Chapter Two – Purpose
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"No longer be human? Tools? Just what kind of plan did God have for humanity?" Elrin asked curiously, not too upset at the thought of no longer being human.

"Just like every other race, there is naturally a higher order predatory species. Humankind also has a predatory species designed for them as well." Rayna spoke gently, as if she were afraid of setting Elrin off.

"So you want me to what? Help create a new species? I don't see where I come into the picture at all." Elrin said with a puzzled look.

"I want you to give up your humanity and become something else. The Higher Order Predatory Species if you will." Rayna didn't say much after that while Elrin was stunned into silence.

"You want me to become a monster or something? How could God expect anyone to become a monster?" Elrin asked with an ugly expression on his face.

"Are humans not also monsters at times? The term monster is relative. Humankind will not survive without you accepting. Are you willing to damn humanity?" Rayna asked with the same polite as ever voice.

"Humanity may not be perfect, but why should I become something that everyone will fear? Isn't humanity able to change, you said so yourself." 

"Humanity will only descend into chaos and madness without His plan. Think carefully and not just based on emotions." Rayna stopped speaking when Elrin's phone rang.

"Hello? Yea, Samantha?" Elrin looked at the screen and saw her name and wondered why she would call this late.

"Help me! I think someon-" Her voice cut off and the sound of struggling came from the other end as well as cursing.

"Samantha! What happened?! Are you there?" Elrin yelled as he looked at his phone in panic! The screen showed that Samantha's phone had hung up.

"Shit! It sounded like she was being kidnapped or something! The police! They can find her!" Elrin dialed the police number and waited.

"Hello? How may I help?" A voice came from the other end and Elrin quickly explained the situation.

"I'm sorry, but we can't send anyone out because it hasn't been over twenty four hours yet. You're welcome to come to the station and repo-" Elrin nearly threw his phone across the room in fury!

"You just don't want to deal with this! I heard her get into an altercation, how is that not enough evidence? She asked for my help!" Elrin roared into the phone.

"Please calm down sir. We simply don't have enough information to start an investigation yet. I will contact my superiors and ask them about this." The line went dead.

Only the light beeping on the other end of the line was audible. Elrin dropped to his knees and wished he had bought a car so he could drive over fast enough!

Dialing Samantha again, other than her voicemail, he got nothing. He nearly raced out of his apartment, but a calm inner voice held him back.

'Even if you can reach over there, it'll be too late. Can you really do anything to save her?' Elrin froze.

'Are humans not also monsters at times?' Rayna's question sounded in his head and with a shocked look, he ran to the ring on the table!

"Can you save her?" Elrin asked with urgency. Who knew what could be happening to her right now?

"I cannot. I do not possess a physical corporeal form. You should let the authorities handle this Elrin." Rayna reminded him.

"They won't make it in time! I could hear the fear in her voice! She would never joke like this!" Elrin yelled as he started to shake in agitation.

"There isn't much you can do. Try and see if other law enforcement is available." Rayna reminded Elrin who shivered in rage.

"I swear, if you harm a single hair on her head! I will make you regret life!" Elrin dialed another number while speaking out loud.

"Hello? This is the Missing Person's charity." After explaining the situation, Elrin once again hung up with an expressionless mask on his face.

"They can't look for her because it's only been half an hour since I've seen her last..." Elrin said in a tone devoid of emotion.

"There is a way..." Rayna said, the red symbols on the ring pulsing gently, appearing dazzling in the low light living room.

"What? What is it?" Elrin asked as picked the ring up and held it near. Rayna couldn't help but want to roll her eyes.

"You can agree to His plan. You will be given the tools required to locate someone easily. It wouldn't be impossible to save her." Rayna didn't say anything else while Elrin froze.

"So this is either let her be harmed or become a monster? Is that it?" Elrin asked with a bitter tone while Rayna spoke calmly.

"I wish I could help you Elrin, believe me. But I cannot. You may be able to, but just because you change, that doesn't make you a monster, what makes you a monster is your choices and actions." Rayna sighed at the end.

"..." Elrin stood frozen for a moment before nodding his head slightly. What Rayna said did make sense.

"Fine, I agree to His plan. What can I do to save Samantha?" Elrin asked hurriedly, recalling the desperation in her voice.

"Place me on your finger. I'm going to infuse you with Cursed Blood, God's limiter for humanity." Rayna said as a red glow rapidly engulfed Elrin.

Elrin felt something worming it's way into his skin, and while the process wasn't pleasant, it didn't cause too much pain.

"Be ready, the transformation normally takes hours. I'll be expediting the process to a few minutes. You will experience a lot of pain. Brace yourself!" Rayna said as a sharp pain ripped through Elrin's core.

As if every cell in his body had been vaporized, Elrin became a mist of blood that rapidly reformed at a speed visible to the naked eye.

His cells which had imperfections were forcefully shattered and remade stronger... perfect. Other than pain, Elrin couldn't think of anything besides his worry for Samantha.

"This is the hard part. God's Hunters, Vampires if you will, are seperated from the Natural Order by Death, you will experience it shortly." Rayna chimed in.

'I'll experience death? Is death worse than this pain? No, even if I must die, I'll make sure whoever hurt her pays!' Elrin felt his mind slowing down.

Before he could think, his mind went blank and every thought faded away. There wasn't anything on the other side, just a blank... A void in his thoughts when he recovered.

"You're almost done. The skin and hair are reforming. The waste products were taken care of by me. You can head out now, go to a place where she would be and begin from there." 

Elrin took a deep breath and walked to the door, his body filling with power. It was as if his strength had been enhanced enough to shatter metal with a single punch.

His eyes, while not finished were breathtaking, a light shade of silver and gold. He could see individual dust notes dancing in the air alongside colors he couldn't have even perceived before.

He could hear his footsteps, each one light. The heartbeat of those in the apartments next to him and above him. Focusing, he could home in on any one, blocking the others out if he wished.

All this happened in the time it took to reach the door, a short four seconds. He could smell smoke, perfume and cologne, the smell of a dog.

The door opening brought with it a wealth of smells, someone could associate and others he couldn't. They were too mixed and melded to be followed.

"You wanted me to track scent, right?" Elrin asked as he leapt over the railing and fell ten feet to the ground, his legs barely feeling the jolt upon impact.

"Indeed. Your speed is anywhere upwards of one hundred and fifty miles an hour and you can easily lift nearly a ton with little effort." Rayna spoke as he took a deep breath.

With little to any hesitation, Elrin ran. His speed quickly increased from a normal human's speed to a blur that vanished into the night.

0