Chapter 7 – Convergence
11 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rays of the afternoon sun glimmered through the tall canopy of the forest as a low, guttural snort sent birds flying away. The large boar darted through the dense brushes, its sight set on the shield-wielding taur woman in front of him.

Bracing herself, Vala sidestepped and turned, slamming her shield into it and sending it tumbling to the ground. Still dazed, the boar got up and charged again. But just as it started, the taur maiden rammed the edge of her shield into the beast’s head. When Bane’s daggers plunged into its neck, it squealed and drew its last breath.

You have gained 25 experience points. (-50% Party Penalty)
You have reached level 2!

“Finally,” Bane sighed. “Four boars for one measly level. And again, why the penalty on experience gains?!”

“Because it’s easier,” said Vala, rolling her eyes. “And it doesn’t get much easier than just finishing off a dazed and wounded mob.”

“Well, excuse me for just doing the easy part.”

“What’s a mob?” asked Mia, raising her gaze from the status window in front of her.

“Another word for an in-game monster,” said Vala as she broke the corpse’s large tusks and stored them in her inventory. “Still, don’t you guys think it’s a bit quiet?”

“How so?” asked Bane as he found a large rock to sit on. He sighed, wiping the sweat from his forehead, a few beads dripping into his furred cheeks as the taur replied.

“I mean we’ve been going for a while now and we barely found four boars, even though we’re the only ones here.”

He looked around them. True, they were already deep within the forest. And the deeper they had gone, the fewer animals they had seen. “I don’t know. Prism hasn’t exactly been a ‘paint-by-numbers’ sort of game until now.” He assigned his ten status points to Agility, Endurance and Vitality, before turning his attention towards his Skills Window.

Dagger Proficiency (Passive)
Rank: Apprentice Level: 1 (0.8%)
Skill Scope: Weapon Proficiency
You have grasped the basics of utilizing your daggers. As a result, you deal more slashing and piercing damage when using daggers.

 

Bonus Slashing & Piercing Damage: 5.0%

“I’ve got a new skill!” grinned the lycan. “Dagger Proficiency.”

“I got Shield Proficiency,” said Vala, knocking twice on her dented shield. “Got it right after that second boar we killed. And I got two skills just now. Here, let me share them with you.”

Shield Proficiency (Passive)
Rank: Apprentice Level: 1 (0.8%)
Skill Scope: Weapon Proficiency
You have grasped the basics of using your shield. As a result, you can now mitigate more damage when blocking with your shield and you deal more blunt damage when striking with it.

 

Damage Blocked: +5.0%

Blunt Damage Dealt: +5.0%

Shield Strike (Skill)
Rank: Apprentice Level: 1 (9.2%)
Damage Type: Blunt
Deliver a devastating blow with the tip of your shield, stunning your enemy into submission.

 

Stun Duration: 2 Seconds (10 Seconds Effect Cooldown)

Stamina Cost: 15
Damage: 15.75
Shield Bash (Skill)
Rank: Apprentice Level: 1 (16.9%)
Damage Type: Blunt
Daze and knock your foe back by ramming it with your shield.

 

Daze Duration: 1 Second

Knockback Distance: 1 Meter

Stamina Cost: 10
Damage: 10. 5

Bane scratched his head. ‘Okay… note to self: killing blows do jack. I should just focus more on combat rather than going for some flashy executions.’

“Vala, let me try something out,” said Mia as she opened her tome to a gilded section and began to mutter quietly to herself.

With every soft-spoken word, the blonde woman’s eyes grew brighter. She then raised her hand towards the shield maiden and yelled. “Mending Light!”

Mending Light (Spell)
Rank: Apprentice Level: 1 (4.0%)
Magic School: Light
Call upon the favor of the Lady of Shattered Light, allowing you to channel healing energy into a spell.

Oh, Lady of Light!

Of you I do seek,

Heal their plight,

Cast off what is weak!’

Mana Cost: 15
Spell Power: 10.4
Chantless Cast Time: 1.5s
Cooldown: 10s.0s

The air around Vala shimmered, her health regenerating up to full within a matter of moments. “That’s… amazing,” she said, seeing the already fading bruises on her shield arm disappear instantly. She then came closer, leaning in to inspect Mia’s tome. “What else can you do with that book of yours?”

“Uhm, I can restore a part of your stamina as well. I can’t really understand everything else in here… the letters just seem to spin around whenever I try to read them.” She then handed the tome over to Vala before continuing. “Maybe there’s some sort of a… level limit?”

Tome of Shattered Light (Enchanted Item)
Used by followers of the Lady of Shattered Light, this enchanted tome contains spells taught by the Lady to her faithful few. It also holds knowledge passed down along the ages from the tome’s previous wielders.

 

Light Spells Effects: +20%

Chanted Light Spells Effects: 100% Increased Efficiency

Equipment Slot: One-handed Spell Focus Encumbrance: 2
Durability: 100/100 Spell Power Bonus: +10

Vala’s eyes grew wider. “Yeah, it could very well be some level or stat requirement behind the spells. But the more I look at it, the more ridiculous this tome gets.”

“That’s the ridiculous part?” the lycan scoffed. “How about the fact that those ovals on the map are all dungeon markers? I mean, knowing the location of that many dungeons early on is an insane advantage. But this quest…”

 
Shattered Faith
Update: Throughout the years, some of the hidden shrines and temples of the Church of Shattered Light have fallen into ruin. Fueled by mysterious sources of energy, these perilous places have become dungeons, overrun by dark forces that seek to undo all those that would dare approach.

Explore the dungeon’s surroundings and venture inside to see if you can uncover more answers.

Quest Difficulty: C

“I mean, why is it so vague? What should we even expect?”

“That’s why we’re here,” said the taur woman, “trying our best to prepare.”

“Prepare for what?” he asked. “We don’t know what we’ll find inside and we pretty much have no way of attacking from a distance.”

With her eyebrow raised, Vala pressed him further. “So then do you want us to just give up?”

“Hell no. I just think we should maybe look for another ranged party member.”

“I don’t know,” she replied. “Think about it. What are the odds that whatever party member we get won’t just try to beat us to the punch with the other dungeons once they’re done with us?”

The thought had indeed crossed his mind, yet Bane chose to maintain his optimism. He got up and began to stretch. “We’ll burn that bridge when we get to it. Now, let’s get going. That cash isn’t gonna grind itself.”

They resumed their trek and header further into the forest, on the lookout for any sort of movement. Hearing just the crunch of the leaves underfoot and the snapping of twigs made it all the more eerie. Especially since the three had also begun to see several scraps of fur strewn across the forest floor, but met no other animal.

They advanced until a gentle headwind brought about a foul odor all around them. And as they stepped foot into a small clearing, the stench now wholly overpowering, they came face to face with a monstrous boar.

Oblivious to the presence of the three, the beast took a bite out of a rotting wolf carcass and snorted greedily, disturbing several of the flies circling around it. More than anything, its frame resembled that of a small bear, with giant curved tusks jutting out of its mouth.

Upon seeing it, a knot formed in the back of Bane's neck. The embellished level 4 icon next to the boar’s health and nametag looked nothing like those of the other mobs. ‘Royal Tyrant…? What the hell is that? An elite monster or…? And can we even beat it?’ The lycan shook his head and unsheathed his daggers. But as they got ready to strike, a sudden gust of wind blew from behind them.

The boar’s nostrils flared, and just like that, the three’s element of surprise had evaporated. The beast squealed and changed towards Mia. But as she closed her eyes, Vala stepped in.

The taur woman firmly rooted her feet and bashed the boar to the side. Numbness enveloped her arm, but the feeling soon faded. She raised her shield and charged the beast. The boar shook its head and snorted. No longer dazed, it rushed into her. But even with her head start, the beast still managed to send her flying back as well.

You have been hit! -17HP.

She braced herself and broke her fall, rolling back to her feet. ‘Shit… I even blocked!’ However, as she braced herself for another clash, she saw Bane leap out of the brushes as his dagger pierced into the boar’s side. Before she could join in to help him, the beast jerked violently, throwing the lycan into a nearby tree. Seeing more than half of his health vanish, Vala unleashed a booming shout and bashed the boar’s skull, sending the creature reeling! The tip of her shield then crashed into its skull, stilling it.

“M-mending Light!” yelled Mia, trying to suppress her panic. As Bane heaved himself up, the air around him began to glow and shimmer. With him out of any immediate danger, and Vala keeping the boar preoccupied, she closed her eyes and drew a deep breath. She cracked her tome open and focused on the lycan, her voice rising with each word she chanted.

“Oh, Lady of Light! Of you I do seek… Heal their plight, cast off what is weak!”

This time, bright light swirled around Bane, restoring his health back up to almost full the moment it dissipated. Nodding towards her, he then ran and circled around the monstrous beast. But instead of trying to stab the boar again, he slashed at the beast’s hind leg. He then jumped back, narrowly avoiding another hooved strike as a pained squeal resounded throughout the small clearing.

Now maimed and slowed, the boar could only sit there and tank the taur woman’s barrage of mace and shield blows. And as it took another wobbly step back, its health almost gone, Bane jumped onto its back and jabbed both of his daggers into the beast’s jugular.

A final thud echoed throughout the forest, the moment the large, lifeless body hit the ground, blood pooling around the slain boar.

You have learned Backstab (Skill)!
Backstab (Skill)
Rank: Apprentice Level: 1 (16.9%)
Damage Type: Piercing
Deal bonus damage by attacking your opponent from behind. Has a small chance to inflict a Bleeding effect on the target.

 

Bleed Duration: 5 Seconds

Bleed Damage: 2.1/Second

Stamina Cost: 10
Damage: 21
You have gained 210 Experience points. (-50% Party Penalty)
You have reached level 3!
 
The Royal Tyrant(Bounty Quest)
The areas surrounding Alissey’s Royal Woods have been plagued by a recent string of attacks caused by a massive boar.

This beast, dubbed the Royal Tyrant by the people, has until now eluded capture. Due to this fact, the Adventurers Guild has placed a small bounty on the beast’s head. To claim your reward, go to the Guild’s headquarters in Alissey and present the Tyrant’s head.

 

Quest Difficulty: D

Do you accept this quest?
YES NO

“Shit,” sighed Bane, his breath finally beginning to settle down, “we actually did it.” Still wide-eyed, Mia just nodded. Vala, on the other hand, extended her hand and gestured for him to come closer. “What is it?”

“You read the quest. Pass me your dagger.”

A bit surprised, he nonetheless handed the taur woman one of his blades. She quickly got to work, severing the flesh around the boar’s neck, and then using her shield to snap the spine. “Hm… should we try to skin it as well?”

“S-skin it?” asked Mia, the complexion of her face shifting the more she watched the scene in front of her unfold.

“Yeah,” said Vala, fiddling with the dagger in her hand. “It looks pretty sturdy. So, we could probably get a leatherworker to make us something halfway decent out of it. And luckily enough, there’s not that much damage from the fight.”

“If you’re offering,” grinned Bane, “then by all means!”

“No offense, but if I were to let you do it, we wouldn’t have enough for a bracelet.”

As the lycan’s smirk slowly waned, Vala’s smile only widened.

 

****

 

At the center of the bustling Trade District, stood the Adventurers Guild. Two stories taller than the surrounding buildings, the Guild’s headquarters saw a steady stream of people coming and going.

Leaning against the edge of one of the entry halls’ booths, was a young, redheaded woman. And although one could clearly see her starting gear, identical to that of the other players, the red, hooded cloak she had draped over her shoulders made her stand out from the crowd.

“Alright, miss Erin. Thank you for waiting.” Upon hearing the receptionist’s voice, the redheaded woman turned around. Dressed in a simple, yet elegant black uniform, the elderly lady behind the counter slid a piece of parchment towards her, together with an embossed medallion.

The receptionist continued. “I’ve completed your registration. You can now accept requests posted on the Guild’s bulletin board. If you happen to see anything to your liking, please just tell us so that we can register the order number with you. You can find any relevant information on the bottom of every request, but should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask us!”

“Thank you,” she smiled, taking the medallion and the piece of parchment. “I’ll be sure to tell you if I find anything.”

Nodding, Erin turned around and prepared to head over to the bulletin board, when both the Guild’s doors swung open. Three people entered the hall, one of which held a large, decapitated boar’s head, a trickle of blood still dripping from its neck. And as they walked past her, she heard the lycan whispering: ‘You could’ve left the damn thing in your inventory for a little longer, you know?’

A smile creeped over the redheaded woman’s lips as she said goodbye to the receptionist. She walked within earshot of the three and waited for them to finish their registration. While the 15 gold reward for the bounty the three had completed certainly paid well, Erin had other plans, so she turned to leave just as the lycan spoke again.

“With this much, we should be able to get some decent gear before we enter that dungeon!”

‘Oh… a dungeon? This early in the game?’ Her interest now peaked, the redhead watched as the tall, taur woman elbowed the air out of the lycan, telling him to shut it. And as the three left, she followed closely behind, raising her hood above her head.

 

****

 

Walking out of the leatherworker’s shop, Bane struck a pose, puffing out his chest and resting his hands on his shoulders. “So, what do you think?” he asked as he lowered his voice, somehow managing to keep a straight face. Above his starting shirt, he had donned a thick, leather tunic which covered most of his torso, including a significant part of his shoulders. That, paired with his new reinforced leather bracers and leg guards, provided him a decent amount of protection.

“Ditch the attitude,” grinned Vala, her new chainmail glimmering in the sun’s light, complete with iron gauntlets, and sabatons reaching all the way above her knees. With these new additions, their frontline had become a whole lot sturdier.

“I think you both look nice,” said Mia, beaming a genuine smile towards the two as she wore her new light-blue robe.

“You sure that robe’s all you wanted?” asked Vala. “We could’ve gotten you a lot more with the money we got from that bounty.”

“No, it’s fine,” she answered, spinning around once and smiling at her attire. “I would have liked for it to be white… but I’d rather avoid giving people the wrong impression.”

“Indeed,” nodded Vala. “By the way, how much do we have left?”

“We still have a bit over 6 gold,” said Bane, his lips then curling into a cheeky smile. “I also left him the leather we got from the elite boar and asked him to make us something a little special!”

“Wait,” said Mia, a puzzled look her face, “so then you only spent two gold on your gear and that custom order?”

“I told him he could keep the excess leather after he finishes with our order, so he waived the crafting fee. Now, let’s pay a visit to the general goods store.”

With both the city guards and the Conclave scouring the streets for whatever reason, they kept their heads down and minded their own business. They then stopped by the general goods store and made stock of what they’d need, while also selling the odds and ends they got while hunting boars earlier. In the end, they left with the basic necessities, such as flint and tinder, some healing salves and several days’ worth of rations. Just to be on the safe side, they also got torches, a compass and a map of the surrounding area.

They began their trek towards the oval marker closest to them, located at the foothills of a Harkonnen mountain range, a full day’s journey away from them. The first part went by without an incident as they walked west, along the main road leading away from Alissey.

They passed by caravans drawn by various beasts of burden, and even saw a large, guarded convoy made up of floating wagons. The dwarven warriors surrounding the convoy kept their distance from the shimmering, gray crystals placed at the bottom of each wagon, their gaze instead fixed on the three of them. As the humming of the floating convoy dwindled behind them, they soon veered right and headed north, leaving the stone paved road behind.

The final stretch took them through a densely forested area. The shiny, dark-green bark of the trees stood in stark contrast to the light-blue of the leaves that made up the forest’s canopy. But the waning light and their empty stomachs soon forced them to set up camp.

Vala had a fire going within minutes. And with the other two already snacking on some dried fruits and meat, she leaned against a nearby tree and joined in with them.

“I’ve never camped outside before!” Mia smiled, the excitement on her face clearly visible.

“Most people haven’t,” Bane whispered, his eyes fidgeting around them. “And I can see why. It’s creepy as hell come nighttime.”

“I don’t know,” said Vala as she took a small bite out of something resembling a small potato. “I’ve always found it relaxing to be surrounded by nature, and not just cooped up inside.”

“Hah,” he sighed, “I know another outdoorsy-type that’d definitely agree with you.”

“You mean that friend of yours that you keep talking to?”

“Yup. We promised to meet up later, once the three of us are done with this dungeon. If we can even find the damn thing. Hey… I know people don’t usually ask this sort of thing, but call me curious. What do you two do for a living?”

Seeing Vala’s raised brow and Mia’s expression, like that of a deer in headlights, he quickly continued. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to be insensitive. It’s just that apart from Drake and my dad, I haven’t actually gotten the chance to talk to that many people in the last couple of years.”

“No, it’s okay,” grinned Vala. “But I’m also the curious sort. What do you think I do for a living?”

Bane stopped to think for a second. “Honestly? I’d wager that you’re a part of a security detail or something.”

“Oh? What gave you that impression?”

“You mean besides the way you brought that NPC to his knees back at the inn?”

“NPC?” asked Mia, slightly tilting her head.

“Non-player character,” she smiled, turning her attention back to the lycan. “Close. You’re a bit sharper than I gave you credit for. But no. I was a cop until last year. Now I just occasionally hold close quarter combat trainings for the rest of the squad.”

“Nice!” said Bane, ignoring Vala’s backhanded compliment.

“You?”

“I just run a term-shop with my friend. Though he’s more of a recent addition to the workforce. And Mia, you don’t have to force yourself to answer.”

“N-no, it’s alright,” she said, raising and waving her arms in front of her. “It’s just… I don’t exactly… get around much these days.”

“Hah,” he chuckled, “a few more sessions like this after a nice, warm pizza and I won’t be moving around much either.” The two women laughed, even though Vala’s was more eyeroll than laugh. But Bane couldn’t shake the feeling that Mia’s smile wasn’t as bright as usual. It seemed… forced. “Anyway, we should probably…” His words trailed off when he saw the taur woman gesturing for them to be quiet as she looked around, eyes narrowed.

“Someone’s followed us,” she said, picking up her mace and shield. The other two glanced at the flickering shadows, but they couldn’t see anyone. She motioned for Mia and Bane to get behind her as the fire crackled nearby. But she could’ve sworn that some of those crackles sounded more like twigs and branches snapping.

And as their campfire continued to send trembling shadows all around, the silhouettes of four men came into view in front of them. They all wore flimsy-looking leather armor, their faces covered by makeshift masks and hoods.

“G-give us everything you have,” stammered the hooded man closest to them. “Do that, and we promise that you’ll all walk away unharmed.”

Vala’s eyes narrowed as she slowly raised her shield, taking in the situation. ‘One level 4 and the rest are all level 5… Short range weapons… As long as we can defend Mia, we might be able to pull through.’ She glanced towards Bane. The lycan nodded, nudging Mia behind the two of them. ‘Alright… here goes–’

The hooded man’s arms shot up, jerking as he gargled feebly. He dropped to his knees and collapsed, a bloody spike of ice protruding out of the nape of his neck. The three brigands turned back and stared at the grinning, redheaded mage standing behind them. And as her crimson cloak fluttered to the side, revealing her hand, she conjured another floating icicle above her palm.

 

Hello everyone!

If you like my work, please consider rating and adding this chapter of Prism to your Favorites. Also, any feedback or criticism is more than welcome.

There's also a Patreon page where you can get access to three chapters in advance, and Prism's Discord server (if you want to swing by and chat).

Thanks and take care!

-Req-

2