Chapter 26
2k 6 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So, I have been kinda busy during this week, and the next one will be worse. This means that I won't be able to publish next week, but hopefully, I will be able to publish the one after.

The street keeps passing in front of my eyes as I watch through the window.
The lights of the other cars and the street lamps in the night keep me awake while my thoughts wander to the day that has passed.
We were returning from Washington DC after winning the Decathlon, and everything there went well.
Turning to the sleeping Peter seated beside me, my mind moves to the memories I have from before this life, memories of a timeline that isn't this.
Once again, what happened in one of the movies didn't happen today.
Changing the fate of Vulture's grunt has cost them their life, and this modified the timeline.
Peter never took the unstable core, never known of the attack on the damaged control's truck nor needed to save our friends at the Washington monument.

I don't even know if the attack has happened or not, as I have done nothing with the knowledge that I had. Was this the right choice?

Should I tell Peter or Mr.Stark that the father of one of our friends is the enemy that we are searching for?
Or should I stay silent, letting the others solve the problem?
What a hard question...
If I tell them, even if I find a good excuse to protect the source of my knowledge, Liz's family will be broken.
At the same time, if I do nothing, people could die trying to catch him...

Is Adrian Toomes even the vulture, or has my presence in this world changed the world so much?

I'm suddenly broken out of my reverie when a now awake Peter pokes me on the side as he stretches.
"Oh, you have woken up," I say as I focus on him, letting my thoughts go.
"Yes, where are we?" Peter asks while yawning and rubbing his eyes.
"We passed Philadelphia, so we still have another couple of hours to go before we arrive," I reply, having noticed the signs along the road even if I wasn't paying attention.
Hearing my answer, and noticing my lack of enthusiasm, Peter became confused, not understanding the reason behind my thoughtfulness.
"Mmm, ok, did something happen while I slept?" He asks, curious about my strange behavior.
"Nope," I reply, not fully aware of what he was talking about.
"Are you sure? You look troubled?" Peter asks again, surprised to see me frowning without an apparent reason.
"Oh, I was thinking..." I reply, now realizing that my reflection has caused me to frown for the last couple of minutes.
"About what?" My boyfriend asks, curious about what was able to make me frown.
"On the situation in the neighborhood," I reply while sighing, fully aware that I'm not the only one thinking about the situation.
"Ah," Peter says, darkening as he hears my words.
"Yep, I was thinking about possible solutions, but I don't know what to do." I keep explaining, unsure of which kind of approach I should use.
"Why are you thinking about it right now?" Peter asks, surprised by what I have said.
"Because I remembered a bit of one dream I had. One of that kind of dreams." I explain, bothered by remembering how I ended up in this world.
"You mean one on a potential future?" Peter asks, remembering our previous discussions on them.
"Yep," I say, thinking about how I once saw them only as entertaining content.
"Oh, you usually don't talk about them. What happened in this dream?" Peter asks, fully aware that I don't particularly appreciate talking about them.
"You know that I don't trust them anymore. We changed so much already, so how could they be truthful now?" I ask with a bit of contempt, not trusting them at all.
"We already had this conversation, so I don't understand why you are so focused on one of them now." My boyfriend says, confused by the conversation so far.
"Because I am not sure what to do. And because I have an inkling of who the criminal could be." I reply, shocking Peter, and making him gasp.
"What do you mean?" he asked, surprised by my words.
"I know who the criminal in another reality was. But this doesn't mean that he is in this one too." I answer, unsure of how to use this knowledge.
"But it's likely..." Peter replies, bothered by my uncertainty.
"Well yes, but I'm not sure. And I don't want to destroy a life for a simple doubt." I say once again, presenting him my point of view.
"You could go and spy on him till you are sure." He replies, saying it as if it were the simplest solution one could find.
"Oh. I was too focused on thinking on the moral dilemma to use the simple solution." I say, blushing a bit at his words.
The blush spreads to all my face, as the thought that I had spent hours thinking about something when there was a simpler solution in front of me all the time assaults me.
"So, that's it?" Peter asks, snickering at my blushing face.
"Yeah, that was confusing me," I reply, bumping his shoulder to silence him, but causing him to laugh harder instead.
"So, what will we do for the 23rd?" Peter asks, changing the topic of the discussion.
"Peter Parker, are you asking me to go with you to the homecoming dance?" I ask with a fake coy voice, holding back a laugh at my own words.
"Stop faking it. You will destroy the school before letting me go with someone else," Peter replies while rolling his eyes, knowing well enough that there was a tiny sliver of truth in his words.
"That's likely. Not that you will do something stupid like that." I reply with a jocking tone, not even realizing the truth hidden in his words.
"Sometimes I ask myself why I am still humoring your madness," Peter says after a sigh, before changing his position to lean on me more.
"Don't be silly, that's because you became so used to it that you won't be able to live without it," I reply, moving to let him find a better position, before cuddling a bit more.
Soon, as Peter's breath and heat calmed me, my eyelids became heavier, and sleep took me.

59