Chapter 6: Prayers and miracles
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Asri sat there, almost dumbfoundedly so, as she took in the grand figure of the Goddess. None of the education so far had informed her of what to do if she actually met the Goddess herself, so she found herself a bit at a loss. That and also she was in no mental state to fully take in the fact that a deity was standing in front of her.

 

But the story would not wait for her. The Goddess raised her hand, and a light enveloped the figure of Elrin lying on the floor. Asri gently put down Lute’s body, and walked over to Elrin, who had woken up.

 

It was like the shock of what had happened had taken down the last barrier in her heart, and so she said to Elrin, who simply looked at her without saying anything.

 

— Are you okay?

 

Elrin nodded. The Goddess looked at the both of them, as if watching a story unfold. Somehow Asri thought it was the perfect time to finally ask the questions she wanted to ask.

 

— What happened here?

 

This was a place they had never been to as candidates, and it was even stranger that she woke up just outside of it. Then someone bad was about to kill Elrin. Then the Goddess appeared. She didn’t think the Goddess just appeared out of nowhere, so this must be a rather special place. A thought came to her, so she voiced it.

 

— Is this... the chamber where the Divinity Ritual is supposed to take place?

 

At this, Elrin nodded, reticent in the same way Asri was used to. Even when so close to death, Elrin was still the same, almost fearless. As if taking some of that courage, Asri continued.

 

— Okay, so... why are you... here?

 

She was supposed to come here at the designated time when the Ritual began. It looked dark from outside just now, so she must have woken up around that time... the Goddess was here so the Ritual was a success? But what did they do actually? The only thing that happened was that Lute...

 

A voice, melodious like it was singing, cut off her running thoughts.

 

— It was simply the time for me to descend and perform the Ritual. It was meant to happen, so disruptions wouldn’t mean anything at all.

 

The way the Goddess spoke was beautiful to listen to, but what she was saying was cold. Asri felt the hope leaving her just as it was starting to emerge. In her imagination, the Goddess would be a radiant figure whose generosity must be as boundless or even more than the beautiful rumors she had heard of the Chosen Star, the vessel of the Goddess. The former was undoubtedly proven true in front of her eyes, but the latter brought her doubts. No… she was convinced that at that moment, the Goddess would not be granting her any goodwill.

 

But why was she so convinced? And was she okay with this? No!

 

How could she be okay with her beloved dying?!

 

But resignation filled her heart. Like it didn’t just happen. But this resignation had been with her for a long, long time. Like she had been forced to confront this fact over and over again, that the Goddess was simply helpless when one’s fate had simply ended. There was no saving what no longer existed.

 

So she continued what she wanted to do. She needed to know what happened. A hazy fog filled her heart. She needed to know what happened. She needed to know if the person standing of her was a friend, or a stranger,

 

— Elrin, please. Why are you here? Tell me, what happened?!

 

Elrin turned to the side, face partially obscured by uneven hair bangs. The shadow was like the dread that slowly crept up Asri’s heart, but she kept herself calm. She waited, she would wait. And then, like decades had passed, Elrin turned back to her, and slowly said.

 

— I heard that, anti-Fate forces were going to stop the Ritual. So I came here.

 

If she had not fallen asleep, then maybe she would be the one in there almost killed by the assassin, Asri thought. Perhaps Elrin was worried, and got involved when coming to check.

 

On the other hand, if it was just Asri being held by the assassin, then maybe Lute wouldn’t have died.

 

Why did she fall asleep!?

 

The Goddess stood still, dark eyes watching the silence between Asri and Elrin. It was unknown what she was waiting for, or perhaps she was simply waiting for the play in front of her to be over, for the next stage.

 

Asri clutched her dress, and breathed out. There was... there was nothing more she could do. As the familiar resignation set in, she looked at Elrin again. One final question, and this could be all over.

 

— Could you tell me...

 

The words felt painful to say, but she had to say it.

 

— Tell me... what happened to your mother, Elrin?

 

The question was asked, and Asri felt like unending ripples were made in the still water that was their friendship. She wanted it, she wanted the person in front of her to be her friend. But she could not let this stand between the two of them, not when it was so important to her.

 

She prayed, she prayed, the Goddess was right there, that it was not what it seemed. That there was a story behind it. That it was all a misunderstanding.

 

But prayers seemed to have stopped working for her. Elrin looked back at her like there was nothing to hide.

 

— My mother died because of me. I caused her to die.

 

Don’t say it!

 

— I killed my mother, Asri. And you know what?

 

No, stop!!

 

— I killed my father too. They both...

 

Please...

 
 

— They both died... because of me.

 

CLAP!

 

There was a clapping noise, and they both turned to the only other person in the room. The Goddess was clapping her hands together, like she had really enjoyed what she was watching.

 

Then she spoke, infinite power in her voice, like pulling down the curtains of it all.

 

— Let’s proceed with the Ritual.

 

———

 

What’s the Divinity Ritual? Everyone knew it was when the Goddess would descend and make a suitable young girl into the Chosen Star, her representative. The Chosen Star was mesmerizing and full of wisdom, and people in the nation flocked to the Temple of Lunacape in the capital everyday in order to have a chance of seeing her. They said it would change your life. The Chosen Star would guide you to your path, would point out the way you should go to take hold of your fate. It all sounded very esoteric, but everyone who came back from the visit had stars in their eyes, and they all found happiness and success in their life, however it was like.

 

But of course, no one but the people of the Temple itself knew what the Ritual was really like. And Asri and Elrin were about to find out.

 

The Goddess smiled like a blooming flower as she made a motion with her delicate fingers. They were all surrounded by light, and suddenly Asri could see no one, nothing, but the figure of the Goddess in front of her. She was mesmerized, and there were stars in her eyes.

 

The voice of the Goddess was like that of a wandering bard, singing and telling fantastical tales at the same time.

 

— There was once a girl and a boy. The girl was special, a chosen one. The boy was a dispensable existence. They met, and like the beautiful reflection of the moon on the lake, fell in love. But, just like how the beautiful reflection was simply a mirage, their fates were never meant to be. The greedy humans emptied the water of the lake in hope of capturing the moon, but all they did was take away a beautiful sight that could never be recreated.

 

The story was strange, like some sort of fairytale you would sing to children at night.

 
 

— The moon wished it could be captured along with the drying lake. It had been so lonely. The lake wished it could reach out to the splendid moon. It had been so lonely. So, so lonely.

 

There was a stabbing pain in Asri’s heart. It sounded so familiar. But the pain rendered her speechless. Her heart felt like it was filled with blood, but she was standing still without a single injury on her, surrounded by light so splendid it was indescribable. But the Goddess continued, heedless of her pain.

 

— Then, a miracle happened. The moon, which had remained beautiful and untouchable for the mere mortals underneath it, cried. A single tear flowed, and the tear shone brightly.

 

— The tear dropped onto the lake, which had but one last drop of water left. The two drops merged into one, and shone even more brightly. The sight was mesmerizing, a miracle the likes of which humans could not dare to understand.

 

— Then there was light. The combined drop became a star. The moon seemed to lose its brilliance next to this radiant star. The moon, which forever remained in solitude, could not hope to outshine this young star which was the spirit of that young couple. Their love!

 

The Goddess raised both of her hands like it was the climax of a great play.

 

— Their love itself had created the miracle! The strength of your love!! It was just what I have been looking for!!!

 

Then she laughed, almost maniacally, happiness spilling out of her eyes as bright as the miraculous star she had just described. And she looked straight at Asri, who was staring in a daze at the light surrounding them.

 

— All these years... and my miracle has arrived. Allow me to grant you... a miracle.

 

———

 

When Asri opened her eyes, she was in a wide field of grass. The sky was blue and bright above her. The sunlight was soft and beautiful, dancing on the tip of the grass. There was no blood on her, just a lighthearted, ticklish feeling like she was crying from happiness. The wind caressed her face ever so gently, as she walked towards an unknown destination.

 

She then saw a tree in the distance. A familiar tree. She took a couple more steps. There was a silhouette standing by the tree. She felt her steps hurrying even thought she didn’t know what it all meant.

 

When she was close enough, the person turned around. White hair in a ponytail, black eyes crinkled into a gentle smile. Before she knew it, she was already in that person’s embrace.

 

The happiness rushed out of her, tears spilling even though she was so sure there wasn’t any left. The warmth that enveloped her felt real - she had thought she could never feel it again. He was alive. Lute was alive. Her beloved, was alive!

 

If this was a dream, then she wanted it to be reality.

 

She hugged him with all of her strength, not even minding if he might be hurt in the process. It was like, if she continued to hold on, if he continued to stay in her arms like this, then he would remain here, alive, whatever this world was. She would not be left behind again. She would never be alone again.

 

He didn’t seem to mind the grip, and instead leaned further into her embrace, almost like melting into her. Comfort filled her heart, and she decided to tell him about her feelings towards him. She wanted to know if he felt the same. She wanted to look into his eyes and see her figure reflected in those beautiful black orbs, like there was nothing else in the world but the two of them.

 

But he didn’t let her. Their heads were next to each other; she couldn’t see what his expression was, and he couldn’t see hers either. But she heard him clearly, speaking right next to her ear.

 

— You... you are so...

 

His voice was muffled, like it was hard to even articulate the words, like he was being overwhelmed by something. It was a bit raspy, like he was struggling to breathe. Before she could wonder further, he finished the words.

 

— ...gullible.

 

And then, light was no more.

1