Supplementary Document – Monstrous Ecology of The Ficklewood Pt 1
542 7 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well it's only like two weeks late but here we go!

In celebration of my temporary cover being accepted I decided to go ahead and release this on the same day as the chapter!

I decided to forgo the stat sheets because those were the only things holding up the release, ideally I'll come in later and slip them in but time constraints have been an issue so I'm not really promising anything.

Well, enjoy and take notes! This is the long awaited Supplementary Document: Monstrous Ecology of The Ficklewood (part 1)

The room was musty and motes of dust long undisturbed by outsiders now dance in the beam of sunlight piercing the dark.

Imir Sandaval, [Scholar], [Druid], and [Natural Philosopher] 1A newly discovered class that he was most proud of obtaining, though not discovering himself carefully donned his [Archivist’s Gloves] and lifted the cover of the guild register to read.

The moment may seem mundane, but this was as nerve wracking to Imir as a pitched battle; the records and collected writings of his forbears were often mistreated over the years by musclebound idiots and he shuttered to imagine just how many had crumbled to dust in the hands of brutish fools hoping to find a quick and easy answer.

Even with his enchanted silk gloves, his [Breathless Mask]2an enchanted item most often used by assassins that prevents exhalation from disturbing the air or leaving residue, and his ability [Curator’s Caress]3A [Scholar] skill that helps prevent damage to documents and materials being handled., the possibility of at least slightly damaging the tome in his hands was high.

Bound in etched camphor wood and leather, inset with gold and spinel; the collected guild register of E9 Y43-674The Ninth Era, Years 43-67 was a gorgeous piece of art from the long past age of royal appointment and funding for the guild.

A treasure in all senses of the word; irreplaceable and full of information gathered and collated by the adventurers of the past to guide those who came after them.

With so many contributors, it seemed that each page was in a different hand, some delicate, others rough.

The chapter he sought was one of the most informative and neat hands, often containing detailed sketches and more exciting: transcribed statistic pages of the monsters described.

He found it; the writings of the greatest [Wild Scout] to ever serve and one of the few holders of the [Lexicon] ability, Galan Devaux.


It is hereby sworn and bonded in the name of our king and under the grace of Usvalen our one true god that I Galan Devaux, [Wild Scout] and [Ranger] of levels 129 and 51 respectively in service of the Royally Appointed Guild of Adventurers have traveled into The Ficklewood and recorded my findings truly and without embellishment or deceit here for the safety and prosperity of The Kingdom of Malcordis.

It is of mine own volition that I entered The Ficklewood, a place of monstrous ecology and mysterious origin in search of this knowledge that none may have to uninformed and by mine own choice that I continue to take upon me this risk; keep these words safe.


Though Imir was born perhaps a hundred and fifty years too late to meet Galan, he found the man’s humility and frankness refreshing and even admirable; truly he felt a certain connection to the long dead adventurer who while not a [Scholar] was certainly a scholar.

Tracing a finger delicately over the page, Imir scowled at the presence of various stains he could identify as wine, fat drippings, blood, and a few that he couldn’t place at all; a large section of the document beneath that introduction was marred beyond standard comprehension; but with his ability [Eyes of Chronos] he could read through the wear of ages stacked upon the velum. 


The ecology of The Ficklewood is most monstrous and strange, within its boughs lay perhaps the deadliest monsters I personally have recorded.

The average level of monsters therein range from 80 to 250 on average with few outliers on the higher end of the spectrum and a large number on the lower end, though those are often juveniles of their species and do not represent a prescient risk to a well prepared adventurer of C rank or higher.

From here I will list the most pressing dangers one may commonly encounter within the wood.


Species: [Alarune]
Average Level: 100 - 130
Average Threat Ranking: C+ to B-
Type: Plant, Seducer, Mind Element
Categorization: Locally [Field Mob], Elsewhere [Field Boss]

The [Alarune] is a deadly bloom of monstrous origin and intent, though it smells sweet and graces the eye with fairness and beauty, it should not be trusted. With the appropriate preparations, they offer minimal threat but are known to be crafty and vindictive.

The truth of the [Alarune] is much less attractive than its appearance would suggest, the flower’s roots must feed on fresh blood and the marrow of bones. It is my supposition that [Alarune] are an evolution of the more commonly encountered [Vine Blight] or perhaps [Green Man] learned in charming magic and illusion as a means of obtaining its carnivorous sustenance.

The [Alarune] blossoms in early spring from the bodies of the dead and grows a great flower, fruiting a false body sheathed with illusory form in shape of a woman to lure in man and beast alike; many may find their looks and charms irresistible even without the consideration of mind influencing magic.

Should you meet a woman of unearthly beauty in The Ficklewood smelling of blossoms, do not meet her eye, else your will may be tested and your mind may not be your own; when traveling into the Ficklewood it is wise to carry a charm or spell that prevents your senses from taking leave in the face of magic and to be suspicious of any others you meet regardless of whether or not you recognize them.

Most important to note, the only way to be completely assured of their destruction is to burn them to the root.


Species: [Razorfang]
Average Level: 90 - 150
Average Threat Ranking: D+ to C+ (While Alone) B- to A (When in packs)
Type: Bestial, Cooperative Hunter, Winter Element
Categorization: Locally [Field Mob], Elsewhere [Field Boss]

[Razorfangs] are a Beast-type wolf monster with a slight connection to the Winter element, though individually they offer little threat to even a well prepared D rank adventurer, their coordination and tactical skills in groups can threaten even an A rank in some circumstances.

[Razorfangs] have a number of incremental evolutions that I have yet to personally catalogue but each tier above the most basic form simply increases their deadliness and grants new abilities. I personally have seen several capable of rudimentary elemental magic that can inflict debuffs and DoT effects that require mid level magic to dismiss.

In my observations of [Razorfang] packs, I’ve noted a tactic relatively distinct to them; they will often track prey for hours and move in only after another predator has engaged, swooping in to mop up the survivor of the bout.

A number of them are intelligent enough to communicate as a man would through telepathic contact, though their minds are simple and often focused on survival; though I personally have never encountered such, a number of other sources claim that their most powerful evolution is capable of true speech in the human tongue, a baseless rumor no doubt.

The [Razorfang] is best avoided, if engagement is necessary remember to have status-clearing magic of third tier or higher available for yourself and all party members; take care not to relax too easily after slaying an enemy.


Species: [Apidean]
Average Level: 30 - 80
Average Threat Ranking: E to C- (Alone) A (When Swarming)
Type: Insectoid, Cooperative Builder, Non-Elemental
Categorization: [Field Mob]

[Apideans] are large bee like monsters that while not immediately hostile will quickly attack should you stray too close to their hives without permission. Almost harmless alone, they swiftly become a threat rivaling even the deadliest foes when swarming.

The [Apidean] is rather unique amongst the denizens of The Ficklewood, living and working together with fellows in hive-cities built into the oldest trees or in caverns along the cliff faces.

[Apideans] are notably one of the few ‘honorable’ monster species, regardless of what the church specifies regarding how they are to be handled, one should never antagonize them if it is possible to avoid conflict.

Their bodies vary in shape and size depending on their purpose within the hive, but all share the distinctive yellow and black coloration, compound eyes, antennae, and almost furry abdomen.

In my travels through The Ficklewood I spent a number of weeks in the hive of a young queen by her invitation and though her mouth could not form human words, her mind was capable of reaching out to mine as easily as her subjects.

I found her a pleasant conversationalist and a fellow curious soul, and it is my hope that through this entry I can preserve her colony from assault by the guild. Though I did not have the authority to make a true promise on behalf of the guild, I did inform her of my intentions to broker an agreement of mutual non-interference on her behalf.


Species: [Boneshamble]
Average Level: 180 - 300
Average Threat Ranking: B-
Type: Undead, Grudgebearer, Pain Element
Categorization: Locally [Field Boss], Elsewhere [Raid Boss]

[Boneshambles] are the deadliest individual creature I have had the displeasure of encountering within The Ficklewood. They have no soul, no mercy, and no mind beyond a jealousy of the living.

Easily identifiable by the faint stench of rot, their composition of mixed skeletal remains, and their penchant for collecting and carrying the skins of living things which I personally have confirmed they remove from still breathing victims.

[Boneshambles] are perhaps, I hope, a unique permutation of undead endemic to The Ficklewood formed of mixed remains and possessed with a desire to rejoin the living despite their incomplete state.

While it is never safe to approach one, they are most dangerous when damaged and missing parts or when their outer fleshy covering is becoming old and dry as they will actively seek out living things to replace these portions. It is notable that they strike to disable rather than kill so they might flay living flesh in a fruitless attempt to apply it to themselves.

The most horrifying and deadly of their number are those that hold with them the bones of fallen Adventurers as they remember a number of their skills from life; they speak in a garbled unfamiliar tongue and at times may come to the rescue of living adventurers before turning on them in a terrible wrath.

Should you hear a human like howl of rage echo throughout the woods, I recommend that you flee as quickly as your legs can carry you; stealth will do you little good in the face of these monstrosities.

21