Chapter 16
2.4k 7 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
A small chapter, I was unsure if I should have considered it as an interlude, but as it was important I decided to schedule it as a normal chapter.

<Tony Stark POV>

June 25, 2016

I woke up suddenly when my phone vibrates.

Finding myself on one of my jet seats, I calm down a little, remembering where I am and what I'm doing here.

Taking the phone out of my pocket, I see a message from Happy, telling me that he and the kids are leaving the hotel and that they will be here soon.

While I stretch and ask F.R.I.D.A.Y. for a coffee, I can't not reflect on the last 24 hours.

 

-------------

 

It took me hours to fly to the Siberian base, enough time to reflect and calm down a little.

During the flight, I pondered on Sig's and Natasha's words.

They told me that while Barnes was the killer, he was only a weapon, devoid of his free will, forced to do his captors' bidding.

Thinking about it, I can rationally understand that he is a victim too and that harming him will give me nothing.

At the same time, I can rationally see the reason behind S.H.I.E.L.D's decision to keep me in the dark, even if I can't accept it.

I had all the rights to know the truth...

During the flight, I receive data about the 'doctor' that sent Barnes on a rampage. He was called Helmut Zemo, a former Sokovian Colonel.

He took the place of the real doctor, a man named Theo Broussard, that he killed and left in a hotel room.

Shit, Steve was right about the doctor. They may need help if he awakened the winter soldiers...

Reaching the base, I found the Quinjet, confirming Sig's words.

Knowing that the mission is more important than my personal problems, I decided to ignore them, focussing on the former.

It doesn't take long for me to find Barnes and Steve and form a temporary truce. I only needed to admit that I had been wrong in not believing them on the doctor to let us reach an agreement.

Moving on, we found that the soldiers were already killed, as Zemo had killed them. Then Zemo explained his plan, forcing us to see the video of my parents' execution, trying to break our bonds.

Luckily, already knowing the truth, I can stop myself from attacking them, restraining my rage, knowing that this is all part of his plan.

All the same, it takes me minutes of discussion with both Steve and Barnes about the death of my parents to clarify their position and obtaining their apologies.

When we leave the base, we find Zemo captured by Black Panther, who has followed us and heard the story.

He decided not to get his revenge but to let the world justice do its job, delivering him to the Joint Terrorism Task Force, to be processed for his crimes.

 

------------

 

My pondering is suddenly halted when Happy and the kids board the plane, breaking my train of thought.

"Good morning Mr. Stark," says the respectful one, while the pink-haired simply nods.

"Morning, kids," I reply, surprised by their radiant complexion.

"So how it went?" Asks pink-head with a curious expression.

"We found that it was all a plan of a man to destroy the Avengers from the inside. Using the knowledge of my parents' demise to put me against Steve." I reply, watching that he is not so surprised about what I am talking about.

"Did it work?" Peter asks, engrossed by my explanation.

Happy that at least one of them is interested in what I am telling, I answer him. "A bit, I won't be able to trust him like before, but I know that he was doing what he believed was the best thing."

"So, what will happen from now on?" Peter enquires, worry plastered on his face.

"Steve, Barnes, and Wilson will disappear, as they are still wanted. King T'Challa agreed not to say anything about the rest of the fighters. Clint will return to his family, and I'll try to convince Wanda to agree to the accords." I explain, telling them how things are going to be.

"Miss Romanov?" Sigfrid asks, seemingly disinterested in the conversation.

Rolling my eyes, I reply. "As I said, king T'Challa won't say anything to General Ross about Nat attaching him, and she signed the accords, so she will keep working as an avenger."

"So, we won?" Pink-head asks, trying to oversimplify the situation.

"Yes, we did," I reply with a sigh.

"Cool, and now?" He questions, taking me by surprise.

"Now what?" I ask, curious about what he meant.

"Me and Peter, what are we going to do?" Sigfrid replies, rolling his eyes.

"Ah, nothing different from before," I say, finally realizing what he was talking about.

"And the internship?" He asks again, wanting to understand more of my ideas.

"I wanted to sell the avengers tower now that we build the new facility. But now, I am thinking of refitting it, to use it for the September foundation." I explain, 

"How will it work?" Peter asks, inserting himself into the conversation.

Pondering for a couple of seconds, I speak about my plans. "I plan to create some labs, some comune areas, and some rooms. In this way, gifted children could develop their qualities. At the same time, I am thinking of making some separate areas, where more special kids, like the two of you, can train. Seeing how the team was nearly destroyed yesterday, I want to start forming the next generation of heroes."

"So, you want to use the September foundation as a smokescreen to assemble a team of kids to be the next Avengers?" Pink-head asks, interested in my plan.

"More or less," I confirm while nodding.

"That's not a bad idea, and it could even work," Sigfrid replies, thinking about my words.

"So, it's ok for you two?" I ask back, unsure if they will accept my proposal.

Watching his companion nodding, Sigfrid finally turns to me and answers, "Sure, we will be your Young Avengers."

86