Prologue
130 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I yawned, then smacking my lips together. I looked down at the bagel that was in my grip and opened my mouth, taking a bite of it, then pulling away as I chewed.

The noisy sounds of cars, people, and footsteps surrounded me as I walked in the street, and I didn't feel anything but light-headed and anxious amidst them. I was never one to like crowds. I'm introverted and a little of a sociopath. I don't talk much, and I don't like communicating with others, because I detest doing such actions.

With my experience in relationships over the past years, it didn't take me long to realize that people are in love with prevarication. They're a selfish and uncaring species that just have great pretenses. They hide that tactless side of them to try to seem lovable to others, and they'll do anything to conceal that wrong side about them.

But, it's not just narcissism they hide. They hide many things. Because of the fear of losing their cherished ones and alike, they keep quiet about their authentic thoughts. Just the mere idea of being left alone petrifies them like no other. 

And, this is why you can never tell when someone truly admires you. Because of how accustomed people are to hiding their genuine selves, they will try to lie to keep you contented.

But is it better that way? Is it better to hide your true self?

I’m not sure at all. 

Because wanting to always hear the truth is virtually the same thing as reading their minds. And, if you could read the minds of others, and reveal that reticent truth of theirs, the world we used to call majestic and delightful would turn into an unforgiving and cruel one.

I breathed out, only to feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. Without any slowness, I pulled it out to check who it was.

Himari Iwasaki

There was a feeling of regret and displeasure as I eyed the name that was on my screen. I didn't answer, but simply stood still on a sidewalk and patiently waited for her to stop calling.

Then, after a few minutes, she'd finally stop and sent a text message.

Okumori-kun, please answer me.

I hovered my fingers over the text box but lowered them a few seconds after, and started to debate my actions. I took another bite from my bagel before turning off my phone and shoving it in my pocket.

I don't want to answer her.

As I stepped forwards, something hit my shoe. I blinked, moving my bagel to the side as I looked down.

There was a… Small brown teddy bear...?

It sat beside my foot peacefully, which caused me to ask numerous questions in my head rapidly.

Then, there was a giggle, followed by rapid footsteps.

I looked over, starting to assume that the owner was coming to retrieve its belongings.

Though, as I looked over, there was a baby girl that had been running across the street. Confusion filled my head with the questions of:

"Where are her parents? Is she alone? If so, how has nobody spotted her and tried to find her family?"

As I watched her, I noticed the pedestrian light behind the little toddler.

It was a hand with all five fingers raised, with the color being bright red.

And so, it hit me like a ton of bricks to what was currently happening.

The pedestrian light is red. A kid is running towards me. Cars are passing by.

I moved my eyes to the right and saw a truck driving, which erupted a loud, blaring horn as the driver spotted the girl.

I dropped my bagel and instantly rushed forwards. My steps soon turned into long strides, and it only took me four steps to reach the girl's distance. I crouched down and set my hands under her armpits, then lifted her in a hurry.

The baby let out a squeal, then a hiccup once I raised her. I ignored it, turning around and trying to run back.

But I slipped. And once I felt this misstep, my heart sunk like never before. It felt like an arrow struck me.

There was only one question now in my head:

Am I going to die?

Then, my other foot lunged forwards from pure instinct, using whatever strength I had left to pull my remaining foot away from the trucks' path. I dived forwards, landing on my front with the baby still in my hands.

A hefty sigh of relief exited my body, followed by heavy breathing. I groaned and rolled over, and looked at the child that was in my grasp.

It looked down at me with a blank expression, then releasing a fart with a soft-hearted giggle.

"... I hate kids." I sharply muttered.

I rose from the floor and eyed my clothes, spotting the gray marks and brown dirt present. I then looked back up at the girl, who had her head tilted and observing me.

In response, I looked at her back with a sickened look.

She just pooped her pants, didn't she? That fart of hers didn't sound normal.

I lifted my right hand and placed it on the back of her shirt, and raised her using my index finger and thumb to distance the two of us. I then kneeled over, grabbed the teddy bear on the floor, and handed it to the baby.

She laughed and wrapped her arms around it, hugging it tightly.

"Hey! What are you doing with my child?!" A voice shrieked.

I looked over and felt relief. But, as well as slight anger for the person's poor parenting.

"Are you abducting her?! I'll call the police!" She yelled.

I shook my head to her angered claim calmly, trying to keep myself under control.

Her rankled yelling made me aggravated as soon as I heard it. I wanted to insult her and scream at her about how terrible of a parent she was. But, I knew it wouldn't make the situation any better, so I kept quiet.

"Stop lying to me! You're just trying to kidnap her, aren't you?!"

I shook my head once more. This time, more firmly.

"Shut up! You're just a freak! You're terrible! Pedophile!" She pointed at me.

I bit my lip in anger, so hard to the point where I could taste the metallic blood that came out of it.

Huh…?

People who blame others without any explanation and just out of spite infuriates me to the utter core. I especially loathe those types of people. They can’t fathom to blame themselves for the mistakes they make, so they resort to placing that blunder on others. It downright disgusts me.

It’s just a bright red light that screams selfishness.

And I despise selfish people.

However, once more, I kept silent with these insulting words. As annoyed as I was, I didn't want to make this situation any more complicated than it already was.

Soon, I’d realize that multiple people were starting to surround us, beginning to whisper insulting comments as I held the baby in hand.

Yet, this confused me. Did no one see me save a child who was about to get run over? Did no one hear a loud truck blaring?

I pulled my teeth away from my lip and sighed, approaching her and handing her the baby.

"Shut up already." I angrily muttered at her, giving her a vehement glare.

The woman became mute after I handed her the child. However, her angered expression didn’t change, continuing to scowl at me back in silence.

“Excuse me? What did you just say?” She spat.

I stepped back, then turning around and walked away from them.

“Hey! Come back here! I’m calling the police!”

As I stomped my way, there was something that I remembered.

It is inevitable to be hated.

No matter the good you do in the world, you can never please everyone. You don’t ever please everyone. That’s just an unattainable dream. Because, even with your talent of altruism, people will still earn and hold a disdain from you, just as if you were some cattle waiting for the day it gets butchered.

But, I knew that already, didn’t I?

No matter how much I try, it always falls short.

As I recognized this, I also remembered how much I hated the world.

As elegant and grandiose as this world may seem, it is just a simple disguise to how the inhabitants of this planet genuinely are. It is nothing more than a world of hatred, hostility, resentment, and disfavor.

So, I, Okumori Toshiro, absolutely despise this malevolent world. 

1