151 – Plan of Attack
433 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sodan approached the suit, looking it over, tracing his fingers over its plating, looking in what few seams it had, even sniffing it. Without so much as getting a peek inside, he looked up at the mechanic and, eyes narrowed, asked: “You almost had me with the heat-shielding line, but you missed one crucial detail. The Type-7b C-HS was not only never adopted, it never left the facility due to how easily the coating chipped off. None outside an extremely small group of people could’ve known how to replicate it, and you were not among them. What did escape that facility was… Type-7h E-HM.”

“I-I’ve no clue-” the inventor began, but the fear and realization of his lie being caught was evident. 

“Quit trying to blow smoke up my ass and just tell me the truth, Burgess,” the tankman growled. “Did you or did you not incorporate hemomancy into the suit?”

“I- Yes. Y-you must understand, I knew that I was among the few who could control it, even if only for a time! And you… It’s hard not to believe the rumors. I wagered that you would be better-suited to controlling the Zero than any man alive or dead.”

Surprised and put on-edge by the mention of hemomancy, Alcerys questioned, “Blood magic? How do you even build blood magic into a walking tank? And why would it make the machine any harder to control?”

Blood magic wasn’t banned under Grekurian law per se, but it was far enough into the gray area that if one wanted to practice it, one would have to expect tighter standards than many other, arguably more dangerous forms of magic. It was certainly the most troublesome for Inquisitors, as its practice varied from benign harvest sacrifices of livestock, to actual human sacrifice, and everything in between - and it was all up to them to deal with unrest caused by its practice. 

“These machines,” Sodan knocked on the Zero’s chest plate. “Are nearly half pure cold-iron by mass, and stuffed with more magic than many see in a lifetime besides. The Type-7 E-HM was a core part of a system intended to harness the blood of a Tankman’s victims to enhance the suit’s characteristics and facilitate rapid arcane self-repair in combat. The first and only prototype was found to develop a mind of its own very quickly, one that grew increasingly more violent and unstable through each test run. Those with sufficient skill and experience were able to control the beast, but the war was getting desperate by that point and they kept pushing for further testing even while none of us were there to do it safely… V1, as we called it, eventually took full control during a test run and slaughtered its way out of the testing facility, supposedly using blood magic to puppet the body of its pilot and bypass the mechanical lockouts. It was filed as the V1 Incident and buried.” 

“And your name was recorded as the “pilot’s” last words, yes. I hope this doesn’t-” Burgess began.

“Of course I’ll pilot Zero,” Strake cut him off with an ice-cold stare. 

“...Good. Now, I do believe we have much to discuss, and you will need time to get acquainted with Zero. His control layout is a little unusual. I would warn you not to unintentionally start the engine and all the other precautions, but I doubt you need such warnings.”


Some time later, the trio worked on solidifying a clear plan of action. Meanwhile, Strake examined Zero’s every nook and cranny and Alcerys did breathing exercises in an effort to store Ignis within the Eye of Judgment and Emberthorn both…


“Overmorrow, there’s to be a public execution of several supposed war criminals in Lighthouse Square, and I am absolutely certain that it will be used to spark a riot to justify mass arrests, since the area is already heavily-guarded as-is and there are certain to be paid provocateurs amongst the crowd. I had planned to time my own escape attempt with the event, but considering the circumstances, it would be best to wait until the event and interrupt the execution before it can proceed. The occupation will be severely disrupted by the unrest caused by a First-model’s older sibling smashing through checkpoints combined with a…” Burgess trailed off, only to stop himself and glance at Alcerys.

“...My apologies, but who are you again?”

It was true that Alcerys had unintentionally slid back into her inquisitorial habits, allowing Strake and Burgess to keep each other's attention. She almost felt numb, having partially dissociated from anything but the driving forward momentum of getting to Burgess so she would have an excuse for purging the filth from this city, regardless of whether they wore a Pateirian or Grekurian uniform.

She looked at him, allowing an exhalation of Fog to escape her before she flatly stated who and what she was.

“Alcerys, Renegade Inquisitor and your most direct throughline to Crovacus Estoras. I was contracted to make sure that you and your work both reach Willowdale...” she began, then nodded towards Strake. “...And that he doesn’t just run off with either.”

Carrying on, she raised her left hand, showing Burgess the Eye and exposing the charred, distorted surface of her armor in the same movement, “Contract aside, I have been divinely appointed to carry out judgment upon all those who think themselves beyond reproach - conveniently, that includes those responsible for this so-called occupation. Speaking of which, might you share details? We have partial information, but it’s just that. Partial.”

Burgess stared into the Eye wide-eyed and unresponsive until Alcerys put it away, at which point he blinked several times and shook his head, stuttering out a response as he tried his best to regain his bearings. 

“I ah- A Renegade you say? Weren’t there only two ever and- Nevermind that, you asked the right question. Yes, the old occupation was effectively no more than the Pateirians and Grekurians assigning advisors to the mayor, but since the mayor died in the attack, they disappeared. No assassination that I know of, they just went poof…”

I’d greatly appreciate it if you could leave a review. Reviews weigh heavily in the eyes of the algorithm (not to mention prospective new readers), so that pretty much means they determine the success of my work. A single review or even just a rating can noticeably influence the novel’s performance, especially when it has few ratings overall like this one does as of me posting this.

 

PS: Patrons get access to content in advance, for the time being these are ten (10) advance chapters and some previews of other stuff, but I plan to expand the rewards as the Patreon grows.

Discord for inadvertent spoilers from yours truly: https://discord.gg/TX5F7x8hUw

If you want to help fund my crippling addiction to commissioning art, you can do so below! As mentioned above already, Patrons gain access to advanced chapters as well as special discord roles, plus some other exclusive content.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/akasoindustries

18