Chapter 5: Dinner with the family
412 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It is good that you could come back to have dinner with family on the weekend once in a while." The sound from my grandma interrupted me while I recalled one of the saddest moments of my previous life.

"Indeed," Grandpa agreed.

I smiled back at both of my grandparents.

In my previous life, my grandfather, Chen Jinnan, was a formation practitioner, and my grandmother, Chen Yawen, was a Golden hand farmer. Both of them got a supporting job. Like my job, a space and time mage, we were very weak in the beginning. If they had survived until the Gondola migration, their powers should rise and soar.

I looked around and asked them.

"Where is uncle Fang?"

Uncle Chen Fang was my father's little brother. He worked in a government secret intelligence agency (GSIA) for the Xia kingdom government. Due to his job's nature, he had been sent away out of town from time to time. Even at the beginning of the apocalypse, he was sent to the Xia kingdom's north border to spy on Arcadia kingdom. It was a kind of lucky coincidence that I met him during my fleeing from the capital after I lost most of my family. He had taken care of me since then. Unfortunately, he too died years later…

"Your uncle Fang could not come home this week. Everyone is busy at his office. I think he probably has been sent elsewhere again," Chen Jinnan replied.

As I was going to say something back, the servants brought several pots to our table.

"It's time to eat!" Huilong, who had been waiting impatiently, exclaimed excitedly. His stomach was protesting for quite a while now. We were all smile at his enthusiasm.

In the apocalypse period, the second thing I missed the most, apart from my family, was food. All Chen family members are foodies despite our slim bodies. Today, there were at least 18 dishes on the table in spite of having only six people in the family. There were four different flavor soup pots that continuously emitted an appetizing aroma on the table. A variety of meat and vegetable dishes had also been continuously serving, one after another.

During the dinner, I used chopsticks to give our grandparents their favorite food, fried fatty meat with string beans, and then grabbed one of the large fatty meat pieces to Dawei.

When I did that, Dawei halted and glanced at me for a minute with a look of surprise flashed through his eyes. Huilong also stared at me shockingly with unexpected eyes.

Chen Yilin, who had just lifted her chopsticks and picked up a piece of stir-fried green vegetable, snorted and said mockingly.

"You want something from Dawei, don't you?"

I laughed. "There is no such scheme, big sis. I have just felt that I would like to take care of our big brother."

"I won't believe you," Yilin replied and continued to eat on her own dish.

Dawei looked at me and nodded in an approving manner. I felt satisfied with myself.

There was nothing important in the remaining dinner. We continued to have dinner in harmony and common fashion way for about an hour. Unsurprisingly, mostly and normally, Huilong was the one who was coming up with the conversation. We were telling stories, arguing with each other, insulting each other, and laughing together from time to time.

Even though this is such an ordinary dinner, I feel very happy to be able to eat with my family again…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note

If you like it, please don't forget to favorite vote or comment to support me! Thank you! :)

Single Hamster

18