Chapter One
501 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Dawn was close to breaking as hundreds of royal soldiers walked their silvery haired steeds to the front of the closed royal city gates. Their bodies were clad in dark amoured clothing with the only visible skin being their stiff faces and shaved heads. While the soldiers walked forward the cries of various wives and children could be heard, giving the beautiful city a painful air. Once the soldiers settled on their horses, a large gap was created down the middle for the new King. Much like his soldiers his body was clad in dark armoured cloth and his pale face held a stiff expression; However unlike his soldiers, the King’s black hair was tied back in a tight bun. If he were to let it out, it would reach down to his ankles. 

 

With the soldiers and King showing nothing but cold faces, the only warmth among the crowd was the King’s horse; a dark chocolate brown stallion with cold eyes much to match its rider. Behind the King’s tall body the distant view of the palace could be seen, its icy grey exterior offering no warmth. The king stared forward while the stallion trotted towards the front of the small army. The strong hooves landing against the concrete at the front of the group was enough to stifle the public's wailing. The King sat atop his large horse as he gazed around his beloved city that he now faced; His soft face was still growing into that of a man but it held a firm expression, as if he was comforting the people below him with his courage. With a strong voice he called out to the masses.

 

“My beloved people, do not fear the dark in which we leave. Instead light a candle to guide us home.” 

 

Nothing else was said as the King kicked his feet back, his horse sprinted forward towards the solemn outer city streets.

 

The King's younger brother, Wang Bao, sat in his study at the second highest point in the palace. The book that he had been reading to keep his mind off of his brother's departure had been thrown to the side, instead he held a pair of gold binoculars to his teary eyes. He watched as his brother led the troops out of the royal city. The loud stampeding in the streets below was enough to cause a headache but his eyes remained focused and unblinking. As he continued watching, his voice came out in a whisper.

 

“Return safely, Lei.”

 

Wang Bao’s hands quivered but he continued to peer through the binoculars, all of a sudden his brother's small figure stopped, the dirt underneath the large horse kicking up from the sudden halt. The King flawlessly steadied his ride before turning his stern face towards his brother's study, without the binoculars Wang Bao would’ve missed the scene before him. Both Wang brothers stared at one another; Wang Bao doubted his brother could see him since he was almost a full kilometre away but he still held the stern gaze. The King’s eyes slowly dimmed with life before they filled with tears. His lips spoke out something but Wang Bao couldn’t read them quick enough to understand.

 

The tears that had threatened to spill finally slid down Wang Bao’s beautiful face and he continued to watch his Brother disappear into the horizon. With the exit of the soldiers stampeding horses, the wails of his Mother could be heard. Her raspy cries echoed off the cold streets and gave goosebumps to all of the residents standing at the royal city’s gates. Slowly, more wails and cries joined in. The sound did nothing for Wang Bao’s delicate emotions apart from worsening his headache. Without turning his head, Wang Bao spoke in a congested voice.

 

“Mr Liu, Shut the windows and draw the curtains. I don’t want to hear anymore.”

 

The older man who was Wang Bao’s head servant bowed before walking around the large turret; the sun was just beginning to rise and slowly bled light into the large room but before any warmth could enter it was cut off. Wang Bao shut the Window he was sitting in front of and then stood up. With the final window being closed the loud cries were cut off and his head felt a little better. Mr Liu fished a handkerchief from his pocket and his old hands wiped at the prince's cheeks tenderly. Despite his own tired exterior, he tried to cheer up Wang Bao with a warm smile and offer.

 

“Are you hungry, my Prince? Your Majesty gave me a box of pastries to give to you. They’re all your favourites.”

 

Wang Bao held the old man’s hands in his own, they were warm and soft, giving him comfort. A small sigh escaped his chapped lips before he nodded his head. 

 

“Prepare coffee as well, I’m tired after not sleeping for a whole night.”

 

Mr Liu bowed again before leaving the study. Wang Bao stood in the middle of the empty room before walking to his desk and switching the lamp on. The warm light gave the study a sense of life and made him feel less lonely. By the time Mr Liu had returned with the box of pastries and pot of coffee, Wang Bao had fallen asleep, his head resting gently on the book his late father had given him. The sight gave Mr Liu a pain in his chest; before Mr Liu woke Wang Bao, he begged under his breath.

 

“Your Majesty, please return soon. Your brother needs you.”

 

. . . . . .

 

In Giant country the streets were bustling with life as the sunset slowly. The citizens all adorned the colour red in one way or another as they cherrily went about their evening. The gathering of the royal family in their dining hall was more like an ice chamber if compared to the bustling streets not too far from their palace.  In the large dining Hall, the servants had all been dismissed for the family dinner. Prince Nakai sat in between his parents as he served his own meat to his plate, his head was freshly shaved thanks to the current war and it made his strong tanned features stand out even more. King Ta poured himself a large cup of wine before passing the bottle to his wife, his tone was a mix of stern but excited as he turned to his only child.

 

“Son, it’s good that you’ll be leading this war. With the giant's succession over Man country, we’ll hold the most power. Meaning we could then marry other species into our family. Within at least three generations the Ta family would have ties with all humanoids on this planet. Of course you would need to have plenty of children for this to happen.”

 

Queen Ta sipped her wine before jumping into the one sided conversation. Her cheeks were a little rosy with excitement.

 

“Who do you think should be wed to our son? The Sea people? They have always been close to us but then again, there are also the Winged people who said they would send soldiers if we ever needed it. Whoever she is though, she would have to be outstanding….But I guess if the person is good enough, then it wouldn’t be bad to find a man too. Only their body would have to be in perfect condition too.”

 

Nakai focused on cutting the meat on his large plate, his tanned hands turned pale with the amount of force he was holding his cutlery with. His mind was racing with other thoughts that he didn’t hear his Mother’s voice calling out to him; seeing his son’s rudeness, King Ta banged the table with his giant palm. The wine inside the cups jumped, threatening to spill.

 

“Are you not listening!? This is a serious matter! Winning the war will be simple enough but if you choose the wrong wife, it could be bad for the already existing relationships between our family and the other royals.”

 

Nakai’s eyes burned with anger and impatience. He would’ve liked to bark out his own thoughts like his parents were doing but he held his tongue, spitting out a single cold sentence instead.

 

“I’ll think about it while I'm gone.”

 

The table returned to its previous silence.

 

. . . . . .

 

The scene of the royal soldiers leaving the city in Giant country was the complete opposite to the send off in Man country. The long main street of the capital was filled with red lanterns, lighting the way for the giant animals carrying the soldiers. As the loud stomps of the colossal beasts drew closer the civilians began to cheer loudly. All of the civilians held small drums that were constantly spun around, the two red balls attached to the sides of the percussion instruments created a beat not too dissimilar to the beast's footsteps. Unlike the horses that carried Man countrymen, the giant’s rode large felines. Their height was grand since they stood at a similar height to a giant, only the felines were almost a foot taller. Putting this together with frightening fangs and four large white eyes that took in a full 360 of their surroundings, it made for the perfect war companion. The only thing that softened their fierce appearance was their long fluffy hair.

 

Prince Nakai led the army alongside his second in command, General Nera Ra. Unlike Nakai’s strong features and dominating aura, the general gave more of a laid back feel. His features were similar to Nakai’s but everything about him was a little gentler. Nakai paid no attention to the crowds on either side of him, keeping his gaze on the road ahead. Even when every Giant he passed threw handfuls of red grains, signifying the blood of the royals, his eyes were cold and wavering. General Nera kept pace with his prince as he shouted.

 

“The least you could do is smile at your citizens, they’re blindly praying for your victory.”

 

General Nera’s words burned Naka’s ears and whistled at the beast under him, forcing the large furry beast to race forward. Second General Nera didn’t try to keep pace since he knew he had spoken out of line.

 

It took two full days and one night of constant travel for the giant’s to reach their camp site; the was situated at the edge of an uninhibited land that curved around the south edge of Man, Dwarf and Giant country. Nakai rode his beast into the camp while the soldiers dispersed to the edge of camp to rest their tired beasts. Once inside the campsite, Nakai dismounted his beast and walked towards his tent sitting in the middle of the site, his tent was larger than the surrounding ones and the posts were a blood red. All the guards he passed saluted him but he gave no response. Unlike the other soldier’s beasts, Nakai’s oversized cat walked beside her master. With his beast beside him, Nakai lazily walked to the entrance of his tent and addressed the guard saluting him.

 

“Bring General Nera to the tent, the captains of each squadron too.”

 

Nakai let his beast enter the tent first before shutting the curtain behind him. Unlike the strong tone he used with his soldiers, Nakai softened his voice slightly when looking at his cat.

 

“Raia, are you hungry? Your pace started to slow down towards the end there.”

 

Nakai talked to his beast, as if she could answer back while he poured a large pitcher of milk into a huge bowl filled with cracked eggs. He didn’t bother mixing the large yellow and white mixture, instead he placed the bowl down beside his bed where Raia was sitting patiently. From outside the tent, the voice of his guard could be heard.

 

“Prince Nakai, General Nera and the captains are here, requesting permission to enter.”

 

“Granted.”

 

Nera waltzed in before the word had finished, his salute was also lazy while the other captains held a firm back. Nakai waved his dismissal without looking at them and he unravelled a large map onto his now empty desk. Nera took the lead and started marking various points on the map. 

 

“The forest that borders the baron area of this land is where my troops will pass through. I have been informed this is where King Lei will be headed. First captain you and Nakai have the largest squadron, therefore your troops will head straight through the clearing. Majority of Man countries soldiers should also be heading through this way.”

 

Nakai sat down quietly, not bothering to speak. He stared at his beast slurping at the milk and egg mixture. Her loud lapping helped to drown out the group of men conversing next to him. It took Nera only a few minutes to discuss the plans before the captains left the large tent. Despite being the only people in the small area the two giants didn’t speak, as if they were ignoring each other. Raia finally finished her meal then lazily stood up, taking a few steps towards Nera. Much like Nakai’s way of speaking to her, Nera’s voice was softened as well.

 

“Good girl, did you eat well?”

 

Without receiving any response from the happy feline, Nera took his own seat in front of Nakai’s desk, letting Raia rest her head on his large thighs. The weight of her heavy head seemed like nothing to him. Nera could see in the corner of his eye that Nakai was deep in thought, he was unsure whether he should speak or not but after almost a full minute of silence, he opened his mouth.

 

“It’s been 15 years already since we both enlisted. I remember when we were only young fatties. Most mornings we would sneak out and meet at the training camp to watch the soldiers perform their drills. The two of us promised to become the best soldiers in Giant country. If anyone were to look at us they would think our dreams had been achieved….But.”

 

“But it feels empty.”

 

Nakai moved his gaze to meet Nera’s. Raia’s soft snores were the only sound inside the tent for a while. Nakai slowly stood up from his chair and walked around to the front of the desk and leaned against it, looking at his childhood friend with a sombre expression.

 

“I guess we’ve reached that time in our life where we want different things and have different dreams.”

 

Nera gave a small smirk as he listened to Nakai’s words before replying.

 

“Actually what we want is the same, the only difference between us is the severity of punishment if we were to fail.”

 

Nakai removed his lingering eyes from Nera to stare at the carpet on the ground; he knew he could never hide anything from him, while still staring at the ground Nakai spoke quietly.

 

“You should get some rest then.”

 

Nera gently pushed Raia’s head to the side and stood up, both men now stood eye to eye. Their dark green eyes said more than they could out loud. Nera suddenly cleared his throat and he made his way to exit the tent, before he could lift the curtain a heavy hand caught his shoulder with a soft grip. He quickly turned around and hugged Nekai. Both men patted one another on the back with loud thuds before Nakai broke away.

 

Once Nera had left, Nakai sat on the ground next to Raia. His heart was filled with bittersweet emotions and he gently petted her soft fur as an attempt to dispel it. However it didn’t work and he could only sigh loudly.

 

Fu~ You’re all I have left Raia. Let’s take a long vacation once this is all done.”

 

. . . . . .

 

The soldiers from Man country had to travel for three full days before they reached their camp. King Lei groomed his tired horse then retreated to his own tent. His Second in command named Pan,  followed after him closely while speaking in an urgent tone.

 

“Your Majesty, will you be wanting me to gather the captains for a meeting? We need to discuss the plan of action.”

 

“No, I have written plans for each squadron. No one is allowed to enter my tent.”

 

King Lei removed his silver travelling cape from his broad shoulders, inside his shirt were the plans he had just mentioned. Before the other man could question the King, papers were shoved towards his face.

 

“Go now Pan, I’m tired.”

 

“Y-Yes Your Majesty.”

 

The General turned smoothly but before he took his leave his curiosity took the better of him.

 

“Your Majesty, I beg your pardon but, how did you find out the plans for the Giant’s army? Their royal bloodline is known for both their intelligence and strength in war. It would be impossible for an outsider to come across even a glimpse of information.”

 

King Lei poured himself a large glass of clear alcohol, a bitter smirk spread across his face but his back was facing the curious general, keeping his expression hidden. After finishing the glass in one go he turned around without a care.

 

“General, you should focus on reading the piece of paper with your name and preparing your soldiers, don’t focus on things that are out of your control.”

 

With a wave of Wang Lei’s hand the General left with an embarrassed expression. Now that he was finally alone, Wang Lei undressed, then wrapped a silk robe around his tall body. Walking over to his desk he took the pen his Father had given him and started writing on a smooth piece of paper. It took almost a full hour but once he had finished writing, Wang Lei called for his personal servant. The small older man came in once he heard his name. Wang Lei’s face was a little cold but his eyes warmed up when he saw the familiar face.

 

“Old Liu, I want you to set off to return to the palace tomorrow evening. I have something for you to give to my Brother.”

 

“Your Majesty, can your gift not wait until our victory. I’m sure Prince Bao would be more pleased to receive a gift from you, rather than a humble servant.”

 

King Lei sealed the envelope with the King's symbol. A moon inside a sun. Old Liu was waiting for a reply but instead the letter was handed over with gentle orders. 

 

“Make sure to take plenty of food and drink on your way back home, the journey is long and you're no longer in your prime.”

 

Much like general Pan, Old Liu voiced his confusion.

 

“Your Majesty, will I be returning to the camp once I have finished this task? This seems a little unnecessary since the war should be well under way once I return.”

 

Wang Lei gave out a sigh before answering.

 

Fu~ No. Look after Bao for me. That’s my final order for you.”

 

Old Liu widened his aged eyes as he stumbled forward. He had helped raise both men since their birth alongside his own brother. He had never imagined this scene would play out before his eyes.

 

“Your Majesty, have I done something to offend you? I-I am being dismissed?”

 

King Lei helped the old man stand up straight, his face finally filling with warmth and he pulled the man close into a light hug. If anyone else were to see this, they would call the royal guards immediately since the King forbade anyone aside from his immediate family to touch him.

 

“Old Liu, you’ve been there for me since the day of my birth. This final order is for your own safety, nothing else.”

 

The old man in Wang Lei’s arms was still trying to recover from the shock but he had slowed down his racing mind to think a little clearer.

 

“Your Majesty, why does it feel like you're saying goodbye? You have your Father’s strength and your Mother’s wisdom. This war will of course be short lived and victorious for you. Have faith in your abilities.”

 

Hearing Old Liu’s words felt like ice to Wang Lei and he slowly pulled away.

 

“That’s enough now, you may return to your tent. My order still stands.”

 

Old Liu gripped King Lei’s cold hands tightly, embedding every detail of the young man’s face into his old mind before taking his leave. When the tent was finally empty, King Lei let his hair out of its uncomfortable bun and stared at the mirror beside his desk, the warmth in his eyes left as soon as Old Liu had walked out. Instead the man staring back at him appeared to have no warmth inside. His black eyes were hard to read and his tall well built body was stiff. His long  hair showed off his royal status. For most of his life, he had been told he was the spitting image of his Father, personally he had never been able to see it but now, with his Father dead, Wang Lei could only see the face of his Father. A deep sadness came over Wang Lei as he stared at himself.

 

“I’m sorry for what I’m about to do, please don’t punish me too harshly Father.”

 

 

10