for Nakai to be affected by the cold, he could feel the drop in temperature, seeing that Wang Bao hadn’t wrapped up and showed no signs of getting up, Nakai walked over.

 

“Come inside now, it’s too cold out here.”

 

“Huh? Oh, you’re back.”

 

Wang Bao smiled up at Nakai as if he wasn’t sitting out in the cold, when Nakai grabbed ahold of Wang Bao’s hands to help lift him to his feet, he could feel just how cold Wang Bao was and pulled him in to help warm his body.

 

“How long have you stayed out here?”

 

“I...I wanted to watch the sunset.”

 

Wang Bao sounded slightly dazed as he looked up at the sky to see sunset had passed a long time ago. Nakai could hear Mr Liu dropping the meals off and quickly pulled Wang Bao inside before he became blue. Inside, Rara and Karo were still playing but once Nakai called them over to the table they sat down swiftly. Nakai allowed them to eat straight away because they hadn’t eaten since who knows when. Nakai noticed Wang Bao seemed to snap back to his usual self as soon as he smelled the food on the table and he walked by himself to the table. Nakai felt something was off but didn’t know what. He barely had any appetite during their late meal since he was so focused on seeing if Wang Bao was okay, 

 

At the end of the meal, Nakai decided to drop the two kids off at their respective rooms because he wanted to have a good talk with Wang Bao and get some answers. Rara didn’t want to sleep in his own bed since he liked sleeping with Wang Bao and Nakai so much, he sat on top of Nakai’s shoulders and protested loudly while they walked down the corridor.

 

“Why can’t I stay~ I want to sleep with you and brother!”

 

Karo held Nakai’s hand quietly but he was obviously sad about sleeping alone as well, when they arrived at Wang Lei’s room, Nakai knocked on the door and Nera opened it, a little surprised to see Nakai with the two children. Karo let go of Nakai’s hand to immediately hold Nera’s, his small face looking up at him.

 

“Can I sleep with you tonight?”

 

“....Sure.”

 

Nera was shirtless and had obviously thrown on some pants but didn’t know how to reject Karo since they were becoming so much closer, Rara banged on Nakai’s head with a pout.

 

“I don’t have anyone to sleep with!”

 

Karo had an idea and craned his neck back in order to see Rara.

 

“Do you want to sleep over?”

 

Rara’s pout disappeared almost instantly and he agreed happily, Nera also perked up since he had an idea and took Rara from Nakai’s shoulders.

 

“The two of you can share Karo’s bed then. Say good night.”

 

“Good night~”

 

Nakai gave a simple wave before quickly making his way back to Wang Bao. Back in the room, Wang Bao was waiting in bed for Nakai, his hair slightly damp from his shower. While waiting, Wang Bao rubbed cream over his stretched belly, faint pink lines ran down the ballooned area. He had never had stretch marks in his life up until now and it was a hard sight for Wang Bao to take in. Various thoughts ran through his mind the more Wang Bao massaged his belly. Doubts of being a good parent, disgust with how much his body had changed as well as the horrors of his own childhood. Wang Bao didn’t know where the sudden rush of anxiety and insecurity was coming from but he didn’t like it or know how to deal with it. 

 

The sound of the door closing made Wang Bao jump slightly and he regained his usual appearance, forcing the mix of emotions away. When Nakai walked into the bedroom, Wang Bao was still rubbing cream over his belly and he walked forward.

 

“Let me do it.”

 

“It’s okay, I’m finished.”

 

The pottle of cream was put on the nightstand but Nakai leaned over and took it, he helped Wang Bao into a relaxed sitting position before scooping out some cream. Nakai pulled one of Wang Bao’s legs into his lap and massaged the cream into the soft skin. Wang Bao’s legs had thickened a lot since Nakai’s return and it pleased him to see it. Nakai used to be able to wrap his hand around one of Wang Bao’s thighs but now there was a gap between his thumb and finger when he tried. When Nakai rubbed over Wang Bao’s knees he could feel the small dimple-like scars that were left behind after years of kneeling on rough surfaces. Usually Wang Bao wouldn’t react when Nakai massaged over the area but today Nakai felt Wang Bao stiffen. 

 

“Does it hurt?”

 

“No.”

 

Wang Bao had his eyes closed but could still feel Nakai staring at him, when he finally opened his eyes, he saw that Nakai’s eyes were dark but not with anger. The dark green of Nakai’s eyes seemed to hold the densest forest and it encapsulated Wang Bao. Slowly Nakai leaned down and pressed his lips against Wang Bao’s knee, kissing the small scars.  After his lips left the scars Nakai moved up and placed his lips down against the bite mark left behind by Wang Xei. Nakai could feel Wang Bao tremble and he opened his mouth, Nakia’s teeth covered the small white marks before he clamped down hard. Wang Bao flinched from the sudden bite but didn’t whine or cry from the pain.

 

When Nakai pulled away he saw a small trail of blood running down Wang Bao’s thigh and quickly lapped it up, next Nakai moved his lips up Wang Bao’s under belly, gently kissing the red marks caused by the quick growth of their child. The higher Nakai kissed the more Wang Bao gasped for air. Finally Nakai arrived at Wang Bao’s face but he didn’t close the gap between their lips, instead he looked into Wang Bao’s eyes as he spoke softly.

 

“I need you to tell me if you’re not okay. I can’t fix you but I can help you.”

 

Wang Bao wrapped his arms around Nakai’s neck, his eyes filled with tears but he didn’t allow them to fall. When he spoke his voice was barely above a whisper.

 

“I don’t know who I am or what’s wrong with me.”

 

Nakai pressed his lips against Wang Bao’s tenderly and felt Wang Bao’s tears fall against his cheek, wetting both of their faces. Nakai hadn’t planned on doing anything sexual with Wang Bao tonight but when he felt Wang Bao pull him down, he knew it was what Wang Bao needed. Instead of getting the answers he wanted, Nakai explored Wang Bao’s body. Caressing and loving every inch before they fell asleep.

3