Chapter 003: The Epitome of Evil
357 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I bit at the inside of lip, fighting hard not despair at the Master’s assertions. Was it true?

Am I evil?

What had I been in my previous life? A serial killer? A mass murderer? A rapist? Heavens forbid, I hope not. I searched deep within myself, yet could detect nothing within me that resonated with the Master’s words. But the Master was still speaking, so I set aside my gnawing worry and listened to him again. I would have to think more on my origins later.

“Regardless, of how you may feel—or think you feel—on the matter,” the Master continued, “if you candidates want to live, you have no choice now but to complete the task I have set before you.”

The Master pointed to another barred door at the room’s far end. “When we are done here, you will proceed through that door. There you will choose your first Class.”

Confused mutterings followed. The Master waved away the candidates’ confusion. “I see some of you have no idea about what I speak of. No matter. Your questions will be answered in due course. Those of you who have tried interacting with the Game will have found it unavailable. This is because I have blocked your access to the Adjudicator, but in the room beyond you will find the Game interfaces available again. It will tell you all you need to know about Classes.”

I scratched at my chin, noting in passing that I had no beard. I knew what Classes were—or thought I did. It is a gaming term. Now how did I know that? Had I played in the Grand Game before?

“Once you have chosen your first Class,” the Master said, “you will move beyond the next room and into the dungeon.”

My ears perked up at that. We were going into a dungeon? That didn’t bode well. I glanced at my flimsy clothes. How will we survive without any gear?

Seeming to read my thoughts, the Master addressed my concern. “Do not fear, each of you will be provided with two pieces of equipment before you venture into the dungeon. Two pieces, mind, no more.” The Master chuckled. “After all, where would the fun be in that? Additionally, I have a gift for each of you.”

The floating black-robed figure raised his hands and muttered words under his breath that I failed to catch. My brows drew down. What was he doing?

I got my answer a moment later, as from somewhere unseen, the drumming of wings filled the air, seemingly as if in answer to the Master’s call.

I glanced upwards at the shadowed ceiling. Sure enough, hundreds of tiny white flying forms were loping about in a furious circle. Where had the birds come from? Had the Master summoned the creatures? And how? I was certain they hadn’t been in the room when we had entered.

The Master dropped his hands, and the birds dove downwards. Passing the black-robed figure, the flock split as individual creatures honed in on a different candidate.

One hurtled directly towards me, seemingly on a collision course with my nose. Hurriedly, I shield my face with my arm while I waited for the inevitable crash.

It did not come.

Lowering my arm, I peeked at the white form hovering in front of me.

It was not a bird.

It was a bat. A fleshless bat.

~~~

I stared in amazement at the skeletal creature in front me. No larger than my hand, the bat held itself stationary in the air with the flapping of its delicate wings. Its bones appeared too fragile to survive against any concerted attack—or keep it airborne for that matter—yet the creature still exuded a cold menace.

As intently as I considered the bat, it studied me in return with the two glowing orbs of arctic light that I took for its eyes.

“Well? Aren’t you going to say anything, human?”

I blinked. The bat had spoken. Its words had echoed eerily though the gaping cavity that was its mouth and were barely understandable. Still, the creature had spoken.

And why not? What’s one more wonder to heap upon all the other strangeness I’ve witnessed?

“Uhm, hi,” I said. “I’m Michael.”

The bat snorted. “I know that. Now do you accept the Pact?”

I blinked again. “Pact?” I asked stupidly. “What Pact?”

Before the small skeleton could answer, the Master resumed speaking. “Before you candidates, you will find the familiar I provide each of you with. The creatures will guide and assist you in your journey through the dungeon. And in return for this: I ask nothing. I’ve unblocked your access to the Adjudicator. Turn your focus inwards and query the Game. You will find the terms of the Pact just as I’ve described. Read it and accept my generous offer.”

I did as the Master asked and more words unfolded in my mind.

Gnat, a level 20 skeletal bat offers you a Pact. If you accept the Pact, for the duration of your time together, Gnat will serve as your familiar and boost your death magic skill by +1 rank. Your familiar cannot participate in combat or defend you in any way. This Pact may be terminated at any time by either party. Do you accept Gnat’s offer?

Ignoring the strangeness of the Game speaking in my mind again, I chewed over the information it had provided. One particular aspect fascinated me beyond all else.

Magic.

The Game’s message implied that in this world, I could cast spells. Despite my concern about entering a dungeon, or my worry that I was the blackest of souls indelibly tainted by evil, the thought that I had magic sparked a joy in me that I found hard to stem. Somehow, I knew that I had never wielded magic before and the thought of doing it on this world excited me no end.

“Magic,” I breathed to Gnat. “Your Pact will let me cast spells?”

The skeletal bobbed in the air. “No, human. I cannot give you what you already have. I sense a deep well of mana at your spirit’s center. You possess magic already. You only have to unlock it, and the Game will allow you do to that without my aid. What I offer through the Pact is the means to advance your necromancy skill beyond levels you could normally. Now do you accept my offer?”

Struggling to contain my excitement, I considered the terms of the Pact again as carefully as I could. The wording seemed simple enough, and I could spot nothing suspicious, or anything that hinted at a hidden meaning. Finding no reason to do otherwise, I voiced my assent. “I accept your bargain.”

You have sealed a Pact with a level 20 skeletal bat. Gnat is now your familiar. You have gained the trait: undead familiar. This trait increases your necromancy skill cap by: +1 rank.

11